What is the straw situation at your park and how have you responded?

gelatoni fan

DIS Veteran
Since Hong Kong Disneyland has removed plastic straws, I've been trying to find a good solution. They give paper straws upon request but those affect the taste of the drink, don't allow liquid to flow properly and basically turn into a sloppy mess before I can finish my drink. I've tried removing the lid and consuming the beverage without a straw but this has caused me to spill my drink twice already.

Reusable straws don't seem sanitary to me so I recently bought a pack of plastic straws specifically for use at Disneyland. Are other frequent Disney visitors doing the same? I'm also curious how Animal Kingdom handles straws for things like smoothies and Frappuccinos.

AK has always had the paper straws for the safety of the animals.

My issue with it is that it's clearly a cost cutting measure that they are disingenuously labeling "environmentally friendly." Busch Gardens has done the same and a 5 year old trying to drink a slurpee from a paper cup without a straw or lid is just sad...and messy.

That said, my plan is to buy a few mickey straws somewhere at QS and use those. Kids are obsessed anyway.

There are no plastic straws permitted in animal kingdom. They don't provide them and you cannot bring them in.

I think that they still provide straws in the other WDW parks, but I usually ask for a cup with no straw or lid if I think about it. I've never found it difficult to drink without one.

I was given a straw in restaurants when I asked for one. Since we usually drink out of refillable water bottles I didn't need one often.

They still had plastic straws in the dispensers last month at the QS when I looked for them. I prefer to use straws since I have "issues" drinking like a normal person lol.

I do want to add this little anecdote:

We were waiting for a mobile order at Casey's and they had a tray of ice waters on the counter. They did not have straws and lids per the new rule. I saw a kid pick up a cup, drink out of it and put it back. They walked out. I had to tell the woman behind the counter about it and she threw out the cup.

Gross.

I'll need to look into those biodegradable, sturdy straws. I don't need straws if I'm at table service restaurants but it's a different story with quick service where I am likely to carry my food around.

I didn't realize that Magic Kingdom is already without lids. If they're getting rid of lids, I hope they'll start providing the taller, thicker paper cups that are in some of the hotels. The flimsy paper cups they use at most places in the parks plus kids will mean lots of spills.

Just so you know, the corn plastic straws aren't as great as they seem. If corn plastic ends up in the landfill, it takes hundreds of years to biodegrade. In order for it to be composted, it needs to go to an industrial composting facility.

That's part of the reason why I believe the way companies and some governments handle the straw issue is wrong. In the end, consumers are trying to find inferior workarounds which are often still single use items. I think that if governments and companies invested in finding better ways to sort trash or more efficient ways to recycle, they could make a lot more impact without burdening consumers. Disney World seems like the perfect place to try out new trash sorting and recycling technologies if only Disney wanted to invest in that.

I never had problems acquiring straws and lids in September? Aside from Animal Kingdom and AKL of course.

Just so you know, the corn plastic straws aren't as great as they seem. If corn plastic ends up in the landfill, it takes hundreds of years to biodegrade. In order for it to be composted, it needs to go to an industrial composting facility.
Still better than plastic, which will not biodegrade and which requires toxic chemicals to produce. I'm going to use straws, so this is a better option.

There are tons of other single-use items out there ending up in landfills (cups, lids, forks, spoons, etc.) Straws are just the popular ones to bash at the moment...

I use silicone straws that I carry with me. There are tons to choose from on Amazon. As far as the lid situation goes, I plan on taking a canteen with me to battle the spillage. Plus, I will be able to take my beverage with me on rides.

If this were really for an environmental reason, Disney would be using reusable cups as well. I agree with mster on this issue. It is really just giving me a more poor view of companies who use that poor excuse.

Since Hong Kong Disneyland has removed plastic straws, I've been trying to find a good solution. They give paper straws upon request but those affect the taste of the drink, don't allow liquid to flow properly and basically turn into a sloppy mess before I can finish my drink. I've tried removing the lid and consuming the beverage without a straw but this has caused me to spill my drink twice already.

Reusable straws don't seem sanitary to me so I recently bought a pack of plastic straws specifically for use at Disneyland. Are other frequent Disney visitors doing the same? I'm also curious how Animal Kingdom handles straws for things like smoothies and Frappuccinos.
Pack some Twizzler licorice!( I love the strawberry ones) Bite off the ends and you have a straw! It brings back childhood memories!

Are all the WDW parks without lids and straws now? I thought I saw a recent thread that said they still have them. Are they going to be selling reusable cups? I can't picture my kids walking around or even using the stroller cupholders without lids. We'll be spilling everywhere. I'll have to pack some sport bottles or maybe my universal cups if this is the case.

In September we were able to request both straws and lids. There just weren't the usual dispensers around.

I think if they were seriously trying to be earth-friendly, they would offer some incentive for people to bring in their own cups, lids, and straws and have a discount for drinks, etc.
I would prefer to bring my own cup anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!