what is the most annoying thing on a flight

:rotfl:lol just read all of this thread...all i can say is i hope none of you lot are on our flight this christmas:rotfl:

God help anyone on our flight too in October...:rotfl:

My three nephews (2, 6, 9) and my brother (9).....very much 'boys'! Now dont get me wrong, my mum and sister will take plenty for them to do but NINE hours is a long time for children to sit still and be quiet!

Now I have to be honest, I hate the sound of high pitched screaming and 9 times out of 10 its just not necessary and also being kicked, leaned on, having my hair pulled when people lean on my seat, having to endure the smell of armpits when reachin overhead lockers, breath and feet :sick:

All I can say is thank the lord all my 'lot' are in Economy and DF (will be DH on the way back...yey...:bride:) and I are in UC!

Im sure the economy passengers will get their fair share of 'are we there yet', 'how long muuuum', 'im hungry, im bored'...but tucked up in UC, im sure will be bliss! :rotfl2:

Please dont have a go at eachothers pet peeves, im sure people appreciate children who cant help behaving in certain ways or making sudden loud noises and will make exceptions for them. Lets not misunderstand the fact that we complain about 'obvious' naughty children with parents who dont give a damn about other passengers, Orlando isnt just for children so we shouldnt always have to just put up with certain behaviour just because we are going to 'Disney'! DisneyWorld or not, 9 hours is a hell of a long time to watch and listen to very badly behaved children/adults (alcohol induced)!!

We paid for the extra leg room seats in Virgin economy this year . . . we ended up in the seats near the toilet (smelly but bearable). Once the seatbelt sign went off it became apparent that the area near the toilets is used for a regular "get-together" spot for about 50% of passengers! It was terrible. The whole "gap" in front of us which we had paid extra for was full of people all night so we couldn't stretch our legs out without people walking in to them and tripping over them, couldn't put our bags out there as I was worried about our wallets and passports being taken, and couldn't sleep because of the constant loud chatter (as well as the noise of the toilets being flushed). That was a great waste of £150!!!!!

Being a parent of three children myself (5,9,10) i can understand how hard it is to keep children "contained" BUT my worst hate, the one that really gets my blood boiling is one that i have witnessed twice and that is when a child is well over disaplined in a manner that borders abuse.
when we were on our way to disney last time there was a couple and thier child and this child was quite whiny but nothing major then when the child didnt like the in flight meal the mother just grabbed the child lifted her up in to the air and then slapped her bare back as hard as she possible could. this could be heard right accross the plane. It is this behavior i find more disgusting than any other.

well after reading all of this i am really dreading my flight in a few days but i look foward to getting there :-)
VJ

Flew direct from Houston to London - overnight flight.

Family of 3 in front of us - mom, dad, and teenage son. The dad and son were up all night talking, and laughing - complete with overhead light on. As I gave them the evil eye, the son looked at me like I was the one who was crazy for wanting to sleep!

Lisa x
You can get problmes in UC too :goodvibes

One flight back, there were some pax who were being picked up at the airport so sleep was not a problem for them, so they stayed at the bar all night talking away and drinking.
I ended up wearing my Bose QC2's to reduce the noise!

Plus the flight where a person was complaining about everything, the food, the seat comfort, the pillows, the cabin temperature, the wrong gin etc etc. It was their first flight in UC too!

Lisa x
You can get problmes in UC too :goodvibes

One flight back, there were some pax who were being picked up at the airport so sleep was not a problem for them, so they stayed at the bar all night talking away and drinking.
I ended up wearing my Bose QC2's to reduce the noise!

Plus the flight where a person was complaining about everything, the food, the seat comfort, the pillows, the cabin temperature, the wrong gin etc etc. It was their first flight in UC too!

True, true!! Just keep my fingers crossed, its worked so far for our previous UC flights!! :thumbsup2

Although I have to admit, I think it was last year when we went to Orlando, one couple complained about the colour of the pillows, the interior of the cabin and the food.....I was like Jeeeez man, enjoy yourself, your going to the best place in the world!! BUT....no kicking of seats, people leaning over me etc etc.....so for me...UC = Bliss!! :goodvibes

If accompanied by an explanation (ie "I'm sorry, my child is autistic"), then at least I can have some understanding and give a reply of "I understand, no worries".

We are very mindful of having well behaved children. I would never dream of letting them misbehave.

I am sorry but that reads as you have to explain and apologise for a disability. No one should ever have to apologise for a disability.

So my son gets distressed, he cries and cries and takes ages for him to stop. By you reasoning, I would be expected to tell you he is disabled, just for your piece of mind? You see how offensive that sounds?

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required? Not all children can help their behaviour. Lord forbid when or if you have children, that you have to discover this for yourself.

We are very mindful of having well behaved children. I would never dream of letting them misbehave.

I am sorry but that reads as you have to explain and apologise for a disability. No one should ever have to apologise for a disability.

So my son gets distressed, he cries and cries and takes ages for him to stop. By you reasoning, I would be expected to tell you he is disabled, just for your piece of mind? You see how offensive that sounds?

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required? Not all children can help their behaviour. Lord forbid when or if you have children, that you have to discover this for yourself.

As the parents of an autistic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

I didn't think the comment sounded offensive at all - especially as autism and other conditions like it are often seen as 'invisible' disabilities.
No-one should ever have to explain or apologize for any disability, but how can people be expected to be tolerant if they aren't aware of what the problem may be.

As the parents of an autstic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

I didn't think the comment sounded offensive at all - especially as autism and other conditions like it are often seen as 'invisible' disabilities.
No-one should ever have to explain or apologize for any disability, but how can people be expected to be tolerant if they aren't aware of what the problem may be.

Totally agree :thumbsup2

As the parents of an autstic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

well said :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

See I didn't mean in that way. But I believe Pegasus928 explained it better than I would. It helps to be tolerant and understanding if you know the circumstances.

Anyway, your last comment can also be seen as extremely ignorant and offensive.
Let me tell you a story of what happened to a friend of mine who gets that comment at times and every single time it put her close to depression.
She and her DH had been trying for years to get a child. After several treatments of IVF and going through some really rough times, they had given up. About 2 years after giving up, she got pregnant. They were obviously extremely delighted. However, she went into early labour and the baby was born at 27 weeks (or thereabouts), so for weeks her baby boy was in intensive care and for a long time it really was a matter of touch and go. After 3 months in hospital, they finally got to take their son home, but the struggle wasn't over yet. He got ill very easily for a long time, was obviously behind in growth, had trouble learning to walk, and they still didn't know if he would have any permanent brain damage as he was starved of oxigen at birth. At age 2, it looks like he made it through the worst and is doing well. Then 5 months ago, they're in a car accident and their son died. Can you begin to imagine what they have gone through??? Can you begin to imagine how much it hurts for her to get the comment "you'd understand if you'd have kids" given to her by perfect strangers???

People with kids often don't realise how painful it can be to say such a thing to other people. For all you know they might be desperate to have kids and such comments only rub it in that they don't have any. Or worse, they might have lost a child.

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too?

People with kids often don't realise how painful it can be to say such a thing to other people. For all you know they might be desperate to have kids and such comments only rub it in that they don't have any. Or worse, they might have lost a child.

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too?

Neoshoegal, im so glad you said this, I had to second Pegasus' comment and found it hard not to go into the exact thing you mention above.

Without going into too much detail about my personal life, I too would love a child but its not going to be easy for me, if at all.

A lot of people with children throw this comment around like its nothing...so yes...''Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too? ''

People who are drunk and rowdy and people who blatantly streeetch out into your space... I know it's cramped in economy but when someone's knees are digging into yours it's a bit much! To be honest in all the flights i've been on the children have put the adults to shame ;)

Neoshoegal, im so glad you said this, I had to second Pegasus' comment and found it hard not to go into the exact thing you mention above.

Without going into too much detail about my personal life, I too would love a child but its not going to be easy for me, if at all.

A lot of people with children throw this comment around like its nothing...so yes...''Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too? ''

Tonight, when i was ready to murder my ASD son, a very close friend came round to tell me she had finally been told she would never concieve after 3 years of various treatment and having lost 10 stone to under go IVF....
I think we all need to calm down, its a very sensitive subject, the ability to have children or not, alot of people (and i dont mean my fellow dissers:goodvibes) probabaly dont deserve to have children, we all know people who neglect or "hit" theit kids more than they should, hey ive been involved in too many child protection cases to be naive and think this stuff doesnt happen.
im also on the side of uncovering "hidden" disabilities, to advertise this we printed t shirts anyone who saw ds, also saw his autism speaks tshirt. I also totally respect that some poeple do not feel comfortable with the same exposure.
surely this thread was about annoying things on flights, not about throwing personal abuse???
Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter