What is the minimum age you'd take a child to Aulani?

Depending on when the trip is, Aunty's might not even be open, or with very limited hours/capacity. I would not plan my trip to depend on sending my kids there. Also, not all children will enjoy going there. When we went on the Disney cruises, my oldest LOVED the kids clubs all the way until she aged out of them. I had to force her to leave for meals and to spend a bit of time with us. LOL My youngest hated them and spent all of her time with me. I would caution people to not plan a family vacation based on childcare.
Good point. But OP is talking about taking her kid in 2023 when he's 5 or 6. If Aunty's hasn't re-opened in some capacity by then... yikes!

I agree that a trip shouldn't be planned around it, but its one of the unique features of the resort for a family with a kid that age. OP didn't say what their other plans are but if their trip will be resort-heavy, I would think it would be a deciding factor.

Are you referring to the current COVID closure, or does Aunty's close down seasonally even during "normal times"?
Pre-covid, Aunty's never closed seasonally. Once it does eventually re-open, it remains to be seen how it will operate. Will they re-open at limited capacity? Will they re-open with reservations required? Will they only be open during peak season? No one knows, so stay tuned!

Pre-covid, Aunty's never closed seasonally. Once it does eventually re-open, it remains to be seen how it will operate. Will they re-open at limited capacity? Will they re-open with reservations required? Will they only be open during peak season? No one knows, so stay tuned!
I was under the impression that there was some kind of covenant in the Aulani DVC language that actually required it to be open (though obviously not if the State won't allow it to be). Maybe I made that up in my mind.

I was under the impression that there was some kind of covenant in the Aulani DVC language that actually required it to be open (though obviously not if the State won't allow it to be). Maybe I made that up in my mind.
Could be, but if that were the case, I would think it would have re-opened with the resort but at a limited capacity? I'm not sure. I know DVC resorts re-opened at WDW before any other resort, because of the requirement within the contracts, but I'm not sure if it applies to Aunty's. Hopefully a DVCer can confirm.

I'd say it depends. Do you vacation for your kids? Or do you vacation where you want to go and bring the kids along? We always chose destinations we wanted to see and the kids came along (or not), depending on if we could afford to bring them or had options to leave them home with family. I think once they are potty trained since a lot of the fun of Aulani is water-based, and like others have mentioned old enough to visit Aunty's, would be an ideal time if you are planning this for their sake.

Nothing in the DVC contract about Aunty's. There is no way that they would make that something that is "guaranteed" in the sale of a DVC contract.

any age is fine. Really it depends on sleeping habits. If you are travelling from a long distance, which most people are, and you kid has sleeping problems the jet lag will not help at all

Y'all, I am CHOMPING AT THE BIT to go to Aulani. Obviously not this year or maybe even not next year, either. But my question is: what age is the minimum you think a child should be to enjoy Aulani? My son is 3 and will be 4 in the fall. If we are talking 2023, he'd be 5 or 6. Is that too little? I know he won't remember much but will he enjoy it? He loves to swim, loves to hike, etc. I know this is a really child-dependent/personal decision but I appreciate any ideas!

Thanks for your thoughts!
Hi there! We actually just go back a couple weeks ago and have booked to go again at the end of April we loved it so much. We went for our youngest's 3rd birthday and our older one is 6 1/2. They loved it!! They enjoyed the pools, the little activities the resort has (including the scavenger hunt), and just tons more. We also went to a cove that was within walking distance to swim in the ocean and got to see turtles and a seal which they thought that was the best. We did a lot off the resort too and tried to include them in it all: shark diving, climbing, waterfalls, going to north shore, and a few more activities. We felt it was worth it and that they enjoyed enough to rebook so soon.

The OP's profile says they are from Florida. My question would be why go all the way to Hawaii instead of Disney in Orlando? A small child will enjoy the amusement parks way more then a fancy hotel.
I own at Aulani and I live right next to Disneyland. I've done to Disneyland with my kids more times than I can count and they would rather be at the Aulani water area. It's like a water park and my kids LOVE it. Aulani is way more than a fancy hotel. I'm taking my 6 month old and 5 year old in June.

Thank you all for your thoughts! It seems like the biggest hurdle would be the flight...

The OP's profile says they are from Florida. My question would be why go all the way to Hawaii instead of Disney in Orlando? A small child will enjoy the amusement parks way more then a fancy hotel.
We are lucky enough to go to WDW super frequently. We are DVC Members, Annual Passholders, and my FIL works for the Mouse. Just looking for a change and something extra exciting!
Why are you saying "obviously not this year and maybe not next year"?
Mostly COVID and because I'm not sure if I want to fly from FL to HI with my 3 year old yet. :crazy:

Thank you all for your thoughts! It seems like the biggest hurdle would be the flight...

We are lucky enough to go to WDW super frequently. We are DVC Members, Annual Passholders, and my FIL works for the Mouse. Just looking for a change and something extra exciting!

Mostly COVID and because I'm not sure if I want to fly from FL to HI with my 3 year old yet. :crazy:
I've posted it elsewhere but I don't' think in this thread yet. With young kids, I highly recommend the direct flight on Hawaiian Airlines from Boston, Orlando, or New York, but to take an overnight pit stop in a California hotel on the way home. The Hawaiian Airlines "Extra Comfort" upgrade is worth it if you can get a seat in row 11 or 12.

We first took our son to Aulani when he was 3. Traveled from Pennsylvania. Honestly, he did better on the flight then we did. It was a great trip. Definately not too young. He spent time at Auntie's Beach House and we also traveled all over the island. He may not remember this trip, but it was still worth it. We have since been back when he was 5 and 7. Each trip is just as nice but the kids enjoy different things each trip - but he always loves Auntie's. So I say any age is good, but I probably wouldn't do it before 3 as they couldn't go to the kids club. Sadly, my son is almost too big for it now, which makes me really sad! I want to get one more trip in before he outgrows it!

I think 5 or 6 is a great age to visit Aulani IF you think you'll also get back. Kids will have tons of fun around the resort and probably other places, but I don't think they would get the full effect of places like Pearl Harbor and the hikes until they're old enough to remember it all. So if you can get back when they're a teen, I would definitely do it. For a once in a lifetime trip, wait a little while.

I would think the bigger question would be can they handle the flight? Although they don’t have the issues with leg room that grown people have! Mine have done a million 10-12 hour car trips, so I think they would’ve been fine on a long flight as littles. And idk where you’re flying from, so it might not be as bad as our east coast journey.
This is the deciding factor for me. We're in PA and I've done the flight to Hawaii before. There's no way we'll even consider a trip until my youngest (now 2) is 4-5 years old minimum due to the length of the flight. It's for my own sanity as well as the sanity of those around me.

I think 5 or 6 is a great age to visit Aulani IF you think you'll also get back. Kids will have tons of fun around the resort and probably other places, but I don't think they would get the full effect of places like Pearl Harbor and the hikes until they're old enough to remember it all. So if you can get back when they're a teen, I would definitely do it. For a once in a lifetime trip, wait a little while.

You don't always have to wait to do things so you "might" remember. You can just enjoy the experience while you are having them. There are things that I did as a teenager that I don't remember but I have memories from a much younger age. There is no guarantee of what someone will remember. Plus, you never know what life brings. Putting everything off until "later" when a later might not come. You might become sick, or lose your good job and can't afford things. Anything can happen. Enjoy life while you can.

Last edited:
You don't always have to wait to do things so you "might" remember. You can just enjoy the experienced while you are having them. There are things that I did as a teenager that I don't remember but I have memories from a much younger age. There is no guarantee of what someone will remember. Plus, you never know what life brings. Putting everything off until "later" when a later might not come. You might become sick, or lose your good job and can't afford things. Anything can happen. Enjoy life while you can.

I understand what you're saying, but there are also activities that are more age appropriate when you're older. I remember the vacations we took as a family when I was 11 or 13 way better than the ones we took when I was 5, and somewhere like Pearl Harbor or hiking in Hawaii is something I don't think a 5 year old is going to get anything out of. There is a huge difference in awareness between 5 and 10 years old.

my kids are 7&9. I will not be taking them to Hawaii for a few years and by then they will prob be too old for the Disney allure. My concern is 1, a total of 10 hours of flights not including the layover in LAX. Then the 5 hour time difference to adjust to when we get there and then when we get back. I went once, pre kid. And by the time I adjusted to the time difference it was time to come home. Then our flight home, the only option left hawaii at 9 pm. So we were up and had to check out by 11 am. Then the 5 hr flight to la, we landed at 530 ish Pacific time. then another 5 hr flight to missouri, so we were up and going for more than 24 hrs.

I understand what you're saying, but there are also activities that are more age appropriate when you're older. I remember the vacations we took as a family when I was 11 or 13 way better than the ones we took when I was 5, and somewhere like Pearl Harbor or hiking in Hawaii is something I don't think a 5 year old is going to get anything out of. There is a huge difference in awareness between 5 and 10 years old.

But that is true for ALL ages. They have activities for young kids too. All ages are great for their own reasons, IMO. We have travelled all over the place with our kids since they were a year old. They each had their own wonderful moments. And why does a 5 yo need to get "anything out of" a trip to Hawaii other then having fun? Kids grow very fast and if you keep waiting for the "perfect" time, you might never go or you might miss out. I am a believer in not missing out since we have had too many family members die young and miss out because they were "waiting" for whatever reason.

But that is true for ALL ages. They have activities for young kids too. All ages are great for their own reasons, IMO. We have travelled all over the place with our kids since they were a year old. They each had their own wonderful moments. And why does a 5 yo need to get "anything out of" a trip to Hawaii other then having fun? Kids grow very fast and if you keep waiting for the "perfect" time, you might never go or you might miss out. I am a believer in not missing out since we have had too many family members die young and miss out because they were "waiting" for whatever reason.

I'm speaking as a 27 year old without kids, but if my parents took me somewhere great, like Hawaii or Paris or any other expensive, far away destination, when I was 5 but never again, and I didn't remember it, then I would've wanted them to wait. It's the same reason they left me with my aunt when they went to Italy, because I was a toddler and wouldn't know what was going on. It would've been a waste of money. We went to the beach a lot as kids, but we went to a family member's beach house and didn't spent huge amount of money on a vacation until I was 11. And I suppose I'm fortunate that none of my close family really died until I was in college (or they past away before I was born). But if I just want little kids to have fun, I would probably do Disney World or the beach first, then Hawaii once they'll at least remember it. Hawaii is a much bigger event in my mind since I'm coming from the east coast and can fly to Orlando for $200.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter