What is the deal with trash in the halls?

I wondered about the use of the word tray, too. If a room service tray is what Colleen is talking about, the guests were just following normal procedures. We used room service at BCV three times I think last week and each time were told to call to have it picked up or just place the tray outside the door. We always do the latter. It never seems too long before it's picked up.

Did see someone toss a pile of pool towels outside their door. Geesh!

Actually, pennying in can work even if the door opens in (this comes from experience, I am sad to admit). The pennies put sufficient stress on the latch that the door handle can not be turned, thereby trapping the person inside (but not doing any damage to the door in my experience). I think it is a funny, but not serious, suggestion that gave me a laugh this morning! Thinking about it is funny; doing it would not be.

baloo 722--Careful, you are moving to the dark side if you start agreeing with me.;) Another thing that people do is leave their trash in the ordinary trash pales that are outside at OKW. In the heat this can get real bad quickly. A lot of people do not know about these trash areas.

I am afraid, I am very afraid...pretty soon I'll be saying we need armed guards to make sure only OKW people ride the boats to DD. lol:tongue:

baloo 722--oh yes, you have crossed over!! You are beginning to get the hang of it--armed guards to check for the boat to DD, that is a good idea, but if the guys driving the boats would do their job and check the tickets(keys) like they are suppose to we would not have to have armed guards. I would prefer to use my dues to pay for life guards to stop those kids from jumping in the pools--no need to shoot them, well, maybe their parents if they can be hunted down.;) I wonder how much armed guards would cost us. If they never shot anyone would it be worth the money. Welcome to the dark side! :bounce: :bounce:

I am actually beginning to like someone that i vehemently disagree 99.9 % of the time....and this time the person is not my wife!

OF COURSE I would never REALLY penny anyone in! I am a worrier, always the person saying "It's funny 'til someone loses an eye..." "Pennying in" made me nervous in college... even then I would think "But what if there is a fire???" I was just mad thinking about that trash sitting there, twenty feet from the trash room, and I recalled the "pennying in " from my college days. Sorry... It was late and I was tired, I guess.

I hereby decalare myself blameless if anyone from the Boards tries pennying for ANY reason. Besides, we really do all need to save our pennies for the press-machines.

PS: It really did work. Our dorm doors "opened in" and with those darn pennies in there, you were stuck. They act like a deadbolt! :)

While we were at the BCVs this past Easter, we were in the room during T & T. Imagine MY shock when we left the room and our trash was left in the hall by the housekeeper! I remembered all the threads on this board and I grabbed that trash and ran it to the trash room!

It was late in the day when she came to do the room, too.

I used to be very critical of the people in the rooms who had trash out in the halls, until I realized that sometimes it was NOT them that did it!

pin

Originally posted by colleen costello
OF COURSE I would never REALLY penny anyone in! I am a worrier, always the person saying "It's funny 'til someone loses an eye..." "Pennying in" made me nervous in college... even then I would think "But what if there is a fire???" I was just mad thinking about that trash sitting there, twenty feet from the trash room, and I recalled the "pennying in " from my college days. Sorry... It was late and I was tired, I guess.

I hereby decalare myself blameless if anyone from the Boards tries pennying for ANY reason. Besides, we really do all need to save our pennies for the press-machines.

PS: It really did work. Our dorm doors "opened in" and with those darn pennies in there, you were stuck. They act like a deadbolt! :)
YOu could always use a large screw in the space between the door and the door jam instead of pennies. It would be easy to remove from the outside, still trying to figure out how the pennies act like a deadbolt. What am I saying, that's a terrible idea....forget it. The worse I would suggest is to tie their trashbag to thier door handle as a reminder, but I think a note is the best route, and do not attach the note to the door with a screw ladged between the door and jam, simple tape will do.

Originally posted by Richyams
These Brits, always trying to be above everyone else, they don't even have trash or garbage, Hilary, of course, has 'rubbish'

Rich, I am not a Brit, but, I also have rubbish. Garbage goes down the disposal, trash is someone who wears little or nothing, ie: Brittany Spears and rubbish is what you throw away. :)

I took what Colleen said as a joke. I doubt she would do something like that.

Colleen,

I took your comment as a joke only! Really you could tell you were just frustrated.

Tagrel your idea of the notes are funny! You will have to post those on your site for a download. Whether the trash people have intentionally left their "rubbish" in the hallway or not, this would probably curtail the problem!!!!;)

Have a wonderful safe trip and as always I look forward to reading your interesting trip reports.

P.S. Your kids are adorable.

Originally posted by lampy
I must agree, I think the OP is just trying to make her point.

I have placed a small note on the door stating: Please remove your trash, this is a note from an owner, not housekeeping. A trash room is down the hall. It is not housekeeping's responsibiltity to remove your trash. Please help keep my resort looking good.

Next day the trash was gone. I have no idea who took care of it though.
Great suggestion!

Mine would be to stay at OKW!;) :p We don't have hallways there, and folks would KNOW you left your trash out. You will be the only one having to step over it too!

Originally posted by wilderness01
... Tagrel your idea of the notes are funny! You will have to post those on your site for a download. Whether the trash people have intentionally left their "rubbish" in the hallway or not, this would probably curtail the problem!!!!;)

Have a wonderful safe trip and as always I look forward to reading your interesting trip reports.

P.S. Your kids are adorable.

Nope, not my idea, it was Richyams! Gotta give credit where it is due! :teeth:

But you're right! I'll have to make some DVC themed "It's Not Appreciated" cards to leave on the door of offending rooms! ;) LOL!

Thanks for the good trip wishes. We're all excited about the upcoming trip, and I look forward to putting together another Trip Report!

Just an FYI here. We were at Vero Beach last week and did a trash collection of our room with full intention of finding the trash/recycle room. We walked out and asked the cleaning crew where the room was. They said to just leave it outside the door and they'll pick up for us. So go figure.:rolleyes:

....trash is someone who wears little or nothing, ie: Brittany Spears
Well, can't really go along with this definition, especially directed twards someone who started out as a Disney girl....

Trash is what I sometimes read......

Let me correct myself then.....Richyams your idea is funny and would probably work. Unfortunately sometimes shame does work in everyone else's favor!!!

I was employed as a locksmith for 20 years and repaired many doors in college dormatories that were damaged from "pennying-in." So if the danger you would be placing another guest in doesn't matter, think of the cost in dues needed to replace door hardware. :mad:

Originally posted by colleen costello
We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk.

You were drunk in college????

PS If you penny in Rich while he is in the OKW GV that will give him more time to spend measuring the size of the room. :jester:

Originally posted by gayleBWV
When we were at BWV last month, on our cleaning day we came back to our room and the trash and the sheets were in the hallway outside our door. I also saw this on other days outside other rooms. This makes me think that there is a separate "trash collection person" that picks up later, as it was gone when we went out later. This may not be any less annoying that the housekeepers left out the trash, but someone passing by may have thought it was us.....

We ran into the same thing at BCV in May. I was NOT happy that our garbage was sitting in the hallway because 1)it looks "trashy" to say the least, and 2)trash invariably has some personal items in it which you would just as soon not have displayed in clear plastic bags to whomever happens to wander by. If you saw a lot of trash in the halls, I don't think that I would assume that it was from guests throwing their full bags out in the hall, but seems to be the way the resorts are often handling cleaning and trash collection.

I find it sad that someone would consider leaving snotty notes or locking people in their rooms [haha, right] or tying garbage to the doors where trash is left without knowing for certain that the guests had left the trash in an inappropriate area. Speaking of rudeness and lack of class..........

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Well, can't really go along with this definition, especially directed twards someone who started out as a Disney girl....

Trash is what I sometimes read......

I can go along with that, but, I still hold solid on my Brit Spears definition. :) Obviously, people change, she is no Disney girl now. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter