What is the deal with trash in the halls?

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
SO? What is the deal with trash in the hallways? We were just at the VWL and I kept passing one room with trash just left outside in the hallway. I found this so offensive! The housekeepers are gone by the afternoon so it sat there for hours! What bugged me was that just a few doors down our hallway from where the trash sat, was a room marked "trash" which was unlocked. I brought my room trash and recyclables here once. Yikes! I was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

Do people think there are trash fairies? Does room service TELL people to put the trash out in the hall? Could this be why ants are invading some resorts???

We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk. Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them! I always have pennies anyhow (for the pressed penny machines...). They will have to call to be let out and then they can be forced to empty their trash...

Originally posted by colleen costello
SO? What is the deal with trash in the hallways? We were just at the VWL and I kept passing one room with trash just left outside in the hallway. I found this so offensive! The housekeepers are gone by the afternoon so it sat there for hours! What bugged me was that just a few doors down our hallway from where the trash sat, was a room marked "trash" which was unlocked. I brought my room trash and recyclables here once. Yikes! I was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

Do people think there are trash fairies? Does room service TELL people to put the trash out in the hall? Could this be why ants are invading some resorts???

We used to "penny in" at college -- shove pennies into doorjams so dorm room residents couldn't get out. Yes, I know -- fire hazard. Sorry, we were drunk. Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them! I always have pennies anyhow (for the pressed penny machines...). They will have to call to be let out and then they can be forced to empty their trash...

What happens if the person you "penny in" did not leave the trash there but housekeeping or someone else did. I don't care for trash in the halls either but before I would endanger someone's life with a fire hazard I would call the Front Desk and have them deal with it, or just be a good neighbor and dump it myself.

Probably not such a good idea.

1. What do you suppose the cost of repairing the damaged door jambs would be?

2. What do you suppose the cost would be of liberating those people trapped in their rooms?

3. What do you suppose the criminal and/or civil liability would be for those perpetrating this, should some injury be incurred?

4. Who do you suppose would end up paying for options 1 and 2? I'm guessing member dues.

Not to mention, I don't see how placing pennies in door jambs would prevent them from opening.

Originally posted by colleen costello
Anyhow, I vote that all DVC members start "pennying in" any folks who put trash in the hallways. That'll teach them!

I have to say, I find this suggestion just about as repugnant as the trash in the hallways and if I caught you doing this to my door, I'd be placing a call to the police.

Was I the only one who thought this suggestion was meant to be a joke? I didn't take it seriously for a minute.

I thought I have seen everything on this board but there is always one more surprise-locking people in their rooms-this suggestion takes even me by surprise. This subject comes up a number of times on this board, it happens at BWV also. I think that the new members do not realize that they should take the garbage out themselves if they need to, at OKW every building has a special large closet down on the bottom floor for garbage. I am sure the other DVC sites have the same. Some people just don't get this idea that these are suppose to be long term places to stay where you take care of your garbage and the rest of your room.

On first floor rooms, the people could still exit through the patio.

I have hung the bags on their doorknobs.

The housekeeping staff leaving the garbage in the hall would make it even worse.

I don't understand how that penny thing would work either.

I have an idea, tape a paper sign on it, write "Do not touch, I was too stupid to put this in the trash myself"

Maybe it will still be there when they get back. I do like the idea of hanging it on their doorknob. If its the maid, even better, then the member will call and complain about it, maybe the maid will hear about it and learn.

Gee...I also took this to be a joke by Colleen! I just thought she was trying to make her point about this annoying habit!

I noticed a couple of rooms that were leaving trash in the hallway during my last stay at VWL too. The trash bags were neatlly tied and left outside the room similar to how people leave room service leftovers in the hallway.

I have a suspicion that someone (bell services?) has told these people that it is okay to do this. I have a hard time believing that people would just dump their trash in the hallway on the assumption that housekeeping would pick it up rather than let it sit there.

Colleen....we use those trash collection areas on each floor quite a bit since they also allow for separation of recycling materials. And goodness knows we tend to generate our share of trash...recyclable and non-recyclable! :)

I must agree, I think the OP is just trying to make her point.

I have placed a small note on the door stating: Please remove your trash, this is a note from an owner, not housekeeping. A trash room is down the hall. It is not housekeeping's responsibiltity to remove your trash. Please help keep my resort looking good.

Next day the trash was gone. I have no idea who took care of it though.

I finally agree with pa@okw!

We stayed at BWV using our points for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea about a trash room. I assumed that since we do not recieve daily housekeeping we were to leave the trash as one would room service. In fact, I saw another room doing that. So, I put a bag out. The next morning it was gone. That evening, I was getting off of the elevator and noticed some small print on a room location sign that said (i think) rubbish room. from that point on, I took everything in there.

We haven't ever left our rubbish in the hallway, but we have never used the trash rooms either - because we didn't know they existed for members to use! Now we do know (from posts like this) we'll be sure to use them in future, instead of struggling to fit our trash bags in the ordinary trash bins at the resort :rolleyes:.

I'm sure it would make this kind of thing much less frequent an occurence if there was a simple list of 'tips to make your stay run smoothly' (or something similar) in each vacation home explaining all the 'little' things that new members can't be expected to guess.

was finally going to remove this tray and then it was gone.

The use of the word "tray" makes me wonder whether this was trash from room service. I've seen people leave room service trays in the halls at many hotels. This may be what is happening here, too. This thread has also brought up the problems of people copying what they've seen others do and also not understanding the policy. And I bet there are those who are just taking advantage of the situation. They leave it out there and it disappears eventually. Why strain themselves....that same selfish attitude that we see everywhere today.

I also think Colleen was just venting and making her point with the "penny" idea.

I think the welcome letters do contain the info about where to put the garbage but I can't be sure. It seems that no matter how often DVC writes something up it still gets missed. Just the other day someone posted about pool hopping and had no idea SAB was now off-limits. It's been over a year since DVC began including this information in every mention of pool hopping. People skim, they don't always "read". ;)

Hilary....the same thought occurred to me after I posted. Why doesn't DVD include this in your check-in packet? They already have other things...and I think a sheet about "making your stay easier" would be a great idea.

They could also include the fact that if you need the maintenance people, you call housekeeping. Maybe that's obvious to everyone else, but I looked at that phone for a good while trying to figure out which department to call...and ended up calling the operator! :)

Originally posted by Richyams
...I have an idea, tape a paper sign on it, write "Do not touch, I was too stupid to put this in the trash myself"

LOL! THAT idea I like. I think I'll print up a few of those and bring them along next week! :teeth:

Question though: Most hotels/resorts with room service seem to have people place the food trays in the hall for later pickup. What is the correct proceedure at DVC resorts with Room Service? Are we supposed to take the 'leftovers' to the trash room as well? I don't wanna get a 'Hey Stupid' sign myself! :D

When we were at BWV last month, on our cleaning day we came back to our room and the trash and the sheets were in the hallway outside our door. I also saw this on other days outside other rooms. This makes me think that there is a separate "trash collection person" that picks up later, as it was gone when we went out later. This may not be any less annoying that the housekeepers left out the trash, but someone passing by may have thought it was us. Although, I'm not sure what someone might have thought about the sheets!! Gayle

These Brits, always trying to be above everyone else, they don't even have trash or garbage, Hilary, of course, has 'rubbish'

I also think the OP was just making a point and not seriously considering that use of a penny.

The comments about including trash information in the check-in packages or better yet in an in-room notice, would be great for those who are unaware of how the DVC resorts work.

If its a room service tray, then I am not suprised as room service generally tells you just that -- "Put it outside your door when you are finished and call to let us know".

Originally posted by WolfpackFan
I have to say, I find this suggestion just about as repugnant as the trash in the hallways and if I caught you doing this to my door, I'd be placing a call to the police.
Ahhh Ha!!!! That means you must be leaving your rubbish in the halls!!!! We caught you!!!

Seriously, doesn't sound like a good plan with the pennies, but it's interesting college folklore. I like the note on the door idea, asking people to properly dispose of thier rubbish. WolfpackFan, consider this your note. No more rubbish in the halls :)

Originally posted by Richyams
These Brits, always trying to be above everyone else, they don't even have trash or garbage, Hilary, of course, has 'rubbish'
Doh! ... and I try so hard to use US-speak here!

Of course, being British, maybe I wouldn't even understand what was meant by 'Trash Room' if I'd seen the sign on the door ;) :teeth:

Penny idea wouldn't work anyway, since the doors open inwards. You need to be able to slide the penny between the opening edge of the door and the jam, filling the space left to allow the door edge to clear the jam when opening. So, the pennies would need to be inserted from the inside of the rooms.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the process listed above and would never "penny" anyone into their room. ;) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter