what is the best socks for a diabetic

April in Disney

Thinks Johnny Trojan is cuter than Johnny Depp; He
My DH is has had diabetes for the last 18 years. I remember reading a packing list thread last year somewhere on this website that was mentioning cotton socks are not really the best options for diabetics. What is the best footware option?

I'm daibetic. I hate the *New* socks with Lycra in them. They squeeze so tight, till my feet hurt so bad I can't wait to get them OFF!!

I use to waer Peds as they were and all cotton sock but now they went to that blasta Lycra. Now I don't know what to do???

A diabetic friend of mine once mentioned that her socks were so expensive because they had no seams :confused: but the seams in ordinary socks hurt my friend's feet (and as you know, diabetics must be very careful with their feet).

I think she got them at an outdoor sports speciality store (where they had hiking equipment). You might try someplace like that (unfortunately, I can't ask my friend, she passed away several years ago :( )

I wear Thorlo walking socks and find them very comfortable.

Here's the Thorlo Web site. I noticed it has a link to find a dealer who sells them at the top of the page.

Also, the reason that cotton socks might not be the best is that they absorb sweat and then stay wet against your skin. When I was in Nursing School, we told people to wear cotton socks, but that was because the alternatives were nylon or polyester, which don't absorb at all (and also tend to be too thin to cushion). Socks like Thorlo provide the advanateg of absorbancy without the risk of keeping your skin wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter