• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the approximate # days to break even on an annual pass?

Scanned at the gate.
Ok TY for the response Just so I'm clear, you can purchase and link to MDE and make FP reservations if/when they come back but the AP will only activate upon actual entry into a park? If a trip is cancelled the AP remains unused and the expiration clock doesn't start ticking?

Ok TY for the response Just so I'm clear, you can purchase and link to MDE and make FP reservations if/when they come back but the AP will only activate upon actual entry into a park? If a trip is cancelled the AP remains unused and the expiration clock doesn't start ticking?
That is correct.

Also...

If you have purchased an AP and linked to MDE and then take a trip and purchase tickets your AP clock does not start ticking. The clock doesn't start ticking until you use your AP.

Keep in mind the that cost of the tickets is just one part of the expense of a Disney trip. You can reduce what you are paying per day to enter the parks, but you will still be buying theme park food, staying in hotels, paying for transportation, buying merchandise, etc.

Thus, while you may be able to "save" some money, you are likely going to spend a lot of money over the course of your year of AP membership.

If you do buy an annual pass, you should use it to take full advantage, but don't forget about all the other expenses.

You’ll likely need to go to a ticket booth or Guest Relations prior to this to get your AP card. You’ll need it to get any discounts.
And just to clarify, this applies to an initial AP. If you renew an AP, the renewal begins at the end of the last AP, not first use again.

And just to clarify, this applies to an initial AP. If you renew an AP, the renewal begins at the end of the last AP, not first use again.

I thought so too, but read where one person who renewed had to go to GR to activate it. So now I don’t know. I guess I should know next month when my AP renews. If it still says renewal certificate after 9/15, I’ll assume I need to stop by GR or a ticket booth.

I thought so too, but read where one person who renewed had to go to GR to activate it. So now I don’t know. I guess I should know next month when my AP renews. If it still says renewal certificate after 9/15, I’ll assume I need to stop by GR or a ticket booth.
DVC APs have to be activated whether new or renewal, because a CM has to see the DVC member’s blue member card and photo ID to confirm eligibility for the discounted AP. I’m not sure about Florida residents - I think they can confirm eligibility online. Guests with non-discounted APs don’t need to activate a renewal.

One of the factors for me getting an AP was the discount on a room at GF. We were doing a family trip and usually get Military Discount on resort rooms, but max # of rooms for that is 3 and we had 4 rooms. The upgraded cost of my pass (vs the Salute Ticket) more than made up for the discount. So, if you stay on site a lot (non-DVC) that's a consideration.

Also, if you buy a lot of merch or dine out, consider the AP discount on those things to at select places. While 10% isn't a lot, it does add up.

I renewed, though, simply because I enjoy going 😅 . And with the AP, I'm more likely to book a short trip - or be talked into meeting friends.

Used to be 10. That is not the case anymore. Break-even is about 14 days. 15+ days to make it worth it.
Sounds about right. We stopped buying AP when it doubled in price. I don’t understand why WDW makes out of state buy the most expensive pass. who live furthest away. We are on the west coast. Used to do 2 trips a year back when an AP break even was 10 days. I don’t care about memory maker. Masks on rides. And most of the photos from the photographers don’t come out well. At least last time.
Now I’m a Universal passholder, can choose what tier works for us, and have replaced the second WDW trip a year with Universal.

Part of my wanting an AP is the PhotoPass, so I consider that cost as well. I'll need to see the new AP details to determine my personal "break even" point. I get discounts elsewhere so it's the entry plus photos and if DVC/other discount for my personal calculation. YMMV

Whether it is a DVC Gold or a Platinium, using the last prices, what are the approximately break even points for one or two trips a year?

When the cost of an AP would be cheaper than the total price you would be paying in individual park tickets. That's my break even point.

If you are staying at a wdw resort, make sure to factor in any ap discounts you can get on your room. That could be a game changer.

We are out of state AP holders. We renewed our AP a few weeks ago while we are at the parks.

I asked and the CM informed me we went to the parks 28 days on our current AP.

Her reaction was that one of our AP basically paid for the parking alone ($25 x 28 days = $700). We have the DVC Gold Passes.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of every cent we spend from the moment we left home until we returned. Those AP discounts do start adding up. Even buying the occasional soda, I would try and buy in a "store" so I can get the discount.

We are out of state AP holders. We renewed our AP a few weeks ago while we are at the parks.

I asked and the CM informed me we went to the parks 28 days on our current AP.

Her reaction was that one of our AP basically paid for the parking alone ($25 x 28 days = $700). We have the DVC Gold Passes.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of every cent we spend from the moment we left home until we returned. Those AP discounts do start adding up. Even buying the occasional soda, I would try and buy in a "store" so I can get the discount.
DVC parking is "free"

DVC parking is "free"
That is the thing.

Every register I go to at Disney, I fan out my DVC, AP and Disney Visa cards. I ask if any of them gets me a discount.

So, do I count the 10% I saved on Disney merchandise towards the "AP" savings, or towards the Visa Card saving...

I believe your DVC will only get you free parking when staying on site. When staying off-site I do not know if it would work. Then again, I always have the AP with me.

When the cost of an AP would be cheaper than the total price you would be paying in individual park tickets. That's my break even point.
That is how I factor it too. I stay at WDW resorts so I don't pay for parking in the parks and even if I did, I use WDW transportation so I don't factor parking in the parks in. I don't use memory maker, didn't use it when it was included in the AP and certainly never bought it. We just take our our pictures and we (my son and I) don't like pictures of ourselves so it's just stuff around Disney. I don't factor in hotel discounts because I always book whatever is less at the time I'm booking, lately that is Swan/Dolphin so no discount there anyway. I don't factor in merch. discount because about 80% of the places I shop don't give discounts (Italy mask shop I'm looking at you). Same with food discounts, I seem to have a knack for booking places that don't give the AP discount. So, for me, it's ticket prices period. I always buy a hopper and I sort of know the general time of the year I'm going so I look at hopper costs for an approx. time period I think I'm going. I almost always have 5 night trips so usually either buy a 5 day or 6 day hopper, depending on if I can get a 6th day free. I also tend to buy my tickets at a discount broker who can't be mentioned by name. I compare apples to apples just for ticket prices. It was easier before they went with the whole different prices for different days of the week, times of the year thing.

I believe your DVC will only get you free parking when staying on site.
You’re correct. DVC does not get free parking at the parks unless staying onsite, like all onsite guests. DVC does get free parking at the resort they’re staying at IF it’s a DVC-only resort or if they’re paying for it with points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter