What is the appeal of the dessert parties?

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary when we went to WDW back in February, so I booked the HEA dessert party at Tomorrowland Terrace and we really enjoyed being able to slow down the pace, sit down and relax, and not have to fight for or pre-plan to find a spot to view the fireworks. My husband even said that it was his favorite thing about the trip and it was definitely one of mine. The desserts were pretty good, too. I don't think I'd do it at every visit, but for a special occasion? Heck yeah.

My family just went to Disney in April. It was our first trip as a family and I wanted it to be really special for everyone. We did the Star Wars Dessert Party in Hollywood Studios. It was probably one of my husbands favorite events. They had storm troopers walking through and taking photos. There were desserts and savory foods as well as drinks. We had such a great view of the show and fireworks! We could sit down and really enjoy it! It took the stress out of fireworks.

We did not do a dessert party for the Magic Kingdom Fireworks and staked out a spot early and someone ended up putting their kid on their shoulders RIGHT IN FRONT of us! It was so rude and I asked nicely if they could move but they did not and completely blocked my children's view of the entire show. I would absolutely pay for the dessert party next time ... it is such a better experience for people who don't get to visit as often to make sure that their moments/memories aren't ruined by other's inconsideration.

I really wanna do the SW dessert party at HS next time we go to WDW if it's still being offered. Do you remember how much it is per person? I'm assuming similar to the HEA one at MK, price-wise.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Fantasmic VIP Dessert Party.
I suspect it's probably because it's not actually a party. Disney advertises it as "The Fantasmic! Dessert & VIP Viewing Experience". Unlike the HEA, FEA, JBJB, RoL & SWaGS dessert parties, there is no party area with tables and chairs, no buffet tables with unlimited desserts and savory items, excluding the HEA party, no open unlimited bar and no private dedicated viewing area.

I mean, really, how much dessert can one person eat? But .. really its just a supply/demand thing for an unobstructed view and a seat for the fireworks. Any cheaper and it would be way too popular for the seats they have available.

This is my reason. I'm a type 1 diabetic, so I'm not going to be loading up on desserts (in a different life, I would be cleaning out the pans though, love me some dessert), so only the alcohol ones really appeal. I did EP once with my wife, felt like it was absolutely worth it, but then again, it was $49/person back then, and now (even though ALL the Disney prices continually rise) it feels like they are charging $30 to ride FEA.

I don't know why, but being under $50 felt like "I can handle that" .. but now the prices are so high that I would rather have a steak at Cali Grill and watch the fireworks (AND get change back!).

I really wanna do the SW dessert party at HS next time we go to WDW if it's still being offered. Do you remember how much it is per person? I'm assuming similar to the HEA one at MK, price-wise.

I know it is a lot, but it was worth it. My husband was very anti-Disney World Vacations before we went ... And now we are planning our next trip and he "gets it" ... I am not saying that it was this dessert party ... but he still talks about it! ;)
  • The price is $79.00 per adult (age 10 and over) and $45.00 per child (age 3 to 9); tax and gratuity are included.

Instead of desert party, I would buy a nice dinner with preferred seating for a show or watch the fireworks from California Grill, but deserts are not my thing. However, I do like that the party involves an open bar and a place to sit and relax at the end of a long day at Disney. It still seems pricey at $79 per adult, but I do see the appeal. If they offered more an adult lounge with more grownup entertainment with fireworks preferred viewing at a little more reasonable cost, I can honestly say it would appeal to me and several of my friends.

I think something like this would be great to have around the World Showcase with themed parties at different countries on different nights.

We are trying one for the first time on NYE eve and I am constantly asking myself if I should cancel it to save the money, lol. We are eating at 4:00 at CP so we will be very full the rest of the day. The party starts at 10:15 when we should be ready for some sustenance, lol. And to escape the heavy crowds. I hope it’s worth it!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Fantasmic VIP Dessert Party. We did this on 10/2/2018 and found it to be the most 'economical', yet highest value, of all of the dessert parties at $39. each. We reserved the 7:20 pm entrance and were allowed to bypass the stand-by lines with no waiting. We each received a very large tray of cheeses, crackers, fruit, pastries, and other desserts along with our choice of beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) in a 12 oz. souvenir mug, and it was more of a dessert 'meal' than just a snack! Our viewing area was dead center in the amphitheatre seating area and we could sit anywhere we wanted to (although it was first come, first served with the FP and other dessert party people), but because we both had ECV's we chose to sit on them, with their large cushioned Captain's chairs that reclined, along the top tier that was roped off and reserved.

Because of our ECV's, we also had comfortable prime viewing of HEA and Illuminations, which negated any reason to partake of any of their dessert party offerings.
I love this Dessert Party/experience/whatever you want to call it. I’ve done it twice now and for me, it’s a much better deal than doing a dining package to get access to the center section of seats. I’m a vegetarian and wasn’t crazy about my options at either Mama Melrose or HBD (I’ve done both). But I enjoyed all of the Party desserts and thought that the food plus a drink that comes in a souvenir light up mug, a small bottle of water, a light up lanyard, and a chance to sit dead center is an excellent value for $39. I’m on the fence about the other parties due to their cost, but find this one to be an easy choice.

We are regular visitors of WDW. Travel down and stay a week to 10 days usually twice a year and we have never done a dessert party. I guess I just can't get over the price tag. Depending on which one it's $90+ a person for an hour of finger desserts and a good spot to watch a 15 minute fireworks show. I'm not trying to put it down for those of you who love them...different strokes for different folks...I just don't get the appeal. For those of you who love them and do them.....what is the appeal for you? Is there something else included that I don't know about?
My family and I have been going to Disney world for the past 12 years almost annually. Crowds of gotten worse, the corralling of people for fireworks has gotten worse and Common courtesy and humanity disappearing, standing not for 15 minutes but almost an hour in one spot being pushed around, bumped into, knocked in the head, feet stepped on, Foul language coming from the mouths of people 10 yrs old to 80 yrs old. Last June my son and I celebrated our birthdays together I turn 50 he 13. We sat in a great covered location with a desserts not crowded at all, relaxing setting and really took in the whole show and magical experience, it’s not just about the fireworks. And it really does help you forget about how crazy and chaotic things got earlier in the day and you just remember the magic. My 13-year-old said that next time if we don’t want to pay for the dessert party he’ll take it out of his piggy bank to pay for the whole family

Our first ever trip to WDW is in 5 weeks. I am doing all the extras I could book for 2 reasons: 1, because this may be the only time we go for years, so we're going all out; and 2, the convenience. We're doing the HEA "After Fireworks" Dessert Party because that was the only one left and it's supposed to be a super busy night, and I want a guaranteed spot for my kids. I honestly could not care less about the food (it'll be late by the time we even get to the food), its strictly so I don't have to worry about a spot. It was $220 for 4 of us, and I don't think that's that bad.

I tried to book the Frozen dessert party but it's sold out each night it works for us. Not doing the Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam party because we already have VIP viewing for it thanks to the Star Wars Guided Tour we're doing that day. The only other party that I don't necessarily see value in is the Holiday Wishes one...if MVMCP is supposed to be lower crowds than an average night, i expect to be able to find a spot no issues. Plus I care more about HAW projections than the Holiday Wishes ones. I also booked EMM for both HS and MK. Convenience, convenience, convenience.

I REALLY hope we fall in love with WDW and can continue to afford at least annual trips there, and I don't think I'd do dessert parties each time then. But as a newbie that wants the best possible experience, it's totally worth it. (lol we'll see if I still think it's worth it once I get back from vacation!)

We are trying one for the first time on NYE eve and I am constantly asking myself if I should cancel it to save the money, lol. We are eating at 4:00 at CP so we will be very full the rest of the day. The party starts at 10:15 when we should be ready for some sustenance, lol. And to escape the heavy crowds. I hope it’s worth it!

Is this the 30th NYE eve? If on the 31st this is the only Dessert Party I believe is worth every penny. You will be happy you were able to avoid the MK craziness on NYE with this reservation. We have done it and it is great with party favors as well! We ate at Ohana at 5:00 and did not even enter MK until well after dark! Not sure where your accommodations are but do not be in a hurry to exit after as it will be cray outside the gates. Head back into the park for another hour or so even if you are at Contemporary!

If you are there on the 30th things are much easier to negotiate.

Both my DH and I use scooters. I get very nervous when I am surrounded by people plus I don't like to sit with someone's butt in my face because they are making everyone stand and squeeze in.
I bout the Fantasy Garden Desert Party because we could have the desert snacks and then use our scooters to sit on for fireworks. It was worth every dollar I spent.

Is this the 30th NYE eve? If on the 31st this is the only Dessert Party I believe is worth every penny. You will be happy you were able to avoid the MK craziness on NYE with this reservation. We have done it and it is great with party favors as well! We ate at Ohana at 5:00 and did not even enter MK until well after dark! Not sure where your accommodations are but do not be in a hurry to exit after as it will be cray outside the gates. Head back into the park for another hour or so even if you are at Contemporary!

If you are there on the 30th things are much easier to negotiate.
It is the 30th. We are doing Epcot for the 31st, lol. So the 30th is not too crazy? They have extra hours till 2am

By the way, if you can consider the dessert party your dinner (which we will) and also consider that taxes, tips and drinks are included, it’s not quite as scary as you first think. Especially when comparing it with the almost as scary costs of most WDW table service restaurants.

What kind of food will there be there if you consider it to be dinner ? I'm thinking cheese, crackers and desserts will not be right for my dinner. If they had something like pulled pork that would be wonderful. Thanks

We are regular visitors of WDW. Travel down and stay a week to 10 days usually twice a year and we have never done a dessert party. I guess I just can't get over the price tag. Depending on which one it's $90+ a person for an hour of finger desserts and a good spot to watch a 15 minute fireworks show. I'm not trying to put it down for those of you who love them...different strokes for different folks...I just don't get the appeal. For those of you who love them and do them.....what is the appeal for you? Is there something else included that I don't know about?
We had extra money and hate waiting for firework spots.

Crowds watching the show are maddening. Rude, squishy, inconsiderate. The parties give my family of fivea chance to enjoy the event, something we don’t get when we’re in the crowds. On a five day trip, paying one night to get the fireworks done in a positive way is worth the money.

I have done several dessert parties over the years. The absolute best was at World of Color in Disneyland. Superior experience to any of the ones at WDW. The best at WDW, Hollywood Studio's. Whether for Star Wars Weekends, Galactic Fireworks or Jingle Bam they are extremely well run and the offerings were great. One ok and one bad experience at the Terrace in MK. Why we did them, travelling with my very young granddaughter and didn't want to get trampled, better view and travelling with someone older who did have the endurance to stand in the fireworks crowd.

I'd do them again and HS and DL. I hear good things about the Epcot version, maybe next visit. The Terrace, I don't know unless they stepped up their game. (It was really amazing how the big the difference was between the two parks in Florida).

What kind of food will there be there if you consider it to be dinner ? I'm thinking cheese, crackers and desserts will not be right for my dinner. If they had something like pulled pork that would be wonderful. Thanks

Hi there,

I agree that it’s not typical dinner food, and if you don’t eat much the rest of the day, it wouldn’t be a good dinner substitute.
However, I really don’t think I could cope with all the food at the party had I sat down to a more traditional dinner beforehand.
We will be eating a sit down lunch, so snacking on the small selection of savoury items (the breads in particular) will be fine for dinner.
In everyday life, if we have a hot sit down meal for lunch, we will often just have a more casual lunch-like item (eg a sandwich) for tea. So this is no different.

I have no issues whatsoever skipping a protein at dinner, but, in an ideal world, it would be nice to see a few cut veges at the party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!