• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is some advice for people that get a smoking room or HA room?

Ok, so tell me more about the ionizer idea!

I know they come in different sizes, including portable ones.

What size ionizer do the resorts use in the rooms (if any)? Can we, as guests, use them?

What size would be a good one to take with us?

Do you think they really work?

Greysword said:
Ok, so tell me more about the ionizer idea!

I know they come in different sizes, including portable ones.

What size ionizer do the resorts use in the rooms (if any)? Can we, as guests, use them?

What size would be a good one to take with us?

Do you think they really work?

I can't comment on odor elimination, but if they make ozone they are bad for EVERYONE's lungs. I think most of the ozone-generating devices are off the market, but there may be some around.

I can't imagine an ionizer helping me out in a highly smoky room. I have the proverbial and infamous "very sensitive nose." I will put up with stale tobacco smells if I have to. But long term exposure causes symptoms I won't list, but will say they would significantly interfere with enjoying a vacation. (And odor-maskers are just as bad.)

We were at BWV last September and checked in right after Hurricane Jeanne had passed. Many people were confined to their rooms for 24 hours.

We were assigned a non-smoking 1 bedroom unit. When we entered, I thought the room smelled a little "off" but it wasnt a strong odor so I let it go.

The smell continued and it was definitely in the room. That evening when we returned, I was manic trying to find where the smell was coming from and discovered an ashtray in the ent. center drawer.

I immediately called MK and they immediately sent someone up with the spray. She sprayed the furniture, curtains, carpet etc. The smell did improve, but less than 48 hours later the "stale smoke" smell returned. I called MK again and immediately they sprayed again. We left less than 48 hours later so not sure if it returned.

We were told that because of the hurricane confinement people smoked in Non Smoking rooms, which is fully understandable. BWV was great and the MK staff was excellent and very responsive. We didnt want to move in the middle of our stay like they offered.

I think encouraging those that receive smoking rooms to request a total change of curtains, bedding, pillow cushions etc, would increase our dues just as much as not paying the $25 change fee, or having rooms sit empty or any of the other suggestions on the other thread. I also think it would get you on the naughty list!

LIFERBABE said:
I think encouraging those that receive smoking rooms to request a total change of curtains, bedding, pillow cushions etc, would increase our dues just as much as not paying the $25 change fee, or having rooms sit empty or any of the other suggestions on the other thread.

Excellent point.

TCPluto said:
Excellent point.

Maybe so, but as my late Granddad would say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat." (please don't be offended by that..I LOVE cats...I have 8 of them!!)

But, here's the deal. We cannot require DVC to "enforce" the "no smoking in a smoking room means no smoking" policy. And, we cannot require them to guarantee this at the time a ressie is made. But, maybe if enough people request that accomodations be made to make a smoking room "endurable" for the non-smoking guests who got "stuck" there....maybe DVC will start listening.

Ummm....where is that naughty, so I can just sign up now!!!

:wave:

Beca

I would hope that if someone smokes illegally, then any costs incurred sprucing it up for the next vacationers would be billed to them.

Paying 25$ doesn't seem to be that big a deal(considering your going to spend a couple grand anyways). How well does this work for switching rooms? Will they switch resorts as well?

We had a disabled-accessible room at the BCV the last time we were at WDW. We moved the small plastic table from the porch into the bathroom and asked housekeeping to bring up another one. Then both my husband and I had a place to put our toiletries. For our next trip I want to buy a shoeholder just in case.
::MinnieMo

OneMoreTry said:
I can't comment on odor elimination, but if they make ozone they are bad for EVERYONE's lungs. I think most of the ozone-generating devices are off the market, but there may be some around.

I can't imagine an ionizer helping me out in a highly smoky room. I have the proverbial and infamous "very sensitive nose." I will put up with stale tobacco smells if I have to. But long term exposure causes symptoms I won't list, but will say they would significantly interfere with enjoying a vacation. (And odor-maskers are just as bad.)
Ionizers will definitely remove the stale smoke smell, as I mentioned in my previous post on this thread. However, I do not know whether they will remove other irritants which cause problems for a person with asthma or another medical issue. Ionizers work for me, but I don't know if they would help someone with a medical issue.

With regard to the various sizes, etc, I believe their specifications will tell you what size space they will effectively serve. You have to remember that you are trying to clean volume, not floor space, so if you have a room with a high ceiling you may need a larger ionizer.

The problem with the perfumey solutions (IMHO) is that they mask the smell, but they don't do anything to relieve the real problem. The contaminants are still there; they just smell better. Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not hurting you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter