• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is some advice for people that get a smoking room or HA room?

SoCalKDG

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
The arguments for and against are covered in many, many pages. I don't want this here. What is some advice for people that get a smoking room or HA room(for those that might have a problem with it)?

For a HA room, what can be done? Can suitcases be stacked and used as a table? Other places to store stuff? How about adjusting the shower so water doesn't flood the place? Child proofing? Ideas from those that have stayed and improvised are wanted.

If you get a smoking room, what can be done? Can you request a shampooing of the carpet? Does Fabreze work(my sister quit smoking and she says it works wonderfully)? Does the $25 to switch rooms allow you to switch resorts as well if the resort is full?

Hopefully this will be imformative, not a debate. I'm coming up on a trip in 5 1/2 weeks and this info may be needed(by best guess, 10-15% chance).

We had a HA Smoking two bedroom.

Biggest advice...don't panic. We didn't notice it was a smoking room unitl about three days into our stay when we noticed we didn't have the little non-smoking thing on the door. Not all smoking rooms stink to high heaven. (course, if it does, that's another issue).

In our two bedroom the master bath had plenty of counter space and a tub. The second bedrom is HA with no counterspace in the bath, no tub and no closet.

You'll want some extra towels for the shower. Housekeeping should bring them up without charge, if not, this is the time to borrow them from the pool without guilt. The shower head is on a hose and a pole, the pole telescopes. If you don't figure this out, you'll have some difficult showers (someone posted about showering on their knees). Point the showerhead towards the back of the shower to keep water off the floor. After a few days the floor wasn't getting any more wet than it does at home, but it did take some trial and error. Wipe the bathroom floor with the extra towels when you get out, if necessary.

Burners remove from the stoves (SSR has the ceramic cooktops, try removing the knobs), if you have little hands in your party. (BTW, ours were pulled out and it took a call to maintenance to figure out why the stove didn't work). The microwave is on the counter, so kitchen counter space does become a premium, and the trash is tucked under an open sink, with little kids you may want to take the trash out daily. Our kids were old enough not to play in the trash (4 and 5), so we didn't find this problematic. And our cooking was limited to coffee and eggs, so the lack of counterspace wasn't an issue.

We were also missing the bars and barstools, which made everyone eating at once would be an issue - however, we were cooking breakfast and eating in shifts as people showered anyway, so no issues there for us.

We didn't notice a lower and softer bed - my husband noticed that the mattress was in need of replacing for his tastes and had a divot in it - result of softer bed? Someone who stayed subsequently in the same room (the two bedroom RIGHT over the Screen Door at BWVs) didn't notice any issues with the bed at all.

What a great thread!! I hope others post their ideas as well. It seems HA rooms the way they are configured are here to stay...so, the more ideas we have to "adjust" to them, the better vacations we all will have.

As to smoking rooms...I read on one post that you can request to have the sheets, comforters, and curtains changed. I'm sure you can also request to have the carpets cleaned...but, unless it was for medical reasons...I wouldn't want to do that...wet carpets...yuck!!

I'm sure Febreze works pretty well, it is my understanding that mousekeeping has an "industrial strength deodorizer". But, FYI...for people with real "allergies" to smoke...this does nothing. You can also request extra sheets and blankets to cover the sofa.

Not ideal...but, you do what you have to do.

:wave:

Beca

I had a nasty smoking room on a ski trip to Vail one time, and there were no other rooms in the inn, so we had no choice. Fortunately, we had checked in early in the morning and didn't have to sleep in it like that. The hotel must have been used to this issue coming up, because they brought up an ionizer. We went out skiing and by the time we came back, you'd never have known anyone had ever smoked in the room.

I don't know if that would help someone with allergies, but it sure did get rid of the stench in a hurry.

I know this isn't the exact same issue, but related. Can NON-HA be listed as a request? Would it be better to get a HA with a great view or a non-HA with no view?

We have 7 of us and a 5yo with some disabilities (not requiring HA) so we really need lots of space. For example in BWV and BCV we use every bit of kitchen and bath and floor space available to us.

Should I post another thread for this?

OneMoreTry said:
I know this isn't the exact same issue, but related. Can NON-HA be listed as a request? Would it be better to get a HA with a great view or a non-HA with no view?

We have 7 of us and a 5yo with some disabilities (not requiring HA) so we really need lots of space. For example in BWV and BCV we use every bit of kitchen and bath and floor space available to us.

Should I post another thread for this?
In your case, you might want to consider OKW, with much more space to begin with. The 2 BR at OKW is 312 sq ft larger than the 2 BR at BCV!

OneMoreTry said:
From what I have read, its only the studios that are more difficult for some people to use when getting an HA. This is due to less bathroom space, and no tub. A one bedroom and larger give you both a tub and shower, with extra counter space.

Thanks guys for the info. Keep it coming.

SoCalKDG said:
The arguments for and against are covered in many, many pages. I don't want this here. What is some advice for people that get a smoking room or HA room(for those that might have a problem with it)?

For a HA room, what can be done? Can suitcases be stacked and used as a table? Other places to store stuff? How about adjusting the shower so water doesn't flood the place? Child proofing? Ideas from those that have stayed and improvised are wanted.

If you get a smoking room, what can be done? Can you request a shampooing of the carpet? Does Fabreze work(my sister quit smoking and she says it works wonderfully)? Does the $25 to switch rooms allow you to switch resorts as well if the resort is full?

Hopefully this will be imformative, not a debate. I'm coming up on a trip in 5 1/2 weeks and this info may be needed(by best guess, 10-15% chance).

I don't think febreeze would work. Many people who have allergies/asthma are allergic to or at least bothered by the perfumes in febreeze. My girlfriend is a febreeze/carpet fresh junkie. Both of her daughters have asthma. She had to stop using them because everytime she did, they would gag and cough and have to use their inhalers! She was so bummed. I have asthma and febreeze bothers me somewhat. Ionizers are much better because they actually clean the air. Having the carpets, drapes, etc. all changed/cleaned would be a pain, but if the room was really bad and there were no others available, I would think that changing all fabrics plus the ionizer would do a pretty good job. :)
We never had a smoking room in any of our WDW resort stays. Hopefully it won't happen in the future. :sunny:

We have had accessible rooms, usually by request, but sometimes because that is what is available. I don't really understand what the fuss is about. Unless you are in a studio you still have the large tub that is standard in all other villas. There is no shortage for storage, all of the furniture anbd closets are there with one exception. In the accessible rooms at some DVC resorts, the bar stools and eating area that attach to the kitchen sink wall are not there (due to wider kitchen work area to allow a wheelchair guest to navigate in the kitchen). The showers are sloped so drainage is contained within the shower area. Now if you aim the shower head towards the shower curtain then you will have a problem :)

OneMoreTry said:
I know this isn't the exact same issue, but related. Can NON-HA be listed as a request?
Several CMs (at least one was a room assigner) suggested people NOT list NON-HA as a request. They said it very easy to miss the NOT and think that the person meant they wanted a handicapped accessible room. They suggested that if you are reserving a studio and don't want HA, it would be better to request a room with a tub.

Also, from reading these boards, it appears to people that there are a lot more HA rooms than there actually are. There are actually 2 types of HA rooms. The first are HA, but not fully wheelchair accessible. Most people who get these rooms probably don't even realize they have HA rooms because they have tubs with grab bars and raised seat toilets with grab bars, but otherwise they are the same as a Non- HA room.
The ones people complain about are the fully wheelchair accessible rooms. Those rooms are pretty obvious because they have roll in showers, raised seat toilets, lower counters. They may have lower beds, but the mattress is usually pretty much the same.

Looking at the total number of rooms in resort listed on the DIS site for each resort, this is the number of HA and roll in shower rooms that the ADA requires for that many rooms (Here is a link to the ADA site that the numbers are from. ):

VWL has a total of 181 villas, so it fits in the category of
Total number of rooms= 151 to 200
ADA requires 6 HA and 2 with roll in showers

BCV has 282 villas, so it fits in
Total number of rooms in resort = 201 to 300
ADA requires 7 HA and 3 with roll in showers

BWV has 383 villas, so it fits in
Total number of rooms in resort = 301 to 400
ADA requires 8 HA and 4 with roll in showers

OKW has 709 villas, so it fits in
Total number of rooms in resort = 501 to 1000
ADA requires 2% of total be HA and 4 with roll in shower, plus 1 with roll in shower for each additional 100 rooms over 400

If I remember right, SSR is scheduled to be over 1000 villas when done, so it would fit in the category of 1001 and over
20 HA plus 1 for each 100 rooms over 1000 and 4 with roll in shower, plus 1 with roll in shower for each additional 100 rooms over 400

The owner of the resort can choose to have more HA or roll in shower rooms, but they typically stay pretty close to the number that is required.

The smoking rooms we have had were only noticable because of the absense of the smoking plackard on the door. Apparently the ionizers work very well.

As stated, the main issues with H/A studio is the lack of counter space in the bathroom, and the roll in showers/lack of tub. There is still counter space around the sink however. It might get a little crowded with toiletries, but not unmanageable. Some suggest bringing an over the door shoe hanger for the various personal care items, placed in the various pouches. Water will stay confined to the shower area if, as noted, the shower head is aimed away from the curtain.

The bathroom actually seems to have more area, because of the need to accomodate a wheelchair. We have noticed little else different throughout the rest of the rooms.

Thanks for the link Sue. A good source of info.

NMW said:
I don't think febreeze would work. Many people who have allergies/asthma are allergic to or at least bothered by the perfumes in febreeze. My girlfriend is a febreeze/carpet fresh junkie. Both of her daughters have asthma. She had to stop using them because everytime she did, they would gag and cough and have to use their inhalers!

I have the same issue - same reaction - to Febreeze. Febreeze doesn't get rid of odors - it just masks them with another odor. There is no way Febreeze can take the odor out of sofas and pillows and such. Only washing will do that and sometimes not even that!

I use Don Aslett's X-O. It really does dissipate the odors - it doesn't mask them. Leaves very little odor and what it does leave is gone in minutes. I have a little bottle near the toilet for DH :teeth: takes care of fish smell very quickly. I got it on QVC.

Also - the lung condition (beyond the asthma, I have a genetic lung condition) I have discourages ionizers. The supercharged particles tend to stick in the lungs more when they are small enough to get in. I have been told not to have ionizer feature with the humidifier or the air cleaners.

Don't fall for the ionizer idea for a bad smoking room. I checked into CSR with 3 friends a couple years ago and we were thrilled that they had 2 connecting rooms ready at 8:30am. Until we got to them and found out they were smoking. We took the ionizer but it never really worked. We kind of got used it to it but when I opened my suitcase when I got home I couldn't believe the smell.

kathleena said:
I have a little bottle near the toilet for DH :teeth: takes care of fish smell very quickly.

This is conjuring a very nasty picture for me right now!!

We were offered a smoking optional room at the BCV once - about in the center of the corridor, pool view. It was ready, it was early in the morning, so I took it. They had shampooed the carpet just before I checked into the room - in fact, they were still doing some cleaning of the room when I walked into the room. We had stayed in a non-Disney smoking room once (it was the last hotel room available and we had driven across the state of Washington from British Columbia, Canada. It was bad.

The BCV room was not bad at all. I could not smell any smoke in the bedding or furniture. The room was great and we had a good stay.

TCPluto said:
This is conjuring a very nasty picture for me right now!!

:teeth: I didn't mean he smells of fish! I hit the little button on the side of my mouse while I was typing and lost the post, so when I retyped I must have forgotten to say that I was refering to when we cook fish in the kitchen! :teeth:

Sorry for that visual................ :)

We stayed at SSR on 1/23/05 thru /28/05 and had the unfortunate luck of geeting a NON SMOKING room taht had been smoked in! My 13 y/o DD has astha and bith my husband and I are ex smokers.....well, let me say this room TOTALLY REEKED! We tried a whole bottle of Febreeze and mousekeepings industrial strength spray ...... nothing worked. They resort had no more 2 bedrooms to move us to because a Northeast snowstorm had closed airports, thus flights were cancelled and people couldn't leave. We were never offered an ionizer...I would have tried anything, it was disgusting! We were on checkout given 4 parkhooper passes with no expiration date to use on a future business as a sort of consulation prize!!??? I'm ready to sell my DVC because of this. I think that with as much as we pay to be members, you should be able to guarantee a certain type room request (within reason). My vacation was not very enjoyable because of that and even though I own at SSR we will probably not go back there. Just venting...........sorry.

kathleena said:
:teeth: I didn't mean he smells of fish! I hit the little button on the side of my mouse while I was typing and lost the post, so when I retyped I must have forgotten to say that I was refering to when we cook fish in the kitchen! :teeth:

Sorry for that visual................ :)

I actually had two thoughts. One was a rare digestive disorder related to eliminating raw fish.

The other was, "what's he doing in the library with a salmon steak?

JerJan said:
We stayed at SSR on 1/23/05 thru /28/05 and had the unfortunate luck of geeting a NON SMOKING room taht had been smoked in! My 13 y/o DD has astha and bith my husband and I are ex smokers.....well, let me say this room TOTALLY REEKED! We tried a whole bottle of Febreeze and mousekeepings industrial strength spray ...... nothing worked. They resort had no more 2 bedrooms to move us to because a Northeast snowstorm had closed airports, thus flights were cancelled and people couldn't leave. We were never offered an ionizer...I would have tried anything, it was disgusting! We were on checkout given 4 parkhooper passes with no expiration date to use on a future business as a sort of consulation prize!!??? I'm ready to sell my DVC because of this. I think that with as much as we pay to be members, you should be able to guarantee a certain type room request (within reason). My vacation was not very enjoyable because of that and even though I own at SSR we will probably not go back there. Just venting...........sorry.

I am sorry you had an inconderate guest in the room before you and that there were no other rooms available, but I honestly fail to see how this is DVC's fault. It sounds like a strange twist (the snowstorm) and a rude person that smoked in a non-smoking room to me. If this was enough to make you want to sell, then by all means, sell. I don't see you being happy more often than not over things that come up over the next 40+ years.

Edited to add...I am not insentitive to your daughter's needs. I am sure it was not fun for her at all. However, just pointing out that the smoking in a non-smoking room is not exactly something DVC can control.

JerJan said:
Did you make them change all the bedding, as well as swap curtains, shampoo floor, etc.

Smoking could illegally occur at any hotel at WDW, not just DVC. Even if every hotel went non-smoking, a room could still be smoked in. The purpose of this thread is how to deal with a room that has been smoked in and is bothersome to the individuals that are staying in them.

How far is managment willing to go to minimize the smell of smoking in a room short of moving from that room completely?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter