What is appropriate Disney etiquette? Ms. Emily Post Advocates welcome….

I thought if I stayed away for a few days things would die down, but I guess I will have to explain my feelings on this. As dmj99 so nicely said,"please be respectful & please remember we are just expressing our opinions. So, lets keep this friendly with pixiedust."

I said I hope I don't get flamed. If by chance the 20 other toilets are being used, and the wc cubicle is the only one available, it's ok to use it. Just please apologise, or express concern for making the disabled person wait. The reason I said this is because in Disney, there are usually quite a few regular toilets. I would venture to say that most restrooms have at least 10 regular if not more to 1 wc cubicle. So, as you can see, the odds of getting a regular stall are better. However, most times, a disabled person is not physically able to use a regular stall. They don't have a choice. Now, some of the wc stalls in Disney have washbasins and mirrors too. This is a godsend for people who have crohns and other bowel problems (hidden disabilities). And although it's nice to have your own vanity area, yes I have had to wait while an able bodied person fixed her hair, and applied makeup (although I wasn't looking deliberately I noticed some things through the crack). This by the way didn't happen in Disney, it happened in the Orlando airport. A woman, I won't even call her a lady, deliberately stalled in the stall. lol. She could see us with a wheelchair, through the same crack. I asked her , please , if she could hurry up, but she took her time. I'm sure she was hoping I would go away. But where could I go? I needed that stall. The accessable one. Anyway, I digress. I also said," don't use the stall unless you are disabled or have small children you must keep with you. " Of course, by all means keep your children with you. In this crazy world we must protect our children.

dmj99 admitted it was a bad habit, and disney freak jackie felt the same way. So they feel it may not be the right thing to do. dmj99 said if it was a busy restroom and the next stall was available she would use it. Of course. I agree with that, like I said in my first post. And I do appreciate your thoughtfulness on being prompt. That is considerate, and I'm sure Miss Emily Post would agree.

Jana49 has a problem saving handicap stalls for the handicap. ???? To her that stall is for everyone to use. I suppose that is true to a point. Just like the regular stalls are for everyone to use. Unfortunatly, most handicap people cannot use the regular stalls. So, we are back to the beginning again. In a perfect world we would not have this problem, but hey. In a perfect world we wouldn't have any disabled people either. I'm sure Miss Post would agree, manners are looking out for other people. Showing care and concern for people. I don't really expect Jana49 to understand, since she has never walked in my shoes. That's ok. She may have problems or concern I can't identify with. I still respect her. She was just expressing her opinion, just as I am expressing mine. Wishing everyone the best. Have a disney day.

Jana49 said:
I am very supportive of HCed people, and after a health incident of my own, I WAS one, temporarily.

Pam Pam - As you can see from my previous post, I have been in your shoes, as mentioned! And my bladder was still the same size as yours....

I'll get flamed for this one but here goes....

The concept of accessiblity does not automatically include the concept of entitlement. The stall is made to accomodate those in need of an accessible bathroom. Does that mean that it is reserved only for those that need the accessiblity? No. It means that the stall is available should someone need that accessibility.

Before I get too many folks riled up - I work for an agency that works with people with cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular disabilties. And I am on the boards of 2 other groups working to ensure the rights of those with disabilities.

Seriously though folks....how the heck long are folks taking in the bathroom that this is real problem?? Its not a social event - you go in the stall, do what you got to do and get out.

Sir/Ma'am,

I think this thread my be long over-do. I would start by suggesting that we all set the best example we can for our children and all with whom we come into contact by doing the following:

Address all with whom we come in contact as either sir or ma'am,

Simple say please and thank, as the case may be, and

Smile!

Some simple advice I've passed on to my children and strive to follow each and every day, both in my personal and professional life is, "it's nice to be nice."

Thank you all for listening and please have the happiest of holidays.

:)

How about not talking on a cell-phone at the top of your lungs in an attraction? Nothing better than being in GMR, and having the person in front of you babbling so you can't hear the guide...

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

Mortlives said:
How about not talking on a cell-phone at the top of your lungs in an attraction? Nothing better than being in GMR, and having the person in front of you babbling so you can't hear the guide...

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

Okay!!! Another bad habit, its like the caller on the other end is hard at hearing - I'll admit another bad habit of mine. Boy, I've got alot of bad habits! :scratchin

Oh, I got one - Stop looking at people who appear to "talk to themselves" - they're on the phone (using that hands free set that goes down the ear)!!! :laughing:

Don't use your video camera's FLOOD LIGHT to film a dark ride attraction especially if there are other people in your car. Had this happen on Snow White. My daughters and I were in the front of the mine car and the guy behind me whips out his video camera with large light and starts filming away. I nicely asked him to stop and turn it off and got chewed out in not so nice language with my children right there. I mentioned it to the CM and they let us go again.

I have to comment about using the handicapped bathrooms. I feel they are for people with handicaps, now in saying that, there are many kinds of disabilities, people with mobility problems may have the same size bladder and be able to wait a few minutes. BUT, there are many people out there that have bladder or bowel disorders that cannot wait a few minutes. Ummm, trying not to get graphic here but those couple min your in there with your child or grabbing the stall cause your going to be quick could mean that person with the disorder is going to have to leave the park because of an accident. People can get temporary bowel disorders after certain surgeries. I'm talking about when the bathroom is full, obviously if its not, they can use any stall. I guess I feel those stalls should remain open for the people that need them. Just food for thought :)

For the sake of keeping this board alive can we please let go of the HC bathroom subject - we can respectfully AGREE TO DISAGREE!!!

well, excuse me for mentioning something others may not have thought of or have been aware of, its a very sensitive subject, I certainly didn't expect to get screamed at.

Sandyincanada said:
well, excuse me for mentioning something others may not have thought of or have been aware of, its a very sensitive subject, I certainly didn't expect to get screamed at.

By no means was I trying to offend anyone with my red Big marks! I simply think that we have all stated very valuable opinions - but sometimes enough is enough - and to keep Peace :love1: and the thread alive lets move on because this is a sensitive subject, that may be offensive to others. I respect people with HC's and I believe that this subject was appropriate in this thread, but why keep going back and forth if we are not in agreement. But we can all respectfully agree to disagree. Everyone stated their opinions - and they were all just that - opinions!! The only thing we could all agree on is that the stalls were made for those with HC's (and sometimes mothers with babies because some have changing tables in them) - everything else is debatable.

smile a lot, say please and thank you, say exuse me, cover your mouth when sneezing, coughing, or yawning, make adjustments to your clothing in the restrooms not the middle of the street, keep your voice low when talking on your cell phone [we don't need to know your bussiness], if you are physically able to stand on the busses and monorails please offer your seat to someone who looks like they need it more than you do.

Can't think of anymore right now, back later if I think of anything else.

Just remember to have fun. If you are having fun you are probably improving things for everyone around you.

[Just remember to have fun. If you are having fun you are probably improving things for everyone around you.[/QUOTE]

I agree :D Disney really is a special place. I feel kinder towards myself, my family and those fortunate enough to be around me. They add to my sunshine. Ya I may be the one frustrated that I'm late for work, or stuck in traffic; or yelling at my dd to "hurry up you'll be late for school". But when it comes to Disney, I truly do become a kinder soul even just thinking about it makes me :flower1: I hope I rub off on others around me. I think I do. It's so incredible how can I not smile at others around me, they to are also experiencing the magic. I have seen others around me on cell phones or being rude and I feel sorry for them that somehow theres a part of the magic they may be missing. So when they do get off the phone, I smile and I hope they can see the joy this moment in life brings them. If I could freeze a moment in time "picture it" Me, on my pony on Cinderella's Golden Caraselle (sp)? seeing my family beside me beaming away; feeling like a child again; and enjoying such a magical view. How can you not become more patient, kind, and understanding towards others?? :grouphug: If my life had to end with a picture show, I'd like that shot in the video of course along with so many others; i.e. my wedding; my children's first breath. LIFE is just too short not to fill it with wonderful memories and kindness towards others. How do you want to be remembered?

PLEASE don't prop your resort room door open with the latch and let the kids run in and out at 7 in the morning. Or anytime. The noise that results when the door slams onto the latch can be heard very well in all adjacent rooms.

I second the motion about slamming hotel doors! The huge bang is heard throughout the floor, and usually shakes the walls too. PLEASE :earboy2: gently close the door until it latches.

Having spent many, many hours at the parks and on the Ship, I can probably count on one hand (maybe two) the number of encounters with unpleasant people while on Disney Propety. Most everyone is there to have a good time, not to air "family laundry" in public.
The only time that I have encountered any rudeness has been on waiting in line for transportation, mainly the busses. I am sure that everyone is aware of the order of arrival, even if there is not a formal line at the bus stop.

Also, a bit of advice (not necessarily etiquette) a but personal safety issue ;)
If you see a cleancut, 200lb plus, 30 something male at the Boma buffet, DO NOT GET BETWEEN ME...errr I mean ....HIM AND THE DESSERTS! :earboy2: :earseek: :jumping3:

lizziepooh said:
If there are small kids behind you trying to see the parade, see if you can make space for them to stand in front so they can see.

I couldn't agree more with this one, having stood holding my 4 yo son two years ago at the Christmas parade. I couldn't see, I'm only 5'2", and holding a 40 lb child for that long is really hard on the back.

delilah said:
I couldn't agree more with this one, having stood holding my 4 yo son two years ago at the Christmas parade. I couldn't see, I'm only 5'2", and holding a 40 lb child for that long is really hard on the back.

Oh I agree, I'm 5 feet even so I know what you are talking about. I've learned two things, 1. Try to get a place for the parade as early as humanly possible or 2. Position myself at the Train drop off. It sits so high and I've been lucky once to get right on the rail so no one was in front of me. I'm making that my annual parade stop. It was perfect!!!!

As a parent who rents a stroller when I'm in the park, please don't assume that all parents with a stroller have "stroller rage". If someone else ram batters you or stops right in the middle of a walkway (which I strongly agree is inappropriate stroller etiquette), please don't penalize the next parent with elbowing, name calling or cutting off the path in front of the stroller as if to show that strollers have no business in the park.

djm99 said:
Oh I agree, I'm 5 feet even so I know what you are talking about. I've learned two things, 1. Try to get a place for the parade as early as humanly possible or 2. Position myself at the Train drop off. It sits so high and I've been lucky once to get right on the rail so no one was in front of me. I'm making that my annual parade stop. It was perfect!!!![/QUO

For this particular parade, we had done just that, actually. I was alone with my son, and, as luck would have it, he had to potty as we were waiting. I left my stroller there, but, unfortunately, the people who came during the intervening 5 minutes or so moved it, behind a trashbin, as a matter of fact, and stood in front of us the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter