What I'm Focussed On - Projection Mappings

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
The purpose of this Assignment is to get out and have fun using our cameras, maybe learning a few things along the way, so pictures should be new as often as possible (though if you have a relatively new picture that fits a category, you can use it). All cameras and skill levels are welcome.

This could be one that we run for the year. No prizes can be rewarded other than recognition for a job well done!

Where possible, please use pictures taken from 15 March 2014 as the intent of this assignment is to get out and about. However, given that this is running from the start of 2014, if you do have a recent (2013’ish) picture already on file, by all means post it – especially if you would like to share your best pictures taken during 2013!

If you post a picture, please share what you did to take the picture irrespective of whether you shoot with a point and shoot or a dSLR or phone camera. For those with a dSLR, please include your ISO, aperture and shutter speed; as well as a brief description of anything that might help others learn from your experience.

Other Threads in the Series:
Merry Christmas Lights
Fireworks for the Year
Picture Composition
Action Shots
Projection Mappings
Flowers and Gardens
Animals
Water
Land and City Scapes
Food Glorious Food
Blood Moon
Sigma 17-35 mm, f/1.8 Lens
FurBabies

Scavenger Hunt 2015

Favourites of 2015

Last edited:
What I’m Focussed On – Projection Mappings

Last month, Melbourne held it’s second White Night event. Over 500,000 people flooded into the CBD area to experience free entertainment and culture over a 12 hour period.

Commencing at 7 pm, Melbourne’s city streets, laneways, landmarks and cultural institutions were opened to the public with a mix of free and ticketed entertainment for everyone. We were treated to an urban adventure of exhibitions, street performances, fashion, lighting installations, film screenings, multimedia projections, concerts, dance and interactive events.
Inspired by Paris’ Nuit Blanche, the international network of White Night programmes has grown to over 20 cities globally.

From a photography perspective, my camera was enthralled by the technicoloured Projection Mapping.

The display of an image on an arbitrarily complex surface or Projection Mapping is the creative medium where video projectors are used to bring everyday objects to life. Normally, video projectors are used to display images on flat, white screens (e.g. watching a movie, viewing a PowerPoint). Projection mapping displays images on non-flat, (possibly non-white) surfaces.
Seems like projection mapping has exploded into the consciousness of artists and advertisers everywhere over the last 3 years and practically every landmark building in the world is getting a night time make-over.

There is a Disney link. You may recognise this as the technique that Disney is using for the Magic, Memories and You and Celebrate the Magic.

This assignment is all about Projection Mappings.

Please share your shots of buildings or castles that have images displayed on to them!

References:
I looked but I didn’t find any that was specific to photographing Projection Mappings!

So if anyone else finds references, please post the link!

Castle Projection - Celebrate the Magic

I had the opportunity to shoot the Celebrate the Magic a couple of times in October 2013.

On the first night, I used a high ISO setting to achieve my exposure.
I was late to the show and horribly out of position for the first visit. No chance to set up the tripod. So, these were taken ‘hand-held’ and using the Canon 10 - 22 mm; f/3.5 - 5.6 lens.

ISO 3200, f/4.5, 1/20 sec.

ISO 3200, f/4.5, 1/15 sec.

I did come back on another night. This time, I used the 50 mm, f/1.8 lens. It’s not my first choice lens for Disney but I *broke* my 17 - 55 mm, f/2.8 lens earlier in the trip and had to use some of the other lenses in my bag on this trip. It's just as well I decided to bring more lenses; rather than less.
I went with a longer shutter speed to achieve my exposure on this night (and used a tripod).

ISO 160, f/9, 8 secs

For the Wreck-It-Ralph sequence, I lost a lot of the fast moving details that I would have gotten if I'd taken the shots with a high ISO to achieve my exposure.

ISO 160, f/9, 4 secs

For the Lion King sequence, I think the colour and depth of image was better. YMMV.

White Night Melbourne

Having had the experience from Celebrate the Magic, I was keen to head out on White Night (late Feb 2014) to capture more colour and motion.

This is the Flinders Street Train station of Melbourne. I guess you could say it's the equivalent of the Main Street Station. I used my tripod for these shots.

ISO 100, f/14, 13 secs

The city was closed to general traffic for the night. But the foot traffic was unbelievable. I waited until midnight before even attempting to photograph the building projections. In order to reduce the number of bodies in the picture, I went with a long shutter speed; hence the tripod.

ISO 10, f/20, 25 secs

Many of the projections on this building were running faster than the ones on Flinders Street station. In order to get the details of the projections, I ended up with a high ISO and 'faster' shutter speed in order to 'stop' the action (remember we are shooting at night here, so the shutter speed is still slow by comparison to daytime speeds).

ISO 3200, f/3.5, 1/25 sec

I wanted to capture the doll figures holding the lollipops in this sequence.
They moved fast and disappeared out of the projection quickly.

ISO 1600, f/3.5, 1/15 sec

This particular sequence layered the details over a 30 second period; with the addition of flowers and the building colour being filled in over that period. I wanted to capture all of the details as it built up, so I went with a long shutter speed.

ISO 100, f/18, 25 secs

Close on 1 am in the morning and there were still plenty of people in the street. The long shutter speed allowed me to make people 'disappear'.

ISO 100, f/13, 10 sec

It didn't always work. There really were a lot of people milling around the city on this night.

ISO 100, f/20, 20 sec

princess::upsidedow

Hi PiO. It is nice that you are able to start a Projection Mapping thread. Seeing projection on the buildings, castle, etc. are so fun to look and seeing all the different projections.

Here are some of my projection mappings from past Disney trips.

I know that you said that it is current or 2013 but here is from "The Magic, The Memories, & You" at the Magic Kingdom of Cinderella Castle in 2011.

ISO 3200 f/4.0 1/13 sec.
13130762264_8486e26605_b.jpg

ISO 3200 f/4.0 1/20 sec.
13130758564_4bf2e0f775_b.jpg

From last year at Disneyland during the Holiday season at It's a Small World Holiday. This show is the clock show at IASWH which happens at night and it plays every 15 minutes when the clock opens.

ISO 800 f/2.8 1/30 sec.
11347679116_9c197c814c_b.jpg

ISO 1600 f/2.8 1/50 sec.
11347608445_68a5d87ccd_b.jpg

ISO 1600 f/2.8 1/50 sec.
11347508894_80531b8260_b.jpg

The thing with the Disney castle show is that it's basically a video. Lots of movement. So, you are going to need to do things to minimize the shutter speed like, higher ISO and wider aperture.

Below was shot on an f/4 lens. Next time I get out there I'll use the f/1.4 so I can decrease the shutter speed to eliminate the motion blur, and maybe bump the ISO up a bit.

1.5 seconds, f/4, ISO 200
DSC_3663-L.jpg

1 second, f/4, ISO 200
DSC_3683-L.jpg

.5 second, f/4, ISO 200
DSC_3711-L.jpg

Projection lights on Melbourne Town Hall for Christmas 2014.

Merry Christmas everyone!

The Melbourne City Council have put up their Christmas decorations and lights for 2014. They normally run projections on the Melbourne Town Hall to attract families to come into the city and this year's projections are culturally based.

The sequences are about 7 or 8 minutes long, so it is worth the trip in to see and photograph.

I stayed for at least 2 sequences and took long exposure shots (30 seconds duration, ISO 100, f/16) for the first sequence (the first picture of each set below). The long exposure does not allow me to capture the moving details of the projections.
The second sequence was taken handheld (1/30 to 1/50 sec, ISO 1600, f/3.5) so that I could get the details. The downside of this is that I took a lot of pictures. ;)

(NOTE: We have street cars or trams in Melbourne. If you're wondering what the reflections are....that's what is reflected on the overhead power cables.)

This is part of the Chinese sequence.

Handheld.

The Greek sequence.

Handheld.

The Italian sequence.

Handheld.

The Japanese sequence.

Handheld.

The American sequence.

Handheld.

Merry Christmas from Melbourne!

White Night, Melbourne; 22 Feb 2015

The buildings on one side of a city street block were all lit up.

It was an Alice in Wonderland theme this year.

Projection lights on Melbourne Town Hall for Christmas 2014.

Oh my! Another year has come and gone. Where did that time go?

The Melbourne Town Hall building projections for 2015 was all about the 12 days of Christmas! Most of these are at ISO 800, f/3.5, 1/15 sec.

Electric Canvas Light Projections, Federation Square

Princess - All your projection mappings are amazing! I need to study them more and then find some to practice on (reason to go to Disney again?).

Here's my token projection mapping from 2012. I was actually trying for the silhouette effect as well.

night%20castle%20quilted3rev-L.jpg

I found a few more in my 'archives'; I was stuck standing under a tree whose branches actually blocked some of the castle.

IMG_7194ed1-XL.jpg

This was one of those projections of visitor pictures taken that day; great idea but too small and hard to see.

IMG_7187ed1-XL.jpg

Projections on the NGV, White Night Melbourne 2017

Princess - Your projection pictures are absolutely amazing! I wish more places projected images on buildings here. What camera and lens are you using for these?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!