• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if Florida takes over WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was just for the employees that Disney took their stand. There is a misread of the shift in the majority of American's attitudes on these matters over the last few decades. I have a gay sister, my son has a trans friend. I am still supportive of Disney though not a fan of Florida in general.
If it wasn't for Disney we would never find ourselves there for sure.

100%. If it wasn't for WDW, we would never bother going to Florida. As it is.... I try to spend as little money off WDW property in Florida as possible. Maybe a tank of gas and a six pack. Florida itself has zero appeal.
I wonder if all the people pining for the State would bother visiting Florida. I can say for myself that I would have absolutely no reason to visit Miami, Tampa, or Jacksonville if Orlando didn't exist. Except maybe for retirement, but not with my family. By allowing Disney to control their own destiny, the State(at the time) realized the result would be a potentially endless stream of tax revenue. The State doesn't stand a chance. Period.

Ok come on now. You can hate the politics of Florida and still admit it’s absolutely beautiful. I hate everything California stands for, but it’s an amazingly beautiful state. Cocoa beach, Marco Island, Key West, Naples, St Augustine. I’m not sure how you could hate those places. Such a weird argument to make.

Ok come on now. You can hate the politics of Florida and still admit it’s absolutely beautiful. I hate everything California stands for, but it’s an amazingly beautiful state. Cocoa beach, Marco Island, Key West, Naples, St Augustine. I’m not sure how you could hate those places. Such a weird argument to make.
Trust me... it has nothing to do with politics. And sure -Key West, Sanibel, New Smyrna Beach are all beautiful not to mention some of my favorite places. But, in general, I'm not going there for family vacations. Granted I'm from a place where we have beautiful beaches so I'm not land-locked. Your average family isn't sitting in their living room talking about how they want to take the kids to Key West or Sanibel ...whereas thousands of families plan Disney World vacations for the children, and with that comes LOTS of tax revenue.

How often do you visit Cali for vacation then?

Didn't say I hated those other places; I just don't visit them. There are beautiful beaches all over the country, in the Caribbean, no need to go to Florida ones. I go to Orlando for the theme parks, and visit my family who spend winters in Venice FL. That's it.

I wonder if all the people pining for the State would bother visiting Florida. I can say for myself that I would have absolutely no reason to visit Miami, Tampa, or Jacksonville if Orlando didn't exist. Except maybe for retirement, but not with my family. By allowing Disney to control their own destiny, the State(at the time) realized the result would be a potentially endless stream of tax revenue. The State doesn't stand a chance. Period.
Are you typically pro big business?

100%. If it wasn't for WDW, we would never bother going to Florida. As it is.... I try to spend as little money off WDW property in Florida as possible. Maybe a tank of gas and a six pack. Florida itself has zero appeal.
Why? It makes no sense. For me I find Delaware, New Jersey, South Carolina and Georgia a bit boring of states looks wise, un-appealing as you say, but I would not think to not spend money in those states if I needed to eat or found something to purchase.

Trust me... it has nothing to do with politics. And sure -Key West, Sanibel, New Smyrna Beach are all beautiful not to mention some of my favorite places. But, in general, I'm not going there for family vacations. Granted I'm from a place where we have beautiful beaches so I'm not land-locked. Your average family isn't sitting in their living room talking about how they want to take the kids to Key West or Sanibel ...whereas thousands of families plan Disney World vacations for the children, and with that comes LOTS of tax revenue.

Didn't say I hated those other places; I just don't visit them. There are beautiful beaches all over the country, in the Caribbean, no need to go to Florida ones. I go to Orlando for the theme parks, and visit my family who spend winters in Venice FL. That's it.
Why? It makes no sense. For me I find Delaware, New Jersey, South Carolina and Georgia a bit boring of states looks wise, un-appealing as you say, but I would not think to not spend money in those states if I needed to eat or found something to purchase.

It is not about politics, it is about something unique (WDW) that you can't really get anywhere else. There is a reason why WDW is the best of all of the Disney properties (although I hear Tokyo is pretty damn amazing too). People come from all over the world for WDW, not for Florida. Oh sure they might go to the beach on a non park day... maybe the Space Center for some "education" while you have the kids pulled out of school. But without what the Mouse built... nah, they would not come, no more than any other warm US state with beaches. See .... I am not a huge beach fan, but if I was, I could go to many other states/countries that have beautiful beaches... swamps, mangroves, alligators even manatees? yup other states/places have those too... warm weather... check can get that in lots of places? See all of those while beautiful... are not that unique, not like WDW is. If WDW was not there, then neither would Universal be there... or SeaWorld etc.. All of that business and economy has one entity to thank.... Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:
Grew up in Massachusetts then moved to NH until I reached my 40s. I never cared for the NE politics, winters and taxes so I left for Florida, wish I had done it sooner. Best time of my life. Give me a hot humid summer day over a cold gray winter day any time. I visit New England only when I have to.

Are you typically pro big business?
Not particularly ..but how can you judge? All businesses operate differently -it would be hard to say one is better or worse than another(big or small). But I'm pro-law, so if you enter an agreement with very clear stipulations both parties should adhere to them. Trying to take something away creates an unfair advantage ..i.e., the State would not only control but also reap the benefits(in Taxes). When looked at legally it just doesn't work ...in my opinion. Unless the State paid Disney for the value of the property and all its assets, and gave them the opportunity to walk ...but I'm fairly certain the State doesn't want to look at that.

It is not about politics, it is about something unique (WDW) that you can't really get anywhere else. There is a reason why WDW is the best of all of the Disney properties (although I hear Tokyo is pretty damn amazing too). People come from all over the world for WDW, not for Florida. Oh sure they might go to the beach on a non park day... maybe the Space Center for some "education" while you have the kids pulled out of school. But without what the Mouse built... nah, they would not come, no more than any other warm US state with beaches. See .... I am not a huge beach fan, but if I was, I could go to many other states/countries that have beautiful beaches... swamps, mangroves, alligators even manatees? yup other states/places have those too... warm weather... check can get that in lots of places? See all of those while beautiful... are not that unique, not like WDW is. If WDW was not there, then neither would Universal be there... or SeaWorld etc.. All of that business and economy has one entity to thank.... Mickey Mouse.
You made it a point to say that outside of WDW, you do your best to not spend any money in Florida except for a six pack and some gas. Are we really gonna pretend it’s because you don’t like beaches and good Cuban sandwiches?

My point remains that people (outside of Floridians in the county with a vested interest) only care about RCID because it’s become the new “side”. Why else would you care what happens to a corporation that has zero interest whether you ever visit their parks again?

It may be lip service, but it was the lip service their employees were looking for. Any business leader knows they need to keep the employees happy, and it could be said that Disney hadn’t necessarily done a great job recently. So clearly they felt it was time to step up. Assuming that Disney didn’t take this entire situation into consideration before they made their public comments is foolish -they understood exactly that this was the likely result.
It helps if their customers are happy too.

Disney is but a shadow of its former self. There are many wonderful activities in Florida beside the world. We have gradually cut our visits significantly over the last several years. At the point of wiping our trips out completely...for numerous reasons The kiddos prefer Universal and Atlantis. WDW is too crowded, expensive, generic and controversial...to name a few.

Disney is but a shadow of its former self. There are many wonderful activities in Florida beside the world. We have gradually cut our visits significantly over the last several years. At the point of wiping our trips out completely...for numerous reasons The kiddos prefer Universal and Atlantis. WDW is too crowded, expensive, generic and controversial...to name a few.
But people can still go to WDW if they want too - right? I mean its ok if other people like it and you don't?

You made it a point to say that outside of WDW, you do your best to not spend any money in Florida except for a six pack and some gas. Are we really gonna pretend it’s because you don’t like beaches and good Cuban sandwiches?

My point remains that people (outside of Floridians in the county with a vested interest) only care about RCID because it’s become the new “side”. Why else would you care what happens to a corporation that has zero interest whether you ever visit their parks again?
the question was not about why I don't spend money in Florida in general, but (what I thought) was a separate question about what Florida has in regards to its natural attributes and beauty. Politics has nothing to do with why I go to Florida, nor does its beaches and warm weather.... WDW is why I go to Florida, just WDW. Even though I have nothing against a good Cuban sandwich. I honestly do not like hot weather (i go to FL in Jan, Feb, April), I am not a beach person in general, doesn't really matter where the beach is

Now as to why do I do or do not spend money in a place or establishment? I believe in my money, my choice on where to spend it, and and yes sometimes that is because of politics or practices. Sometimes I cannot avoid spending money on something I need which may have at its heart an entity I do not like... for example oil and gasoline ... but I need to heat my home and run my car. But whenever possible I like to spend my money at a place that makes me happy or comfortable. Esp. If it is a small business that I support, like, say for example Gideons' Bakehouse... I will eat those cookies outside of WDW in the East End market for sure....

Last edited:
It helps if their customers are happy too.
When you go into a business, do you tend to return if you were treated with positive service? When employees treat you like trash do you keep going back? Not me....

Maybe in your opinion. What you like and enjoy may be completely different than what I enjoy. Just like I would wager what you think is controversial at WDW is likely not what I would consider controversial.

I will be trying Universal again this upcoming trip, so far it has been just ok for us, I have yet to have a 'great time" there... always way to crowded when we have gone, but we are excited to try it with express passes... speaking of expensive, those cost more than our actual park tickets.

When you go into a business, do you tend to return if you were treated with positive service? When employees treat you like crap do you keep going back? Not me....
If you recall, there were employees that were upset when they took no stance, and also employees were upset when they did take a stance. It’s not like Disney CMs are some monolithic group of same thinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter