What Happend to MGM????

I'm taking 2 friends for their first trip to WDW in Nov and we have 7 day passes. I have planned 2 days at each park EXCEPT MGM. I know it will be fun to see it through their eyes as first-timers! They are really looking forward to Fantasmic and lunch at 50's Prime Time and I think they'll like Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid and some other things, but I didn't feel there was enough for 2 days at this park.

I totally agree with the poster who loved the Hunchback show - it was one of the BEST shows in all of Disney! Maybe because the movie wasn't a huge hit the show didn't have the draw?

My kids are teens now and enjoy MGM for ToT and RnR. I'm amazed how many new things cater to the preschool crowd - not all bad, but it's an interesting mix. One of my favorite memories from our last visit was an adorable little girl dancing her heart out on the sidewalk in front of JoJo's Circus. Cutest thing I've seen in years!!!

We went to MGM the morning we left! There wasn't that much to do. We spend the least amount of time there. Three days of MK in a row this year! :D

DBF and I don't care too much for MGM either. It's just the 2 of us, so we find that most of the shows are too "kiddie" for us. The things we do enjoy are Muppets 3D, Indiana Jones, Backlot Tour, but since we are in Disney usually every 3 months...we find there's only so many times we can sit through those shows! I LOVE LOVE LOVE TOT so when we go to MGM we usually end up going on TOT 3-5 times, catching 1 or 2 of the shows, grabbing a bite to eat, and heading out the exit. I think Disney needs to work on this park the most! I think it's great for people who have kids...but for us older kids (umm I mean Adults...hehe) there could definitely be more things added.

we are looking forward to the new changes coming in the new year.From what I have read there will be a few since it is changing to Disney Studios come the first of the year.

I think I will always love MGM because the first time I went to WDW, that was the first park we visited. I fell in love with it the moment I walked through the gates.

I do think it needs a little touch ups here and there.

But I really like the shops and restaurants as well.

Does no one enjoy Indiana Jones anymore?

Now I haven't been there in about a year and a half :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:
so I don't know what is there, but they always have good characters too.

I don't even ride RnRC or TOT too afraid... Love the Muppets and Great Movie ride, but they do need an update.

Hey maybe with the new Indiana Jones movie coming out, they will spruce up that show?

Aw, I loved the Stunt Show!! I thought it was really cool... I can understand, though, how you feel about RnR being down! That's terrible!! But MGM is probably my favorite park... Yes, I, too, can remember a time when Backlot Tour didn't suck... But MGM still offers a LOT of good stuff!! I could easily spend an entire day there!!Especially with Tower of Terror, The Little Mermaid Show, Beauty & the Beast, Great Movie Ride, Drew Carey's Sound Stage, Muppet 3D, Indiana Jones, Sci-Fi, 50's Prime Time, RnR (though I know you didn't have that option), Star Tours (sorry it gives you a headache, I highly enjoy it!), the shops, the characters... And I know I didn't even cover it all!!! Every time my family goes, we plan on spending at least 2 days there! To each his own, I suppose.... :confused3

We still love MGM too, Can't imagine only a half day in any of the parks. Would agree that the missing Hunchback show was one of the best ever, but love the LMA, the backstage tour, trying the art class every time to see if we have improved, the streetmosphere and walking around all the sets. Will always be glad to see more added to this park, but still love what there is soooo much!

All we do there is RnR, Tower of Terror, The Movie Ride, and The Little Mermaid show. Fantasmic's pretty awesome, but there isn't much there that appeals to us. It's depressing too--a lot of the park is just cardboard constructs meant to resemble a movie set.

We've never done the backstage tour--maybe we'll do that on the upcoming trip (Oct 10-14th).

In the words of michael o grattan, vice president of the Disney-MGM Studios, 2008 will be 'the year of the studios!'

And i believe that this is very true.

Firstly the name change. Disney's Hollywood Studios. This will bring a new lease of life to the studios and go right to the core of what the studios park really means, as 'the hollywood that never was but always will be'.

Secondly, the new Toy Story Mania in the new land Pixar Place. This is sure to be a great addition. An interactive, always changing, 3D ride with all the favorite characters. With the release of Toy Story 3 in theatres come 2010, Toy Story Mania will be a welcome addition to the park.

Thirdly, the new parade. Pixar's Block Party Bash straight from Disney's California Adventure is the most fun, entertaining, interactive parades that i have ever seen. For those that don't know, the streets will be filled with dancing performers, trampolinists, character performers from all of the pixar movies. Guests will have the opportunity to sit along the parade route or watch from one of the designated 'Party Zones'. In the Party Zones the parade will stop for 10 to 15 minutes and YOU will become part of the parade. YOU will be invited to get up and join the cast to party, dance, play, move, groove and interact with all of the pixar characters and the performers. This will bring a huge boost to the parks atmosphere and replace a much loved parade with another.

Lastly, a new show for the ABC theatre is currently in the works. Nothing can be revealed at present, but from what has been heard so far, the show will be worth the wait and extremely popular.

So there you have it. At least four massive changes coming to the Disney MGM Studios for 2008 alone. Management knows that things need to change. The plans for 2009 onwards are just as spectacular.

They need to give MGM some fast help! For me, the only things I even like are TOT and RnR. We are always in and out of MGM anymore. I do not like the stunt show, and a lot of the other attractions need major updates. Or, better yet...more new attractions!

It's always been a half day park for us. Maybe we just don't "get" what the draw is, but it's always been my least favorite park for sure.

When in 2008 will the new additions be complete? Anything for older kids? I feel the same way you do only about MK - when you have kids older than 9 or so, it's tough to find much to do to fill a morning much less a day. We go to WDW every 3 years and that's why I look forward so much to any changes and additions. Doing the same attractions over and over loses the magic - our hometown park, Hershey, adds a new ride every year to keep things fresh.

i remember going as a kid and walking through the studios.... anyone remember that?? we saw the MMC being taped. i have to say it is the one thing that i will always remember at MGM as a kid growing up!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW!!!!

One of the things that bothered me was the fact that when your looking at the map and it listed all the attractions and resturants... There were as many resturants as there were attratcions.. I am not one to sit down for a meal.. I like the faster food plces so I can get up and go... More things to do would be great. I cant wait to see what happens in the near future to bring MGM out of the dark for me..

i remember going as a kid and walking through the studios.... anyone remember that?? we saw the MMC being taped. i have to say it is the one thing that i will always remember at MGM as a kid growing up!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW!!!!

AMEN! That was my favorite show as well, and I got to attend a couple of tapings in 1994. That was such a great experience! It just makes me sad that there just isn't any constant production going on any more at that park.

AMEN! That was my favorite show as well, and I got to attend a couple of tapings in 1994. That was such a great experience! It just makes me sad that there just isn't any constant production going on any more at that park.

I remember that!!! I loved that show too!! I was an avid fan! That was a highlight of going to the studios for me in the early nineties. By the way, if you haven't seen it, there is a E True Hollywood Story on the show. Try to catch it if you haven't seen it yet. Very interesting!

It seems like a bunch of you like to run the Studios down but honestly its one of my favorite parks. This trip I spent more time in Epcot & MK but I still found my way to the Studios. There weren't as many things to do this year with RNRC being down but next year oh wow I can't wait! The name change(that i'm not sure i'm gonna be used to) to Disney Hollywood Studios, Toy Story Mania & RNRC being re-open plus Spaceship Earth at Epcot. 2008 should be an even better trip. But this past time, I loved the Sci-Fi & Prime Time. Two amazing dining experiences & the food was pretty good as well. I loved being able to see the soft open last sunday of HSM 2: School's Out which was great in it's own right. I spent a lot of time at One Man's Dream & got to see Fantasmic & The Muppets in addition to taking home a Disney MGM Studios shirt since they won't be available next year. All in all I had a great time at the Studios & that was without going to Star Tours, Indy, Backlot, Beauty & The Beast or Lights Motors Action. Proof positive if you're a good planner, you can make the best of what some call a half-day park. Here's to 2008, it's gonna be great!

It seems like a bunch of you like to run the Studios down but honestly its one of my favorite parks. This trip I spent more time in Epcot & MK but I still found my way to the Studios. There weren't as many things to do this year with RNRC being down but next year oh wow I can't wait! The name change(that i'm not sure i'm gonna be used to) to Disney Hollywood Studios, Toy Story Mania & RNRC being re-open plus Spaceship Earth at Epcot. 2008 should be an even better trip. But this past time, I loved the Sci-Fi & Prime Time. Two amazing dining experiences & the food was pretty good as well. I loved being able to see the soft open last sunday of HSM 2: School's Out which was great in it's own right. I spent a lot of time at One Man's Dream & got to see Fantasmic & The Muppets in addition to taking home a Disney MGM Studios shirt since they won't be available next year. All in all I had a great time at the Studios & that was without going to Star Tours, Indy, Backlot, Beauty & The Beast or Lights Motors Action. Proof positive if you're a good planner, you can make the best of what some call a half-day park. Here's to 2008, it's gonna be great!

I still visit this park evey trip and see just about every attraction/ride there is. But I loved the MMC taping there. My favorite coaster is by far RNRC. And I love TOT! I like that they have added Lights, Motors, Actions, but I still think they need a few more attractions. Just my personal opinion. I have no doubt that they will get there though! I have faith in Disney! :Pinkbounc

We still enjoy it.
The Backstage Tour has been blech for years but my DD7 favorite ride is there. ToT which cracks me up since she won't ride Splash Mountain at MK.

DD11 and DH love Star Tours and the SciFi Diner.

I like the Indiana Jones Stunt show and am hoping to see the Beauty and the Beast Show in Sept. 2008 since we keep missing it.

For my family, it's still an all day park.

i also used to love this park. Now it seems like I can be there for a few hours and them I am done. I am hoping with the new addition replacing millionare, that will help it. I do love Fanstamic!!! But Star Wars weekends is the best!!! My favorite time of the year!!

This park is worth going to for Fantasmic alone! We were amazed by this show and we all agreed it was one of our favorites of the whole trip! :thumbsup2
We also wouldn't miss the Muppets or the Beauty and the Beast show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter