What Happend to MGM????

We often skip MGM on our trips to Disney. We just dont find that there is much to do there.

I will always love RnR, Fantasmic and ToT. But now that I've been several times Star Wars, Muppets, and even GMR are not quite as big a deal for me as they used to be. Among the shows, I really like only Indiana Jones. LMA is just OK for me; Beauty and the Beast is a little too girlie to hold my attention for repeat viewings. Backlot Tour doesn't interest me anymore. It used to be that AK was at the bottom of my list, but now MGM is there.

It's funny, I have to disagree with most of the posters. We love MGM. We spend at least 1-2 days at this park each year. We don't go on RNRC. AK is at the bottom of our list and only spend half a day in this park. I know I will probably get flamed for this, but okay. I say to each his own. Everyone has their own opinions. That's the great thing about Disney, it appeals to everyone's very different tastes. I'm glad for the new Toy Story ride, I think we will enjoy it very much. It will be a great addition to one of our favorite parks.:thumbsup2

Granted, I go solo almost every year in January, so it's not that crowded. But here's what I will do this year at the Studios:

Rock N' Roller Coaster (assuming it's open) a couple of times
Tower of Terror a couple of times
One Man's Dream (love that show!)
Great Movie Ride
Beauty and the Beast (love Four for a Dollar!)
Star Tours
MuppetVision 3D (maybe)
Voyage of the Little Mermaid (maybe)
Lunch at '50s Prime Time Cafe

I'll get all that done, and take the boat to Epcot by 2:00 p.m. Would love to make it a full day park (and with my wife and 4 kids in tow, it pretty much is), but by myself I just can't spend a whole day there.

I am bored to tears with MGM as of now. I feel like it's a "hurry up and wait" park. I feel like the time you end up waiting for shows in the "pre show" areas and just waiting around in general is more time combined than the hours you're actually doing something fun. I enjoy Little Mermaid, BATB, and Fantasmic but thats about it. It seems without those Disney shows there and Fantasmic it doesn't feel very Disney like...:guilty:

We love MGM :love: My DS10 and I go back and forth between TOT and RnRC. After 4 or 5 times, my head is spinning! It was the first park I went to with my son, so it will probably allways be my favorite. I do agree that the changes in 2008 and beyond will be welcomed addition.

I've been going for a long time and have never seen Fantasmic

We just run out of things to do at MGM by 3:00 and can't figure out how to stretch it to fantasmic...or even to dinner time.

I loved the back-lot tour when it was new. They had props from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and battle ships and all kinds of cool props. But over the years... I've seen things taken away and nothing new ever added.

Use to love seeing the working sound stages... very exciting take a tour of a working production...

Now I just go for the Sci-Fi lunch.... Could they afford a few bucks to change that 45 minute film?

I remember seeing Doug Show in the ABC Theater with my granddaughter, going through the Animation studios, talking to the animators and watching the new movies they were working on. But the biggest thrill was seeing the Hunchback of Notre Dame show. That was truly amazing. When they took that show away they took the magic of MGM...for me at least.:sad:

My boyfriend and I love MGM! But we get engrossed in the street shows so that takes up a large portion of the day. If you haven't stopped to watch them, they're great! :yay: We've even made friends with one of the CM's from the street shows, Kitty Calico, and she remembers us every time we go back. It's really cool. We love the rollercoaster and ToT. I love Startours, the Muppets, etc. When we were there in June we spent several days there. We only had a day to spend there on our most recent trip.

I am disappointed in the backlot tour, I wish it was longer and yes, I'm one of those disappointed people who wishes the Golden Girls house was still there because I used to watch that show every week with my grandma, so it holds a special significance for me. But, whatever. Still a park we love! :banana:

I've been going for a long time and have never seen Fantasmic
We just run out of things to do at MGM by 3:00 and can't figure out how to stretch it to fantasmic...or even to dinner time.

Have you tried letting it be a lazy morning around the resort and going to MGM after lunch?

Fantasmic is definitely my favorite of all the nighttime shows at WDW!

I am learning to like MGM.
It used to be our "half-day" park.
Then it was our "no day" park...
I think we can enjoy a full day there this year, or at least 9AM - 5PM.
My boys will LOVE Indy. I want to try RnR. L!M!A! is TOTALLY awesome and will have repeat value for my boys and my DD#1 should like it, too.
Backlot and GMR stink IMO.
Drew Carey - buh-bye.
But we will go to Playhouse Disney, Beauty, Parade, see characters, do Muppets.
This is more of a "Show" park than a ride park.

This is the park that has to most potential, to me.

EPCOT is my zzzzzzzzzSNOREzzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe that will change too.

Have you tried letting it be a lazy morning around the resort and going to MGM after lunch?

Fantasmic is definitely my favorite of all the nighttime shows at WDW!

Next trip... I'm going to try that. Maybe do AK for first half of day and then MGM for second half of day. I use to scedule one day for each park...but I've got to plan better to see Fantasmic.

UGH-GM. We go for ToT and RnR (only for DDs, I skip it if at all possible) and the Osborne lights at Christmas. The park is actually quite lovely to wander through at Christmas time. Fantasmic is dreadful, none of us likes it at all (WAY too dark), so we try to go early in the morning, get the thrills out of the way, maybe catch Beauty and the Beast if DH isn't along, then boat over to Epcot for the rest of the day where we find a blend of fun rides that we can ALL do together and the World Showcase where we enjoy soaking up the cultures around us.

It's funny, I have to disagree with most of the posters. We love MGM. We spend at least 1-2 days at this park each year. We don't go on RNRC. AK is at the bottom of our list and only spend half a day in this park. I know I will probably get flamed for this, but okay. I say to each his own. Everyone has their own opinions. That's the great thing about Disney, it appeals to everyone's very different tastes. I'm glad for the new Toy Story ride, I think we will enjoy it very much. It will be a great addition to one of our favorite parks.:thumbsup2

I totally agree! I have always loved MGM even though I don't do roller coasters (at least not ones that go upside down or backwards). I really can't think of a single attraction I don't like, and I absolutely can't wait for the Pixar area and attractions :yay: AK is at the bottom of my list, too.

I have to say I could do without MGM but DH loves Star Wars, so we have to go.

I love Muppets, Mermaid and the Great Movie Ride but that is it for me. Also, the lack of a decent counter service place is another pet peeve of mine.

I hope that they will do lots of new things to change my mind about it in the future.

I agree with the general sentiment: MGM is our least favorite WDW park, although we go for about half a day every other year.

My sons are too old for Playhouse Disney, but too young for ToT and R&R coaster. That leaves Star Tours, the Muppet movie, and HISTK playground. They did get awesome Darth Maul face paint one year, though!

(In contrast, we went to Universal Studios in 2003, and we saw what a real movie themed park with working production is like, and that is now a full day must-do every year.)

You're not alone in your assessment of MGM, I've heard it from lots of people. We used to love it as well, and now I'm not sure if we'll even go over there except for Fantasmic. Sure, RnR and TOT are fun but not worth the trip. The backlot tour is a total joke now. The reason the houses are gone and it's much shorter is because of the addition of Lights Motors Action - which isn't worth the real estate in my humble opinion. If you've seen it once, it's not worth a repeat. They cram so many people in there and it's so HOT in those stands. Half of the show is set-up of the next shot. PLUS the Osborne Lights during the holidays is now on New York street and it's just not the same.

Remember the days of SuperStar Theater and the Monster Sound Show? That was when MGM was great. Oh, and the animation tour - we LOVED that.

MGM needs SERIOUS help and not another thrill attraction. Bring back the original formula - which was BE A PART OF THE MOVIES. A part of Hollywood in it's hey-day.

It's really really sad.

PamNC

In the words of michael o grattan, vice president of the Disney-MGM Studios, 2008 will be 'the year of the studios!'

And i believe that this is very true.

Firstly the name change. Disney's Hollywood Studios. This will bring a new lease of life to the studios and go right to the core of what the studios park really means, as 'the hollywood that never was but always will be'.

Secondly, the new Toy Story Mania in the new land Pixar Place. This is sure to be a great addition. An interactive, always changing, 3D ride with all the favorite characters. With the release of Toy Story 3 in theatres come 2010, Toy Story Mania will be a welcome addition to the park.

Thirdly, the new parade. Pixar's Block Party Bash straight from Disney's California Adventure is the most fun, entertaining, interactive parades that i have ever seen. For those that don't know, the streets will be filled with dancing performers, trampolinists, character performers from all of the pixar movies. Guests will have the opportunity to sit along the parade route or watch from one of the designated 'Party Zones'. In the Party Zones the parade will stop for 10 to 15 minutes and YOU will become part of the parade. YOU will be invited to get up and join the cast to party, dance, play, move, groove and interact with all of the pixar characters and the performers. This will bring a huge boost to the parks atmosphere and replace a much loved parade with another.

Lastly, a new show for the ABC theatre is currently in the works. Nothing can be revealed at present, but from what has been heard so far, the show will be worth the wait and extremely popular.

So there you have it. At least four massive changes coming to the Disney MGM Studios for 2008 alone. Management knows that things need to change. The plans for 2009 onwards are just as spectacular.

This sounds great and I hope it all comes to pass. I hope the new shows have mass appeal unlike LMA & high school musical. Seriously, I love Disney and I used to really enjoy all the shows, rides, etc. at MGM, but I'm just either tired of the old stuff because I've seen/done them all so many times and the new stuff doesn't appeal to me.

That said, it's funny that I've been riding some of the rides in MK nearly my whole life and I never tire of them.:confused3

Does anyone know when the new Toy Story attraction ( is it going to be a ride?)will open? I would like to know more..hadn't heard about this. Also I have heard about a Jedi training attraction. Anyone know about that? thanks!

Does anyone know when the new Toy Story attraction ( is it going to be a ride?)will open? I would like to know more..hadn't heard about this. Also I have heard about a Jedi training attraction. Anyone know about that? thanks!

Not sure about Toy Story, but I think they are just building a permanent stage to feature the Jedi Training Academy on a more regular basis than just the Star Wars Weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter