What grinds your gears?

There was a post that was shared on fb, written by a young mom addressing all the bad looks she got from allowing her child to have a tablet in a restaurant. She talks about how it’s her time too and she wants to relax and have a little conversation with her husband. How 23 hours a day her attention is on her kids but that one hour she just wants to drink her tea. Really made me think about whether it was really hurting anything.

LOL. This reminded me of my and my kids' trip to Disney without DH (he'd gotten deployed to Afghanistan, and told us to go ahead, as it was all paid for and planned before he left).

I'd been soloing with a 6 and 12-year old all week, and we were all pretty worn out. Our last night was a downpour thunderstorm, and we stopped at an Olive Garden before going back to the house we were renting. DD6 was watching a video on her portable DVD player, DS12 was playing his GameBoy (it was 2006!), and I was reading a book. I'm sure we looked completely dysfunctional, but it was a single moment in time and we just all needed the "alone" time.

Looking back, probably should've just ordered pizza delivery back at the house.

Too many to list all. Lol!

People who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Drivers who don’t know how to merge (going too slowly on a highway; not yielding properly).

Drivers who come to a complete stop at a yield when there is no one around. It’s a yield; not a stop sign.

Loud chewers.

Talking with a mouth full of food.

Slurping soup.

People who bring pets (who are clearly not service animals) into stores and restaurants. I saw a woman with a large dog in Panera waiting for an order. Nooooooooo. Not where I’m eating!

Ok fine. I’ll play. My pet peeve is ppl who don’t mind their business on things that don’t affect them at all & use the observations of their inappropriate nosiness to make them feel like they are superior ppl and parents.

Oh gosh! LOL! My other pet peeve is people who get way too worked up over things on the internet. When I see a family with all their offspring at a restaurant with the children all with an iPad, headphones on, I don't say anything. I do sigh and think it's pretty comical when Johnny is bought his food and he's still plugged in, eating his chicken fingers and fries, not even looking at his plate, eyes glued on his video. Like the restraunt could burn down around this kid and he would have no idea with his fixation on the YouTube video! Lol. But I don't say anything because deep down I don't really care. They aren't my kids. I enjoy my meal and the company I'm with. But yea this one time on this disboard I commented on how it bothered me... so if a 5-word comment turned me into someone who thinks they are superior, inappropriate, and loud then eh whatever. If something like that strikes such a nerve with someone, it's usually a personal problem. Have a good day!

Well actually I'm only in my early 20's so I don't know how "old" I am considered lol! When I was younger at a restaurant my entertainment was the children's menu with the little games. Or I drew in a notebook. For me that was enough to be entertained, it was enough for my brother, my cousins, my friends back in the day. Why now doesn't the little kid menu games cut it? Personally, I feel like children watch too much tv and spend too much time on electronics. They are used to being constantly stimulated by bright color video games with sound effects and crazy effects so simple fun simply bores them. Kids these days never experience being bored. They never have to come up with their own games.

It grinds my gears when people without kids think they know how to be better parents than actual parents.

I'll play too. My pet peeve is millenials with superiority complexes that really have NO idea about life, but want to give advice and admonish the older and wiser generation.
Amen.......................
Our local newspaper has just such a Millennial as the new editor.
Every week we get to read about him, his family, his childhood, (Which wasn't that long ago.) how we should all embrace a certain political belief system, his opinions on other peoples life styles, how he would straighten out the World and it's leaders, and most importantly, more stuff about him......................

We are bi-polar on the device situation. On one hand, we try to act as if we'd rather the kids do anything other than devices. On the other hand, we are human, and we have 3 kids, and sometimes it's okay for them to have devices. I agree with a poster above that said it's no different than a coloring book. If our kids never went outside, didn't have friends, didn't participate in activities, did poorly in school, etc... I'd worry about it. But if mom and I want to enjoy our meal when the kids are done with their nuggets and mac n cheese, I'll hand them a dang device if needed! (PS, just don't let the grandparents see it... lol)

Definitely!

It grinds my gears when people without kids think they know how to be better parents than actual parents.

I kind of see both sides on this one. I agree that people without kids probably have no idea what's going on in parents' heads at that very moment, or what likely lead up to that moment, and may certainly misinterpret a snapshot as a pattern.

But I don't believe we should totally discount their ideas either - precisely because they're not involved, and can observe without emotions getting in the way, they may have insights that someone in the middle of the situation doesn't see. (I'm sure I missed things when I was an exhausted new mom!)

But it's all about having sympathy along with the ideas, rather than judgement.

Last edited:
Incorrect grammar - particularly when apostrophes aren’t used correctly.

I also don’t like when people don’t clean up after their own mess, like littering on the street, leaving a toilet cubicle in a mess, leaving a table at a QS restaurant in a mess, etc. I try to leave things as I found them so it annoys me sometimes if I have to tidy up someone else’s mess too! :)

You bet. But it's becoming more difficult. My shopping cart quarter haul used to fund Mickey Bars for BOTH DW and I. Now we have to share.
Come up and visit us sometime. Our carts take loonies - a Canadian dollar, which is at least worth $0.75 USD, so you could immediately triple your income. Enough to support your habbitt AND maybe even set a little aside for reaching the $500,000 mark on the retirement poll. :scratchin Of course with a dollar on the line, far fewer people abandon their carts with the coin in, so there's that.

People who post things on Facebook that start like "Inknow or many of my friends will read/post/share this but..."

And also memes that say things like "When I was a kid we didnt wear helmets, we came home when the streetlights went on etc:
Yeah when you were a kid kids died, got irreversible brain damage etc

Too many to list all. Lol!

Drivers who don’t know how to merge (going too slowly on a highway; not yielding properly).

Drivers who come to a complete stop at a yield when there is no one around. It’s a yield; not a stop sign.

Loud chewers.

Talking with a mouth full of food.

Slurping soup.

People who bring pets (who are clearly not service animals) into stores and restaurants. I saw a woman with a large dog in Panera waiting for an order. Nooooooooo. Not where I’m eating!
There was a woman with a cat in a baby carrier at Walmart the other day. It was meowing so loud...

People who preface their commentary by saying:

"Don't take this personally, but..."
or
"Not to get personal, but..."

And then they proceed to personally attack you. :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter