What grinds your gears?

65092BF9-D05D-406B-BD09-7C9583041213.jpeg I was a little annoyed when this gal chose to use the treadmill right next to me even though all the others were unoccupied, but when she took out her phone and had a very loud conversation for the next 5 minutes my gears were grinding.

View attachment 390757
I was a little annoyed when this gal chose to use the treadmill right next to me even though all the others were unoccupied, but when she took out her phone and had a very loud conversation for the next 5 minutes my gears were grinding.
Possible solutions if this happens again:
  • Start singing
  • Pull out your own phone and talk louder
  • Cluck like a chicken every time she talks
  • Fart

People who get in the way...the ones who block doors, stairwells, walkways, etc.

Honorable mention to people who drag their feet.

I love this one! I cannot stand people who block doorways especially! Also, like you said, walkways. I run or walk our local town bridge a few times a week and the pedestrian area can fit maybe three normal sized people across, this includes both directions. When I've gone with friends, we always go single file when people approach and look over our shoulders to make sure no one is coming up on us needing to pass. There are people who walk like 2,3 abreast and barely move for oncoming people to pass by. This morning I was running when it was still dark but it's well lighted and up ahead I could see two women approaching and know they could see me, not to mention my bright orange flashing arm band. 15 feet ahead and they still hadn't gone single file to allow me to pass and I had to shout excuse me and they still didn't budge till I could feel them pass me. Super annoying, especially when you are trying to retain momentum running uphill.

I love this one! I cannot stand people who block doorways especially! Also, like you said, walkways. I run or walk our local town bridge a few times a week and the pedestrian area can fit maybe three normal sized people across, this includes both directions. When I've gone with friends, we always go single file when people approach and look over our shoulders to make sure no one is coming up on us needing to pass. There are people who walk like 2,3 abreast and barely move for oncoming people to pass by. This morning I was running when it was still dark but it's well lighted and up ahead I could see two women approaching and know they could see me, not to mention my bright orange flashing arm band. 15 feet ahead and they still hadn't gone single file to allow me to pass and I had to shout excuse me and they still didn't budge till I could feel them pass me. Super annoying, especially when you are trying to retain momentum running uphill.

So annoying!! If someone doesn't want to share the road (so to speak) I will sometimes come to a dead stop so now I am in their way and they need to move to their right to keep going. But I can see not wanting to lose momentum.

Yesterday, some lady was taking a big suitcase on the train. She had it perpendicular to the bench she was sitting on so that it blocked almost the entire available space for people to walk past that spot to a different part of the train. Other people were saying excuse me to the people they had to brush past who were standing. I said excuse me to her and asked her to move her bag out of the way. Wake up people!!

Yesterday, some lady was taking a big suitcase on the train. She had it perpendicular to the bench she was sitting on so that it blocked almost the entire available space for people to walk past that spot to a different part of the train. Other people were saying excuse me to the people they had to brush past who were standing. I said excuse me to her and asked her to move her bag out of the way. Wake up people!!

Unreal! How can someone be so oblivious on a crowded train?? And good for you for asking her to move her bag. *people*

People who get in the way...the ones who block doors, stairwells, walkways, etc.

I commute into downtown Chicago everyday. The WORST is when people stop at the bottom of a moving escalator without getting out of the way -- it happens regularly. I nearly plowed into someone recently and they had the gall to look at me like it was my fault. Um, no. There's no where for me to go at the bottom of a freaking moving escalator.

Happens outside of the revolving doors, too -- they exit the door and just stop. And people don't understand when I yell a "keep moving" to them.

Hearing people complain about the pronunciation of the word "ask".

There is a group of people, some of them on this very board, who have very serious objections to saying "ax" (or "aks") instead of ask. These people say that pronunciation is ignorant.

Here's the problem: You are ignorant for thinking that pronunciation is ignorant.

The word goes back to Old English and was one of two common ways of pronouncing the word. The upper class in English society switched to "ask", but many parts of the lower class did not, at least not until significantly later. Some of those members of the lower class emigrated to the United States during the colonial period. Mostly in the South. So guess what group of people caught on to that pronunciation? That's right, the slaves. People brought to the United States and surrounding islands against this will as property. They learned English by their owners, including this "lower class English" version of ask.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do/

Cars overflowing out of a drive-thru coffee shop and blocking one of the two lanes of traffic. I think this should be illegal.

Oh and old fogies who think the younger generations are horrible, lazy human beings and denounce a whole generation.

And yes to tailgaters!

Last edited:
I commute into downtown Chicago everyday. The WORST is when people stop at the bottom of a moving escalator without getting out of the way -- it happens regularly. I nearly plowed into someone recently and they had the gall to look at me like it was my fault. Um, no. There's no where for me to go at the bottom of a freaking moving escalator.

Happens outside of the revolving doors, too -- they exit the door and just stop. And people don't understand when I yell a "keep moving" to them.

Yup to all of this!! I'm in NYC so I see this all the time too. One time the back up at the top of the escalator was so I bad I actually panicked and screamed at the guy not moving in front of me. He gave me the dirtiest look like "Calm down lady" but people were bumping into me from behind. It turns out a frail woman was causing the hold up but all the more reason to jump out of the way as soon as possible.

I wasn't blocking the aisle. My cart was. But don't worry. I got it back for you. I left it to roll freely in the parking lot so someone would hit it and crush it. That cart won't be bothering anyone any more.

LOL! Thanks for good laugh. I’ll think of this every time I’m annoyed by someone’s cart ;)

People who tail gate: do you really think you can intimate everyone by doing that?
My route to work includes an on-ramp that is designated as a zipper-merge. Occasionally I'll get on in front of someone who apparently takes offence to having had to yield and will go to great lengths to pull out and pass then weave back into my lane, often just to wind up being the vehicle right ahead of me when we both reach the next stop light. For some reason I find this rather hilarious and always hope the ridiculous little maneuver made the person's day. :rotfl2:

My route to work includes an on-ramp that is designated as a zipper-merge. Occasionally I'll get on in front of someone who apparently takes offence to having had to yield and will go to great lengths to pull out and pass then weave back into my lane, often just to wind up being the vehicle right ahead of me when we both reach the next stop light. For some reason I find this rather hilarious and always hope the ridiculous little maneuver made the person's day. :rotfl2:
In the last couple of years when they do construction around here they've been trying to push heavilly for people to do the zipper merge during the construction.........yeah it just rarely works.

The behavior you saw is something I see all the time, mostly in construction zones, because people don't believe it's "right" to do the zipper merge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter