What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl: Your like a politician, pulling words out of a quote to make your own point. Re read JDuckies post. It's far different than what you made it out to be with your highlights.
Not at all. The comment that larryz found ironic was indeed very ironic. It was clear ducky wasn't talking about safety at all, but about control when he said "strap them in":

They don't want to listen and want to keep walking away? Strap them in the stroller where they can't. They'll eventually learn.

His backpeddling after getting called out on it was pretty politician-like, though. ;)

I haven't chimed in with my own thoughts, yet, and only read the first and last couple of pages, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything. I am also one who thought leashes/tethers were ridiculous when I had just one child. My mellow child. :rotfl:

When I had my second, I realized why so many parents use them. By one year old, she could run faster than me, and since she was tiny enough to run directly under tables, handrails, squeeze between people, she could easily be gone in seconds flat. She could wiggle out of the five-point stroller harness and climb out in the blink of an eye as well.

We got a tether for her. It gave her more independance and freedom than the stroller or holding hands did, and it sure saved me many a backache. I'm only 5'4", but my hands are still too high for a toddler to hold without me walking around bent to one side, and the toddler's arm straight up over her head. Talk about uncomfortable for both of us!

As for the people who say "no one used them when I was a kid", just how old are you, exactly? My mom used one on my brother in the early 60's, and I remember seeing them most of my life. She had a picture of her own mom using one with her sister in the 1940's, and I've also read that they were commonly used in the early 20th century, though called walking reins at that time. So maybe your parents didn't feel you needed one, but obviously other parents did, and have for a long time. Not that that even means anything. My mom's car didn't have seat belts when I was a kid, but I don't think anyone here would think that was a good argument against installing seat belts in cars today.

I never liked them before I had kids. I still don't really like the ones that are attached to the child's hand or that actually look like a dog leash. I purchased this adorable plush, puppy backpack for my daughter when she was 2. She was at the age where she could run and wanted to be independent, not held. The backpack had a long tail that you could attach to the back and hold onto. My DD loved it - it didn't look like a leash at all, she could run a few feet in any direction and still be 'held'. We didn't use it very much, only a couple of times when we had to wait for ADR's and weren't moving. If we were walking through the park or going on rides, she was more than happy in the stroller. I think for parents who have children that are likely to run off, it's a lifesaver. Disney can be an extremely crowded place, and it would be a nightmare to lose a child anywhere, let alone in that number of people. I like the plush backpack out of all of them, and even though there are some I don't like I think it's important to remember that these things are designed for the safety of the child and I know that keeping your child safe comes first to any parent.

I'm packing one of those hand ones for my niece. The older one never needed one-she was too scared to move far away from me.

The younger niece isn't so afraid. I may resort to using it if she doesn't listen and stay with me. I think she will be fine without her mom there, but I'd feel safer knowing I have it if I need to use it. She doesn't listen well to my sister, but seems to do fine when I have her without her mom around.

I just think of that gut wrenching, overwhelming fear that hits when you realize that the child is NOT right next to you...........

I used a leash on older DS when he was younger, he was a runner (ASD). The youngest only needed a leash when camping - any other time he stuck right with me. It was pretty funny on those camping trips - the dog didn't need a leash but the kid did! :upsidedow If he didn't have one he kept running into the lake or jumping into fire pits. :sad2:

I have one for this trip with DN5. He has cerebral palsy, and can walk (and run if he has too!) He also likes to take off on me, and without the leash I wouldn't be able to let him walk at WDW at all.

So I agree with leashes for kids that need them - "better safe than sorry" as my Mom always used to say.

the whole you leash your dog why not your kids argument doesn't hold water for me. We expect more from our children than our dogs, and well we should. Children are smarter than dogs, and can be expected to learn much more easily not to stray. We leash our dogs because the don't know any better than to run into the street or after a car. We can easily teach our children better.

I know many dogs who know not to leave the yard - my neighbor across the street just opens up her front door for her 2 boston terriers to go out and do their business, and then call them to come in. Would she do that with a 2 year old? Leave him or her unattended, knowing full well that the child would stay in the yard? I've had 2 year olds 5x's now, and never expected them to know to not run in the street. There is a learning curve.

I knew someone would comment on that.

*sigh*

Guess you don't buckle up your kids when you put them in a car?

There's a reason for buckles in strollers. Some of the smaller ones can tip over if a child leans too far over (or they could fall out of the stroller). The strap across the waist (maybe some have more of a carseat harness now?) is for their safety, not to control them like an animal.

The reason I buckled mine into the stroller is so they wouldn't climb out - for those that weren't climbers, I didn't buckle them in (and when dd13 was little, they didn't have 5 point harnesses in strollers). Yes, it's for their safety - to keep them from escaping. Now, when they're in the car, you really have one option. When you are going for walks, you have more options - walk, be worn, or be pushed. Walking independenty is the least restrictive, walking with a harness the next, and you can debate the stroller vs. being worn as the most restrictive.

ETA - *sigh*

I'm packing one of those hand ones for my niece. The older one never needed one-she was too scared to move far away from me.

The younger niece isn't so afraid. I may resort to using it if she doesn't listen and stay with me. I think she will be fine without her mom there, but I'd feel safer knowing I have it if I need to use it. She doesn't listen well to my sister, but seems to do fine when I have her without her mom around.

I hope you ok'd this with your sister.

Yeah the you leash your dog why not your kid doesn't work for me either. It is exactly BECAUSE I leash my dog that I wouldn't leash my child. They simply remind me of an item for an animal and my children are not animals (most of the times).

Also there is very little chance my children will run off and bite someone ~ while the possibility that my dog might is only slightly hirer ~ they won't make me put my kid down if she HAPPENS to (not that I think my child or my goldendoodle would ever bite someone).

And yes I do allow my child to play in the unfenced backyard by herself ~ because I watch her. I don't have to stay out there every second because she knows her limits.

We rarely ever strapped the stroller straps because my DD1 didn't need it. DD2 hated it.

IMG_4939.JPG

They only "strapping" we do of our children is in the carseat ~ and IMHO that is the same as a seatlbelt which I wear myself.

I don't do anything to my children I would want done to myself.

AGAIN JMHO! Everyone has one. I don't judge you if you put a leash on your kid. But lots of reasons people have given don't hold with me either. Of course if I see you I don't know your reason so I don't judge.

Do what YOU are comfortable doing.

I just think of that gut wrenching, overwhelming fear that hits when you realize that the child is NOT right next to you...........

:confused:It's awful. We lost DS5 for a few minutes at Norway. I thought she was still with my mom browsing while I was checking us in for lunch. I turned around to see my mother by herself and she is not with DH either. We started shouting for her and a group of people next to us saw her crying. It was the scariest few minutes of my life. That scared her enough not to wonder off again.

We have never used a leash/harness/tether yet..... but our youngest DS2 is a dasher. He will take off anywhere and thinks it's funny to be chased so I am definately taking one. I love that Mickey one poster earlier!

When my wife was a child she actually saw a child taken away by a stranger from his parents. She remembers the the parents turning around and start screaming becuase the kid was just gone. She said a man simply walked up and took the boy's hand and walked into the crowd with him.

She has never forgot that and we got a tether backpack for our son when he started walking.

He mostly wants to walk...he doesn't like the stroller...and we simply can't hold his hand or carry him at all times he isn't in the stroller. So we use the tether. The first one we had was monkey back pack style. At WDW we got alot of comments about how cute it was and "did you know your son has a MONKEY on his back!?" It was fine. Then we got a Mickey Mouse version that goes on his back. Now all we hear is "Wow! Where did you get that? That is so great!" Our son loves his Mickey.

I did get a question from a guy from Germany about the tether. He asked me if we ever get any critism for using it. I told him that we get some funny looks sometimes, but usually we get more positive comments than negative. He thought it was a great idea and that he didn't see it much in Europe.

Eric

We use one of those monkey back packs with the straps that can detach. I see no problem with them as anyone who has a toddler will know that they can run for it on any opportunity. I don't really come across any comments while having it in the parks. If anything, some people comment how cute it is, but that's maybe because it's a little cuddly monkey on my daughter's back. She's only 18 months. I think they're fine for pre-schoolers.

What I don't get is all the use of the word "can't". I find this odd ~ you can't watch your child all the time, you can't hold their hand.

I did this VERY easily while at Disney by myself with the girls (2) and (4). I held Z's hand the entire time unless we were eating lunch or on a ride or in line kind of thing and then my eyes are on her.

I saw 4 children on leashes last week at the Magic Kingdom. It's not something that we ever felt the need to do. I'm sure the parents who do this have their own reasons.

I'm sure they did too, their children, they decide, your children you decide. Easy peasy ::yes::

To put my use of a leash (although I don't like calling them that), we let Mollie walk for a bit without any straps and she's usually fine. If she's in a slightly mischeivous mood, we'd put the straps on her. She doesn't really like sitting in a push chair, and she likes to be independent and walk. She hates holding hands as she 'wants to do everything for herself'.

I see absolutely no harm in having one on your young child, I feel it's for their safety - not to tell them when to sit, roll over etc. :rotfl2:

1st time i took my daughter to wdw she was 7 i put a wrist lease on her, it was the first time i had ever gone alone and i was afraid she would get lost , it helped with people trying to push their way thru us cause they couldnt , this was 20 years ago, and i vividly remember walking to pirates to carribean and some people trying to push way thru, the only downside , she let go of my hand in the store and went around the display to look a something and when it was stretched all the way out she took it off SNAP right into my wrist! like a big elastic band , brought tears to my eyes, shes lucky we were at the happiest place on earth or i would have proberly beat her( lol just kidding), but we have brought my grandson several times and hes hyper and we have never used a lease fo him, for him we used a stroller, that worked just fine. :cool2:

Haven't read through the thread. Just want to reply to OP. My opinion is that it's nobody elses business at all if parents choose to use them or not. If you don't like them, fine.. Don't use them. If you do , it's your choice and it's a stupid thing for people to get judged over.

I'm here thus week and have seen a few. My 6 year old asked if she could wear one!! LOL of course I said "no, you're a big girl and don't need it" but I'll be honest... I would be more fearful of being seen by a DISer and finding a thread about it when I returned!:rotfl:

God love ya, I hope you're kidding -- who cares what people think about such things? ITA with your first statement :thumbsup2

Leashes are for dogs not kids, if you can't lick your own private area your not allowed to have a leash attached to ya... It's just the law.

:lmao:

I have seen WAY too many kids get hurt with those things. Thats all I'm sayin.

& probably OT -- I have seen sooooo many people (elderly) hurt by side rails on their beds & by seatbelts in their wheelchairs -- yet all *heck* breaks loose when explained to the family why they are not safe --- sorry, back to your regularly scheduled Dis Debate :)

I haven't needed one for my children (yet).
If you feel like it will enhance or make your trip more comfortable, why not?

I think it is horrible to put a child on a leash, I have 2 kids and if they run off or wander away its my fault for not watching, if they are a runner or wanderer that is because I raised them that way and let them get away with it. I know I will get thats kids being kids or you cant watch them every second of the day and other flames but if my child ran/wandered or was uncontrollable that I had to put a device that is used on an animal on them to control and watch them I would look in the mirror.

I think it is horrible to put a child on a leash, I have 2 kids and if they run off or wander away its my fault for not watching, if they are a runner or wanderer that is because I raised them that way and let them get away with it. I know I will get thats kids being kids or you cant watch them every second of the day and other flames but if my child ran/wandered or was uncontrollable that I had to put a device that is used on an animal on them to control and watch them I would look in the mirror.

I really don't think it's the case of looking in the mirror, and it's not about not controlling your kids. If you have a pre-schooler it allows them to learn and walk beside you. Obviously you don't haul at the leash and treat the child like an animal but I think there's a huge lot of criticism on parents that are using it to be safe. Alot of the time I only have a tight hold is if our daughter falls over.
Fair enough if you use one to treat you kid like a dog, then that's out of order.

I mean seriously, If I looked at myself in the mirror wondering how I could have a daughter with a monkey on her back, I'd be looking for a park ranger not for guilt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!