What do you pay for child care?

I'm a licensed daycare provider and I charge $140 a week in rural Upstate NY; which is fairly reasonable region for childcare.

You really should compare yourself to other unlicensed in-home daycares in your area, because all these other figures are irrelevant. Around here, centers are much more expensive than in-home daycare, and licensed providers are significantly more expensive than unlicensed.

But, it sounds to me like you don't think you're adequately compensated for what you do, which is your answer right there, particularly if you don't need this job.

When my sister watched my daughter from 3months old until 4 years old, I paid $1000 a month. As my daughter got older, she started attending preschool, which I paid in addition to the $1000/month to my sister. So she didn't have to watch her as much, but she got paid the same...instead of a raise, she got less work for the same money.

But, it sounds to me like you don't think you're adequately compensated for what you do, which is your answer right there, particularly if you don't need this job.

:thumbsup2
This!!!! You are so right! I DESERVE adequate compensation and if I'm not going to get it I need to let them go. It will probably improve family relations in the long run.

Thanks everyone for all your help and input I really appreciate it.

I pay $165 a week for my 16 month old son at a small daycare/preschool for 3 days full day (open 7-5:30, I usually go 7:30-4:30). So, I guess that is $55 a day. This is about average for centers in my area (Phoenix). In home daycares run in the same ball park, maybe a little less. My unlicensed friends charge between $8-10/hr for one child and $12-15/hr for two kids to watch them in their home with their own child, but I feel like that is high and I can't afford that on my teacher's salary. I think I could probably find a respectable, caring, responsible undocumented worker to watch him for about $5 an hour, but I would want a referral and I can't seem to tap into that market!

Next year I will be using the school district daycare for my 2 kids, 6 months and 2 years and paying $115 a week, per child, for similar times, 3 days a week. But, I get a 30% discount for being a district employee, so I feel like that is a smoking deal and that is still almost $40 a day.

We live in western NC and pay $110 a week per kid for our two youngest to go to a 5 star preschool/pre-k program, 5 days per week from 8-5. That also includes breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks per day.

My DD4 has had 3 different providers this year.

1 comes to our house from 8:30-12:30, 2 days a week- I pay her $40/wk
1 is a small Christian Preschool, 9-11:30, 2 days a week- I pay her $82/mo

Last semester she went to a pre-k lab at the college I teach at she didnt like it, so that is why she now has a babysitter come to our house. It was
8:45-4, 2 days a week for $44/wk (that was a discount)

You are the one being ripped off and she is getting a great deal! Essentially $300 per month per child for full daycare!!! The going rate would be more than double that. I pay $200 per month just for before school care (7-9 am).

Here in MD, I charge $175 per week for my preschoolers (I am licensed). That breaks down to $35/day. Licensed or not..$15/day is a steal!

I'm in Seattle. For my 20 month old I pay $45/day for 3 days a week. It goes down to $38/day once he's potty trained. This is a licensed home daycare.

I work at a Preschool in Orange County California. Our tuition is as follows:

Infant Care $950 per month

Once potty trained it goes to:

$679 per month for 5 full days per week

The price includes lunch and two snacks. I think your sister is getting a steal.

When my middle daughter was a baby I paid my neighbor at a licensed home daycare $125 per week and that was over 12 years ago!

My daughter pays $1,000 a month for her year old twins in a private day care home (Northern Utah). Your sister is getting a great deal! I used to do the same thing for family members (many years ago) and I don't think they ever realized or appreciated what I was doing for them.

Massachusetts here - state reimbursement rates are around $24 per day. When I was a family provider (until last year), I charged $38 per day, included diapers. Now with my two year old I pay $225 per week for 4 days (would be $250 for 5 days).

For the past year I have been watching my niece and nephew from 730-430 daily. For this my sister pays me $75 per child per week ($15/day). The children are age 2 (still in diapers) and age 3. I feel like I'm giving her a great deal, but she is treating me like I'm ripping her off. I thought full-day day care ran more in the $25-30/ per day range. Am I off my rocker for feeling like she either needs to treat me better or pay me more?:confused3

For daycare for my youngest it is $535 a month no matter how many weeks( a daycare we used to use would charge different prices per month depending on how many weeks). For my oldest who is in 1st grade- beforecare is $6/day, aftercare is $9/day and aftercare on a 1/2 day is $18.

For the past year I have been watching my niece and nephew from 730-430 daily. For this my sister pays me $75 per child per week ($15/day). The children are age 2 (still in diapers) and age 3. I feel like I'm giving her a great deal, but she is treating me like I'm ripping her off. I thought full-day day care ran more in the $25-30/ per day range. Am I off my rocker for feeling like she either needs to treat me better or pay me more?:confused3

Can you please watch my son? I pay $1006 a month!

Hi,

I live in central Vermont and I paid $130.00 a week when my youngest daughter was in preschool (2 years ago). It was kind of a hybrid center/home daycare-there were 2 main teachers in her room with education degrees and 1 younger woman who came in once the school-age children came for after school care. You are giving your sister a terrific deal!!

My friends pay about $30 per day per child to a woman that watches the kids in her home. But she's supper flexable, if you only need her 1 or 2 days a week, she's fine with that and only charges for the days she watches your kids. We may use her and would only need her 3-4 days a week depending on DH's schedule each quarter (his days off shift 4 times a year). If we decide to go that route, we'd wind up paying $90 to $120 a week for one child.

My daughter has been going to the same sitter since she was 3 months old. I have always paid $150 a week. I supply diapers and formula (at that time). I never had to bring snacks or any other food. We live in Ohio. She is there from 8:15 to 4:15

I pay $100 a week for my 4.5 year old. 7:30 to 4:30. My daughter is gone 4 hours a day for three days for school, which my sitter takes her and picks her up. I think I have an awesome set up and and awesome sitter that turned into an awesome friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter