What do you like about the Riviera?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
We haven't stayed there but we rode the skyliner over and took a look around when we were staying at Boardwalk in July.

I have to say--I just don't get the appeal. It's kind of, well, "fancy," I guess. But the lobby is small and unappealing in my eyes, and unless I missed something the pool didn't look like much. All the other resorts seem to have something special and unique about them, and I can't figure out what that is about the Riviera.

Are the rooms really nice? Was there another pool that I maybe missed? What is is that people like about the Riviera?

Did the Topolino's breakfast there while at BW last year so we could look around. I want to try some other food places there too. The building and grounds were fine, and I've seen pictures of the rooms that looked great. And the Skyliner is handy. That said, to paraphrase someone else: "it's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there". Not sure why, but it was the impression I got.

I like the rooms and the décor. Topolino's is great and the other food options are nice as well. The Skyliner is very nice and works well most of the time. Not much a pool person, so don't really care about that. I own there.

We haven't stayed there but we rode the skyliner over and took a look around when we were staying at Boardwalk in July.

I have to say--I just don't get the appeal. It's kind of, well, "fancy," I guess. But the lobby is small and unappealing in my eyes, and unless I missed something the pool didn't look like much. All the other resorts seem to have something special and unique about them, and I can't figure out what that is about the Riviera.

Are the rooms really nice? Was there another pool that I maybe missed? What is is that people like about the Riviera?

As you noted, the theming is quite subdued compared to other WDW resorts. We stayed there in a 1-bedroom in December 2019 soon after it first opened. The pros - the rooms are GORGEOUS. We've stayed in all of the deluxes and most of the DVCs and, IMHO, the Riviera villas, in terms of design, fit and finish are second only to the villas at VGF. My DH thought it was the nicest room he ever stayed in on Disney property. We stayed in the west wing, 7th floor, standard view and had a direct view of Spaceship Earth and, at that time, Illuminations. It was stunning. I found the food at Primo Piatto to be very good (though the set-up there was not very conducive to foot traffic flow). I was not impressed by Topolino's dinner or the pool (the theming was quite boring, IMHO). One plus was when the Skyliner was actually working it was INCREDIBLY convenient, especially, to get to EP. That being said, unlike the monorail resorts and the true EP resorts, I found RIV to be a bit inconvenient. I felt kine of trapped, TBH. For the price of those rooms, I far prefer to stay on the monorail or directly on the Boardwalk so we have better access to parks, restaurants and other amenities. Unless we get a spectacular discount, I don't think we would stay there again.

5 reasons

(1) The rooms are incredible. Well designed and beautiful and pristine.

(2) Transportation was great. Loved the gondolas and the hotel is pretty small so not a ton of competition for buses. Also appreciated how compact the resort is—you are always a short walk to your room, dining, pool, etc.

(3) I hear a lot of complaints about the lobby but I felt the big two story window and staircase at the end of it were stunning. And loved the water features out front on the bus stop path. I really don’t get it when people say it is boring—I thought it is stunning.

(4) The “feature pool” is not my favorite, but I did love the quiet pool. We did most of our swimming there and found it to be gorgeous and relaxing.

(5) I appreciated the authenticity of some of the Riviera theme. I grew up overseas and had vacations at my grandparents apartment in france as a kid and it took me back. The croque monsieur at the quick service, gelato stand at the pool, mosaics and wall frescos, tall palm trees, all the little aesthetic details were just so transportating.

I love it for the subtle Disney touches. The artwork of the princesses are beautiful to look at while walking back to the rooms. Speaking of the rooms, they’re gorgeous. The food at primo piatto is delicious and I try to make a trip there just to get it!

I don’t need to be in the hustle and bustle of everything so being a skyliner ride away is perfect. It gives us a relaxing feel the minute we’re there.

Currently I adore Riv. What I like most is

1) Skyliner
2) rooms are nice
3) resort is small, even when your room is near the top at the end of the hall it’s a “doable” walk after a day at the parks
4) coffee shop. Disney QS at AKL and BC have served me some of the most disgusting espresso drinks ever so I love Riviera and CSR for having their own coffee shops.

The meh:

1) pool theming is low key, could definitely be more. (At least there is no BWI clown from you know where- although I guess that’s finally met it’s end 😂 ). The kids splash pad at Riv was cute, but not having kids idk if it’s good.

2) The lobby was different, but ultimately I was ok with it. I’ve stayed in a few of the deluxes and CSR and was used to being wowed by lobbies but I’ve come around to Riviera’s cosy approach. Honestly all I want out of a lobby is access to the front desk and that is super easy at Riv, the coffee shop and gift shop also being right there are great- wish the QS was right there too 😝

Personally I’ve stayed at BC and YC and right now I prefer Riv ultimately because I find the Skyliner less of a walk than those resorts. Maybe it isn’t and it just gives my feet a break but it feels like less of a walk. However:

1) I have never been caught Skyliner-less. That absolutely happens due to weather and would definitely result in a much longer walk vs BC/YC

2) I’ve only stayed Riv during COVID and therefore had private Skyliner cabins. The nightmare of being stuck in a cabin with half a dozen strangers for 3 hours is not reality right now. Obviously the private cabins aren’t sustainable and will become a thing of the past after COVID and that alone might swing me back to preferring Friendship boat resorts.

We visited Riviera twice on our trip to WDW a couple of weeks ago. I liked how it wasn't over the top. It was classy, relaxing, calming. Very much reminded me of a classy European hotel. The food at Primo Piatto was REALLY good.

5 reasons

(1) The rooms are incredible. Well designed and beautiful and pristine.

(2) Transportation was great. Loved the gondolas and the hotel is pretty small so not a ton of competition for buses. Also appreciated how compact the resort is—you are always a short walk to your room, dining, pool, etc.

(3) I hear a lot of complaints about the lobby but I felt the big two story window and staircase at the end of it were stunning. And loved the water features out front on the bus stop path. I really don’t get it when people say it is boring—I thought it is stunning.

(4) The “feature pool” is not my favorite, but I did love the quiet pool. We did most of our swimming there and found it to be gorgeous and relaxing.

(5) I appreciated the authenticity of some of the Riviera theme. I grew up overseas and had vacations at my grandparents apartment in france as a kid and it took me back. The croque monsieur at the quick service, gelato stand at the pool, mosaics and wall frescos, tall palm trees, all the little aesthetic details were just so transportating.
I agree with all of that. Number 2 is very important right now with the limited capacity on busses. I didn't find the skyliner to be that great during morning rush hour. This was in August maybe things have changed.

We often stay at wilderness lodge , sometimes club level or at yacht club with the awesome pool and walk to Epcot. This past thanksgiving, we chose Riviera when we had to switch from the 2 separate rooms we had at WL, to a 2 bedroom villa - it was amazing !!
I loved having 3 showers and so much space, the balcony was also a plus and relaxing and pretty quiet when we sat out on it. Agreed , lobby is so so, especially compared to the Lodge’s large lobby and chairs to sit at. Skyliner was a plus

I see this resort all the time, and I'm not a fan of it. It's too tall and it lacks any real theme. It just doesn't feel "Disney". The pool is a basic blah square. It just looks like any other big box hotel; far less Disney and far more Hilton or Marriot. If you want HIlton or Marriot, stay there. Yes, it's fancy, but so is the GF. And if you look closely at the workmanship - for instance surfaces, couches and beds - they look fancy, but they're actually cheaply built; not quality workmanship like the Grand. They'll be falling apart in 5 years. It does have some perks, like the very nice restaurants and the Skyliner. But there are nice restaurants everywhere. Even better ones off property, in reality (not in Kissimmee, but plenty of nice places overhung with great patio lighting are everywhere in Fl. Skyliner is closed quite often, and it can't beat the monorail anyway. Aside from Skyliner, it does't have the proximity to parks that other resorts have. When I stay on property at Disney, I want to feel like I've entered another world. Riviera does not do that for me. To each their own I guess. But I hate to see Disney overbuilding and going in this generic direction.

I like the courtyard area. My daughter like doing gymnastics on the long green space. The food is good. Rooms are nice and spacious and we like the skyliner. I do not like the lobby and too small gift shop.

I actually love it all. It is my style of resort. I love the subtle Disney theme. Being next to the CBR reminds me of being in the Bahamas.

The quick service food is one of the best but with a quick walk, you open up more options at the food court at CBR.

I like the rooms there and the ease to and from Epcot. Even just taking a ride on the Skyliner is relaxing and I know my grandkids will enjoy that.

I am a coffee drinker so the little cafe is just an added bonus.

All around it is just a great place. I just don’t see any of the aspect like dues, point charts, or resale restrictions as an issue and they don’t take away from its appeal.

We have not stayed yet but enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at Topolinos December 2019. The meal and service were fantastic. We also took the DVC tour of the rooms. Loved them. Just beautitul. Our first stay here is this July. Also like the gondolas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter