• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

The best tip we got was to stay on site. Whenever we go back, we might end up paying a little bit more, but staying on site was so much more convenient.

I got coolmax socks for me and my kids at Target. There are more expensive brands, but these were great last July.

You can get moleskin at Walmart or Target-near the cornpads and other footcare products.

I followed the advice I found on these posts and got my crew out of bed and to the parks early. It was the best advice! We're up early anyway so it just took a little extra effort to get everyone dressed and out the door. It was all worthwhile seeing the look of joy on my little one's face when Mickey pulled up in the train to "open" the Magic Kingdom.
And then when we needed a mid-morning break, around 11 am, right when the crowds started getting intense, we had already done several rides.
Being just a little early mentally helps you kick-start the day and you don't mind going back to the room for a little break. It's too crowded anyway at lunch time and gets you charged up to go back to the parks and do it all over again!

Great tips, keep them coming. :thumbsup2

A good tip we found was not to do EMH's, we did them twice and the parks were so crowded we made a point of avoiding them and found the parks were less crowded. One day in mid August we rode test track 3 time and soarin twice. :banana:

such great ideas! I really like the index card tip. I also bought my kids sweatshirts at the Disney Outlet for the trip. I think they were $15 each. I got them out one night when they were asleep, so when they woke up the next morning they had a Disney sweatshirt to be excited to wear that night. And guess what??? They never even complained that I didn't buy them the $40 one we saw at the WDW gift shop!!:) :) :) :yay:

That's a great idea. I stocked up on Disney Apparel for the kids' Christmas gifts. I'll bring those things with so they don't ask for more...??

I also pack up their Disney toys that we have bought on past trips so they don't feel the need to buy as many toys....

The best tip I have:
Get every thing ready the night before. I always get everyones cloths layed out, pack bags packed, camara charged and packed. It makes it so much eaiser in the morning.

Great tips everyone... I am cutting and pasting these into my Disney Tips Document. Quick question with the extra park hours available; a lot of folks are saying to avoid these hours.... are they referring to the evening hours?
It is my understanding to do the morning hours and not the evening ones.
Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks so much!

I would like to know that as well... we have been told the morning hours are bad and the park is over crowed, but the nights are when you want to be there... it will be good to hear from sobody that has been there for this!

Thanks

Obviously different times of year are different but when we went mid August we did evening EMH's at Epcot and MK and both times the parks were mobbed, we left after only about an hour as the queues were horrendous! We did only 1 morning EMH at AK and the park was pretty busy after that we avoided EMH's like the plague. :rotfl2:

I LOVE this idea!!! I am going to pack the ziplocs as we speak!

Another idea is to bring those new collapsible containers - Tupperware calls them FlatOut containers. Rubbermaid sells something like it, too - I've seen them at Target.

They're better than ziplocs because it can keep food from being crushed. We used them for grapes that my DD didn't finish from her meals and cookies/desserts that we couldn't finish. And they take up very little space when they're flat.

HLDisney

As I organize some of my materials, I've compiled the tips on this thread. I thought some of you might like the materials, so I'm posting my document in the next several posts--ignore them if you've already read them. Thanks to EVERYONE who posted responses. They've been really useful to me.

DISNEY TIPS: PLANNING YOUR TRIP
• Plan, plan, plan. Plan and book well in advance if possible. You can always adjust your schedule/reservations if discount codes or special offers are released later on which cover your vacation.
• Save, save, save. Knowing you have enough money—and paying for the trip in advance—will make your trip more enjoyable.
• Be, Get, and Stay Fit! Disney can be a relaxing vacation, but it’s not for couch potatoes.
• Don’t try and cover everything in one trip. Plan to enjoy what you see and experience, not to see and do everything in a whirlwind.

General Planning:
• Know the park’s busy seasons and days; know weather conditions and pack appropriately.
• Visit the parks off-season; know the refurbishment schedule before you leave.
• Itineraries
• Plan ahead! Make at least a general plan for what you want to see each day. Know what attractions/rides are bottlenecks, and what are must-sees.
• Visit the parks early, taking advantage of EMH if possible (although some prefer to avoid EMH because of the crowds); Take a break at lunchtime/early afternoon to rest.
• Make plans for eating, including ADRs. You can always cancel them later on if you want to be spontaneous
• If possible, plan for leisurely travel days going to and leaving Disney.
• Know your plan, stick with the plan, but be flexible and allow for some spontaneity.

Itinerary & List-Making
Fill out an index card for each day. Fill it with information:
• The day's intended activities, including which park(s) you'll visit, and park hours;
• the list of must-see/must-do things for the day
• ADR locations and their confirmation numbers, times for parades, fireworks or shows,
• park hours, EMH hours if applicable,
• suggestions for places unscheduled counter-service meals and snacks,
• and any tips or suggestions found on the DIS boards. (For instance, if the boards you get a FastPass for one ride and ride another ride before the return time, include that information).
Before you go to the parks, cover each day’s card. You can laminate it before you go or wrap it with clear packing tape to waterproof it.

Make a list of what to pack/what you’ve packed and bring it with you.
Make a list of what to buy.

Recommended Guidebooks/Planners
• The DIS, of course
• AllEarsNet.com (includes menus for WDW restaurants)
• MouseSavers.com
• Passporter
• Tour Guide Mike
• Unofficial Guide

As I organize some of my materials, I've compiled the tips on this thread. I thought some of you might like the materials, so I'm posting my document in the next several posts--ignore them if you've already read them. Thanks to EVERYONE who posted responses. They've been really useful to me.

DISNEY TIPS: PREPARATION

Training for WDW, Etc.
Walking: If you’re not used to walking distances, or walking distances with children/strollers/backpacks, practice! Be sure to use the socks and shoes you’re planning on wearing. Recommended socks: CoolMax. Recommended shoes: Tevas, Birkenstocks,

Buying for WDW, Etc.
Physical Comfort:
• Body Glide: to prevent blisters and chafing (available at sports shops or sporting-goods stores)
• Cheap Water Ponchos and/or portable umbrella
• Flip Flops: for the pool, as substitute shoes to wear while it rains
• Moleskin
• Small fans
• Suncreen & Hats
• Water: Bring water bottles and/or buy a water-filtering systems (e.g. Brita Fill ‘n Go, although this is now discontinued); mix local water with Kool-aid or Crystal Lite packets for better taste; buy bottled water (from Staples) and have it shipped; you can also ask any CS for a cup of ice/water—it’s free!

Useful Extras:
• Bath Pillow or another small cushion for more comfortable seating at parades
• Bathroom Organization: A hanging, plastic shoe-holder: hangs over your bathroom door and organizes toiletries
• Disposable Cereal Bowls with cereal in them
• Mini-flashlights
• Nightlight
• Pinbacks as replacements for lost backs to Disney pins
• Pop-up Hampers: to organize dirty clothes
• Wallet Inserts: for passes, driver’s licenses, room card, some paper money
• Ziploc Bags and Collapsible Containers: available in various sizes

Good Ideas/Fun Stuff/Treats:
(I’ve marked money-saving tips with a $)
• $/Time: Autograph Books
• Earplugs for loud/scary rides
• Goody Bags: items from the Disney Store and/or dollar store. If you sneak them into your luggage, the goody bags could even be from Mickey or Tinkerbell.
• $: Buy Disney sweatshirts/t-shirts before you go.
• $: Buy cheaper Lightsticks, necklaces, sabers before your trip to Disney
• $: Buy Disney pins from ebay or the dollar store for trading

Packing for WDW, Etc.
General:
• Bring coordinated clothes that will fit different kinds of weather and can be layered.
• Pack your bags. Then, take out half your clothes because you’ll find yourself wearing the same clothes again and again.
o Split everyone’s clothes into different suitcases;
o Bring a spare set of clothes (at least underwear) in carry-on luggage
• Bring and use Ziploc Bags, in a variety of sizes:
o Luggage searches are quicker and less “icky;”
o Use large 2-gallon ones to help with packing and to coordinate your daily outfits;
o Use smaller ones for diaper bags;
o Bring bags into the parks to store wet things or to protect items from getting wet;
o Small bags can be used to carry toiletries or to store snacks
• Staying Healthy: Aspirin, Band-aids/Moleskin, Body Glide, Hand Sanitizer, Suncreen
• Passes: Make copies of the back of your passes (in case they get lost).
o If you pick up passes at your resort, ask the CM to do this for you.
o You could also take pictures of them with your digital camera.
o You could also write down the numbers of your passes.

Extra Details
• Extra: Memory Sticks/Media Cards, Batteries, Suitcase/Duffel Bag
• Fabric-softener sheets in the suitcase helps clothes smell fresh
• Laundry: Little boxes of detergent from Laundromats or dollars stores (if doing laundry)

GETTING TO WDW
• Mears or Town Car Service: research this, as many enjoy the convenience of a townc ar service
• Rental Car: Depending on length of stay, it’s near in cost to Mears, etc. Plus, rental cars give you the freedom to eat off-site, see other parts of Orlando/Central Florida, shop at grocery stores, etc.

FOR YOUR ACCOMMODATIONS
• Take advantage of the hotel-room fridges and/or use a cheap styrofoam cooler filled with ice for your hotel-room groceries:
o Grocery Shopping: go the grocery store to buy snacks and/or in-room food
o Ship food/water to your accommodations in advance
• Research and request certain buildings
• Bathroom Organization: A hanging, plastic shoe-holder: hangs over your bathroom door and organizes toiletries

DINING
General:
• Eat early or late, at off times.
• Look into DDE (AP holders or Florida residents) or DDP (resort guests) if you’ll be visiting for a few days. Check out the DISboards for suggestions.
• Enjoy a Character Meal
• Make ADRs for breakfast before the MK park opens, OR make ADRs for late-morning character breakfasts
• $: At many places, lunch is cheaper than dinner and offers the same menu

Specific:
• Cinderella’s Castle: Request a window seat
• Cindy’s Royal Table for Breakfast: Read DIS threads on how to get an ADR (also Unofficial Guide)
• Coral Reef: Request an aquarium seat
• Narcosses: eat dinner and watch fireworks
• O’hanas: eat dinner and watch fireworks

VISITING THE PARKS
Packing for the Parks, Etc.
General:
• Prepare everything the night before! Clothes laid out, bags packed, cameras charged, wake-up call, etc.
• Bags: Fanny Packs (esp. for children, those with back problems, to limit the amount you carry into the parks); knapsacks if carrying more material. Depending on the age of children, they can carry some of their stuff.
• Flip-Flops: for water rides, Kali River Rapids, and rainy days

Extra Details:
• Earplugs for young children & loud, scary attractions
• Extra Pinbacks: so bought/traded pins aren’t lost if pinback is lost
• Mini-Flashlight for dark rides (you can read maps in line, some children like to have them)
• Plastic-film containers or mini M&M tubs hold change (including pennies/quarters for pressing)

Negotiating the Parks
• Arrive early, early, early, and use FastPasses!
• Use your Polaroid or digital camera to take pictures of your children and the outfit they’re wearing on a particular day, of your car and its parking spot
• Tie a cheap scarf on your stroller to help identify it. Some folks suggest a “used” diaper—a diaper in a plastic bag that you have spilled cola on. The scarf idea may be used for the antenna of your car, as well.
• If you have cell phones, use them to be flexible in your schedule (esp. good if parties split up).

Meeting Physical Demands
• Breaks, Naps, and Rest Periods:
o Babycare Stations
o Head back to the resort in the afternoons
o Attractions for Napping: The Hall of Presidents, The Tomorrowland Transit Authority
o Bring in snacks and stop to enjoy them
• Sunscreen
• Strollers: Rent a stroller and/or bring your own; bring a cover or use a poncho to cover the stroller (cooler in sunlight, keeps it dry when raining)
• Toddlers: A toddler harness
• Walking:
o Be prepared for a lot of walking, including training if necessary;
o Bring at least one—if not two,—pairs of good walking shoes;
o Change socks once a day;
o Bring band-aids or moleskin for blisters;
o Use deodorant spray on your feet;
o Pack flip-flops; if it rains, pack away your shoes and wear flip-flops until it stops; that way your shoes stay dry
• Water: Drink lots of it
o Bring your own water into the parks,
o Refill your bottles often;
o To keep your drinks cold longer, freeze your water bottle and let it melt

General Touring Tips
• Go Early, Early, Early! Use EMH if possible.
• Two lines for an attraction? Choose left-lines instead of right.
• Use Fastpasses
• Use Priority Seating/ADRs

Parades
• Avoid seeing parades on Main Street, as there are less crowded places near Liberty Square or Frontierland

Rides and Attractions
• AK: Plan for the fact that several attractions close down early (4:00 or 500)
• Kali River Rapids: Use ponchos and flip-flops
• MK Railroad: Ride in the back of the train
• Monorail: ask to ride in the conductor’s car at the front; use the monorail if traveling with young children
• Stitch’s Great Escape: Skip entirely

Special Moments/Overlooked Opportunities
• MK: First haircut in the MK barbershop

SPECIAL EVENTS/VISITING THE REST OF THE WORLD
Parks
• Take a tour; the Segway tour is recommended

Resorts
• If possible, ask for a MK view at your resort that allows you to see the fireworks.
• If staying at POR, take the boat to DTD
• If staying at AKL, don’t park near the grassy medias, especially if it’s supposed to rain. Why? Ants!

SAVING MONEY & TIME
Planning your trip
• $: Save for your trip in advance. Some people recommend establishing a separate Disney fund.
• $: Discount codes; check out both the DIS and Mousesavers.com
• $ Staying offsite, particularly if you are willing to cook/eat meals off-site, want more space, have a large family
• $ and Time: Make goody bags for children in advance, so that you need not spend enough on fun, but expensive, souvenirs
• Time: Staying on site; Time and $: Renting DVC points
• Time: Pack fewer clothes; coordinate outfits, pick clothes that coordinate or can be layered for various weather conditions
• Time: Don’t overpack children’s toys/games

At WDW/On the Trip
• $: Use prepaid cell phones or calling cards instead of hotel phones
• Time: Buy items/souvenirs as you see them; you can return them to any store if you have the receipt
• $: Buy souvenirs at the outlet store
• $: Bring individual packages of Kool-Aid, Lemonade, Flavored-drink mix to WDW/parks
• $/Time: Iced-Coffee Drinkers: Buy the resort’s refillable mug; make/guy your coffee the night before and add cream and sugar; chill; add ice the next morning
• $: Buy a double cheeseburger and order an extra bun
• $/Time: Eat breakfast in your room; boxed cereal, Nutri-grain bars, bagels

At Your Accommodations
• Time: Pack away purchases/used items every night, so you’re not spending your last day organizing

DISNEY MAGIC AND PIXIE DUST
• Be adventurous and try new things.
o
Take a tour.
o
Visit the greater Orlando/CF area. NASA is a suggestion.
• Inform CRO (in advance) and CMs if someone in your party is celebrating something special—a birthday, anniversary, honeymoon
• Slow down and enjoy the magic; take time to notice WDW’s details.
o
Upon entering the MK, stop, take a look at the Castle. Breathe. Smile.
o
Eat a No Way Jose at Beaches & Cream
o
People watch. Talk with people, including CMs.
• Take lots of pictures and/or invest in Photopass on the first day.
o
Dressing in coordinating outfits each day for better-looking pictures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter