What can be done to make people excited for exploring space again?

AnimationFan94

Earning My Ears
It seems like people are not fascinated with space anymore.

Should we become fascinated with space again? Would it inspire us to fight for a better future?

Last edited:
In the 60’s there was a clear cut goal and people really got into the technological aspect of it. I think those two things would bring some of the spark back. People got too blasé when the shuttle was going up and back all the time. We need that sense of adventure again.

It's not that people wouldn't be interested, it's that the space programs need to do something interesting! We haven't been to the moon in a long time. We haven't made significant steps toward Mars. The Space Shuttle, while a great program, far outlived it's planned operational lifespan, and just launching all the time to orbit and back became routine. We need to really push the limits!

Cost and danger are the negatives. Learning something about our Universe would be cool, but cool enough to justify the cost and danger?
I wonder if we hadn't gone to the moon if we would have discovered a cure for cancer with that money, or found ways to live comfortably without damaging the planet? Or provided for the homeless, or provided free health care for every American?

Cost and danger are the negatives. Learning something about our Universe would be cool, but cool enough to justify the cost and danger?
I wonder if we hadn't gone to the moon if we would have discovered a cure for cancer with that money, or found ways to live comfortably without damaging the planet? Or provided for the homeless, or provided free health care for every American?

But the cure for cancer may indeed lie on the moon, or Mars, or out there somewhere, along with the solutions to many problems. We'll never know unless we try to find out. We used to want to do that.

I'm sad that so many of you think that we aren't doing amazing space exploration right now. We don't need "flags and footprints" to explore and learn incredible amounts.

Our entire understanding of Mars has changed in the last decade due to several phenomenally successful rovers

We've recently discovered that the universe's expansion is accelerating, which makes NO sense at all. None. But seems to be the case. How awesome is it that we've discovered something that doesn't answer our questions, but instead just created a whole ton more.

We've landed on a comet for the first time!

We've imaged objects from almost 13 billion years ago. And also improved our understanding of how old the universe is (about 13.7 billion, for those that are curious...)

And these are just a handful of things I thought of off the top of my head.

I'd say that's all a pretty good return on investment for less than 1% of the federal budget...

Lots of countries need to do their part in the $$$$$$$$$$. USA spends the most in space. Some countries do a good job of spending Russia, China, India. But most countries are not doing their part. Maybe the other countries are smart.

Last edited:
I'm sad that so many of you think that we aren't doing amazing space exploration right now. We don't need "flags and footprints" to explore and learn incredible amounts.

Our entire understanding of Mars has changed in the last decade due to several phenomenally successful rovers

We've recently discovered that the universe's expansion is accelerating, which makes NO sense at all. None. But seems to be the case. How awesome is it that we've discovered something that doesn't answer our questions, but instead just created a whole ton more.

We've landed on a comet for the first time!

We've imaged objects from almost 13 billion years ago. And also improved our understanding of how old the universe is (about 13.7 billion, for those that are curious...)

And these are just a handful of things I thought of off the top of my head.

I'd say that's all a pretty good return on investment for less than 1% of the federal budget...

I agree with you, but we could be doing a lot more. Human space travel has slowed considerably and that is what people really get excited about. They should invest even more into it.

Send a human to mars. That will get people excited. Normies don't care about satellites to Pluto or Circe or the James Webb telescope (which has been delayed twice). The space shuttle and IIS were old hat by the time the shuttle was retired.

Don't get me wrong. All that stuff is amazing and important. But Joe Sixpack doesn't care. That's what you are asking about, right OP? How do we get Joe Sixpack excited about space?

We need something to get excited about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter