What Are You Reading Right Now? Part II (Incomplete book list in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally finished The Chick Palace. It took me months. I just didn't love it, but I was determined to finish it.

I started True Colors by Kristin Hannah. I'm only a few pages in.

I've fallen in love with The Hunger Games. Peeta and Katniss are so perfect together. I think one of the first things I fell in love with is just the name, Peeta because it makes me think of Peter Pan. I always imagine the name sounding how Wendy Darling would say 'Peter' in the movie with her cute accent.

I'm so happy I gave it a try. I've gotten through the first two books so quickly! I don't want it to end.:goodvibes

Good to know! I bought the series for my son to read for AR in school, but he said he could not get into them.

I just started book 1 last night. Right now I am at the first training session.

I know "I" can get into the book! I want to read it before the movie comes out.

I'm in the middle of Bonnie by Iris Johansen. I wonder if this is the last Eve Duncan book?

I normally don't post very often, but I lurk and read the boards ALL day lol. I love to read so I figured I'd join this thread.

I'm at the beginning of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. So far so good :goodvibes

I am reading a 99 cent Kindle book named "Mill River Recluse." So far it's the best 99 cents I have ever spent! It's about an elderly woman who is a reclusive millionaire. I won't give away any of the plot but I am finding it fascinating...it's a quick easy read.

Thank you for suggesting this book! I just bought it for my Nook for 99 cents :)

I finished The Help yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It lived up to its hype. :thumbsup2

Now I'm getting ready to read Divine Evil by Nora Roberts. Its ficnion about the occult in Emmitsburg, MD. I decided to give it a try since I'm not far from there. All of the books I've read lately have been excellent. (The Hunger Games trilogy, The Help, The Book Thief, Unbroken). I hope this one isn't a huge let down after all of those greats.

I've been on a roll lately. Finished Shanghai Girls, Solomon's Oak, and Pope Joan in the past week.

Really liked Shanghai Girls. Solomon's Oak was OK. My mom had suggested Pope Joan. I got about 1/3 through and realized I had read it before and really liked it, so I continued.

Next up is The Kommandant's Girl.

I normally don't post very often, but I lurk and read the boards ALL day lol. I love to read so I figured I'd join this thread.

I'm at the beginning of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. So far so good :goodvibes

Welcome! :)

I finished, The Look of Love. It was pretty good. I had an idea of who the perp was, but still an enjoyable read.

I'm starting, A Catered St. Patrick's Day, by Isis Crawford. It's a mystery with recipes. :)

I'm reading a book about the Hammersteins, as in Rodgers & Hammerstein (Sound of Music, Cinderella musical, etc) I randomly came across it at the library the other day and grabbed it since I'm a musical freak :) I have been reading a lot of non fiction lately which is really strange for me, but I'm liking it so far!

ooooooooh! That sounds so cool! I love Rodgers and Hammerstein.

I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle. Almost done! :cloud9:

Then it's on to Angels and Demons :littleangel:

I finished The Night Circus last week, and LOVED it!

I finished Sarah's Key last night and it was decent. I liked the first half of the book better, and found myself wishing the author would have kept the same format going for the entire book. The second half was okay, but not nearly as compelling as the first.

I started reading Anne Rice for the first time ever today...maybe I should have read it in my obligatory middle school goth phase, but instead I was drawn to her novels due to falling in love with the city of New Orleans after my recent trip there-I heard that her books really capture the magic of the city. I am starting with Interview With The Vampire. I am about 70 pages in and am enjoying it so far, although I'm finding it a bit slow-going. Any Anne Rice fans on here have any input? I'm not sure if I will be compelled to finish all books in the Vampire Chronicles, but we'll see!

P.S. Random...but...I HATE mass-market paperbacks! So annoying to read. First world problems, I know, but I really hate how these books feel in my hands and the way the paper and ink look.

I read almost all of Anne Rice's novels until about the last ten years or so. The vampire chronicles do drag a bit, but wow they are addictive. Try her Mayfair witch series. As much as I loved the vampire chronicles, she didn't seem as hung up on religion and so forth with the Mayfair series. But she is definitely an author that once you get used to her pace and style, you get sucked right in. :flower3:

I just finished Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder." I loved it! She wrote one of my all time favorite books, "Bel Canto," and I was hoping that this would be as good. It's not, but it's still awfully good! I would definitely recommend it!

After that, I read "Letters to Juliet." A non-fiction account of the phenomenon that takes place around Juliet's "tomb". People have been writing to her for a very long time, and there are a bunch of people who have acted as her secretary since right after World War 2. Very fascinating!

Now I'm reading "The Romanov Prophecy." It's a thriller along the lines of the DaVinci Code. I'm only about 40 pages in, but I'm really liking it.

On my Nook I'm reading "The Age of Innocence." I should have read it years ago, but never did. It's ok, but not really my cup of tea, so it's taking me a lot longer to finish it than it really should.

Thank you to everyone who recommended Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim. I am really enjoying it! Next up for me is The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn.

Half Way Home by Hugh Howey.

It's about a group of people sent to colonize a faraway planet. They're grown by robots on the journey there. They're grown in vats and are supposed to be removed when they reach age 30, after receiving all of their training for whatever their specialty will be.
Something happens and the mission is aborted when they're only 15 and don't have all of their training. Out of 500, less than 60 survive and they have no exposure to other humans and no context for what they learned before they were "born" and thrust out onto an alien planet to survive.

It's not a long book and I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but it's a fascinating story and very well written.

I finished Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice the other day. I mentioned in my last post that I found it a bit slow-going at first, but after that post I actually finished the book in 2 sittings. It sucked me right in after that and I bought the next 2 books in the series. A friend of mine told me that the first 3 books were the best ones in that series and warned me I might not enjoy the books after those. We'll see how I feel once I get through the first 3.

I'm now reading Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter on recommendation from my cousin...only about 50 pages in so far. Apparently I am giving in to all this vampire garbage this month LOL. I didn't really dig Twilight despite all the hype...

I have 4 more books waiting to be read after I finish this one and then I want to read The Hunger Games, lots of people on here seem to have been enjoying it and I saw some people on facebook post about it too so I want to check it out. I had never heard of it before.

Thank you to everyone who recommended Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim. I am really enjoying it! Next up for me is The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn.

Isn't that such a great book! I recommend it to everyone. Might even re-read it myself.

I finally broke down and started the Hunger Games series. Thought the first one started off slow but then I couldn't put it down. Read Catching Fire and again, I thought it started off slow but once it got going it was so good, and again hard to put down. Now I'm on Mockingjay and I could read it all the way through in one sitting if I could.

Not sure what's next yet.

I finished Mill River Recluse which I was so excited about. It was a good read, but could have been so much more! I really wished for additional details about the characters and their lives.

Now I am reading the Prayers of Agnes Sparrow about a housebound, morbidly obese woman whose prayers for others appear to be answered. She receives visitors and prays for them and miracles occur. Her spinster sister is her caretaker. It's not a religious book at all, so far, but more about small town life and the spinster sister is actually the main character. Again, it's a good read but I really wish the author would dig deeper.

Isn't that such a great book! I recommend it to everyone. Might even re-read it myself.

I finally broke down and started the Hunger Games series. Thought the first one started off slow but then I couldn't put it down. Read Catching Fire and again, I thought it started off slow but once it got going it was so good, and again hard to put down. Now I'm on Mockingjay and I could read it all the way through in one sitting if I could.

Not sure what's next yet.

I agree about the Hunger Games series. I've already got plans to see the movie, though I'm a little nervous about how it'll translate. I borrowed the books from the library, but I think I'm going to buy them for my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter