What’s going on the first two weeks of December??

Why the first 2 or 3 weeks after Thanksgiving that Disney will be very busy this year:
- No AP blockout dates
- Low DVC points cost
- Near perfect weather
- It's the Holiday season (who doesn't want to be at Disney during the Holidays?)
- Years of people being told it's low crowds (some blogs and sites still say that)
- Pent up travel demand
- 50th Anniversary celebration still going on

We're still thinking about upgrading to a Deluxe for our stay in December. I noticed the last week or two availability has gone way up. Just curious if Disney finally hired more Staff at Hotels, or are people canceling trips? Any thoughts on the current status of Park Stays/ or hotel bookings? Maybe Disney is finally releasing some inventory?

We're still thinking about upgrading to a Deluxe for our stay in December. I noticed the last week or two availability has gone way up. Just curious if Disney finally hired more Staff at Hotels, or are people canceling trips? Any thoughts on the current status of Park Stays/ or hotel bookings? Maybe Disney is finally releasing some inventory?

I've also seen a lot more availability open up in early December. I would guess people are cancelling trips because there's no discount. The deluxe rooms I see are usually $700+ a night. There is a "late Fall discounts" thread on the Resort board and many of us there have been wondering why early December was so booked to begin with. I personally can't see why those two weeks of December would be less crowded than the next two weeks which do have a discount being offered. I wish we knew!

Yea. Availability is following a pattern I’ve been studying since posting this thread. Around 45 days out inventory starts opening and by 30 days out there’s usually plenty of inventory. I’ve been reading through lots of blogs every day. Consensus is saying that they’re still short staffed to some degree, especially in the hotel staff department. Recently they were offering hiring bonuses to several departments including housekeeping. This points to some desperation to get these people hired. Additionally, Disney recently confirmed that they are not allowing one night stays until at least Dec 5th. The prevailing thought is that one nights are too hard for turn over on the short staffed housekeeping. Finally, All Star Sports remaining closed indefinitely is another indication. Disney claims it’s to update the resort. However, if they were truly sold out and needed the inventory they wouldn’t pass on the opportunity to book more rooms. They would keep the resort open and update sections at a time. They did this in 2019 with Movies. So it hints that supply isn’t actually in short supply rather staffing is. Finally, there was apparently a lot of cancellations during Florida’s recent surge in cases. Even though that has passed the damage is done so it has created less crowds. To what degree though is unknown. I think that Disney is holding inventory closer to 30 days out in order to have a better understanding of what they’re gonna need for staffing. You can usually plan schedules for staff 30 and 45 days out but 6 months…in this new post closure environment with short staffed departments…not so much.

Even tho pop warner officially moved to U, could be many folks still booking at WDW :confused3

Likely just pent up travel demand, people who
Don’t want to visit on 10/1 but, still want to enjoy holiday vibe
Wonder if PW will stay at Universal from now on? Disney may have priced them out?

Yea. Availability is following a pattern I’ve been studying since posting this thread. Around 45 days out inventory starts opening and by 30 days out there’s usually plenty of inventory. I’ve been reading through lots of blogs every day. Consensus is saying that they’re still short staffed to some degree, especially in the hotel staff department. Recently they were offering hiring bonuses to several departments including housekeeping. This points to some desperation to get these people hired. Additionally, Disney recently confirmed that they are not allowing one night stays until at least Dec 5th. The prevailing thought is that one nights are too hard for turn over on the short staffed housekeeping. Finally, All Star Sports remaining closed indefinitely is another indication. Disney claims it’s to update the resort. However, if they were truly sold out and needed the inventory they wouldn’t pass on the opportunity to book more rooms. They would keep the resort open and update sections at a time. They did this in 2019 with Movies. So it hints that supply isn’t actually in short supply rather staffing is. Finally, there was apparently a lot of cancellations during Florida’s recent surge in cases. Even though that has passed the damage is done so it has created less crowds. To what degree though is unknown. I think that Disney is holding inventory closer to 30 days out in order to have a better understanding of what they’re gonna need for staffing. You can usually plan schedules for staff 30 and 45 days out but 6 months…in this new post closure environment with short staffed departments…not so much.

Good Analysis, thanks. I've only been tracking on this board, so my point of view is limited. I would love to upgrade to a Deluxe since we haven't been to Disneyworld since 2013. Also, don't foresee returning anytime after this trip ends due to cost. However, we have POR reservations. We like that hotel, so if we don't upgrade, it's no big deal.

For many years, the first week of December has been the highest DVC demand week of the year. The second week of December has been the third highest (close behind number two, Christmas week). The problem renters from DVC can have at that time is the lack of inventory lasting any significant time past the 11-month booking window. For many rooms, an owner of a DVC Resort has a risk of not being able to get a reservation at his home resort even if he goes online right at 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out to book, when booking opens for an arrival date, because the rooms fill right at 8 a.m., leaving many without a reservation. Many owners will not even try to enter into rental agreements for many classes of rooms for that time of year because of the risk of not being able to reserve the needed room.

I have also heard about the restrictions around single night stays, as well as holding back inventory due to staffing.

Many DVC owners have been stuck holding on to extra points, especially considering last year's closures. We were EXTREMELY lucky that we had a January 2020 vacation where we used most of our banked and current points, so this year we don't have to worry about them expiring.

11 month booking wasn't too bad for us this year, but once the vaccines were announced things booked up very quickly.

First week of December is usually when we go. Low crowds and much cheaper - or it was before this year anyways. Plus, the weather is great. Also, this is the week that cheerleader competitions are at Disney World. Thousands of them. Just FYI. Again, low crowds normally the first week of December. Went on Space Mountain three times in a row and only waited 5 minutes. Didn't even wait for Everest - walked on and were the only one on it both times we rode it. Love that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter