• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s going on the first two weeks of December??

Jdmoody

Earning My Ears
Ok. So I’m noticing that the first two weeks of December there is virtually no rooms available on property, yet the third week of December has rooms available at nearly every resort. Doesn’t it seem weird that there appears to be much more people going the first two weeks than the week before Christmas??

Ok. So I’m noticing that the first two weeks of December there is virtually no rooms available on property, yet the third week of December has rooms available at nearly every resort. Doesn’t it seem weird that there appears to be much more people going the first two weeks than the week before Christmas??
I've learned that traveling too close to Christmas makes for an extremely stressful holiday upon return. So early December works well for us but the week just before Christmas is a no go for us.

Reactions: fbb
I'm also planning an early December trip and also noticed the lack of hotels. We booked off property (which honestly will probably be cheaper even if a value resort room opens up). We are purposely picking that time to avoid the Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds, thinking it will be a slow time. I hope we aren't wrong and that it's not too busy!

We’ve gone in October (very busy) and January (not busy at all). This year we’re planning a trip one of the first 3 weeks of December or maybe the full week before thanksgiving. We are going to stay off property like we always do, but I was using the property availability as a glimpse to how busy it will be. We are shooting for lowest crowds in this time frame (granted none will be low of course). I just found it interesting that the Disney blogs often point to the first week of December as a bit of a dip in crowds and the second week too (since Pop Warner moved). Asking the experienced ones here... Which of the 4 weeks I described above would you book?? I’m realizing with this abnormal last two years thanks to Covid that the blogs may be off about that “dip” the first week of December…

We are going then and while the hotels appear full, the park reservations are not even close. Thinking like above, DVC is taking up most of the DVC so it puts others in the hotels. And All Star Sports will not be open yet which is 1900 rooms.

Last edited:

We are going then and while the hotels appear full, the park reservations are not even close. Thinking like above, DVC is taking up most of the DVC so it puts others in the hotels. And All Star Sports will not be open yet.
I would think the park reservations would stay pretty open unless it hit Christmas Day levels, which I don’t forsee happening. What do you mean DVC is taking up most of DVC? Do you mean that actual owners are taking up DVC pushing those that would normally rent DVC over to the hotels? If that is what you’re referring to wouldn’t that mean that now both DVC and the resorts are full which could mean insane crowds?

I would think the park reservations would stay pretty open unless it hit Christmas Day levels, which I don’t forsee happening. What do you mean DVC is taking up most of DVC? Do you mean that actual owners are taking up DVC pushing those that would normally rent DVC over to the hotels? If that is what you’re referring to wouldn’t that mean that now both DVC and the resorts are full which could mean insane crowds?
Like the previous poster said, that is one of the busiest times for DVC. Hence those of us that rent, needed to move over to normal Hotel rooms (we did rent the first 3 nights). As far as insane crowds, that is more dependent on offsite. Also, covid cancellations haven't hit that time frame yet. Will be interesting to see the same timeframe in a about a month to see if there still is no availability.

Like the previous poster said, that is one of the busiest times for DVC. Hence those of us that rent, needed to move over to normal Hotel rooms (we did rent the first 3 nights). As far as insane crowds, that is more dependent on offsite. Also, covid cancellations haven't hit that time frame yet. Will be interesting to see the same timeframe in a about a month to see if there still is no availability.
I see what you’re saying now. I had initially explored DVC rental for this trip myself, but ultimately decided not to because of the low to no inventory. It seems there’s an ongoing issue with DVC points available and not enough rooms for the DVC members to use the points. This was apparently exasperated by the Disney closure last year from what I’ve read. Right now we tentatively have a room booked off property for 2-12 December. So it’s really the second week that we’re mostly in the parks. However, as I’ve previously mentioned we’re still waffling between the full week before Thanksgiving and any of the first 3 weeks of December. I just don’t want to get there after rescheduling this trip last December just for it to be miserable because there’s huge crowds (more than normal).

First week of December is one of the most popular travel times at WDW (particularly amongst DVC owners). It's when we will be there.
Interesting. I didn’t know this was a busy time for DVC owners. I’m guessing the reason is to be able to use up their points before the end of the year? Are you a DVC owner?

Interesting. I didn’t know this was a busy time for DVC owners. I’m guessing the reason is to be able to use up their points before the end of the year? Are you a DVC owner?
It's because the points required per night are relatively low, the holiday decorations are up and the weather tends to be mild. DVC owners' points expire at different times during the year depending on what use year their contract is. The only members who are close to losing their points would be those who have February use years, and 3ven those members have until Jan. 30 to use their points.

AP blockout dates start Dec 15 I think. Prices rise around the same time compared to the first 2 weeks, etc. May be regular park tickets rise some around and after Dec 15 also.

I see what you’re saying now. I had initially explored DVC rental for this trip myself, but ultimately decided not to because of the low to no inventory. It seems there’s an ongoing issue with DVC points available and not enough rooms for the DVC members to use the points. This was apparently exasperated by the Disney closure last year from what I’ve read. Right now we tentatively have a room booked off property for 2-12 December. So it’s really the second week that we’re mostly in the parks. However, as I’ve previously mentioned we’re still waffling between the full week before Thanksgiving and any of the first 3 weeks of December. I just don’t want to get there after rescheduling this trip last December just for it to be miserable because there’s huge crowds (more than normal).
I don't know how many Christmas decorations will be up by week before Thanksgiving. Magic Kingdom will be up, not resorts, and don't know about other parks. I think Dec 2-12 will be great. It won't be huge crowds, but may be more than normal. Pent-up demand, people really want to get back to the Disney that was before covid, myself included. But no one knows yet. I think you picked and booked a good time to go.

I am a DVC owner. It's a busy time for owners that week because the points are reasonably low, Christmas decor is up, weather is great and crowds are manageable. Points don't expire by the end of the year...they expire at the end of each owner's contractual use-year (ours is August). Every contract is different.

Thanks to all for the DVC points clarification. To get back to the root of what started my thread, I’m just surprised that both the first and second weeks have no resort availability right now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this when booking any of our other trips. I would have thought that situation only happens on Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Year’s, and spring break. Unpopular opinion but I completely plan on buying Genie+ and all individual lightning lanes to help manage waiting in line with the 4 and 2 year old. However…RIP fastpass…

Even tho pop warner officially moved to U, could be many folks still booking at WDW :confused3

Likely just pent up travel demand, people who
Don’t want to visit on 10/1 but, still want to enjoy holiday vibe

Lower DVC points and no AP blackout dates. After the first 2 or so weeks, gold pass or whatever the new pass is called will be blacked out and the # of points per night will increase. DVC has been pretty full for a while for those dates-a lot of the resorts booked right up at 11 months.

We have reservations at POR 6-12 December. We thought about upgrading to Deluxe, but have noticed there is no availability. We are also curious what's going on. We picked those weeks of December because most crowd calendars show crowd levels as manageable. However the COVID thing has probably messed up those predictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter