Welcome to Disney Alaska! ~ Our first Disney endurance race (race day!)

photos 'borrowed' from Disney until I break down and actually order some.

This was before the official start. We were with Andrew (my friends son) and Kelly (a family friend of theirs)

before.jpg

Aubre at her start area

aub.jpg

One of the 'official photo areas' along the way

me.jpg

dale.jpg

Aubre at that same point (notice it's a LOT darker, lol).

aa2.jpg

Aubre crossing the finish line. You cannot tell how much pain she truly was in.

aafinish1.jpg

Just a little excited to cross the finish line

us2.jpg

usfinish.jpg

I can't believe how cold and rainy it looks. It looks like a cold rainy November day in Ohio. Not what I expect from my beloved Disney World!:laughing:
You guys are amazing! Great job!

Kelly, I never in my life expected that weather at Disney. But, unfortunately, I have a bad reputation for distance races. It has been cold and rainy for every single one!!! Hoping to break that this year.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Great job! Races at Disney are like no other. You definitely have to take a camera and take pictures next year. If you haven't yet check out my trip report which has tons of pictures. I saw the characters as a great excuse to take a little break:rolleyes1 The weather that day was something else. I hope I never again experience race weather like that:eek:

Jenny, I am working on catching up on your TR. I LOVE all your photos and more reason why I have to have a camera next time. I loved your photos of 'leaving' your hubbys jacket, lol.

After Dale and I got our Tyvek blankets and medals we followed the masses of people. I stepped aside a short distance ahead to check my cell to find out where Aubre was since she had to have finished about an hour before us. Got a text message from Aubre that read…

“When u guys finish I’m in the med tent for knee and can’t stop shivering”

We were right beside the medical area at that time. So we go up and mention that our daughter was inside (or at least we thought she was). Someone went in and checked and came back out and said that yes, indeed, she was inside, but only ONE of us could go in. Mind you, I understand this, as there was not a lot of room inside the tent. I went in first as hubby walked around to try to keep warm (it was STILL raining).

There were cots set up all over and various areas of treatment. Aubre was being treated for hypothermia and bad knee pain. She was so cold (more so than most normal people after the race). They kept loading her up with heated blankets and extra layers.

While I was in with Aubre, Dale found out that he couldn’t leave the immediate area where the med tent was because they wouldn’t let him back into that area (not sure what that was about).

After a while, I went outside so Dale could come in with Aubre. It was so very cold out now. The adrenaline rush from the race was over and I was feeling every rain drop and the cold temps. While waiting outside, I watched a group of three men go in ‘looking for their friend’!!! ALL THREE OF THEM! I’m standing out here freezing while my daughter is in there and only ONE of us could be with her.

Dale and I switched again. As they got Aubre stabilized they got her up and walking around. A short time later (an hour or so later) the ‘discharged’ her. What I did not realize at that moment was this was only the beginning of a very LONG journey back to our room.

After leaving the medical tent, we had to go retrieve our gear bags. The one good thing about it being a little later was there was no real line at that time and it was easy for them to find our bags. The only bad thing was that there was only ONE person with the cutter tool to remove the strap that tied your bag closed! This was wrong!!!

Following getting our bag, we head to the snack tent (this may have occurred before the gear tent, my mind is foggy now) to get something to eat. Mind you we ate breakfast around 3am and it was now 10:00 or later and we had burned more than 1000 calories. Got a couple snacks and could not believe what they had to drink, COLD COKE!!!! It’s freezing out there, you think they could have had something warmer, lol.

As soon as we got our snack it was time to figure out how to get back to our resort. There were people just milling about and no real idea ‘where’ we were supposed to go. We then realize there is this very LONG line of people. We look around, thinking, this cannot possibly be where we are supposed to be! OH NO, IT IS! Oh my goodness, you just sent my freezing daughter out to stand in the cold for what seemed like forever to wait for a bus to our resort.

While we waited in this bus, I then found out that Aubre had also been sick throughout the race. She must of picked up a stomach bug (as I have heard many others did while at Disney then). My poor kid. I felt so bad for her.

The bus line moved forward and we looped back and forth across the entire area waiting to get to the front. ONE LINE for all the different busses, something just seemed wrong with this. As we finally get towards the ‘gate’ which was close to the busses, we find a gentleman asking which resort and directing you to that bus. The really LONG line was for the value resorts! Never have I been so happy to have DVC than at that moment. We were instructed to keep walking (around the back of the tents) to more busses. We finally see the sign for BW (and other Epcot resorts) and there is ONE person in line!!! Woohoo!!!

In no time our bus was there and we were finally out of the cold air and sitting in some nice warm bus!

Up next, we arrive back to the BWV and find the showers are NOT HOT!!!

Oh no! Poor Aubre! It made me cold just reading about it. Poor thing!
The long bus lines are about the only thing that bothers me at WDW. I am glad the one for your resort was short. It would have been nice if they would have given you a ride back to your resort since Aubre was sick.
I hope things got better after that. :)

Oh poor Aubre! She sounds like one tough cookie though because she finished the race. That post race was not fun. It was just so cold! We were lucky enough to be on the monorail, but it was still a cold walk back to the monorail. I really hope they do something different next year. (Well mostly I hope it's not so cold.)

great report and pics.

congrats on the doing the marathon. that weather is crazy. the new room is great.

looking forward to reading more.

Congrats on finishing the marathon.... your poor daughter, I feel so bad for her. What a trooper though.

I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

Nothing like crazy weather to add further challenge tot he race, eh? Congrats on making it all the way.

I just stumbled upon your TR and being intrigued by your trip title , came over to read.

CONGRATS on finishing the Disney half-marathon (?it was 1/2 wasn't it?) I am a beginning runner, and would love to run the disney marathon next January. How long did you train for this, and had you already run other 1/2s ?Sorry for so many questions. :)

Oh no! Poor Aubre! It made me cold just reading about it. Poor thing!
The long bus lines are about the only thing that bothers me at WDW. I am glad the one for your resort was short. It would have been nice if they would have given you a ride back to your resort since Aubre was sick.
I hope things got better after that. :)

Kelly, as bad as it sounds, it must not of been too bad, cause we are going to do it again next year!

Oh poor Aubre! She sounds like one tough cookie though because she finished the race. That post race was not fun. It was just so cold! We were lucky enough to be on the monorail, but it was still a cold walk back to the monorail. I really hope they do something different next year. (Well mostly I hope it's not so cold.)

Jenny, she is a strong young lady! I just hope next year is a bit warmer. Honestly the cold was bad, but the sleet made it so much harder.

great report and pics.

congrats on the doing the marathon. that weather is crazy. the new room is great.

looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for coming by Scott. Now I need to work on finishing this up, lol.

Congrats on finishing the marathon.... your poor daughter, I feel so bad for her. What a trooper though.

I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

Thanks Deanna and congratulations on your with your newest addition.

Nothing like crazy weather to add further challenge tot he race, eh? Congrats on making it all the way.

As cold and yucky as it was, Disney made it not that bad but keeping you entertained along the route!

I just stumbled upon your TR and being intrigued by your trip title , came over to read.

CONGRATS on finishing the Disney half-marathon (?it was 1/2 wasn't it?) I am a beginning runner, and would love to run the disney marathon next January. How long did you train for this, and had you already run other 1/2s ?Sorry for so many questions. :)

Welcome along Michelle. I got busy with life and let this lapse so your note jolted me 'awake'. It was the 1/2 that we did. I had done the Delaware 1/2 marathon in May. After that I had trained to do the Breast Cancer 3 day (60 miles over three days), so running was put on hold. When I started back up, I just don't have the speed (not that I ever really had speed) and spent more time walking than I would have liked. I followed one of the many training programs, about three months of training (two shorter runs and one long run a week) increasing that long run along the way.

Disney is the best place to run! They really do make it fun.

When I left off we had just arrived back at the BWV. We were cold and tired. Got up to our room and cranked the heat. Who in their right mind would think we needed to have the heat on, let alone turned up when we were at Disney! That is just WRONG!!!

After laying around, getting warmed up, it was time to finally get moving. I went in to get my shower. Ah, just what I needed, to relax under the warm water. I got in the shower and oh my goodness, it was NOT hot! I had goose bumps! Initially I thought it was because I was just so cold, but after standing in there for a while, I realized it wasn’t me. There wasn’t much hot water. I had a cool shower (I only say cool, but honestly, it was FREEZING cold the next day!).

Hubby and I got ready to go out while Aubre stayed in bed. She was feeling really bad and was in a LOT of pain.

Being I took absolutely no photos, I realty do not recall what we did for the afternoon (that’s really showing my age)! If hubby comes along and remembers, I’ll fill it in.

We were having dinner with a great group of Dis-ers at the Beach Club. My running partner here at home was hosing a lasagna dinner for more than 60 people! She couldn’t run this year, she was on crutches the entire time. This was our first trip to the Beach Club and it was so nice. We got to meet up with a lot of friends we’d made last year at my running partners vow renewal (at Disney, of course!) We had a great dinner and wonderful fellowship. A nice relaxing time. I borrowed a photo from one of the many photographers at the dinner.

20639_252654471758_613256758_3763484_8052156_n.jpg

After dinner I had to make a D&D (Dunkin Donuts) run. I had run out of coffee. I never expected to make all the coffee I had brought, but it was so cold, I was drinking coffee at times when I normally would not have. We took a platter to Aubre so she could have to dinner. She wanted to get out with us and go for a ride.

Now, recall when we set out to find Target earlier in this TR; well, same thing, lol. I think it was lack of communication between Aubre and I. We had debated going to Target and just buying D&D coffee there or going to D&D. So it’s Saturday evening and we end up out on Route 535 (I think) which is bumper to bumper!!! BUT, we made it to D&D and I got my coffee, so I was happy.

We then headed back to our villa as we had an even earlier wake up call!

WHY WERE WE GETTING UP AT 2AM THE MORNING AFTER THE ½ MARATHON??!!! Because we were crazy enough to sign up to volunteer for Red Water Stop 2 for the Full Marathon!

I remember turning the heat up too. In fact Liz beat me back to the room before me. She turned the heat up. Then I came back and turned it up again. It was toasty in there:rotfl: My shower wasn't warm enough either. I guess there were just too many freezing people using up all the hot water at Disney World on both Saturday and Sunday! Can't wait to hear about the volunteering!

Ok, a little teaser here. Patty and i got up early (2AM or so):scared1: and left aching Aubre:sick: in the room. We drove over to Wide World of Sports to sign in for our Volunteer duties. We were given our Volunteer jacket and a bagged lunch (breakfast, snack or whatever):confused3. Oh, by the way, it was STILL cold!!:eek: We got on a warm bus and were transported to the Volunteer area at the race. As a group (the Wish team) we were some what instructed on where to go and what to do:confused3. Thank goodness we weren't to far from the currently clean port-a-poties. We also were grouped with outsiders (non Wish team people). Our first objective was to set up the tables and start mixing the Gatorade and pour some water and gatorade in cups at specific tables. All under the instruction of a female reincarnated Nepolian:headache:. Finally we heard and saw the starting fireworks. Horaay soon we would have some activity. I'm freezing. So was the water in the cups. :eek: Well what before my wondering eyes should appear?:idea: Our side of the water stop was not receiving any runners. (too be continued)

Well, the reason OUR side was not receiving any runners was that we had the water stop set up on both sides of the 6 or 8 or 10 lane road. I don't remember how many lanes there were, but it doesn't matter. Actually it does matter because what i have to say (write) would not make sense with 2 or even 4 lanes. Any how, needless to say (write) there were a plethora (many) of lanes. But, there was also kind of a center DO NOT CROSS lane divider thingy. Not raised but an invisible line in the macadam (street). But, that didn't matter because like children we adults don't pay attention to rules sometimes. The deterrent were the barricades at the beginning of the water stop. They were not ready to allow the runners to run down our side or the street. Were we not prepared? Of course we were. Was our water and gatorade not good enough? The finest in all Orlando. And coldest. No, they didn't think there were enough runners yet to open all the running lanes. :confused3

Ok the barricades are down and here come the runners. Wow they look thirsty . Here have a cup of----- ice? Slushy? Yup. You read it here first. There was no water. It was now either a slushie or ice. Remember it was flippin freezin out. So what do you do in this situation? You have fun with it. "Get the coldest water in Orlando right here folks". "Get your slushies". "Ice. i got your ice here". "Ice ice baby". For the discouraged i told them it was Vodka or rum. 99.9999% of the runners enjoyed our humor. Hey it's Disney. Now when we were finally done with all the runners and the Marathon sweepers (not the road cleaners) passed us we were now ready to clean up. Guess how you do that.

So, how do you clean up after manning a water stop:confused3? First you have already broken down any empty boxes and saved unused cups, water and drink mix. Then you dump, (yes dump)the tables of left over drinks. :scared1: What else are you going to do with the stuff? Actually it was kind of fun heaving a table loaded with drinks over onto the ground. Then we folded up and stacked the tables. What about the cups that were dumped onto the ground? A street sweeper comes along and what else, sweeps them all up. After the break down of the water drop we started our "Dead Man" march back to the volunteer tent to catch a bus ride back to the Wide World of Sports. We were dead tired, hungry and cold. Some people were a little wet. The adrenalin rush was slipping away from us. So we load ourselves onto the bus and ride back to WW of S get our free park pass for a job well done :cool1: I think we only volunteered for the cool jacket and park pass.:thumbsup2 So once we get to WW of S we drag our sorry butts off the bus and look into the eyes of newly arriving volunteers. Now the wheels in my head start spinning and i put on the most worn out and defeated look i can and stare into the eyes of the newbies and shake my head. You can almost see the fear in their eyes growing. One of them was actually trembling when he leaned over to me and asked "what's it like out there? Did everybody come back"? I leaned over a little further and said "the horror the horror" :scared1:and kept walking. I swear as i walked away a puddle formed at his feet. Then he had to get on a bus with dark windows in the dark and ride to location unknown:eek:. Boy that was fun.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter