Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

Dee - great start!

Loved your beginning comment about charging your Universal tickets on Disney Visa :rotfl2:

Looking forward to your Harry Potter adventure.

Rebecca

Great update!
:thumbsup2
I have not been to Universal Studios since 2005 and they seem to have some cool new stuff. I assume they replaced Back to the Future with the Simpsons ride.

I remember Mummy being my favorite ride of the day too. Very unique.

And ET always makes me emotional. I love that movie and I love that ride. Brings me great childhood memories.

That food looks very yummy... specially those desserts. So I guess this is the "Coral Reef" of US? :laughing:

I remember having the best onion rings ever at Mel's Drive In. Wonder if that is still there...

Cannot wait to read more.

Q

PS. The Beach Club and the Bay Lake Tower are the two Deluxes I am dying to try soon. I have a feeling that we will try the BLT before the BC though. I just think Beatriz should be a bit older to fully enjoy the Stormalong Bay... :confused3

Great start. I can't wait to read about WWoHP & how that went with the early opening for resort guest.

Can't wait to hear about Harry Potter. We're doing 1 day at IOA during our Disney trip 4 weeks from tomorrow!!

:welcome:

You must be getting very excited! Just a couple more days to wait for our first visit to Hogwarts. I'll definitely have tips to share for both on-site and day visitors by the time you take your trip.

That's a really long and busy day! I can't believe how much you accomplished. Good tip on the AAA card!

Amanda

It WAS a busy day, but not our busiest of the week. I don't even think it was our second busiest!!!

You got some great photos! I'm with you on the Mummy- I LOVE that ride!:love: I also agree about the Express pass- we didn't stay at Universal in May, but we did buy the pass. It was really worth it- I just wish the Forbidden Journey was included. Thank you for the tip about the AAA card & dining- I had no idea about that!

Thanks so much for your nice comments about my pictures. One thing that annoyed me at Universal was their prohibition on taking pictures on some rides. Yes, I can understand the whole "No Flash Photography" thing, but the "Put your cameras away from the ride attendants on Jurassic Park and Ripsaw Falls?" I'm generally a rule follower, but...:rolleyes1 there may be one or two bootleg photos appearing here soon!

Yes, the AAA is one of my favorite tips. It totally annoyed me when I forgot (or my DH forgot) to use it.

Dee - great start!

Loved your beginning comment about charging your Universal tickets on Disney Visa :rotfl2:

Looking forward to your Harry Potter adventure.

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca! Harry's coming soon- but first, I am going to need some proof that you all are worthy... :)

Great start. I can't wait to read about WWoHP & how that went with the early opening for resort guest.

We used the early opening for WWoHP twice, on Tuesday and on Friday.

Great update!
:thumbsup2
I have not been to Universal Studios since 2005 and they seem to have some cool new stuff. I assume they replaced Back to the Future with the Simpsons ride.

I remember Mummy being my favorite ride of the day too. Very unique.

And ET always makes me emotional. I love that movie and I love that ride. Brings me great childhood memories.

That food looks very yummy... specially those desserts. So I guess this is the "Coral Reef" of US? :laughing:

I remember having the best onion rings ever at Mel's Drive In. Wonder if that is still there...

Cannot wait to read more.

Q

PS. The Beach Club and the Bay Lake Tower are the two Deluxes I am dying to try soon. I have a feeling that we will try the BLT before the BC though. I just think Beatriz should be a bit older to fully enjoy the Stormalong Bay... :confused3

Yes, Back to the Future is gone. The Delorean and Jules Verne train are still there, though.

Right, Coral Reef! I thought of that while we were eating there. I'll have to remember to comment on that for future meal descriptions!

Mel's is still there, but it gets horrible reviews! Not quite as bad as Circus McGuirkus in Seusland, but we avoided both of these places.

What is the pool area like at CR/BLT? Do they have a splash park?

I'm going to try to win you over girl. Don't forget about the sand bottom/castle building beach at SAB or the kiddie pool and slide area. The second photo was provided by HockeyMomR (Rebecca), above:

P7120291.jpg

kiddieslide1.jpg

One quick question. I am thinking of reserving a room at the Royal Pacific hotel just for 1 night to be able to use the early entry and more important, the line bypass thing. In your opinion, do you think these 2 perks are worth the $300 or should we just arrive at opening and take our chances? Will be on August 18. There will be 4 adults and a 4 year old.

One quick question. I am thinking of reserving a room at the Royal Pacific hotel just for 1 night to be able to use the early entry and more important, the line bypass thing. In your opinion, do you think these 2 perks are worth the $300 or should we just arrive at opening and take our chances? Will be on August 18. There will be 4 adults and a 4 year old.

Do it!!!

I saw it explained like this over on the UNI forum.

Say you were going to buy the express pass for the 4 adults and 1 child- how much would that cost? And the express passes you can purchase are only good 1 time on each ride. And staying at Royal Pacific, you will be 5 MINUTES away from IoA. The early entry is definitely a biggie. I hate to give much away, but even with early entry, on Friday morning we had a 35-40 minute wait for the Olivanders show. By the time the park opened to regular guests, I'm guessing the line was probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. And did not get any smaller later in the day.

You will also be "ahead of the crowd". As you are leaving Hogwarts and going to other areas, the off-site guests will just be coming in. To Harry Potter, of course. So you will have a quiet stretch of an hour or so, when everyone else will be in one place and you will be somewhere different.

Do it!!!

My husband and I discussed if on a future trip if we were going to both Disney and Universal whether it would be worth it just to rent the room and maybe not even stay there!

I'm guessing you will have 1 day passes to IoA but if you have more than 1 day, you would have express privileges on the day you check in and check out.

Do it!!!

Easy for me to spend YOUR money, isn't it!!! :rotfl:

Love your trip report!! I wish I had the patience to do something like this. Your pictures are fantastic!
We did a split stay HRH/BC last summer. I know you answered some of my questions on the BC/YC thread.
We had such a good time last year we are doing it again this year. We are staying 4 days at HRH and 8 days at the Poly!!! So excited :)
Thanks for posting about the AAA discount for restaurants and parks that is so helpful!!!
Wish I knew about that last year- well better late than never!
We are also huge HP fans- that's what brought us over to Universal to begin with. I definately thought I was cheating on Mickey LOL :)
Thanks Again.
Can't wait to read more.

Love your trip report!! I wish I had the patience to do something like this. Your pictures are fantastic!
We did a split stay HRH/BC last summer. I know you answered some of my questions on the BC/YC thread.
We had such a good time last year we are doing it again this year. We are staying 4 days at HRH and 8 days at the Poly!!! So excited :)
Thanks for posting about the AAA discount for restaurants and parks that is so helpful!!!
Wish I knew about that last year- well better late than never!
We are also huge HP fans- that's what brought us over to Universal to begin with. I definately thought I was cheating on Mickey LOL :)
Thanks Again.
Can't wait to read more.

Glad you are enjoying the report! I'm having a lot of fun writing it and getting it down in writing really helps me to remember things about the trip.

Sounds like you have a super fun trip to look forward to.

Obviously, you liked the Hard Rock. Care to share any details? Did you do any pool hopping to the other resorts (which is permissible)?

Hey Dee,

Had to run over from the YC/BC board to check out Hogwarts.

You didn't have to run! It is still going to be a couple of days before I start the Hogwarts chapter.

Must

have

more.... mooore MOOORE!!!

The worst part is waiting for the next chapter...

ZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...

SNORT!

Must stay awake!!! :eek:

~MM

Must

have

more.... mooore MOOORE!!!

The worst part is waiting for the next chapter...

ZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...

SNORT!

Must stay awake!!! :eek:

~MM

I'm typing as fast as I can!

Best advice for you is to go to sleep and check again at 5:30 tomorrow morning!

'Nite!

Glad you are enjoying the report! I'm having a lot of fun writing it and getting it down in writing really helps me to remember things about the trip.

Sounds like you have a super fun trip to look forward to.

Obviously, you liked the Hard Rock. Care to share any details? Did you do any pool hopping to the other resorts (which is permissible)?

You didn't have to run! It is still going to be a couple of days before I start the Hogwarts chapter.

My DH loved the HRH! Well at least the waitresses that brought food and drinks all day at the pool lol. We also stayed CL last year and will do the same next month. We didn't do any pool hopping, it didn't even occur to me I guess b/c I wouldn't do it at Disney- we were happy where we were. :)
We're also renting a cabana this year b/c DH said "next year we are getting one of those!" Unlike the cabanas at the POLY we are renting one from 9am til midnight for almost the same price as a half day at POLY. That is insane!!! I love Disney more than Universal but when you stay other places you realize how expensive Disney really is.
Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Did it feel like a whirlwind? You weren't there that long and did a lot!!! so far.

Thanks Dee! I can't figure out how to put your quote in my reply:) Just got off the phone with my husband who is in Tampa on business, and he says go for it, so I'm gonna book the one night at Royal Pacific!! Sooo excited!!
Marsha

Do it!!!

I saw it explained like this over on the UNI forum.

Say you were going to buy the express pass for the 4 adults and 1 child- how much would that cost? And the express passes you can purchase are only good 1 time on each ride. And staying at Royal Pacific, you will be 5 MINUTES away from IoA. The early entry is definitely a biggie. I hate to give much away, but even with early entry, on Friday morning we had a 35-40 minute wait for the Olivanders show. By the time the park opened to regular guests, I'm guessing the line was probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. And did not get any smaller later in the day.

You will also be "ahead of the crowd". As you are leaving Hogwarts and going to other areas, the off-site guests will just be coming in. To Harry Potter, of course. So you will have a quiet stretch of an hour or so, when everyone else will be in one place and you will be somewhere different.

Do it!!!

My husband and I discussed if on a future trip if we were going to both Disney and Universal whether it would be worth it just to rent the room and maybe not even stay there!

I'm guessing you will have 1 day passes to IoA but if you have more than 1 day, you would have express privileges on the day you check in and check out.

Do it!!!

Easy for me to spend YOUR money, isn't it!!! :rotfl:

So glad to hear this from you. We're spending just one night there before heading to BC next month, simply because I want the HP early entry and the fast passes. DH is grumbling - a lot - about spending $300 for one night, and since we are only spending the one day at IOA, I want to make the most of our day!:yay:

Thanks Dee! I can't figure out how to put your quote in my reply:) Just got off the phone with my husband who is in Tampa on business, and he says go for it, so I'm gonna book the one night at Royal Pacific!! Sooo excited!!
Marsha

To put the quote in a reply, hit the reply button in the post you are trying to quote. Then type your message in the area below.

To multi quote, click on the " button next to quote in each of the messages you want to quote, and when you are done, go to the regular "reply" button that you use, and you will get all of the quotes.

Everything I learned about posting I learned on the DIS!

HTH :)

Hopefully you won't curse me for this advice. Definitely not while you are there. Maybe when you get your credit card bill.

So glad to hear this from you. We're spending just one night there before heading to BC next month, simply because I want the HP early entry and the fast passes. DH is grumbling - a lot - about spending $300 for one night, and since we are only spending the one day at IOA, I want to make the most of our day!:yay:

With the crowds and heat in the summer, this is money well spent. Waiting in lines is not what you want to be doing. Since you are only there for one day, you want to give yourselves the best chance to enjoy as much as possible!

And I'm enjoying your TR so far - can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much!!!

My DH loved the HRH! Well at least the waitresses that brought food and drinks all day at the pool lol. We also stayed CL last year and will do the same next month. We didn't do any pool hopping, it didn't even occur to me I guess b/c I wouldn't do it at Disney- we were happy where we were. :)
We're also renting a cabana this year b/c DH said "next year we are getting one of those!" Unlike the cabanas at the !POLY we are renting one from 9am til midnight for almost the same price as a half day at POLY. That is insane!!! I love Disney more than Universal but when you stay other places you realize how expensive Disney really is.
Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Did it feel like a whirlwind? You weren't there that long and did a lot!!! so far.

Thanks for your comments about the Hard Rock. I looked longingly over there as we passed the hotel on our walk. I am definitely more of a Rock and Roll gal than an opera lover.

I have read from others who have rented cabanas and I saw the ones at Portofino. Sound like a nice relaxing plan.

Yes, our trip was a whirlwind. But this is pretty typical of our touring style. We don't take much time to smell the roses. Or chlorine. Or hotel ameneties. Still, I think I made it for a swim 3 times.

Here is your Entrance Exam for Hogwarts.

Can you pass this O.W.L. ???

Warning: the following post is for serious Harry Potter fans only (Potterheads? Griffindorks?)

The rest of you muggles can feel free to skip this post and join us tomorrow when we enter the land of Oz. Wait, wrong wizard!

I mentioned in my intro that Nate had a couple of Harry Potter-themed birthday parties. One year we hired a magician. For his 9th birthday (2007), I hand-delivered invitations on parchment with burnt fringes (note to self: burn the edges AFTER printing the invitation, not before) via a stuffed owl. When the kids arrived they were sorted into houses and faced several challenges as a team.

We had a game of Quiddich, which the self-proclaimed Griffindorks won. Nate was on this team, so I suspect there was a home field advantage.

Predictably, the Ravenclaws had the highest score on the O.W.L.

Let’s see if you are worthy to enter Hogwarts.

Here are the house rules- no cheating by going back to books (or Googling) to look something up. But if you have children who are HP freaks in the house, you may ask them for help.

I’ll post answers tomorrow- you can self score and post your score if you wish. Or not.

Winner gets nothing but bragging rights.

Good luck!

O.W.L.
Ordinary Wizarding Level

What is significant about today’s date, July 31? (10 points)

How many Weasley children are there? (10 points)

Curses! A “Spelling” Bee (Spelling doesn’t count!)

Name two Unforgivable Curses (5 points each)

Give a spell that would bring your broomstick to you (5 points)

What would “Incendio Textbook !“ do? (5 points)

Name 3 Pure blood wizards, 3 Half-blood wizards and 3 Muggles (15 points)
Define the term “Squib” and give two examples (5 points)

How many Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans are in the vase in the dining hall?
Guess within 20 beans: 15 points,
Guess within 50 beans: 10 points
Guess within 100 points: 5 points

IMG_1534-1.jpg

Match the Disgusting Substance in the Jars:

Troll Snot _____ Dementor’s Intestines _____ Vampire Blood _____

Unicorn Droppings ____ Pixie Livers _____ Rat Spleen_____

IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg

Essay Question (20 points):
For each House at Hogwarts, give the full name of the founder, house colors, the animal that represents the house and one of the qualities of the students. Hint: The founders’ first and last names begin with the same letter, like Minerva McGonagall or Dudley Dursley

Griffyndor Slytherin Hufflepuff Ravenclaw

Founder:

House Colors:

Symbol:

Quality:

Here are a couple of other pictures from the party. The cake is actually a Shrek cake. I put cutouts of Harry over the Shrek in the window, and placed my own figurines. I can't find my pictures of the dementors. Maybe they don't photograph well.

IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

O.W.L. Answer Key

What is significant about today’s date, July 31? (10 points): Harry’s Birthday (Double points if you know it is J.K. Rowlings BD, too!)

How many Weasley children are there? (10 points): 7

Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, Ginny

Did you forget Percy?

Curses! A “Spelling” Bee (Spelling doesn’t count!)

Name two Unforgivable Curses (5 points each):
Crucio (torture, red spark), Avada Kedavra (kills, green spark) and Imperio (forces victim to obey the commands of the caster, no colored spark)

Give a spell that would bring your broomstick to you (5 points): Accio Broomstick!

What would “Incendio Textbook !“ do? (5 points): Lights your textbook on fire.

Name 3 Pure blood wizards, 3 Half-blood wizards and 3 Muggles (15 points)
Define the term “Squib” and give 2 examples.

Your answers may vary- let me know if you need a ruling:

Pure bloods: The Weasleys, The Malfoys, The Blacks, Dumbledore
Half bloods: Harry Potter, Severus Snape, Tom Riddle (Voldemort)
Muggles: The Dursleys

A squib is someone born to a wizarding family who does not possess magical powers. Argus Filch, Mrs. Figg*, Marius Black and an unnamed stock broker cousin to the Weasleys. OK, I had to look those last two up!

(* 1/2 point if you said the neighbor who watches Harry for the Dursleys but is really watching him at the request of Dumbledore)

How many Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans are in the vase in the dining hall?
Guess within 20 beans: 15 points
Guess within 50 beans: 10 points
Guess within 100 points: 5 points

OK, this is a trick question. The answer is really 0, since these were Jelly Bellies, not actual BBs. 20 points if you said zero.

But the count was 358 (actually 357 because Sam’s mom ate one when she dropped him off for the party. I may have had a little freak out then. “That’s part of the O.W.L!!!”

Match the Disgusting Substance in the Jars:

Troll Snot-E Dementor’s Intestines -D Vampire Blood -C

Unicorn Droppings -B Pixie Livers -F Rat Spleen- A

Forgot to add the points awarded. Let's say 5 points for each correctly identified disgusting substance.

FYI, the disgusting substances were:

Troll snot- pineapple chunks in lime jello (Max quite enjoyed that, found it tasty)
Dementor’s intestines- leftover corkscrew pasta with Portabella mushrooms.
(I think it was a 2-week old leftover found in my fridge, so it really WAS disgusting!)
Vampire Blood- V8
Unicorn Droppings- Raisinettes
Pixie Livers- kidney beans
Rat Spleen- Lupini Beans. Also disgusting. They are hard and REALLY salty. I normally like every variety of beans. :)

Essay Question (20 points):
For each House at Hogwarts, give the full name of the founder, house colors, the animal that represents the house and one of the qualities of the students. Hint: The founders’ first and last names begin with the same letter, like Minerva McGonagall or Dudley Dursley

Griffyndor
Godric Griffyndor, Scarlet and Gold, Lion,
Courage, Bravery, Daring, Nerve, Chivalry

Slytherin
Salazar Slytherin, Green and Silver, Snake/Serpent
Ambition, Cunning, Clever, Crafty, Powerful, Resourcefulness

Hufflepuff
Helga Hufflepuff, Black and Yellow, Badger
Hard Work, Loyalty, Patience, Fair Play

Ravenclaw
Rowena Ravenclaw, Blue and Bronze, Eagle
Wicked Smart! Intelligence, Knowledge, Wit

Another good question would have been to match the ghost to his or her house at Hogwarts:

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington aka Nearly Headless Nick, The Fat Friar, The Bloody Baron and The Grey Lady

Next time you post, feel free to include your O.W.L. score, if you wish!

We are very excited to be able to see WWOHP and the rest of IOA, but wow this is a very expensive overnight adventure when adding the cost of 5 park tickets and 1 night on site hotel! Good thing I have my summer madd money :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter