Weird Next Door Interaction

I thought it would be nice to know about upcoming events in the village or heads up on certain things; but that idea was quickly wiped out after browsing it for a few weeks. Got rid of it, never opened it again. Every day there was a "just moved here -- I heard coyotes / saw a fox!!! / gunshots / loud tractor / train comes too many times". Dude, you moved to the country. There's wild animals and people shooting stuff and farmers working before sunrise and until 11pm certain times of the year. Not sure what you were expecting.

I joined NextDoor a few months ago because I thought it'd be a good place to find service people, like electricians and plumbers. Instead, not one single service provider I contacted ever responded to me and ND seemed to be a place where people complained endlessly about this and that, having nothing to do with the neighborhood. I deleted my account.
I always recommend our plumber and the best restaurants, grocery and dry cleaners in the area. We were skeptical about the woman in a mansion who said she couldn’t afford clothes after buying food but you never really know someone‘s situation so we took some food and clothes. I made sure she had proper coats for all seasons, nice clothes , warm clothes and pajamas. I needed to clean out stuff anyway. But as we drove away my husband was like she was rough. I think she is on drugs. I was shocked but it’s maybe true.

I thought it would be nice to know about upcoming events in the village or heads up on certain things; but that idea was quickly wiped out after browsing it for a few weeks. Got rid of it, never opened it again. Every day there was a "just moved here -- I heard coyotes / saw a fox!!! / gunshots / loud tractor / train comes too many times". Dude, you moved to the country. There's wild animals and people shooting stuff and farmers working before sunrise and until 11pm certain times of the year. Not sure what you were expecting.
:rotfl2:

I lasted two days on NextDoor and deleted it. In those two days I got attacked by more Crazy Karen’s than I have in over 20 on the Dis. One comment I made was that a certain restaurant that we’d been going to for 30+ years recently started charging for bread. It was in response to a post that the poster said they felt the portions were smaller. I just stated they also started charging for bread. Not that I was for or against them charging for it. Just that they did. Well all the crazies came out asking why I expected free bread. I didn’t 🙄 so that was the end for me!!

I can't get over the ungratefulness of people getting things free. Between not showing up or expecting it delivered. Honestly, even the woman for the cards sent me her address and I had to politely tell her she needed to get them.

I have 2 brand new never used beach cruisers to give, but I hate the hassle!

Oh, Nextdoor! It's like the bastion of stupid people on the Internet. There have been some interesting posts on our neighborhood's corner of Nextdoor over the past couple of years. Here's some entertaining examples:
  • 1 lady asked if the local elementary school had the following day off of school. Because apparently she can't pick up the phone to CALL the school herself to find out.
  • somebody else 1 time was looking for somebody to be an on-call babysitter on standby 24x7 and be willing to work less than minimum wage AND cook and clean at the house, too.
  • an aging boomer dude thought it was a dating site for awhile and kept posting pics of himself and saying that he was looking for female companionship. He definitely was looking for love in the all the wrong places.
  • there's a group of cows in the area that regularly will bust out and go on a field trip. They enjoy hanging out in our development's common areas. People regularly post about it on Nextdoor and then somebody always complains about how come the HOA isn't doing anything about it. Then they get mad when people tell them to call the fish & game department or to call the police.
  • 1 mom wanted people to lend her fancy outdoor furniture (specifically COUCHES) for her to use for a big family outdoor party she was hosting the following weekend.
  • Yet another mom announced one time that she was in search of a long ballet/gymnastics bar and wanted someone to donate 1 to her for her kid to use. Um yeah sure, because everybody has one of those laying around.
  • Another time, somebody said that they needed 2 tablespoons of some random sort of spice and quick, could you just bring some over to her house please because she doesn't want to get in the car and go to the store and buy some herself like a normal person?
  • There's 1 guy in the neighborhood who's little chihuahua escaped & ran off 3 YEARS AGO. He still regularly posts photos of the dog on Nextdoor asking for the dog to come home. He really thinks that the dog is still alive somewhere or that someone 'kidnapped' his dog. It's sad. Nobody ever replies to his posts anymore because after 3 years, either the dog has found a new home or the dog is dead. Time to move on, buddy, and if you can't move on, then maybe you need to get some therapy.
And don't get me started on all of the people selling MLM stuff like snake oil or CBD products which are going to CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

I don’t use NextDoor. My BIL looks at it for my neighborhood every so often, but I am content to just mind my own business and interact with my neighbors on the street in real time. He says it’s not worth it. We get a newsletter from the HOA twice a year, that outlines any changes taking place, so I don’t feel like I am missing out.

• somebody else 1 time was looking for somebody to be an on-call babysitter on standby 24x7 and be willing to work less than minimum wage AND cook and clean at the house, too.
We had this, but with shoveling. Would pay a teenager a whole $5 to shovel their driveway. Then threw an absolute fit when people were like "That is not enough money. Nobody will do that".

Of course, she blames it on kids not wanting to work these days :headache:

The ND posts that get me are the ones that say "suspicious person casing my car/house" and they post a photo or video of the person. Usually, the person is walking by or maybe stopped on the sidewalk and took an extra long glance at the house. To be accused of "casing" is a stretch. DH and I took a walk around our neighborhood the other day. We lingered a few times in front of houses with nice Christmas decorations. DH is currently shopping for a new car and left the sidewalk a few times to look more closely at cars that were parked at the curb. He wasn't looking inside the cars. He mostly stopped to glance at the back of the cars to see what kind they were. I kept telling him to be careful so we don't end up on ND being called out as "casers!"

There was a post yesterday showing a woman on a Ring camera, standing at someone's front door and holding what looked like an envelope. The poster said, "This woman keeps ringing my doorbell when I'm not home. Then she walks away when I don't answer. Anyone know who she is? What's that envelope she's holding? Why is she coming to my door? This is very suspicious!" Well, maybe she's a neighbor who got a piece of your mail and wants to return it in person. Maybe she's taking a survey. Maybe she's selling something. Maybe she wants to talk to people about something going on in the neighborhood. Maybe she wants to start a neighborhood watch. Three are so many perfectly reasonable possibilties! And if the women wants to break into your home, she would have done it by now instead of ringing the doorbell, waiting for an answer then walking away. I just don't get people!

OMG NextDoor is just ridiculous. I don't know why I still keep the app on my phone because I'm disgusted anytime I read on there. I mainly just do it for the "lost animals" stuff which I'm involved in. There's also the thing about "know thy enemy" right? I always feel completely disgusted by the ignorance displayed there. I realize that it's basically all the people around an 8 mile radius for me and I'm apparently surrounded by people who barely know how to put in a lightbulb on their own, beg for money for everything, and so much more...I could go on.
In recent years Nextdoor expanded their areas. I liked it more honestly when it was just my immediate area but now it's for areas miles and miles away from me. There's a setting that you can unselect for "Show Posts Beyond Nearby" and I'm thinking about toggling that back so that I only see right by me. But I'm also not certain what they consider nearby as the amount of neighborhoods that have been defaulted to follow in just my city is 53 different neighborhoods. Then there's neighborhoods that are in other cities around me that I see posts from.

I get that in helps foster more than just your own small radius but can also make more annoying posts to see too lol.

The number of people asking for help to do basic home repairs or maintenance is pretty high. My husband says we are the last generation who learned how to be self sufficient. He may be right!
In my area the people asking for help are the 60+ age group, some is mobility of course, some are for individuals with cognitive disorders (that are very apparent) but others are I think people just used to others doing things for them now. The younger generations seem more self sufficient. I say this with knowing if we have a problem we search it out ourselves, teaching ourselves and my mother-in-law can't retrieve her FB password to help set up an Echo device without 3 people helping her out (us) and while they can do some household maintenance they rely on us younger folk to really do it. We just go to YouTube and figure it out lol and sometimes that means calling in someone with more advanced knowledge than us after we've exhausted what we can do ourselves (like when we tried to fix our dryer and bought a motherboard for it, another spring, etc and called in a maintenance person finally who was at a loss as well). But step-father-in-law since getting a smart phone is going to Pinterest and YouTube to help him with his 5th wheel and a bunch of random projects. He still gets handyman books which is pretty endearing :)

My autistic aunt gives us Christmas cards every year. Some years, like this year, it's construction paper where she writes something quick on it and covers it with stickers (this year it was Snoopy). Other years it's Christmas cards made from other Christmas cards cards just like what is being described. Never would it occur to me to think it's not the same as her drawing her own card. I have no idea why someone would gripe about that plus aren't drawing and creating cards the same things at the end of the day? Both are about creating something :confused3

I didn't think these are allowed on ND (maybe it's geographical). I just report them to the moderator
I'm assuming it's how it's being asked. Majority of the time for mine you've gotten to know the people who are willfully helpless. These are the people who have been told countless times about avenues for those in need (food, shelter, clothing, even cars) but they just repeat the cycle of asking for essentially hand outs and free items. Eventually those become against Nextdoor's purpose.

I did report one person because she kept doing it but also she would create multiple accounts over time presumably after each time of being reported enough. People got to the exhaustion point of telling her what sources were out there.

If I had to describe my area it's that people are too helpful, too willing to give someone money for supposed vet bills or fallen on hard times but majority of them are serial posters not interested in actual help and you have to pull back. One person said they would pay for these 4 stray kittens for vet care that this now-known willfully helpless person that she took in for the night. Cue a bunch of sob stories. But when people were being smart and asked for the vet contact information to pay for the bill that way she refused to give the information. People caught on eventually to what she was really wanting.

Funny this came up. I have an account but never look at it. Nothing really to crazy from what I saw when I did look for a short time.

Well yesterday I thought about making a post but changed my mind because I’m afraid of the flame throwers. I recently moved to our new home out in the farm. My sister lives next door. Two nights ago a cat showed up at her house, hollering constantly. The next morning it was still there so they gave it some food. She texted me because for some reason she thought I might take it in. Well, no I’m not. I have a cat and don’t want another. But in the meantime this cat will not leave. Most likely dropped off. And I think it may be pregnant. I was considering a ND post or Facebook post but figure everyone will have their opinions about how we should handle this, when all I want to do is see if there is an owner missing it.

So totally off topic, but if someone dropped this poor kitty off in the cold, they suck.

FYI, when you report ND posts it actually goes to a group of your neighbors who vote. I'm on that board. It's quite hilarious to see how people vote, but it's basically as odd ball as the post was to begin with.

I think it takes 3 or 4 nos to remove.

Funny this came up. I have an account but never look at it. Nothing really to crazy from what I saw when I did look for a short time.

Well yesterday I thought about making a post but changed my mind because I’m afraid of the flame throwers. I recently moved to our new home out in the farm. My sister lives next door. Two nights ago a cat showed up at her house, hollering constantly. The next morning it was still there so they gave it some food. She texted me because for some reason she thought I might take it in. Well, no I’m not. I have a cat and don’t want another. But in the meantime this cat will not leave. Most likely dropped off. And I think it may be pregnant. I was considering a ND post or Facebook post but figure everyone will have their opinions about how we should handle this, when all I want to do is see if there is an owner missing it.

So totally off topic, but if someone dropped this poor kitty off in the cold, they suck.
NextDoor as actually quite good for this. You don't need to say what you are doing--just say that there is a kitty at your house, your doing right by it, but you know it belongs to someone. Provide a few pictures and see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter