Weird Next Door Interaction

There are coyotes in every state except Hawaii. In Massachusetts they have made their home in median strips along turnpikes.

Here’s an interesting article: https://www.snexplores.org/article/coyotes-neighborhood-urban-suburban-city-habitat

A quick Google search for “coyotes live in which states” brings up many more interesting articles to read.
This is so incredibly sad. I admit to getting excited and concerned every time I see a coyote, but they should not have to live so close to humans

Nextdoor in my area is full of people begging for free stuff or complaining about something and nothing else.

My favorite experience was when someone complained of two "viscious, dangerous" dogs that were scaring her kids and wanted the HOA to ban dog ownership in the community. Guess what those dogs were? My pair of one year old Bernese Mountain Dogs that are terrified of their own shadows. They would jump up and run away in fear when someone sneezed.

Needless to say the ban never happened but the woman got absolutely roasted in the comments and it was hilarious.

FYI, when you report ND posts it actually goes to a group of your neighbors who vote. I'm on that board. It's quite hilarious to see how people vote, but it's basically as odd ball as the post was to begin with.

I think it takes 3 or 4 nos to remove.
I got an invite to be a part of that for my area earlier this year and promptly said nope. Not something I'd like to deal with :upsidedow but I'm sure there's a bunch of silly stuff you see

FYI, when you report ND posts it actually goes to a group of your neighbors who vote. I'm on that board. It's quite hilarious to see how people vote, but it's basically as odd ball as the post was to begin with.

I think it takes 3 or 4 nos to remove.
I reported a post only to find out that the poster that I reported was one of the mods or whatever they are called on ND . . . . and my father's friend. At least they are still friends.

I turned off Nextdoor notifications ages ago. I too keep it for lost animals, power outages (because when we lose it, it may be days before it returns), and as a reminder that I’m the sane one! 😂

We live in a suburb just outside Memphis, TN. Scrolling ours you’ll find:
  • Anyone hear gunshots? …(I’ve posted here)
  • Where’s the emergency vehicles heading?
  • Caught these thief’s on my Ring camera …(this is helpful and sometimes entertaining)
  • Asking for free home improvement because can’t afford it
  • Asking for money
  • Beware of the scammers (in Kroger parking lot, going door to door, etc).
  • Complaining about speeders on certain roads …(ya, I’ve posted here).

I get tired of the constant complaining and asking for free things. It was helpful when scammers were going door to door in our neighborhood. Rather than answering the door we watched the scammer knock on our door via our Ring camera. When the dogs started barking he nearly stumbled off our front porch running. And yes, he was up to no good because he tried to force his way into a house down the block.

The best use of ND was to help track down a missing dog that everyone was on the lookout for, for 3-6 months. Through awareness he was tracked him down across the state line. A few months later we found him in our yard, but knew how to track down his owner.

Nearly all of the comments being discussed here show up in my feed too. I guess people are the same all over.
:laughing: Wow - what a rabbit hole to fall down. Or should I say coyote? Being as I'd never heard of this site before and we've just moved to a new neighbourhood, I decided to check it out. Even here, thousands of miles and a world away from where most of you other DIS'ers are, the first half-dozen posts on the feed were about coyotes/bobcat sightings, Gofundme requests and screen shots from Ring doorbells. :rotfl:I bailed out at that point. I had to register an account to even look but I'm pretty sure I'll not follow regularly or ever post.

NextDoor as actually quite good for this. You don't need to say what you are doing--just say that there is a kitty at your house, you’re doing right by it, but you know it belongs to someone. Provide a few pictures and see what happens.
Yes we have a local lost and found pets Facebook page, so I’ll use that. I also messaged a rescue where I got my kitty. I feel funny filling out a surrender form for any organization, because I feel like it looks like I’m surrendering my own pet. But I may need to.

:laughing: Wow - what a rabbit hole to fall down. Or should I say coyote? Being as I'd never heard of this site before and we've just moved to a new neighbourhood, I decided to check it out. Even here, thousands of miles and a world away from where most of you other DIS'ers are, the first half-dozen posts on the feed were about coyotes/bobcat sightings, Gofundme requests and screen shots from Ring doorbells. :rotfl:I bailed out at that point. I had to register an account to even look but I'm pretty sure I'll not follow regularly or ever post.
We actually had a small child attacked by a coyote in our city. Close to the outskirts but in a suburban street.

Hubby looks at the website every once in a while but doesn't have the app. He only looks at it if our actual next door neighbor says something about a missing dog. He did check it once when the kids across the street "ran away from home". The whole neighborhood was out looking for them, the police were out searching. They just ended up in the neighborhood across the street, got scared and came home. Evidently, mom had told them to clean up the basement and they didn't want to so she told them they couldn't go outside to play until they did. They snuck out the basement door and she didn't know they were gone for a few hours. Otherwise, he never looks at it, heck he barely even looks at the quarterly homeowners newsletter that comes in his email. We don't really need it, our next door neighbors are on the homeowners board and the old man likes to sit out on his porch and hold court. Everyone in the neighborhood ends up on that porch at some point.

In our neck of the woods "gunshots" are usually fireworks (we're in the burbs, downtown you might hear some gunshots) and for some reason people experience explosions that shake their house...this is likely some blasting for construction projects.
There actually was one time where it really was gun shots. I think that was either October or November it happened. It was the most sirens Aaron and I have ever heard, drew police from all the cities around too. Crazy. But ironically Nextdoor had the scoop immediately (as in within a few mins) and it was the first place I looked to find out what was going on because I knew someone would be posting about it. Because of its proximity to us (a few streets away) I did stay glued to Nextdoor for a few hours for updates. A lot of people are on there listening to police scanners or are on PulsePoint app or so I've come to find out lol.

But yeah it's usually blasting or fireworks and people still ask all the time if it was gunshots or fireworks. At least we don't get as many questions about the military helicopters like we used to, those rattle the house because of how low they are flying.

My real neighbor and I thought the site was a comedic relief site. Our neighborhood was way, out in the middle of nowhere. Now it's become "the" place to build. Housing going up all around us (it stinks), but the big thing on Nextdoor is that our subdivision has a coveted POOL!! endless inquiries about "how do I get a keycard for the pool? How much to join the pool? ....LOL... nope you can't join, you don't live in our subdivision. Oh and the "wildlife" posts... yes you move out to nowhere, and yes we have critters....

• I shut off alerts on that as well. I thought it was a great idea for lost pets but it turned out to be constant notifications for other stuff. (The white van belongs to the cable company, people. :laughing: )

And PS- collage crafts are good for kids' fine motor skills! :teacher: Your grumpy neighbor is wrong. :rotfl:
We get stuff like this on the ring app all the danged time…🤦‍♀️
  • There a dude riding his bike through the neighborhood “everyday” and “ know he doesn’t live in our area” how do we “identify this person before he [robs us/kidnaps the children/rapes someone/other horrible, awful crimes]”
    • Ok… so, Mr. Nosy Neighbor, you have somehow IDed every single resident (and all of their legitimate guests) of the multiple neighborhoods within cycling distance? Including guests of the several Airbnb and VRBO listings within a 3-5 mile radius? And you’ve kept up on all of the home sales, and rental move ins? Somehow I doubt it. :sad2:
  • Missing Chihuahua. Or Teacup Poodle. Or puppy. Or kitten…. Etc.
    • I’m very sorry for your loss, but unless your lost pet is larger than a German shepherd and faster than a greyhound…. Sadly your beloved pet is a coyote snack & your kitten ot puppy was unfortunately almost certainly snatched by one of the many large birds of prey.I hate being the bearer of horrible news, but tiny pets almost never come home. Larger pets do about 50-70% of the time.
  • The same car drives down the street in front of your house at the same time “every single day, very early in the morning
    • Really? Get a new hobby, Mr Nosy Neighbor… what you are witnessing is another neighbor going to work on the graveyard or pre-dawn shift. Someone has to make the Bruegger’s Bagels or Dunkin’ Donuts….

I can't get over the ungratefulness of people getting things free. Between not showing up or expecting it delivered. Honestly, even the woman for the cards sent me her address and I had to politely tell her she needed to get them.

I have 2 brand new never used beach cruisers to give, but I hate the hassle!
I wound up delivering the clothes and stuff but it was because I didn’t want her to know where I live. Lol
the other stuff I left out front in boxes and said collect by Sunday or it is going with the trash on Monday. The collected.

Wow, so I woke up to an actual kind of interesting post this morning on our NextDoor. This was from a guy who apparently is lead nurse at a local emergency room. You can tell how frustrated he was, and probably exhausted. He basically ranted about the tons of people showing up at the ER with colds, COVID, and any other respiratory infection and how they don't know basic self-care. Told them to stop watching TikTok for how to take care of yourself. He proceeded with some basic instructions to just take care of yourself at home and how to do it. Said most of the people coming in don't even know to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen, don't know what to do and they are clogging up the ER. He just didn't understand why people were coming in, and SO many, that weren't even rising to to that level of needing an ER.

One can only hope his helpful rant reaches the right people!

My city's NextDoor has been taken over by a small but very loud group of hyperconservatives. They hate the mayor, they hate the culture, they hate absolutely everything that makes NOLA unique. And they are hell bent on making their displeasure known over and over and over again ad nauseum. I rarely look at it anymore.

My city's NextDoor has been taken over by a small but very loud group of hyperconservatives. They hate the mayor, they hate the culture, they hate absolutely everything that makes NOLA unique. And they are hell bent on making their displeasure known over and over and over again ad nauseum. I rarely look at it anymore.

I don't know who "moderates" NextDoor--most hidden moderation system I've seen; however, they don't seem to let they hyperconservatives get too far on my local site. Oh they try to start stuff but then it disappears relatively quickly. I can't imagine what would happen if it wasn't stopped.

Sounds like those on my ND page, as well as community FB pages. Eagerly bashing anything that is not conservative, bashing growth, and gleefully rejoicing in anything that fails that they did not support. It's kind of pathetic. If only they could use that energy to support their community.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter