Week of Sep 25 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Good morning! :sunny: Hope everyone is doing better than I am today! I'm sitting here at my desk with my foot propped up on a printer paper box as I ice my ankle. It's a good thing I'm hidden away in a cubicle!! :teeth: My ankle is feeling much better, it just gets swollen in the morning, but as the day goes on it feels great. I bought an ankle brace Tuesday night, I wore when I took Hines for a 3 mile walk. My ankle felt fine, but man did my foot hurt where the brace was digging into it! I don't know what was worse--the ankle pain or the foot pain! :rotfl:

Dave--thanks again for all the ankle advice, you've been a big help.

Sunny-- :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on your half marathon. I know you are going to rock!

Lisa--Hope you are feeling better!! Thanks for sticking it to that PT!! You truly are the big :dog:

Stephen--guess you made it to work! Have a good day!! :goodvibes I just have to tell everyone how wonderful my husband is. Stephen is a mechancal engineer and right now there are like a gazillion projects coming in, needing to be designed. They are having mandatory 50 hour work weeks to get some of the work done. Instead of getting his 50 hours in 6 days (Monday-Saturday), Stephen is working 12-14 hour days to get his 50 hours in so we can have Saturday to spend together! What a guy!! :lovestruc

Good luck to everyone training!!

Krista princess:

Well, I have done nothing since Sunday. I am doing the Race for the Cure on Saturday. What a great cause!

Helen- I am going to run the Disneyland 1/2 marathon next year. Early registration begins next week I believe.

I am ready to get out of this September funk and into the October (oh no, the marathon will be here before I know it) training frenzy. :rolleyes:

Hi all!

Super busy, but I wanted to check in real quick-

Mel- I am exhausted just reading about your adventure race. Seriously, I just got up and I feel like I need a nap.

Be careful out there everyone. I agree with everyone out there- vary your running routes, make sure where you are is well lit, run with a partner if you can, etc, etc.

Tuesday I did my 40 minutes (3/2) for a total of 4.16 miles, so a 9:37/mile pace. It felt like I was dragging for a good bit of it-- but I was on the cross country course and I usually feel worse when I run there.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes (3/2) on an indoor track-- looked like it was going to rain out. I gave myself 4.80 miles just to be conservative, but I really felt good yesterday. Pacing felt fine, didn't get particularly sore-- just a nice session.

Tomorrow is my 9-miler. Still feeeling somewhat excited about it. :rolleyes: When I looked up my workout yesterday I happened to glance at the training distances for the first training plan I was going to use. (I thought the MFM plan would be "easier" somehow.) I am doing nearly TWICE the amount of running I would have been doing under the old program! But since I'm getting it done (for the most part), no harm, no foul at this point.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hi, everyone! Wow! I am so blown away by what everyone is accomplishing.

Mel -- Your description of the adventure race was breathtaking. Literally! I am so impressed. Just think -- for the rest of your life you will have that accomplishment to be proud of. Congratulations!

Krista -- So sorry you are having such problems with your ankle. I hope it works out. Am glad we are still 15 weeks or so back so that you have some time for it to get better.

I really wanted to get to everyone today, but it is going to be pretty busy at work.

Last night we did a 5K for the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief. I think it raised over $6000. DH (KeenHo) had an amazing time with his first mile being something like 7:38 and his 2nd all time PB (the last one was 3 seconds faster in May '02). As for me, I was just glad to finish. It was the first 5K I have done that was not first thing in the morning. That the event started at 6:30 pm raised 3 issues for me: first, I was tired after a stressful day at work; second, I obviously didn't make the right food choices during the day because I didn't feel energized and my tummy still felt full from my 1:30 lunch. Third and most important, however, my vision issues really impacted on my ability to strive for a PB time. I don't have depth perception and limited distance vision, so I couldn't tell anything about gradations in the course after the first 1/2 hour or so. And entire sections of the course are very remote with going around the far perimeter of an outlet mall parking lot and then under a highway -- there was a group of college kids walking a bit ahead of me but then no one else in sight anywhere, so I was very reluctant to jog at all because if I got ahead of them I couldn't tell where I was going and I would have been in a potentially dangerous situation. Anyway, I am awaiting the official results, but I think I was less than a minute off my 9/18 time. Had hoped for further improvement, but I'll look for that next time.

Happy training all!

WARNING: Rant Mode is definitely ON!!!!!

Lisa-- Your "laundry" really hit a nerve with me. I've seen that trainers attitude in the looks of people's eyes. Not many, but occasionally I'll get that skeptical "you're training for a marathon???" look. I usually feel compelled to almost apologize by saying something like, "yeah, I don't run fast, but I can run long".

Just yesterday I spent a good half hour paging through photos of last years Applefest half to see if there were any "heavy" runners. I'm already getting self-conscious of showing up. At my July 4th 10K I really felt like I was being judge by many pencil thin runners. There wasn't one other runner there even close to my size. I am running as a "Filly" at the Applefest. But I have a serious beef with the requirements. Filly's are 140 lbs or higher, but they can be any height. The past filly placers were 5'9, 5'10 and just barely 140, to me that really isn't a weight disadvantage. I think they should go by BMI. If they went by BMI I might actually have a chance to place. As it is, the top Filly's run ~7:20.

On to more personal "heavy running" issues. I've had a couple of akward encounters. At work one day a man was asking about my marathon training and mentioned a man in his group runs ultras. He then started to say, "ultra runners are different than marathoners, they don't tend to be pencil thin" he then immediately looked all uncomfortable and nervous. I fought the urge to reply, "yah I know I'm not pencil thin". Another encounter at work was with a woman. We were talking about Weight Watchers and weight, etc. She then started to say "I'm surprized with all your running..." and then caught herself and got all nervous and didn't know how to continue. I replied, "how can I be fat and run so much?" She jumped in "Oh, no, you're not fat at all, its just, well, it seems like you wouldn't have any struggles with your weight running 35-40 miles a week". People just don't get it. Ya I run 35-40 miles a week, but I also eat like a horse! :rotfl:

I'm glad to air this laundry even if you all didn't really want it in your face :p I have to get my courage up for Applefest and not be too self conscious of standing out like a beached whale among athletes :blush:

Cam gave me a great idea after my 10K, she said we should wear T-shirts that say "I've lost X lbs so stop gawking!". I added a shirt that says "Move your skinny butt, I'm comin' through". I have to say, in the 4 races I've participated in so far, I've left quite a few "skinny butts" in the dust!

I've also read a very sad story of a woman who has lost 250 lbs and walked her first 5K only to get snickers and stares from some of the elites. That is so despicable .

OK, I'll stop ranting now!

I did an absolutely wonderful "no garmin, no knowledge of pace" easy run yesterday in absolutely perfect weather. It was about 4.4 miles. It doesn't get any better than that!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Sunny

Sunny -- I am so sorry that ANYONE has had the nerve to say or do anything that would make you self conscious. You are such an amazing person and I LOVE that you are out there doing something that you love that is good for you for the pure joy of it. You are my hero and my inspiration.

I have to tell you, someone said to me last night at the end, when I looked all red and hot and winded "YOU RAN this?" and I am so quick to say, "no, I JUST walk them" and immediately got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomache where you just sense that you've been judged and found lacking. The fact is, after 10 years of not having the energy most of the time to make it through a full day of work, and after 4 heart procedures, and having lost 56 pounds since 12/1/04 and 49 of them since 1/6/05, I KNOW I don't have to apologize to anyone. But the reality is that even if I still weighed what I did on 12/1 and even if I barely dragged myself over that finish line, I would have done it. I would have accomplished something that many others didn't attempt.

The positive, supportive, LOVING attitudes I have found here on this board have brought me from hopelessness and dispair and a feeling of striving for something that wasn't in my reach to a feeling of accomplishment for whatever I do each day or each "wog" and a "can-do" attitude that will carry me through long past 1/7/06.

So, to those who would be skeptics (and I know it's silly to even say it here because my audience is elsewhere), I'd say "stop gawking -- I'm not doing this to impress you. You just aren't that important to me." :rotfl:

Okay, off my soapbox! Thanks, guys!

BTW, my official time for last night was 46:55 (15:08 pace) compared to 46:21 (pace 14:57) on 9/18. I don't feel badly about it all. Glad to have done it and that well for a good cause. :sunny:

Tiger Lily 03 said:
Garmin question: I started the darn thing on Tuesday and when I looked at my info it was giving me stats in some sort of "foreign" tounge. It was not set on the kilometer reading (the second drop down choice). It was set on the (first choice, but my reading was not coming in mph. I ended up "resetting" my unit. There must be a better way. This is the second time I have discovered this other unit and I don't know how to get back exactly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Send it to me!! :teeth: I will fix it for you!!! :rotfl2:

OK, gotta' join the rant. That attittude is awful and I cannot believe it exists. Personally, I believe that a person who is larger thn what some perceive as teh stereotypical runner has put in a lot more effort. They have overcome some many hurdles and perceptions and still got out there. These are the people who have really inspired me to "Get my butt out!" It takes a lot more courage to go out into a world where some may thin you do not belong. My hat is off to all of you. Regarding the others, as my mom used to say, "That's not the type of person you'd want to be firends with anyway. Why do you care what they think." True, even if it's easier said than done. Stepping off soap box now.

plutosmyfav said:
On to more personal "heavy running" issues. I've had a couple of akward encounters. At work one day a man was asking about my marathon training and mentioned a man in his group runs ultras. He then started to say, "ultra runners are different than marathoners, they don't tend to be pencil thin" he then immediately looked all uncomfortable and nervous. I fought the urge to reply, "yah I know I'm not pencil thin". Another encounter at work was with a woman. We were talking about Weight Watchers and weight, etc. She then started to say "I'm surprized with all your running..." and then caught herself and got all nervous and didn't know how to continue. I replied, "how can I be fat and run so much?" She jumped in "Oh, no, you're not fat at all, its just, well, it seems like you wouldn't have any struggles with your weight running 35-40 miles a week". People just don't get it. Ya I run 35-40 miles a week, but I also eat like a horse! :rotfl:
THE EVIL QUEEN IS COMING OUT! GIRL!!!! That burns me up! :mad: I have had people say stuff like that to me too. People can be so discouraging. Bree and I have come to the conclusion that they are jealous. I used to try to explain it away, but now I just say, "I would love to run with you sometime to see how you could keep up with me". :crazy: I think sometimes people want to put others down to build thenselves up. I hate that. Sunny, I have seen your pictures and you are BUFF and beautiful! So don't take that from anyone!
Christa

Oh, BTW, guys, I thought of something else. It really hit me last night that I have a definite purpose to serve in doing these 5Ks. Absolutely. Besides all the ways my participation benefits me, I also benefit the organization that gets my entry fee. But, more important is the purpose I serve for all of those people on the course who suddenly find it in themselves to jog when I pass them and I can just hear them saying "I can't let that fat lady get ahead of me. I think I will run for a while". It NEVER fails. Every single person that I jogged past last night immediately jogged past me. Heck, I was just doing my walk 4/jog 1 interval. They shouldn't have taken it personally that I passed them. :confused3 I certainly didn't mean to put them out by making them think they had to jog/run to get past me. But, hey, if that's what motivates them? More power to them. :rolleyes: Glad to be of service! :rotfl:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled training thread. :teeth:

keenercam said:
Oh, BTW, guys, I thought of something else. It really hit me last night that I have a definite purpose to serve in doing these 5Ks. Absolutely. Besides all the ways my participation benefits me, I also benefit the organization that gets my entry fee. But, more important is the purpose I serve for all of those people on the course who suddenly find it in themselves to jog when I pass them and I can just hear them saying "I can't let that fat lady get ahead of me. I think I will run for a while". It NEVER fails. Every single person that I jogged past last night immediately jogged past me. Heck, I was just doing my walk 4/jog 1 interval. They shouldn't have taken it personally that I passed them. :confused3 I certainly didn't mean to put them out by making them think they had to jog/run to get past me. But, hey, if that's what motivates them? More power to them. :rolleyes: Glad to be of service! :rotfl:

Interesting theory, but I would flip the premise. I think you are a motivator-- you are motivating some of those people out there watching that race to get off their duffs and try. They are thinking "Hey, she's just like ME. I can do that too." That's how I felt in 2001 when I happened to be in WDW during marathon time. I wasn't impressed by the people who led the race, I became inspired by the people who were two hours behind them and having a great time.

So yes, you are a motivator, and Bravo to you for it!

Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
So yes, you are a motivator, and Bravo to you for it!

Well said! I do know what you mean, though, Cam. Back when my "thing" was rolleblading, I used to get a kick out of passing young men. They'd do anything to get back ahead of me! I could hear the skates smacking the pavement out of control as soon as I passed. :rotfl:

Thank you Christa and Cam for your kind words :grouphug: Christa I think you are so right that people tend to be most judgmental when they lack confidence in themselves. I love the comeback of "would you like to come running with me sometime". Its kindof a "call your bluff" comeback. I think I'll use it!

Sunny

Krista - hope your ankle continues to feel better! I used to do leg lifts under my desk at work to strengthen my knees, but that was years ago, before I ever thought about running.

Solo - I was thinking about your question of motivation today during my long run. I just started in week 2 of my program (16weeks). Anyway, I counted the adventure race as week 1. I have rested most of the week, except a slow 1000meter swim on tues. today, while the boy was in preschool, my friend and i ran 12 miles. I thought someone was going to have to give us a ride back to the car! My legs would not move by the end!!!! The worst part is that we were meeting another friend to ride after the run. We did finish and the ride was actually theraputic for my knees/legs. Halfway through the run I was thinking about your post last week and smiling!! I wanted to write and say... "yes, sometimes the run seems almost mentally impossible!!!!!"

Tomorrow is a REST DAY!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :cool1: :love: :bounce:

Cam-you are definately a motivator. You and all the others on this board like you are what got me involved in this little adventure. I would have never even considered this before. I came to this board in an effort to get back on my healthy eating & exercise trek. I stumbled onto this thread and 2 days later I signed up. When I saw average people like me were doing this I thought "why couldn't I do that too" "Wouldnt that be cool to be able to say 'I did that!" I am so glad to be doing this and if there were only big dogs here I would have never thought it was in the realm of my possiblity to even try it. And another thing-how many of those 5k'ers do you think are training for a marathon? Probably not many.

I go through periods of "what have I signed up for?!" but mostly I am excited & proud to be a part of this whole experience. You guys help me thru the stonkers & celebrate my little :dog: victories. Although I think anyone who attempts this whether they walk, run or crawl is a BIG :dog: All I know is that on my 1st race I WASNT LAST!!!!!! And even if I was, someone has to be last and that person has just as much right to be there as whoever was 1st.

What to all these so called "professional runners" care if us little dogs are in the race. As long as we dont get in front of them it affects them in no way at all so they should just get over it & be happy. Maybe if they had a little more fat on their body like a normal person they wouldn't be so mean :)

O.k.- yet another soap box being jumped off now

plutosmyfav said:
WARNING: Rant Mode is definitely ON!!!!!

Lisa-- Your "laundry" really hit a nerve with me.

I'm glad to air this laundry even if you all didn't really want it in your face :p I have to get my courage up for Applefest and not be too self conscious of standing out like a beached whale among athletes :blush:

I've also read a very sad story of a woman who has lost 250 lbs and walked her first 5K only to get snickers and stares from some of the elites. That is so despicable .

OK, I'll stop ranting now!

Just for clarification---I was defending the any shape/any size and this woman could stuff her certification where the sun don't shine crowd. It weren't me who made the judgement. :blush:

Terrible that the elites are like that.

Oh--and YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! We are all in the DAWG POUND!!!!! WOOF WOOF GIRLS!!!! We ROCK!!!!

TiffJ - I'm with you on the signing up so I could be part of something wonderful. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of these wonderfully inspirational athletes on this board!!

Cam - I think you did great on your 5k!!!! Most people can't even say they have done one! I think I may do a humane society furry friends run this weekend (if my legs will recover enough not to fall apart) I will have to push the boy because dh is on call. It seems like a pretty good cause and the boy would most likely be very entertained by running with all those dogs (big and little, literally!:rotfl: :rotfl: )

Liz - I'm so glad to see you post. I have been missing you!! Mostly, I wanted to let you know that your signature has MAJOR FLASH!!!!! :smooth:

As far as the soap box goes. I never finish in the front of the pack. In fact, I'm usually thrilled to be in the top half or to finish at all. Every race I ever enter, I usually am among the slower athletes, but it is always fun and I'm usually so proud I did it. I gain cherished memories and fun experiences out of it!!!!!

Speaking of fun memories, here is a link to some of the race photos from the adventure race (oops, it is at the bottom of the page)

P.S. If anyone wants to come to NW Arkansas for a free 20 mile trail run on October 29, bring it on!! You will not be looked at funny there. There are definitely some incredible athletes that do the trail run series, but they never seem to make fun of the slower ones (like me) and sometimes they have cake at that aid stations!!!!! The info is at runarkansas.com.
Adventure race pics

I'd hop up on the soapbox too, but y'all have said everything very eloquently. I spend a fair amount of pre-race time looking for people at races that look like me instead of the elite runners at the front of the pack. And when someone asks my 5K time, I always feel like I have to qualify it with 'but I walk most of the race'. One day, I do hope to run an entire 5K, but I'm trying to remember to compete against myself instead of everyone else.

My whole family's been sick too, Lisa...must be some contagious computer virus ;) I skipped my Mon 'run' and did it on Tues instead then did the scheduled W3/R2. Apparently, I packed my shin splint for that run, cause I sure found it again. Still hurting today. I have 6 miles at W3/R1 scheduled for Sat, but with DD's soccer schedule looks like it will be Sunday instead.

Liz...great to see you back! Nice bling in the siggie :smooth:

MelR...wow...quite an adventure!

Tiff... :rotfl: ...my goal for every race is not to be last. Of course, if someone has to be last it might as well be me. I can take it :teeth: Now I've increased that to not being last in my age group. I was 4th from last in the past race ;)

Sunny, Cam...you guys are the bomb! You're both very motivating and inspirational. Actually, I have last year's WISH team to thank. If they hadn't looked like they were having so much fun training for 2005, I NEVER would have thought I could do this. I just never thought people actually walked these races.

Carrie...sorry I've been so absent lately. I owe you an email from wayback.

Christa, Susan...scary stuff. Y'all stay safe. DH is now pushing for me to get some mace, but I don't think I have enough space in my pockets for anything else ;)

Helen...great to see you back!

Just a reminder to get your votes in for the Trail's End dinner. I'm actually on hold with them right now to see how many people they can physically seat at once. ;) Been on hold for awhile now...maybe when I told her we needed space for about 70 people she fainted???

solotraveler -- I LOVE the way you flipped that reasoning! Thank you. It makes me feel better, to think someone else might get from me what you all give to me. That is GREAT!! It's kind of like paying it forward -- you guys motivate me, and I will do my best to motivate someone else!

Tiff - I am so psyched to meet the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place, come January! We'll all help each other do our best and will be extraordinary for our comaraderie and passion! :goodvibes:

Mel -- Thank you so much on coordinating the Trails End dinner. I CANNOT wait to feel all the positive vibes in that room all at once!

Is anyone else getting more and more excited with each passing day? Heck, I can't even focus on Christmas because I keep looking right beyond it!

:wave2: Me here!! Sorry I have been MIA as of late. I am in some sort of funk! Ah, this too shall pass! I ahve been eating better and even getting a little walking in.

I have been reading though and am always inspired by what everybody seems to be doing! Don't have much time but wante d to say:

Cam, as always, you rock! Wow! What a pace! Keep up the good work! You are well ahead of the sweeper truck.

Mel, thanks for thinking of me! You make me feel special.....and you are ALIVE!! Wow! What an experiance. There is no way I would have even thought of doing something half as crazy as that! You go girl! Enjoy your well deserved rest day!

Sunny, I can only hope that you NEVER challenge me to run with you!! :rotfl2: You and that IC chick just amaze me. I too have to say I can't believe your self consciousness. That just seems crazy to me. But ifi it makes you feel any better, I can tell you that is something I suffer with too. I honestly think I was the fattest person at the CDC....in some ways it felt good to be the fat one....and in other ways totally intimidating. Guess you just have know that you can do what you can do and that you have worked darn hard to do what you do. I would never in a million years challenge you to any physical activity....no matter how skinny I get :rotfl2: Wanna be teh fitness guru for the red team biggest challenge? We would love to have you and the IC stop by and whip us in to shape! :rotfl2:

Helen, welcome home!!! Sounds like you are already getting in that big :pug: mode!

Well, time is up for me. Gonna head to bed as I have a very early morning. I hope to stop in a bit more often and let you know I am still alive. Good to see so many training...a friend once told me before my attemt at a half marathon, you HAVE to put the steps in......don't tell her this, but she WAS right!!!

Keep training and getting those steps~~~ :banana: :banana: :banana:

Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as thier first full please help me motivate myself.

Thank you

chersheyb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter