Week of Sep 11 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chersheyb said:
Couple of questions for other marathoners

Who is doing the marathon on Sunday only?? IF so is this your very first marathon!!
I am doing the marathon, wanted to do the half then the full in 2007 but missed registration so signed up for the full, yes this is my first marathon-- little nervous I do not want to be swept--

Where would be a good place to stay so my friends can see me (cheer for me) during the race, will be accessible for them to see me during the race maybe 2x and then at the finish-- if so how do you plan...
I am doing my first full! I did the half this past January.
I think I would recommend you to stay just about anywhere on property. There are busses to transport you to the race and expo and we managed that ok. The first part I would recommend that your people could see you would be a couple of spots, one woud be in the Magic Kingdom, but they would have to get there oh so early to make that inside. I had a lot of people cheering me on in the lot by the Contemporary. They were not "my people" but other WISHers support team. We had lime green scarfs that someone gave to us at Trails End and the family saw mine and cheered for me too. That was great and I think it was a good spot. Then they could go anywhere monorail-wise to get to another location. Monorail will travel, roads will be closed.

We are staying in BWV and I am thinking my family may be there as I am leaving MGM going toward EPCOT. That would leave them enough time to get to the finish line out front of EPCOT maybe...not sure there.

I am also thinking that others who have been before me will have better ideas, some of them have been mentioned in previous marathon weekly threads if you have time to do a search for the threads and read up.

Good luck and I look forward to meeting you.

cherseyb- I am doing just the full on Sunday too but it's not my first marathon. I've done one stand alone and two with an itty-bitty swim-bike warm up(2.4 mi/112 mi). I'm hoping/planning to run it in about 4:30 or faster so that my next one can be in about 5 hours after the little swim-bike warm up. I hate running as a stand alone sport so it's a challenge to make myself train for it but the incentive is the Mickey medal. I can't think of a better course to run a marathon on as far as changing scenery goes. We are staying at SSR for a couple of reasons.

So triathlon season ended today. :umbrella: And just when is seems like I'm starting to race my way into shape. Of course since I didn't start racing until the end of August this year, it does seem a little abbreviated. My swimmer friend and I traveled north to central ME to do a sprint tri sponsored by the Colby College Nordic Ski Team. It was a first time event and reminded of many of the smaller, more grass roots tris I started racing in back in the mid to late 90s. Ten year age groups so I missed getting an award by one place but it was still a good race. Rained though and the baby (my bike) got filthy. Most times when I've gotten that muddy, it's been an off road triathlon. BTW, swimmer friend beat me out of the water by 2 minutes but I passed her on the bike and finished 3 minutes ahead of her. And she's only 23 as opposed to my 32.

See how I'm feeling tomorrow and either ride if it's icky or run long. It's only a couple weeks until the half marathon in Portland so more long runs are more geared toward that than where I need to be in the marathon training program at this point. Have a great week every one.

Checking in to say that we are finally in our house. Don't have time to catch up now - have to get back to unpacking boxes. Haven't done much of anything else lately but pack boxes, move boxes and unpack boxes. Not even any time to swim in the "noodle soup"! If anyone ever hears me mention moving again, please lock me up somewhere! Ugh! I hate moving! Now that I am back on line, I'll get back as soon as I can to catch up. Hopefully the unpacking will go smoothly and I can get into some kind of regular training routine soon. Right now I'm thinking that training will be a whole lot easier than all this moving! :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter