Week of Sep 11 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

panthergirl said:
Don't worry, I only hate 'em once a year or so. They are a good bunch for sure, but this Sunday I'll boo them as if they were the Raiders! pirate:

Susan :paw: :paw: :paw:

Nah, I hate 'em every day! :teeth:

Krista princess:

Wow-- glad I'm not a football fan :) Hockey on the other hand...that's a WHOLE other story (Try being a Caps and Maple Leafs fan in Red Wings country... yikes!)

Krista- Best of luck tonight!! You'll do great!!

Carrie- You know it's funny, I had that same thought last night. 8 miles will be "resting??" that boggles my mind! Are you doing Race For the Cure here next weekend?? I'm thinking about it..... (But after 8 miles, who knows)

Anyhow, I seem to have come down with either allergies or a slight cold (I'm guessing allergies) so I'm not 100% right now. But, due to the wonders of Allevert, I was able to get my run in today!

I did my "easy" :rotfl2: 6-miler this morning in 57:02 or about 9:30/mile pace. I have got to figure out some way to control my pace when I start... I split the first mile at 8:57 and I feel like I paid for it later. I'm happy with the time-- I knocked a full minute off my 6-mile pace two weeks ago. :goodvibes Also, it's pouring rain here in West Michigan this morning. I decided to go ahead and run anyway-- after all, what are you going to do if it's raining on race day?? Well, I'm glad I did it, but it was kind of miserable there towards the end.

Well, got to check on the carpet cleaners who are here and then Foster Newfie will be here around 4.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

PS: Does it feel like our little group is shrinking lately?? If you're out there and training and not posting-- please check in! We want to know how you're doing! :Pinkbounc

Craig - Glad you're training again. I was worried that your toe had caused more problems than you thought it would.

As for the Patriots, I love them. My db was attached to them from a young age. Then, their addition of Mr. Brady, U of M grad, has really increased my enthusiasm. I really like that they're a hard workign teams with no real superstars, though.

Have a great weekend all!

Just for inspiration:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...er_just_wont_stop_after_257_races_in_2_years/

Link won't work. This is from the Boston Globe:

Runner just won't stop, after 257 races in 2 years
At 84, she takes the lead in a coming movie, but her own story is even more remarkable

By Jason Schwartz, Globe Correspondent | September 15, 2005

She was born in the 1920s, started running in the 1970s, and is still pounding the pavement today. Eighty-four-year-old Louise Rossetti has participated in more than 80 road races so far this year, after running 114 races in 2004 and 143 in 2003. She belongs to eight different running clubs and even has a race named after her.

''I don't play bingo," Rossetti said.

Now the Saugus resident is taking her passion to a new level. She was recently cast to play the title character in the locally produced independent film, ''Run, Grammie, Run."

It's the story of a 75-year-old woman who wants to reinvigorate herself after years of growing increasingly depressed while watching her friends slow down and pass away. Deciding that she needs to do something big, she determines to try qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

Although Rossetti has absolutely no experience in the performing arts and is almost a decade older than the character she plays, she never hesitated when offered the starring role.

''I'll do anything to support the sport of running," she said.

Rossetti is particularly interested in promoting the sport to seniors and women, even if it means running a little bit less herself.

''She's giving up some races specifically so she can be in the movie," said David Singer, the film's writer, a first-time producer and director. ''I think she sees it as a tradeoff. She's still able to get her message out, [but] it's a different vehicle."

Singer, who is based in Lakeville, is financing the movie. He has bet $50,000 of his own money on the chance that Rossetti's onscreen performance will prove every bit as remarkable as her running career.

''You can teach somebody to act," he said, ''but you can't teach somebody how to run." In fact, he designed the Grammie role knowing that an experienced runner, and not necessarily an experienced actor, would play it. He is convinced that authentic-looking running scenes are vital to his movie's success.

Rossetti did not become an authentic runner until she was 50. She had always been interested in athletic activities, particularly swimming, but had never participated in a race or contest. Women just didn't do that sort of thing.

That all changed for her one day in 1971 while she was participating in a physical education class at the Lynn YMCA.

''The phys-ed director had us running around the suspended track," Rossetti said. ''I said, gee, can't we go outside and run?"

Rossetti has seldom stopped running outside since. Although knee problems forced her to stop participating in the annual race to the top of Mount Washington, she still holds the women's time record for the over-75 age bracket. In 2000, she carried the Olympic torch through Charlestown.

Page 2 of 2 --

''I enjoy it," she said. ''It gets the blood circulating. It makes you feel good."

But the ever-humble runner constantly laments that she is getting slower and slower, as her miles clock in these days at between 15 and 20 minutes. She can no longer run races longer than 5 kilometers.

''I get a big applause when I finally come in," Rossetti said. ''They're all glad to see me, because the race is over and the festivities can begin."

Running has also been a refuge for Rossetti.

Twenty-six years ago her daughter, Suzanne, was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by two drifters in Arizona. She had locked herself out of her car, and the two men helped her get back in.

In gratitude, Suzanne offered them a ride and a six pack of beer. She did not know that they were both psychopaths with long criminal records.

''That was a terrible thing; I had a hard time getting over that." Rossetti said.

Still, she did not throw herself completely into the sport until her husband, Peter, died in his sleep in 1993.

''Because I didn't have him to go out with at nighttime, I started to add more races all the time," Rossetti said.

The memory of her husband and daughter remain etched into Rossetti's life as a runner. The proceeds of the Rossetti Women's 5K Race held annually in Louise's honor go to the Peter A. Rossetti and Suzanne Maria Rossetti scholarship fund, which benefits graduates of Saugus High School, as well as the Northeast Metropolitan Vocational School, which Peter helped to found.

Despite tragedy, the Rossetti family has persevered.

''Everybody's there for one another," said her 53-year-old daughter, Donna Rossetti-Bailey, who added that either she or her older brother Peter are always by their mother's side throughout the course of her day.

''We were always close," Rossetti said. ''An Italian family, we're close."

Her acting coach, Marianna Scarpellini, believes that this family closeness projects through the camera.

''Because she has such a close family tie in her life and there's so much love in her family, that part of her comes through," Scarpellini said.

Singer discovered Rossetti simply by scanning through race results. Her name ''kept popping up," and she finished with consistently good times for her age. After determining that Louise was ''highly photogenic" based on pictures he found on the internet Singer arranged for an audition.

''Louise was wonderful," he recalls.

Although her octogenarian pupil has sometimes struggled with remembering all her lines, Scarpellini said, she is ''very natural" and ''quick with improvisation."

Both the director and coach agree that Rossetti's transition into acting has been eased by the many parallels between Rossetti's life and ''Grammie's."

But Rossetti sees this issue from a different angle. She believes that the most difficult part of playing the role has been coming to grips with the many subtle, yet significant, differences between the Grammie character and herself.

''It is challenging," she said. ''I'm not accustomed to doing something other than being Louise Rossetti."

The hard work has just begun for Rossetti and the rest of the film's cast, though. The majority of the film's scenes remain to be shot. Once the film is completed, Singer hopes to be able to sell it to a cable television network. There will also be an abbreviated version posted on the internet.

The planned release of ''Run, Grammie, Run" is the holiday season of 2006, by which time Rossetti will be still another year older, but chances are she won't look it. Indeed, she takes it as a compliment that she is an 84-year-old playing a part that is meant for somebody nine years her junior.

''It is pretty neat," she said. ''Nobody ever guesses that I'm 84."

''I feel very honored and very humbled about the whole thing. I'm just an old runner who's getting slower and slower."
© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.

Sounds like a great movie!

Hi, everyone! I am, ahem, one of those who has been MIA. Sorry about that. I have been overwhelmed with so much stuff including the prospect and reality of emptying my parents' house so it can be sold, and incredibly demanding schedules for kids which includes cross-country, marching band, school work and many, many meetings.

Have not had much time to wog or cross-train, but did 3.5 miles on the TM Wednesday night and am doing another 5K this Sunday. It's a fundraiser for DS12's school to maintain their athletic fields. This is one where I shouldn't be among the slowest in the pack, as many moms strolled it together last year, chatting and laughing (that was pre-surgery days for me, so I didn't even dream of trying it). I am just hoping no one thinks I am being anti-social because I plan to wog it on my own at my own pace, in an effort to beat my 9/3 time of 47:24. I am a tiny bit intimidated because I don't know the course at all or even that part of town, so I will probably ask DH if we can go drive the route or maybe even walk it tonight.

KeenHo hasn't posted recently, but he is working hard training for a 15K in early October and has already exceeded the miles, doing about 11 at least one day a week. He just told me he plans to run a marathon here in DE in May. I am hoping we might motivate ourselves and find it in our pocketbooks to do the DL 1/2 next September, but with DD off at her first semester of college, and DS just back to school at that point, not sure if it will work out. I am already anticipating the anti-climax of post WDW1/2 blues and worried about staying motivated to continue to lose weight, etc., so it would be great to have that trip to look forward to.

Okay, first I don't post in forever, and then I write a book. Just really wanted to thank everyone for the inspiration you provide even when you don't know it! :grouphug: Keep up the awesome training everyone!

solo - We must have crossed replies. No, no race fro the cure. I have to somehpow run 8 miles, work at the Harbor Humane Society Dog walk in West Olive, do a scrapbooking class in Muskegon and then head to EGR for a social gathering. I think I'll be up extra early. Kind of scary.

My training schedule is a mess these days. Just went back to working in the real world this week. Now I have to wear shoes to work and I miss my two hours of ER and TNG re-runs everyday ;) And DD12s soccer season has started so we're now traveling all over the state every Saturday. There has been no cross training, but I haven't missed any runs...my long runs are just getting done on Fri now. I'm on my first week of week 5 of the MFM W/R program, but I stretched the long run to 4 miles instead of 3.

And now...drumroll please.... :rockband:

Today's pace is.....

14:47! :thewave: :thewave:

Yes, that's right...sub 15 min! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I'd like to thank the Academy and John Bingham for my training, my WISH team friends for all their inspiration and encouragement, my mother for raising me to be stubborn and obnoxious enough to just decide one day that I'm going to participate in a half marathon, and my family for supporting my training schedule and races ;)
Seriously, though, I couldn't be more thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's hope for me yet!

Good luck to everyone in their races this weekend! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Being from FL, I have no feelings one way or the other toward the Pats, but I have always found the Cowboys and Bills to be a bit irritating :teeth:

Mel -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :cheer2: That is sooooo awesome! You must be incredibly proud of yourself!

Have a great weekend!

I did my long run today, 6 miles, which yes felt short compared to the 8 miles from last week. I averaged 10:21 mph, which is great for me, our city is really hilly and it was hot this morning. I was having trouble with my knee and what I thought was an IT band problem. A friend of mine is a PT and she said that I needed to stretch my quad more, well, I stretched last night and iced like crazy and it was like the pain was slowly releasing. It felt awesome. So moral of the story... Be sure you are stretching!!! Muscles need to be elongated to grow strong and healthy!

Mel, that is awesome! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc You should be so proud of yourself! The endurance and speed will just keep improving.

Cam, good to hear from you! I personally love your long-winded "books". It is really good to hear how everyone is doing.

Solo, glad you had a nice "easy" 6 miler today too! Isn't it amazing! Just think what we will be doing in 4-6 weeks!!

Helen, safe travels home! Very impressed you have been able to keep up with your training. You go girl.

Txbelle, glad your ankle is feeling better! Keep on trucking everyone!!

Colleen

Craig - glad you are among the living!!!! We miss your wit and wisdom. Hope your school schedule calms down a bit!

Mel - Way to go!!!!!! :cool1:

Colleen - Good job on your long run! My pace for the longer runs is usually around 10:30. Maybe we will run into each other on the marathon course. I do mostly hilly runs as well (there is basically no other option around here)

So I'm fighting the ankle thing again. I think I did a run last week without stretching enough. I think my calf gets really tight and pulls on something in my ankle. I have been stretching every time I think about it!

I did an 8 mile run on thurs while the boy was in preschool. I am doing a 16 week program, so I don't officially start until next week. I'm not starting next week because I am tapering for the 100 mile adventure race (where, as I mentioned, I'm going to die!!!) I also biked for about 40 minutes on thurs and mountain biked for 30 today. Of course I crashed and now have a HUGE bruise on the back of my good leg! In the words of napoleon dynamite "DANG IT!" I think I am going to mt. bike again this weekend, including a night ride with my team, where I am going to die! I hope to run once more before the race. Oh yeah, kayaking with a friend's dad on monday!

Happy training.

MelRhoads said:
Colleen - Good job on your long run! My pace for the longer runs is usually around 10:30. Maybe we will run into each other on the marathon course.

Are you doing the marathon? That would be great to meet up on the course somewhere. If you or any other 10+ mph marathoners want to join into a little band of marauders, that would be great. After all, we will need to take pictures along the way too!! No pressure, if it doesn't work out, we can also go our separate ways. My main goal is the just have fun!!

Keep working on that ankle! I really felt the stretching, advil and icing really helped me. Btw, which plan are you doing?

Colleen

Mel-- Kudos :cheer2: Your acceptance speach was great :rotfl:

Colleen-- glad you found a cure for your knee pain. I may join you and MelR in the 10:30 stream, but I'm hoping I don't no offense!!!!

Cam-- don't worry about being a snob on the walk. Those ladies will be green with envy ::yes::

I did an easy run on the TM tonight. 6.0 mph no hills, virtually effortless. It was really nice to not be pushing. I did 5.5 miles. The weather looks like there will be no LR tomorrow :crazy2: I will go stir crazy. Sunday should be pleasant, if not, I'll take a couple hours of vacation on Monday to get it in.

I seemed to be carbo-loading for an Ultra today :rolleyes2 Maybe the IC is planning something I'm not away of :rotfl2:

I'm tempted to head up to NH and checkout the half route. Maybe I can drive it with my Garmine out the window so I can get the altitude profile! I keep re-reading the course description.

Sunny

Colleen-I'm total game to meeting up somewhere. I am actually doing goofy, so I may not be able to maintain 10:30 pace depending on how the 1/2 goes. Will we start in the same corral?

Sunny - maybe you can wait for us at the end and cheer!!!! :flower: At local races, my EC, mean marathon girl, comes back to get me and runs the finish with me! You could do that!!! :cheer2:

Good morning everyone! I'm taking today off and doing my long run--5 miles tomorrow. Well my 5K was AWESOME last night! I crushed my PR big time, I finished in 36:04!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: The other 5K I did, I finished in 39:04, so I beat my PR by 3 minutes!! I was so psyched when I came across the finish line. And my other big news: I ran a majority of the course! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: Stephen ran the 5k too, he stayed with me for the 1st 1/2 mile or so, but then I told him to go on. He finished in 24:something. And no knee problems! :cheer2:

Mel--Awesome on your sub 15:00! You are doing awesome!! Keep it up!

Colleen--I'm so glad that your knee is feeling better. Keep stretching and icing and you'll be fine. I'm learning from Stephen's mistakes what NOT to do and I think stretching is the main culprit in a lot of running injuries.

I'll talk to all later! Happy training!

Krista princess:

Krista, what an awesome improvement! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc That is great! I really enjoy running in the evenings. Good work.

MelRhoads said:
Colleen-I'm total game to meeting up somewhere. I am actually doing goofy, so I may not be able to maintain 10:30 pace depending on how the 1/2 goes. Will we start in the same corral?
:

Melissa, when I registered, I put down my 1/2 marathon time of 2:14, so I guess that will dictate what corral I am in. I guess we can compare our corrals at Trails End. Were you able to put down a past race time?

Oh, Sunny, that would be great if you wanted to join us, but I fully expect you will be well on your way to a 9 mph marathon!! Like MelR said, just wave at us at the finish line and we can all join in a big group hug! :grouphug:

Craig, good to hear from you. Glad everything is going well for you and DW!

Colleen

princessmomma said:
Like MelR said, just wave at us at the finish line and we can all join in a big group hug! :grouphug:

That'll be one STINKY hug :rotfl2:

Kirsta- Woo Hoo you GO girl!!!!! Great job. I'm so happy for you :cloud9:

Well its not really raining, but I didn't get up for my LR because of the unpredictable weather today. Its 96% humidity so I probably would have been a puddle anyway. Hoping for better weather tomorrow :wizard:

Sunny

Krista- WTG on that 5K time...that's fantatstic!! Great job! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mel- Wonderful job with the sub-15:00 pace! You'll be leaving those sweep vans in the dust! No problem!!

Solotraveler :earsboy:

I did 4 miles today in 58:30. My ankle still feels good. I then worked in the yard weeding the flower beds for one and a half hours. I need a rest.

Is there anyone out there planning to walk 3/run 2 for the half? :flower:

Couple of questions for other marathoners

Who is doing the marathon on Sunday only?? IF so is this your very first marathon!!
I am doing the marathon, wanted to do the half then the full in 2007 but missed registration so signed up for the full, yes this is my first marathon-- little nervous I do not want to be swept--

Where would be a good place to stay so my friends can see me (cheer for me) during the race, will be accessible for them to see me during the race maybe 2x and then at the finish-- if so how do you plan

Took today off the rest for my long run of 1.5 -2 hours tom. morning

Any info to ease my mind will help
Thnks
chersheyb

Hi WISH Team!
I have lots to say, but figured that I'd post this link another DISer has of the "stuff" we got/paid for on the Members Cruise. The only thing missing in this is the Original signed litho from Ducky Williams. We will be framing that soon and we are not selling our things on ebay.

Someone is selling their Stuff we got from the cruise so I thought I'd post up this link so you could "see" some of what we received/paid for. There is a signed litho that is not part of this lot that we received. Signed by Ducky Williams, and we will be framing that for sure.

Every night we received something. It was an adventure just going to the room to see the goodies left along with the towel art.

We had a great trip. I will toss in more tidbits later.

I will need to read this entire week's report from everyone. Sorry that I have not read it and the new week starts so soon. This is why I thought to put up my link here so as to not take up next week's thread and I figure all are about done with this week's reporting.

Lisa, so sorry that we were oh so close and weren't able to hook up for a bit. Hope you are all doing well. Will look forward to chatting you up in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter