Wedding gift - gift receipt

The purpose of gift registries was never to prevent duplicates. Quite frankly none of the registries are administered well enough to do that even if everyone buys at the same store.

Actually, that *is* one of the purposes of a gift registry.

I don't think you are over-reacting at all.

I'm sorry that so many people today are SO self centered and obnoxious that all they can think about is "HOW CAN I MAXIMIZE MY LOOT".

The purpose of gift registries was never to prevent duplicates. Quite frankly none of the registries are administered well enough to do that even if everyone buys at the same store.

Gift registries are to give people an idea of what you might want. Like what is your china, silver, crystal pattern. It is not an ultimatum - YOU MUST BUY ME X.

No one is required to give any gift. No one is required to give from the registry. No one is required to only buy from specific stores.

If people receive duplicate items - IT IS THEIR PROBLEM TO DEAL WITH IT.

It is unbelievably rude to call someone and tell them that you want to return their gift - for any reason.

The only time it is appropriate to return a gift is if the wedding is called off and then the gift is returned to the sender - not to the store for a credit.

OP - I do think though that you should let it go. These people have no "couth" and are obnoxious. Just remember that the next time they try a gift grab.

DH and I got married in the dark ages when crockpots were just becoming popular. We received 14. There's no way we would have been able to use/store that many so we returned several (gift receipts weren't required) and re-gifted others. Since my hometown was out of state we had both a reception and open house. Friends in both places wanted to join is in celebrating our marriage. This was back before Target (and other chain stores) had online registries so we had separate registries. We received enough china to return for store credit and bought a small television with it. Should we have included a "no gifts please" clause on the invitation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter