Wearing a white room robe to the Main DR...

Was this the first night?

Let's not be so judgmental. We don't know her circumstances.​

Most cruise lines expect the first night to be more casual as not everyone may have gotten their luggage in time for dinner. She surely did not wear the robe onto the ship - she absolutely could have remained in her boarding clothes for dinner the first night.

Most cruise lines expect the first night to be more casual as not everyone may have gotten their luggage in time for dinner. She surely did not wear the robe onto the ship - she absolutely could have remained in her boarding clothes for dinner the first night.
Not necessarily. Sometimes accidents happen or unexpected surprises in a woman’s monthly cycle can effect one’s choice of clothing.

But wearing a robe in the main dining rooms isn't against the "rules". The only dress code DCL has is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Nothing about PJs, robes, shorts, ripped jeans, tutus, whatever anyone wants to wear.

I'm not defending the right to wear a robe to dinner, just pointing out it's not prohibited.

Is it "bad taste"? I think so. Do people exhibit bad taste? Yes.

I find it puzzling that the whole cruise vibe (or "feel", if you will) is being systematically eliminated. Anyone ever watch a movie or TV show that takes place on a ship? Shared tables (heaven forbid, you mean I have to eat with strangers?!), tipping (I already pay enough for the cruise, why should I tip?), dressing for dinner (It's my vacation, I'll dress as I like), wearing life jackets to muster (who cares if I take the jacket off before returning to my room, if someone trips on the straps, it's on them). All those things were the norm. Sadly, it seems, cruising is not the experience it used to be.

My thing is this, the rules can't/shouldn't have to cover every scenario possible. When they said there is a dress code, and that no swimsuits and tank tops are to be worn, I guess they hadn't factored in that someone would wear their pj's or a bathrobe to the MDR. Maybe Cabana's, but not to an MDR, which is standardly known as more of nice attire. I don't think it's about being judgemental, but more of a disappointment of expectations. You expect that everyone will take the MDR dress code to heart and play along with the "dress up for dinner" and when they don't, it's a let-down. The majority wants their MDR dining experience to stay nice and at a certain level. If everyone starts wearing pj's or bathrobes to dinner, then it just becomes the Wal-Mart of the seas. :smooth:

Does someone wearing a white robe to dinner take away from my dining experience, IMO no but it makes a good conversation point. We've had cosplay dressed people always wearing the same anime outfit every time seen around the ship and at meals, people with stuffed animals or dolls with them, those pushing the limits of the rules that do exist and those not breaking the rules but just make you wonder what they were thinking - to me this person falls in the latter category.

I find meals/cruises where I am bored in the MDR's I am more critical and more readily critique those at the tables around and we have meals/cruises where we literally were unaware of anyone around us as we enjoyed the company of our table companions. I'd be worried more of the high maintenance tables where servers need to cut up the food of the kids every meals and those tables than seemingly have the servers at non-stop. Those type of tables will more impact my experience than what someone is wearing to the dining room.

Sitting at my desk in my business casual attire that was nothing less than a suit and tie every day but jeans Friday 25 years ago (and jeans Friday was so controversial when introduced). Times change and society is becoming more casual in general and Disney is just reflecting that in what you see on-board and in what they'll allow. I used to bring a suit each cruise, then a jacket and pants, now I save the room and bring nice pants and a button down and guess what - I don't enjoy my cruises any less. Some may not like but a young family oriented cruise line like Disney will be and should be at the front of such changes. Now I just need to figure out what I can avoid packing to make room for my dressy bathrobe next cruise.

What did this person have on under the robe?
Assuming they had on clothes of any kind more then underwear, I don’t see why people are upset. Have a friend who cruises multiple times a year and one dinner per cruise they all wear their robes over shorts and a t-shirt. Nobody has ever complained and they consider it one of the highlights of their cruise.

Don’t know why so many people are upset about it. It’s all in good fun.

It was not the first night. I believe it was actually the last night. I can't say what she wore on the other nights because before the robe, she wasn't noticed by anyone in our group so I'd guess she had normal clothes somewhere.

As to what was underneath, I have no idea. The robe was closed and tied and you couldn't see any indication of other clothes.

Assuming they had on clothes of any kind more then underwear, I don’t see why people are upset. Have a friend who cruises multiple times a year and one dinner per cruise they all wear their robes over shorts and a t-shirt. Nobody has ever complained and they consider it one of the highlights of their cruise.

Don’t know why so many people are upset about it. It’s all in good fun.
Okay I don't really care what people wear, but how is wearing a robe over shorts and t-shirt fun? Is it supposed to be funny? I honestly just don't get it.

Other people’s clothes don’t affect the taste of my steak or interfere with the conversation with my family so doesn’t bother me. The problem with dress codes is that everyone’s “style” is different. I’ve seen some woman dressed like that are about to walk on stage at adult club in Vegas. I’ve seen men where cheap wrinkled jackets and pants. To me these are offensive but fit the ‘dress code’. But my opinions shouldn’t affect other people’s choices just like theirs don’t affect mine.

Okay I don't really care what people wear, but how is wearing a robe over shorts and t-shirt fun? Is it supposed to be funny? I honestly just don't get it.
probably just the whimsy of going to dinner in a bathrobe while making sure any wardrobe malfunctions don't result in flashing the entire dining room.

Your server on a Disney cruise being in unwashed pajamas is a MUCH different issue than a fellow cruiser wearing a robe in the dining room, and isn't comparable.

I honestly don't understand why people are assuming the worst of this woman. Maybe she was cold. Maybe she had a major clothing issue. Maybe she got badly sunburned, and the robe was the only thing she could wear without pain. She still deserves her dinner.

Definitely wasn't sunburn. Those robes are sandpaper on burnt skin. That happened to me on the last cruise. We had room service that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!