Wearing a white room robe to the Main DR...

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Birdie dog, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Birdie dog

Birdie dog Mouseketeer

I am a conservative packer. I don't carry evening gowns for a Disney cruise. (I generally carry one-two black dresses for Palo and formal night). I generally don't care what anyone else around me is doing- not my cruise nor my problem. For our Merry Time cruise several families came to the MDR in matching PJ's. Though wouldn't do it (group of traveling adults), it's cute enough. However... showing up for dinner wearing a white spa, room robe is inappropriate. Seriously. That is all.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. Geomom

Geomom DIS Veteran

Yikes. In my opinion...you can wear robes in your room and to/from the pool and spa...that way you're not walking around the ship in a bathing suit alone...but I would never go to the MDR's wearing one! There's casual...and then there is inappropriate.

scgustafson, NancyIL, cvaska and 3 others like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. AgentMama

AgentMama Mouseketeer

Oh my. I don't think people should dress up if they don't want to. We used to, but now, we generally feel like when we're on vacation, we don't want the pressure of having to wear formal clothes. I agree with the above poster that a robe in the MDR seems to be crossing a line into inappropriate.

Lilsia and MillauFr like this.
  5. CamColt

CamColt Moderator Moderator

:earseek:That's different!

6. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

Wow, can anyone think of a reason it should be allowed??

7. dcassetta

dcassetta DIS Veteran

Sure. "I'm on vacation and spent a lot of money and should be able to wear what I want."

:rolleyes1

Madame, tcufrog, n2mm and 5 others like this.
  8. lorimay

lorimay My littlest Loves

Hahaha.... It must have been fun to watch others follow them with their eyes........

jiminyC_fan likes this.
  9. Birdie dog

Birdie dog Mouseketeer

We seriously paid zero attention to the people around us the whole trip but we were at dinner and my friend was like, "What the hellll? She's wearing a spa robe!" I thought she was mistaken. She wasn't. However, the lady was in full make-up.

10. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

I guess they are used to on-board toga parties?? Not on my cruise lines of choice, but...

11. lorimay

lorimay My littlest Loves

I have seen people in Cabana's for breakfast in their PJ's.

n2mm likes this.
  12. Meglen

Meglen Mouseketeer

Maybe they had a spa reservation and it ran long and just went from there to eat? As long as I'm not looking at naked bits you can wear anything.

13. Geomom

Geomom DIS Veteran

I don't 'think' I'd be bothered by what people wear in Cabanas...I'd expect a spa robe there due to the proximity of the pool. I'm 'okay' with pj's there as well.

The MDR's have a higher standard for me, no matter what time of day...lol, and that standard is t-shirt/jeans or shorts...although we will dress up a bit for semi and formal nights. For me, the MDR's should involve clothing you'd wear out of the house, lol.

OP--that is just so odd to have full makeup AND a white robe...maybe her dress didn't come back from drycleaning on time and that was her way of protesting? Or her family made her leave at that time no matter what she had on? So odd!

Lilsia, kirstenb1, OrcaPotter and 3 others like this.
  14. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

The OP said she had full make-up on. I've never come from a spa treatment with full make-up on - and I think I'd rather be dressed appropriately than bother putting on a fake face if I stunk at my reservation timing and had to rush.

ChicosWife and Maggie'sMom like this.
  15. TestingH2O

TestingH2O DIS Veteran

This is a hilarious explanation. I've had moments of wanting to do this to DH and DD.

16. DWillowBay

DWillowBay DIS Veteran

Yikes! New low!

ChicosWife likes this.
  17. MomOTwins

MomOTwins The Mommy Fairy

The only thing that I can possibly think of is that the airline lost her luggage and she had nothing to wear, and her clothes from traveling were tied up at the laundry. But even then.... gift shop!

18. Sunshine2U

Sunshine2U Disney Nana

Luggage lost. Make up in carry on bag. Hair salon. Robe is her formal wear. Day wear is a beach towel. Boom. :flower1:

19. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

I was on a Merrytime Cruise this year as well and I was shocked at how many adults were walking around at breakfast and around the ship at other times in holiday PJ's. Then I realized they were probably dressing like that for Christmas Photos with the family. The FB group for that cruise did have a meet up in the MDR the first morning for breakfast and we went to watch from afar (and have breakfast)....there must have been at least 75 people in the their PJ's in Lumiere's. I can see that...it was an organized thing but I can't really think of any explanation that a spa robe would be appropriate in the MDR.

MJ

NancyIL likes this.
  20. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS veteran

But, as with a lot of stuff on DCL lately, it's a slippery slope. You allow matching PJs "because it's cute", how can you say "sorry, can't wear bathrobe in MDR"?

I'm not supporting it, in fact, I'm all for stricter monitoring of the "dress code", but that's what I see happening.

All it takes is for someone to say "It's my cruise, you can't tell me how to dress." to bring things down for everyone.

21. DCLDVC1

DCLDVC1 DCL Concierge Guru / Soon to be DVC Guru

That's unacceptable if it was after Labor Day.

Madame, tcufrog, NancyIL and 31 others like this.