We just bought Into The Wyndham Timeshare Points system

How do resale points work?

The same a retail points.

The only difference between buying your points resale vs. retail (besides the obvious MAJOR cost advantage) is that your points won't count towards VIP status.

And VIP status is not nearly worth the cost difference for the perks you get, and which are subject to change at any time [and have been reduced in the past]

laceyinwonderland said:
Id love to see someone on this thread share some info on renting wyndham points! Im been wondering this myself!

There's rental information on the We Looooooove Wyndham Bonnet Creek thread.

Id love to see someone on this thread share some info on renting wyndham points! Im been wondering this myself!
With Wyndham you don't rent points, you rent reservations. Lots of them are available on ebay and redweek.com.

Renting points is a DVC thing that does not translate to Wyndham.

I think the link for the Wyndham owners site has changed, so I'll post it again:

http://www.wyndhamowners.org/Forums.aspx

The bulk of our Wyndham points are deeded at Wyndham Smoky Mts in Gatlinburg (low fees) and I picked up a new contract off Ebay that I'm waiting to close on that's a Club Access contract (club points with no deed). It's a good system. The only drawback is the pushy sales people. Once you get past them, it's a terrific system with lots of internal locations (especially along the east coast and Hawaii).

With Wyndham you don't rent points, you rent reservations. Lots of them are available on ebay and redweek.com.

Renting points is a DVC thing that does not translate to Wyndham.

Shows how much I know!? Thanks for the info! cant wait to check out the thread and websites! :)

The bulk of our Wyndham points are deeded at Wyndham Smoky Mts in Gatlinburg (low fees) and I picked up a new contract off Ebay that I'm waiting to close on that's a Club Access contract (club points with no deed). It's a good system. The only drawback is the pushy sales people. Once you get past them, it's a terrific system with lots of internal locations (especially along the east coast and Hawaii).
To amplify on my neighbor's (at Great Smoky Mountains) comments, the value of any timeshare system is primarily within its own internal system. Some timeshares are individual resorts alone, and everything else is done through exchange companies (RCI, II, etc). However, there are several larger systems which have multiple resorts (Hilton, Wyndham, Starwood, Sheraton, Marriott, Disney, et al).

With those internal systems, you are going to get comparable quality accommodations and value anywhere you go in the system, and reservations are usually much easier to make than trying to do an exchange.

Wyndham is one of the larger systems, with a total of about 90 Wyndham timeshare resorts (not counting associates and affiliates) in their system. For further info on their resorts, go to www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com and click on Explore Our Resorts. (as others have said, Wyndham's sales force is as bad as the resorts are good -- stay away from them)

Disney Vacation Club is probably the smallest major system with 11 resorts, seven of which are at WDW. When the new Grand Floridian DVC opens, they will have 12, with 8 at WDW.

Thank you so much for your concern! I actually bought off ebay for $1 with closing costs ($550)! 259000 points, 120 a month maintenance fees. I truly appreciate the concern as I know it's crazy out there!

wait.
you pay 120 a MONTH?? every month???
how is that a good deal?:confused3

$120/month = $1440 per year
$1440 for 259k points = $5.55 per 1,000 points

1 week at Bonnet Creek in a 2BR during value season = 112k points =$89 per night

And the PP's maintenance fees aren't even especially low. Mine are $4.50 per thousand points, so I get the same week for $72/night.

How is that NOT a good deal?

Yes, do join both the owners forum (forums.atozed.com) and TUG (www.tug2.net). Be forewarned that the forums at both locations can be a little negative---every time Wyndham makes some change to e.g. the VIP program, or how Wyndham works in RCI, you'd think that they'd killed everyone's puppy.

In some ways very much like the DIS. We own RCI and love it. There are lots of places to stay in Orlando - I use TripAdviser a lot - but again ta lot of the reviews tend to be negative over petty issues. Just another resource. We have stayed at Star Island, Polynesian Isles and Cypress Palms in addition to Bonnet Creek - all nice places to stay.

We are in kind of a special situation. Even tough we own through RCI we always us those points at our home resort in the Berkshires. We love going there.

I am retired military, so when we go elsewhere, mostly to Disney, we rent through Armed Forces Vacation Club. No fees, no maintenance - nothing else. And there are other similar sites not affiliated with the military. I'm sorry though that I don't know what they are - I've never had to look. We are going to Disney for 4 weeks in the fall - $300/week plus taxes which ends up being $43/night. Selection is sometimes limited and some of the resort choices are not the best but there are several good ones. Regular price now is $349/week and there are more available at increased rates.

In the past 3 years we have stayed 7 weeks at Wyndham/RCI resorts in Orlando using this site and have had 7 good weeks of vacation. We have stayed in other places too but Orlando is still our favorite. Not a bad deal.

My Father In Law owns Wyndham points. I'm curious as to what happens when he dies. Does his estate owe anything in regards to maintenance fees? Does his contract with them just end? He isn't sure how that works, so I told him I'd ask here.

My Father In Law owns Wyndham points. I'm curious as to what happens when he dies. Does his estate owe anything in regards to maintenance fees? Does his contract with them just end? He isn't sure how that works, so I told him I'd ask here.

Wyndham contracts are deeded, So it would be handled just like any other deeded property.

Someplace like TUG or the Wyndham's Owners forum might have people more familiar with the specifics on how Wyndham handles such situations. He can also (or you on his behalf,) contact Wyndham directly and inquire about what their requirements and procedures are. I believe that inheriting the contract may be the only way Wyndham will waive the transfer fees or allow you to keep any VIP status or eligibility on the points.

Based on my family's usage, I've found that renting timeshares is cheaper than owning them -- even when you can buy one for $1. Remember, as an owner you are committing to a lifetime of maintenance and other fees.

Owning a TS has given us access to deals we wouldn't have been able to use otherwise, so I don't think it's always true that renting is cheaper than owning. I suspect it's generally true, though.

Owning is more convenient and carries a different kind of risk. The main risk with owning is being unable to get rid of the ownership when or if you can't use it; the risks with renting are that the unit isn't what you expected in an ugly way, or the owner didn't make the reservation properly, or otherwise a problem on vacation.

Plus owning forces you to take vacations or waste your maintenance fees, and some of need that boot to get vacations on the schedule. ;)

His estate will be responsible for the maintenance fees, and a good estate lawyer will do his level best to move that TS right out of there. :p When there's no real estate to pay the money out, and no one in the family wants the TS, some people just walk away from it and hope the TS developer/points company will reclaim the thing.

I would ask on TUG or Timeshare Forums for people's experience with Wyndham, but the general rule is that the estate is supposed to take up that responsibility. Some Timeshares do have an end point (DVC contracts do), and a lot of particular resorts have a contract somewhere that has the owners vote to continue on a particular date (and if they vote to continue, the bills will keep coming in whether than was how you voted or not). But generally, timeshares aren't for life; they're for eternity! :eek: :eek: :teeth:

We LOVE owning at Bonnet Creek (resale of course!). We have saved lots of $$ by purchasing and since the only time we can travel is at high season, we have already saved tons of money by owning rather than by renting. I would highly recommend anybody considering to purchase to look on TUG and to do a lot of research before committing to anything. I tracked the resale prices for 6 years before we finally tool the plunge. We haven't looked back yet and have only had terrific experiences so far with the Wyndham resorts! :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter