We Have Returned

I did got see WOC with a FP, last show of the night. I was a bit underwhelmed, maybe it was just being tired.

This is how DH and I felt about WoC, and we didn't see it late enough into our trip to be that tired yet. It's not that we disliked the show really; underwhelmed was the perfect word for it. Even DS9 and DS10 said afterwards that they felt the show didn't live up to the hype, and if we decide to spend a lot of time waiting for a show again, they would rather it be Fantasmic which they have seen a bunch of times. We have decided that we will try to see WoC again sometime; it's just not a high priority for us.

Sorry about not posting, had to work a 14 hour day yesterday and today does not look any better, hope to finish this thread off later today.
Last Friday was our final day to get things done and for the girls to finish up shopping. I did got see WOC with a FP, last show of the night. I was a bit underwhelmed, maybe it was just being tired.
Spent half the day or it seems like it riding the MWoD. I found this very relaxing and the CM just let me go as long as the line did not pick up.

More later,

Jack

This is how DH and I felt about WoC, and we didn't see it late enough into our trip to be that tired yet. It's not that we disliked the show really; underwhelmed was the perfect word for it. Even DS9 and DS10 said afterwards that they felt the show didn't live up to the hype, and if we decide to spend a lot of time waiting for a show again, they would rather it be Fantasmic which they have seen a bunch of times. We have decided that we will try to see WoC again sometime; it's just not a high priority for us.
Over time the different opinions on WOC will sort themselves out. I saw it twice and am going to venture an opinion of my own. Maybe more of an educated guess. :confused3

1. We saw WOC the first time with an Ariel's Grotto preferred dining package. (I know BlackJack had that planned but had to cancel - which is a bummer). For us it was the second day of our trip and we took it easy that day at DCA. The weather was sunny but cool for July - mid-to-high 70's. We had dinner at 5:30 and the dinner was great. We got in line for WOC just before 7PM and got a position on the front rail for the 9PM show - which was almost totally unobstructed. All seven of us thought WOC was absolutely spectacular. I wrote up my thoughts on WOC while the emotion was fresh on the following day. Here is a link FWIW: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2520975

2. I went solo to see WOC on our final night. I got a FP for the 11:15PM show in the yellow section. After a long day which itself was after four full days in the parks I was tired. I had a decent viewing spot but not great. WOC did not seem as good the second time. I was not sure if I felt that way because it was the second time and not the first, or because it was late and I was very tired, or because the viewing area was not as good. I think it was the latter two reasons. Everyone around me in line before the show was really dragging and most all the kids were falling asleep on their parents. I did not see that on the first night when we were there at 9PM because of course it was earlier.

3. It has been 10 years since we have seen Fantasmic at 9PM. Ever since we have seen the 10:30 show. I like Fantasmic a lot, and my kids thought it was pretty good. Last month we did something we have never done and got reserved dessert package seating - for the 9PM show. My kids really enjoyed Fantasmic more than ever before. DS15 went so far as to say he had never grasped the storyline of Fantasmic before last month. I think it was largely because we saw it so late at night and kids were just plain more tired.

What I surmise about WOC is that your opinion of it varies greatly with how tired you are (and the lateness of the show) and your viewing area - and of course how tall you are. On our first viewing I could not imagine anyone not liking WOC and being overwhelmed like we were. On my second viewing I could imagine how someone might be underwhelmed. I was tired and had to drag myself there to see it again that late at night. And my view was quite average compared to the rail in preferred.

I might be wrong, but if I am right - and I think I am - then your experience seeing WOC (and your opinion afterwards) will be much better if you can see the early show at 9PM (or 8PM on some days next month) and if you can get a dining package and front rail spot in preferred or a good spot with FP. For example, see WOC Viewing Chart.

I really do not want to discount the opinions of folks who did not like WOC very much. It was just so awesome for us that first night that I find it easier to understand the negative opinions in light of my speculations above. For folks who did see the early show and did have a great front rail view, and still did not care for it, well, that argues against my speculations in this post. Those folks probably exist, but I think are much smaller in number.

Oh well, I am just speculating here with the hope of providing some insight.

:wizard:

I really do not want to discount the opinions of folks who did not like WOC very much. It was just so awesome for us that first night that I find it easier to understand the negative opinions in light of my speculations above. For folks who did see the early show and did have a great front rail view, and still did not care for it, well, that argues against my speculations in this post. Those folks probably exist, but I think are much smaller in number.

I agree that we did not have the best view the one time we saw WoC which is why we want to give it another chance sometime. We went to the 9 PM show and stood right against the railing on an upper level, but we were in the red section, so we were off to the right.

We too had Ariel's Grotto dinner planned to get Fp for WOC on Wednesday but because entering the park through GCH was so easy, we cancelled the dinner and used the blue FP. We did NOT spend a lot of time lining up, as a matter of fact we were late because we were eating those delicious lobster nachos at the Cove Bar and the service was really slooooow.

By the time we headed over, most of the people were already in and we ended up along the front rail in the blue wet zone. The girls sat down and there was no one else behind us but next to us was a fun family and we chatted a bit and the next thing we knew the preshow had started. It seemed like we waiting about 15 minutes, if that. The preshow was underwhelming but we LOVED WOC. We did it the night after the Fantasmic dessert seating and the girls said they really liked WOC better. I still like Fantasmic because of the live characters but I really enjoyed WOC.

I think how much you like it depends so much on time and money invested! We invested very little time and no extra money so we loved it but had we paid the $200 for the 5 of us to do Ariel's just for the FP and/or lined up early, I don't know that we would have felt the same.

I did try to see it again and got FPs really late in the day(after 3?) for the 11 show but we never did make it back. We did watch it one night from the GCH terrace and it is not a good viewing since you really can't see the screens but it was a nice rest for us at the time and dd thought it was so fun to see it from above that she videotaped it.

Over time the different opinions on WOC will sort themselves out. I saw it twice and am going to venture an opinion of my own. Maybe more of an educated guess. :confused3

1. We saw WOC the first time with an Ariel's Grotto preferred dining package. (I know BlackJack had that planned but had to cancel - which is a bummer). For us it was the second day of our trip and we took it easy that day at DCA. The weather was sunny but cool for July - mid-to-high 70's. We had dinner at 5:30 and the dinner was great. We got in line for WOC just before 7PM and got a position on the front rail for the 9PM show - which was almost totally unobstructed. All seven of us thought WOC was absolutely spectacular. I wrote up my thoughts on WOC while the emotion was fresh on the following day. Here is a link FWIW: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2520975

2. I went solo to see WOC on our final night. I got a FP for the 11:15PM show in the yellow section. After a long day which itself was after four full days in the parks I was tired. I had a decent viewing spot but not great. WOC did not seem as good the second time. I was not sure if I felt that way because it was the second time and not the first, or because it was late and I was very tired, or because the viewing area was not as good. I think it was the latter two reasons. Everyone around me in line before the show was really dragging and most all the kids were falling asleep on their parents. I did not see that on the first night when we were there at 9PM because of course it was earlier.

What I surmise about WOC is that your opinion of it varies greatly with how tired you are (and the lateness of the show) and your viewing area - and of course how tall you are. On our first viewing I could not imagine anyone not liking WOC and being overwhelmed like we were. On my second viewing I could imagine how someone might be underwhelmed. I was tired and had to drag myself there to see it again that late at night. And my view was quite average compared to the rail in preferred.

I think these observations are right on. We (me, DH, DD's 8 and 7) loved WOC.

We saw WOC on August 17 at 9:00. It was our first day in the parks, actually our first hours as we arrived around 3 that afternoon. We had dinner at Ariel's and had preferred viewing.

We joined the mob entering the viewing area at 7:45 and made it to the front rail. We too had an unobstructed view from the top of the water on up. I think this view, combined with the fact that we were fresh and excited about being in the parks, made the show spectacular for us.

I loved all of the details of the show, especially the dancing water down at the water line. The show is more than the movies scenes, and the more you can see of the entire presentation, the more, I think, one will enjoy it.

I thought about seeing the show again on our fourth and final night. I even had FP's for the blue section. I never made it. I was too exhausted to even think of standing around for two hours.

My lessons learned are to go early in your trip and try to get a spot where you can see the entire water show.

I think if we had seen the show early on Monday as planned the impression may have been different. We heard the music 3 times a night while staying at the Villas plus it is broadcast(music) on the TV. We will be back again and we will give it another shot. I would like it more if it had reserved seating, but that is just me.
Creepy experience: On the way home I wan't a picture of Castle Crags early am so I pulled of the road in a very isolated place about 0615, the way a small truck near by. I got my camera equipment out and this guy in his mid 40's walked up behind be(about 10 feet away) and asked me to buy some gas for him. He asked me if I carried any credit cards, debit cards, or cash to buy gas. (Mean while in the car my kids and wife are freaking that this man is the I-5 killer and they all were going to die.) I just turned around and told him no, I do not car those things. He kinda got a weird expression on his face looked me over for 30 seconds and then walked off, him not knowing that I am always armed with a .357 and I thought I was going to have to use it. Lesson learned, NO dark highway pulloff's with the family around, they still are freaked about the encounter.

Jack

Oh my goodness I would have been freaking out also.:scared1: Thankfully he didn't try anything and that you had a gun if he did. I bet that made for an interesting conversation for the drive home.

Oh my goodness!! How freaky!! :scared1: But it is good you always have your gun. My husband always has his too. Unless we have flown somewhere. He hates not having it. I'm sure your family was well protected, but good lesson for all.

And I just can't figure out what MWoD is?? :confused3 All I can come up with is Magical World of Disney. But I don't think that is a ride. Thanks for elaborating. I know I will feel dumb when you say what it is.

And I just can't figure out what MWoD is?? :confused3 All I can come up with is Magical World of Disney. But I don't think that is a ride. Thanks for elaborating. I know I will feel dumb when you say what it is.
I would guess Mickey's Fun Wheel?

Haha, I have heard a couple people call it Mickey's Wheel of Doom, so I am going to guess that is what it is.

I am looking forward to riding that actually, and I'll be wanting to try a swinging car.

Trey guessed it correctly. Mickey's Fun Wheel, my family calls it Mickey's Wheel of Death.

I go everywhere with my pistol. I have carried it into DLR without thinking about it, it is a habit. I wonder what the dude was thinking about how did I buy gas when I was on the road. I am just one of those guys that will shoot if I have to, then I would have to call 911. Might have been a bad situation and all I wanted is a photo.

Jack

Jack, that story gives me the creeps. If anybody could handle that situation it is definetely you.

Thanks all for figuring that out for me. I was stuck. Yes, I will also call it the wheel of death. That is the only ride in any Disney park that I will not go on. No thanks!!!

I think if we had seen the show early on Monday as planned the impression may have been different. We heard the music 3 times a night while staying at the Villas plus it is broadcast(music) on the TV. We will be back again and we will give it another shot. I would like it more if it had reserved seating, but that is just me.
Creepy experience: On the way home I wan't a picture of Castle Crags early am so I pulled of the road in a very isolated place about 0615, the way a small truck near by. I got my camera equipment out and this guy in his mid 40's walked up behind be(about 10 feet away) and asked me to buy some gas for him. He asked me if I carried any credit cards, debit cards, or cash to buy gas. (Mean while in the car my kids and wife are freaking that this man is the I-5 killer and they all were going to die.) I just turned around and told him no, I do not car those things. He kinda got a weird expression on his face looked me over for 30 seconds and then walked off, him not knowing that I am always armed with a .357 and I thought I was going to have to use it. Lesson learned, NO dark highway pulloff's with the family around, they still are freaked about the encounter.

Jack

This is what is happening to us. We had planned on seeing WoC on sunday night and then we moved the date to thursday. We are staying at PPH in a premium view room and we get to hear the music play twice every night. It's getting to be a little too much.

Sorry about your creepy experience, glad to know everyone is ok.

Happy belated b-day. And by the way, how is your daughter doing now?

Trey guessed it correctly. Mickey's Fun Wheel, my family calls it Mickey's Wheel of Death.

I didn't tell my DH about the swinging gondolas the first (and only) time we went on the ride. I thought he had seen them and knew what he was getting into! But, part of me decided to stay quiet, too. :rolleyes1 When we hit the first drop, I really wish I had a camera, because his reaction was priceless. I don't think I'll tell him, that, though. I'm not sure if I'll ever get him back on the MWoD now.

Looking forward to more of your stories, Jack!

that drive home story is a little creepy. i think that guy would have been a little surprised if you had to pull out your gun. at least everyone is safe.

Jack I love your points of view.

Sarah

I go everywhere with my pistol. I have carried it into DLR without thinking about it, it is a habit. I wonder what the dude was thinking about how did I buy gas when I was on the road. I am just one of those guys that will shoot if I have to, then I would have to call 911. Might have been a bad situation and all I wanted is a photo.

Jack

Yes..we have elevated Mickey's Wheel from Doom to Death as well. My son the cop asked if he could bring his gun to DLR...didn't know if he was kidding or not, but I said no...course we aren't driving, but AMTRAK can be a bit scary :)

I think these observations are right on. We (me, DH, DD's 8 and 7) loved WOC.

We saw WOC on August 17 at 9:00. It was our first day in the parks, actually our first hours as we arrived around 3 that afternoon. We had dinner at Ariel's and had preferred viewing.

We joined the mob entering the viewing area at 7:45 and made it to the front rail. We too had an unobstructed view from the top of the water on up. I think this view, combined with the fact that we were fresh and excited about being in the parks, made the show spectacular for us.

I loved all of the details of the show, especially the dancing water down at the water line. The show is more than the movies scenes, and the more you can see of the entire presentation, the more, I think, one will enjoy it.

I thought about seeing the show again on our fourth and final night. I even had FP's for the blue section. I never made it. I was too exhausted to even think of standing around for two hours.

My lessons learned are to go early in your trip and try to get a spot where you can see the entire water show.

We also did WOC combined with Ariel's Grotto. Our dinner was at 5 PM, finished around 6:15 or 6:30...got our FPs...then went back to our room til 8. While we did enjoy it, there was no way we could've hung out for over 2 hours waiting for the show...at least we had steps to sit on when we went back...

I didn't tell my DH about the swinging gondolas the first (and only) time we went on the ride. I thought he had seen them and knew what he was getting into! But, part of me decided to stay quiet, too. :rolleyes1 When we hit the first drop, I really wish I had a camera, because his reaction was priceless. I don't think I'll tell him, that, though. I'm not sure if I'll ever get him back on the MWoD now.

Looking forward to more of your stories, Jack!
I can imagine the look that was on his face. My youngest daughter finally got on and for the first two times all she did was look at the floor, finally she looked outside and was hooked. We all have fears, we just have to face them and all of a sudden things just don't seem as bad.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter