• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We go to Disney to EAT! 12/07 DDP (update 7/10)COMPLETE with savings!

We were not fans of MaMa Melrose either and when we went it took so long there was no way we were going to make our Fantasmic on time anyway so we had to come back on another night and see Fantasmic so the package was useless to us anyway.

No need to apologize for honesty in a review. I really appreciate it! But I am sorry you had a bad experience. That stinks. Expectations are so high in Disney when something goes wrong somehow it just seems even worse b/c it's so out of place. Hope the next meal was better...can't wait to hear what it is!

I guess the options are really limited at DHS. . .We are trying Hollywood and Vine even though reviews are bad because we figured a buffet for Fantasmic would have us out of the restaurant quicker.
that makes sense. I REALLy wish Dinsey would add sci fi or prime time to the fantasmic package.

Ugh I know reviews are diffrent for everyone but up till this point your reviews are spot on with what we have expierenced and what we like. We have this booked for our upcoming trip (never been before) Shucks it doesnt look so hot...Im thinking about doing CS here instead of the fantasmic package! Looking at where the seats are for the package, it doesnt look like its that great of a view either? Care to comment on that part of the package?
our seats were if you are looking at the stage, we were to the right, definately not in the middle. not terrible seats but not great either. I think it depends on teh time of year you go, too. I would rather wait in line and eat somewhere I like than do that again!

That's too bad that you had such a bad experience at Mama Melrose. It seems from several peoples reviews that it is either really really good there or pretty bad. So sorry you got the bad experience!
I hope the rest of the evening was better!!
your so right. and I realize some ppl LOVE this place, and thats fine/great, but it was just nto on par with disney standards IMO. and foodwise, my husband is easy to please and he was unhappy with it.

We've never been there, but I think you just talked us out of even considering it. Lol. I don't really like a lot of italian food anyways. We usually just stick with brown derby. Even they weren't super great this past yr when we went. And they are never good with drink refills in the times we've been. They refil it like once or twice and then don't bother to come back...sooooo annoying!
We are doing brown derby this time around, too!

thanks for reading you guys are great!

We were not fans of MaMa Melrose either and when we went it took so long there was no way we were going to make our Fantasmic on time anyway so we had to come back on another night and see Fantasmic so the package was useless to us anyway.
ug see thats so annoying!

No need to apologize for honesty in a review. I really appreciate it! But I am sorry you had a bad experience. That stinks. Expectations are so high in Disney when something goes wrong somehow it just seems even worse b/c it's so out of place. Hope the next meal was better...can't wait to hear what it is!

your right. we always have high expectations for dinsey restaurants. maybe its not fair,maybe ti is. i dont know. But I would have even been mad for this kind of service at applebees, thats how annoyed I was!!

thats for not flaming me guys. And if someone ahsnt been and wants to try MM, I say go and experience it for yourself, you may have a totally diff. experience than me!

I hope Brown Derby will be better!! I know I don't want to go to Hollywood and Vine! There are almost all bad reviews from there. Even the ones that are not bad are not good either! Brown Derby sounds like the only choice if you want to have Fantasmic special seating!!!
Looking forward to more!!

We've never been there, but I think you just talked us out of even considering it. Lol. I don't really like a lot of italian food anyways. We usually just stick with brown derby. Even they weren't super great this past yr when we went. And they are never good with drink refills in the times we've been. They refil it like once or twice and then don't bother to come back...sooooo annoying!

Not to hijack or anything but curious as to the policy on the DDP with tipping in regards to bad service? Do you have to give a min. percentage? Anyone can probally answer this question, we havent been on the DDP since before they switched.

Not to hijack or anything but curious as to the policy on the DDP with tipping in regards to bad service? Do you have to give a min. percentage? Anyone can probally answer this question, we havent been on the DDP since before they switched.

Under the OLD plan, you didnt have a choice on tip. That is one thing that annoyed us: no matter how bad a server she was, she still got 18%. I am glad the new dining plan doesnt include tip. (though im very sad about the lack of appetizer) I'd feel bad not leaving anything, but i wouldnt have left that server 18%. Hopefully this new policy will weed out some of the...sub-par servers. I never liked telling them up front we were on the dinning plan, though they almost always ask right off.

Great review btw

I hope Brown Derby will be better!! I know I don't want to go to Hollywood and Vine! There are almost all bad reviews from there. Even the ones that are not bad are not good either! Brown Derby sounds like the only choice if you want to have Fantasmic special seating!!!
Looking forward to more!!
thanks for reading. I would ef. go with BD if I did the package again

Thanks for the review. Great pics.
thanks!

Under the OLD plan, you didnt have a choice on tip. That is one thing that annoyed us: no matter how bad a server she was, she still got 18%. I am glad the new dining plan doesnt include tip. (though im very sad about the lack of appetizer) I'd feel bad not leaving anything, but i wouldnt have left that server 18%. Hopefully this new policy will weed out some of the...sub-par servers. I never liked telling them up front we were on the dinning plan, though they almost always ask right off.

Great review btw

thanks for answering the question dear. :yay: yes it was very annoying knwoign they got 185 when they were terrible!

Love your reviews, what a shame about MM though, we had a nice meal and good server there last August, it just shows the server can make or break a meal :mad:

ok guys sorry that took so long!

Sunday, December 16
where: The Mara
DDP: 1 CS meal, shared

One Boutny Platter, consisting of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, waffle, bancake, biscuit and gravy, also got a water to drink.

TOTAL: $7.99

the bounty platter is HUGE! I dont eat a ton for breakfast so it was perfect for us, i just nibbled a few bites off of DH's plate. Lots of variety, food is pretty good. Very filling.

we had already started eating
069.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, December 16
WHERE: Germany Sommerfest
DDP: 1 CS meal for DH

Bratwurst with Sauerkraut, bottled water, cheesecake

DH wanted to have lunch somewhere new, from a country in Epcot, so we went out on a limb and he went to Germany. I am not an adventurous eater so I sat and watched while he ate.

Bratwurst served with sauerkraut and roll $6.39
Cheesecake $3.59
Bottled Water - $1.25

TOTAL: $11.23

He did not like it. Well, he REALLY hated the Sauerkraut. He didnt know what it was goign to taste like. They give you way to much with it and he just piled it on top. he only ate about half of it, and then ate the cheesecake which was alright. We wont be going back here. Just not our kind of taste in food. whats really funny is he used my cucumber melon hand sanitizer before and after he ate, and now EVERY time he uses it it remidns him of that food and he gets sick feeling! :rotfl:

088.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upnext: my lunch at Liberty Inn and Coral reef dinner
Subbing but wanted to say I know what you mean by the "just not our kind of taste in food" with German fare. Some of it is okay, but I usually can't find enough I like since they seem to use a lot of vinegar in their side dishes, and I don't like the taste of vinegar.

Can't wait to read the rest of your food report. We are there the first of August and love to see what other's think is good and what to avoid.

Love your reviews, what a shame about MM though, we had a nice meal and good server there last August, it just shows the server can make or break a meal :mad:
i know its sad. the food was ok...but i wouldnt have disliked it so much if the service was better I think. but the food was still just on par with a chain restaurant to me.

Subbing but wanted to say I know what you mean by the "just not our kind of taste in food" with German fare. Some of it is okay, but I usually can't find enough I like since they seem to use a lot of vinegar in their side dishes, and I don't like the taste of vinegar.

Can't wait to read the rest of your food report. We are there the first of August and love to see what other's think is good and what to avoid.
yeah i am not a big vinegar fan either. I am so picky!
I'm in! This one is great!

thanks!

hey guys I havent forgotten about my reviews, I just had a grad school midterm. hopefully ore to come tomorrow.

forgot to mention the night of MM and fantasmic we went back to the resort and I used a snack credit to get a mickey bar.

TOTAL: $2.50

ok moving on to....
December 20th thursday
WHERE: the Mara
DDP: 2 Snack credits

we decided to again get muffins with snack credits for breakfast.

TOTAL: $4.58

we decided to lay by the pool this day, so we also ate at the Mara for lunch. well, we ate at the pool.

WHERE: the mara
DDP: 2 CS meals

bobby got: pepperoni pizza, powerade, and an ice cream bar
I got: baked potato soup, a water (used my mug saved the water for later) and I think a mickey bar.

pizza: $7.19
powerade: $2.35
ice cream: $2.50
soup: 2.50
water: $2.00
ice cream: 2.50

TOTAL: $19.04

sorry no pictures! the soup was REALLY good, I was impressed. I LOVE potato soup! bobby really liked his pizza and of course we loved the ice cream! i wish they had this soup more than the one time we saw it.

Woo hoo! Congratulations on finishing your grad school mid-term!!!
What a nice morning! Lounging by the pool always feels so nice after spending days moving around so much!!
Glad the soup was good. I love potato soup also! Yumm!!
Looking forward to more!

subscribing...we were there the same time. You are right the weather was FREEZING the first few days. Planning our next trip Feb. 2010- intrested in your grand total on spending (thinking of using the DDP next time)

I think Coral Reef owes you a free dinner ... they spelled anniversary incorrectly on your menu.

Hey, at least they got more than ONE pic on their menu. I sent SIX and they put one lousy photo (the least attractive of the six) on our menu for our 10th Anniversary! Not only that, they sat us in the LAST tier when I had arranged for a diver. How would we see him from there? I had to ask to be moved while figuring out a way to not let the cat out of the bag (it was a surprise for my husband).

Woo hoo! Congratulations on finishing your grad school mid-term!!!
What a nice morning! Lounging by the pool always feels so nice after spending days moving around so much!!
Glad the soup was good. I love potato soup also! Yumm!!
Looking forward to more!
thanks! my final is monday yuck!

subscribing...we were there the same time. You are right the weather was FREEZING the first few days. Planning our next trip Feb. 2010- intrested in your grand total on spending (thinking of using the DDP next time)
it was so cold! one reason why we are going in september

Hey, at least they got more than ONE pic on their menu. I sent SIX and they put one lousy photo (the least attractive of the six) on our menu for our 10th Anniversary! Not only that, they sat us in the LAST tier when I had arranged for a diver. How would we see him from there? I had to ask to be moved while figuring out a way to not let the cat out of the bag (it was a surprise for my husband).
are you serious? ONE? wow. i would have been furstrated!

Thanks for the great reviews Heather! I am really enjoying your dining and trip reports! I am craving a mickey bar right now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter