We Defected to the West! DLR 2013

Helllllooooooo, Janet! :wave: :cool1:

I didn't realize that you had started a TR, but I must have sensed that my name was written because somehow I was drawn to the TR section today -- and I found you!

Since you mentioned that I wasn't a fan of the PPH tree, I should clarify (to anyone out there who hasn't followed along with my DLR Christmas/Holiday Season Superthreads and read my comments) that I, too, absolutely love the color of the tree. That warm, blue-greenish glow has me transfixed every time I see the tree in person. I literally stand there and stare at it, hypnotized. I prefer the PPH tree over all of the other trees at the other hotels, specifically because of that color.

But, alas, you're correct -- I don't like the changes that were made to the PPH tree in 2013.:sad: I think there are a few of us PPH tree vets who don't like the changes (Cheshirecatty included), but I can totally understand how someone who is seeing it in person for the first time would love it! It went from being a fairly uncluttered tree to a cluttered tree. All of that stuff around the bottom of it cuts its length down (visually), and the assorted oceanic trinkets dangling from the branches make it busier than it had been.

I just think that in the case of the PPH tree, the actual lights and color were the stars of the show. As for ornaments, they (the hotel decorators) probably should have gone with a 'less is more' approach. I am curious what the tree will look like this year -- and you know I will be inspecting it closely!:rotfl2:

Anyway, on to your TR... Your photos are so wonderful! They're so crisp, bright and clear -- every single one of them! The pictures from the plane are breathtaking. Your Goofy's Kitchen pictures made me realize how much I miss eating there (I used to eat there on every DLR trip).

And I have a feeling you didn't overlook nearly as many details as you think you might have overlooked during your trip -- you captured the close-up of the wacky, pointy ornament on the Goofy's Kitchen tree, and that has always been one of my personal favorite details about that tree!

Even if it turns out -- for some reason -- that you didn't capture details that you wish you had captured, it's okay! There will be another holiday trip.:cheer2: Everyone tours DLR differently -- and some folks are more prone to stop and photograph every little detail (to the point of skipping rides and other activities), while others have a nice mix of activities and photo-taking on their trips. Some folks are just not detail-hunters when it comes to photos in the first place. Some folks are just not photo-driven at all. Everyone is different, and everyone's priorities are different on trips.

I saw a mention of a Sanibel TR? I have never been there, but one of my close friends makes -- or used to make -- a yearly sojourn to Sanibel because she fell in love with it. I have a feeling I would love it too!

When I finally update the Trip Reports/Reviews post on page 1 of the Superthread, I will surely add a link to this TR so folks planning their holiday trips can enjoy it and all of the stunning images you have shared/will be sharing!

Hey Sherry! :wave:

I was going to send you a note or post in the thread to give you a heads up on my TR. I just hadn't gotten it marked off my list yet. Thanks for taking care of it for me! :rotfl2:

You did such a better job of describing the issue with the PPH tree. You are right though..... those colors are absolutely mesmerizing. We did our entire house and yard in blue and green one year. You know.... back when I was younger and there were more hours in the day! :lmao: So that tree is particularly appealing to me.

Thanks for the kind words on my photos. I know I took a lot. I'm just not sure yet if I have hundreds each of a few things or a few each of hundreds of things! You are the other person here on the DIS that I aspire to be like with my photography. Just like Jen, you are so good at seeing all those details and taking photos of them all. What an amazing archive of all things holiday at Disney you have put together!

My Sanibel TR was sort of a "TR within a TR" on my 2012 WDW TR linked in my signature. Here's where the Sanibel part of it started though. It would sure be a long trek for you to visit, but I still bet you'd love it. We've actually driven there from Missouri many times, and that's a much longer trek than flying from the west coast!

I really did love that tree at Goofy's Kitchen. We have been to Goofy's Kitchen on every DLR trip we have made, but this is the first time to visit over the holidays. Of course since we are limited to 5 days in the parks (without an AP) it's nice to have some character fun without having to use a park ticket. It's sort of an arrival day tradition for us.

And I'd be honored to be included in the TR section of the holiday superthread! :)

I'm following along as well. I have enjoyed all your pictures and photography input on the threads and nice to see that you have started a DL trip report.

A very nice start to your trip report. The pictures of the PPH Christmas tree and GK are very nice and stunning.

I'm following along as well. I have enjoyed all your pictures and photography input on the threads and nice to see that you have started a DL trip report.

A very nice start to your trip report. The pictures of the PPH Christmas tree and GK are very nice and stunning.

Thanks for the kind words Bret! So glad to see you over here! :welcome: I have certainly enjoyed your input on all the photography threads as well. :)

Great update! I love when you share the flashback pictures. Katie has grown so much!

I love your Goofy's kitchen interactions, and all those Christmas trees around! Disney at Christmastime is a dream for me.

Hey Sherry! :wave:

I was going to send you a note or post in the thread to give you a heads up on my TR. I just hadn't gotten it marked off my list yet. Thanks for taking care of it for me! :rotfl2:

You did such a better job of describing the issue with the PPH tree. You are right though..... those colors are absolutely mesmerizing. We did our entire house and yard in blue and green one year. You know.... back when I was younger and there were more hours in the day! :lmao: So that tree is particularly appealing to me.

Thanks for the kind words on my photos. I know I took a lot. I'm just not sure yet if I have hundreds each of a few things or a few each of hundreds of things! You are the other person here on the DIS that I aspire to be like with my photography. Just like Jen, you are so good at seeing all those details and taking photos of them all. What an amazing archive of all things holiday at Disney you have put together!

My Sanibel TR was sort of a "TR within a TR" on my 2012 WDW TR linked in my signature. Here's where the Sanibel part of it started though. It would sure be a long trek for you to visit, but I still bet you'd love it. We've actually driven there from Missouri many times, and that's a much longer trek than flying from the west coast!

I really did love that tree at Goofy's Kitchen. We have been to Goofy's Kitchen on every DLR trip we have made, but this is the first time to visit over the holidays. Of course since we are limited to 5 days in the parks (without an AP) it's nice to have some character fun without having to use a park ticket. It's sort of an arrival day tradition for us.

And I'd be honored to be included in the TR section of the holiday superthread! :)

Janet --

Thank you for the very kind words, but I must say...

I just looked through your Sanibel "TR within a TR" (thank you for guiding me to it) and your photos are insanely, ridiculously good!!!:worship: I don't even think that words like "stunning" or "awesome" do them justice. Each photo is better than the previous one. I can't even pinpoint which element I love most, or which photo I love most, because there are so many. The varying colors of the sky? The sunsets? The rainbow? The assorted sea creatures and bits of nature? The family photos? The Bubble Room? The empty beach? The quirky holiday decorations? It's all amazing.

And it's not only the subjects of the photos that are naturally compelling -- it's your excellent composition and eye for what will make a great shot that is at the heart of all of the pictures.

I mean, really, Sanibel should hire you to be its permanent photographer because you would attract a lot of visitors to the island just by showcasing your photos. Sometimes I see promotional photos of beaches or islands and they are certainly pretty -- gorgeous, even -- but the photos come across as a bit sterile, or a bit too staged and perfect...so much so that the beaches and islands don't even seem like real places. They seem almost inaccessible -- and I don't mean inaccessible as far as not being able to reach them by land, air or sea, but inaccessible in that they don't seem like they'd be within the realm of possibility to visit due to being perfect. They almost seem too utopian, if that makes any sense.

I think that your Sanibel photos do a fantastic job of capturing the often idyllic beauty of an island/beach setting -- and showcasing all of the great things that people would want to do or see when embarking upon such an adventure -- while still exhibiting warmth, personality and depth.

I now understand why my friend fell in love with Sanibel many years ago and tries to go there every year if she can -- it's probably one of those places that is hard to leave when it's time to leave. I can already tell that I would adore it!

Joining in! I love your TRs!

Yeah! April's here. It's just like old home week. :) :welcome:

Great update! I love when you share the flashback pictures. Katie has grown so much!

I love your Goofy's kitchen interactions, and all those Christmas trees around! Disney at Christmastime is a dream for me.

Thanks Tina! :goodvibes DLR at Christmas really does not disappoint.

I have a few more Goofy's Kitchen flashback photos I'll share in a bit.

Janet --

Thank you for the very kind words, but I must say...

I just looked through your Sanibel "TR within a TR" (thank you for guiding me to it) and your photos are insanely, ridiculously good!!!:worship: I don't even think that words like "stunning" or "awesome" do them justice. Each photo is better than the previous one. I can't even pinpoint which element I love most, or which photo I love most, because there are so many. The varying colors of the sky? The sunsets? The rainbow? The assorted sea creatures and bits of nature? The family photos? The Bubble Room? The empty beach? The quirky holiday decorations? It's all amazing.

And it's not only the subjects of the photos that are naturally compelling -- it's your excellent composition and eye for what will make a great shot that is at the heart of all of the pictures.

I mean, really, Sanibel should hire you to be its permanent photographer because you would attract a lot of visitors to the island just by showcasing your photos. Sometimes I see promotional photos of beaches or islands and they are certainly pretty -- gorgeous, even -- but the photos come across as a bit sterile, or a bit too staged and perfect...so much so that the beaches and islands don't even seem like real places. They seem almost inaccessible -- and I don't mean inaccessible as far as not being able to reach them by land, air or sea, but inaccessible in that they don't seem like they'd be within the realm of possibility to visit due to being perfect. They almost seem too utopian, if that makes any sense.

I think that your Sanibel photos do a fantastic job of capturing the often idyllic beauty of an island/beach setting -- and showcasing all of the great things that people would want to do or see when embarking upon such an adventure -- while still exhibiting warmth, personality and depth.

I now understand why my friend fell in love with Sanibel many years ago and tries to go there every year if she can -- it's probably one of those places that is hard to leave when it's time to leave. I can already tell that I would adore it!

Well, goodness Sherry. :blush: Now you have me blushing with all the kind words.

It's easy to be a good photographer on Sanibel. The opportunities are just so easy to find. Although I will say that we have refined our approach over time for being in the right place at the right time for both shelling and photography opportunities.

You do have a way with words. Sanibel is more of a down to earth community than the pristine resorts on some beaches. Not that the area isn't pristine. It's just sort of hard to describe. But it really clicks with our family.

We were heartbroken when Hurricane Charley tore the island apart in 2004. But Mother Nature (and some great contractors no doubt!) did a great job putting all the pieces back together again. My husband grew up going to Sanibel every summer. We don't make it that often but we've probably been 9 or 10 times through the years.

GOOFY'S KITCHEN Flashback:

Here's the rest of the collection of Goofy's Kitchen photos through the years. Our first trip to DLR was in 2005. Back then the boys were still playing along.

IMG_8190 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Robbie (on the right) turns 21 in a week and is a Junior in college. Timmy (in the middle) just turned 19 and is the one who is away for his Freshman year of college:

IMG_8246 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We returned the summer of 2006:

IMG_3418 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And again in 2007:

IMG_0516 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I already shared the photo from 2010.

So you can see we really have a history at GK. I'm sure we'll eat there again when we go back later this year. It's just tradition.

Love the pictures of the kids at Goofy's Kitchen. You know....as I was looking at the flashbacks, I realised that those characters can be used a measuring yardsticks! Your DD grew significantly taller in 2006 and 2007 when you look at where she stands against Pluto.

Greeting PIO! :welcome: So glad you're along for our defection! :) Everyone has such strong feelings about FP+ (not the least of which is myself), it sort of felt like cheating to duck out of the issue completely and head west.

FP+ worked pretty smoothly for me in Oct last year (pre-tiering). Except for the last day and the system not being able to show ticket stacking (the CM could see my normal park ticket but not the MNSSHP ticket and I had to clear that up at Guest Relations), we pretty much had every booking recognised by the scanners.
My gripes came down to us being limited to 3 (we're a commando family and we would average about 8 - 10 FP- on the old system) and not being able to select FP+ for multiple parks (we tend to park hop). I'm glad to see that Disney is fixing both of these.

And no....you're not cheating. Much as I like WDW, DLR is the Disney destination of my heart. I definitely prefer DLR to WDW.

They all look so cute!!!!AWWWW! I have that dress in the first picture!...Well Claire does :thumbsup2

I think the tree is beautiful!

Great character pics at Goofy's Kitchen! And love all the flashback photos as well :)

I Love the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family so I think that was a great way to end your night!

:

YEAH! Someone dig out the cookies. clsteve is here and we can start the meeting! :cool1: We'll save the super top secret FP+ haters stuff for later in the meeting though. :p

You can corrupt me into possibly shunning WDW for US one day, so maybe I can corrupt you into shunning WDW for DLR!

Deal!

Btw, just to echo the other PP's: your photos are top notch. The one of Katie on the cover page of the autograph book- that's the one in a 1000 captures we parents spend all of that time hoping to get--- really special :thumbsup2

Super cute flashback pictures. I like how you said the boys were still playing along then ;) Now that we went to Universal, I think my son has found his "home"...now how to get him back to Disney!

I have never been to Sanibel, I will have to work that into a trip soon!

I'm so glad for two things:

That you shared the past GK photos because seeing others kids grow up too makes me feel oddly less sad about mine doing so and wondering where time went. And seeing the little happy faces that look much older now is just fun anyway. Cute, cute, cute. Like mini-me's! Apostrophe is prob wrong but mes looks weird!

And that even more people are now seeing your fab Sanibel TR and photos, my daughter Sydney LOVED all the sealife you captured and instantly wanted to go there. She was so excited to book and do the Lido Key kayaking trip (inland waterway, minimal current, low wind- easy for most part). Someday we will get farther south to see for ourselves.

But for now I will dream of heading west to DLR in the summer or fall... And enjoy your report and tips!

Sydnerella's Mama

Love the pictures of the kids at Goofy's Kitchen. You know....as I was looking at the flashbacks, I realised that those characters can be used a measuring yardsticks! Your DD grew significantly taller in 2006 and 2007 when you look at where she stands against Pluto.

We totally use characters as measuring sticks. I can see how many Tigger-stripes DD has grown each time because we try to take the same photo each trip! And now our DS17 is taller than Tigger!

PHXscuba

Enjoying your TR. Katie is adorable and your boys are cute too! I think I'm changing our trip from WDW to DL this Sept. So I'm anxious to hear about your trip We've never been to DL before. Thanks for sharing.
Joan

Luvin all the photos from Goofy's kitchen! Character selfies sounds like a fun idea :)

FP+ worked pretty smoothly for me in Oct last year (pre-tiering). Except for the last day and the system not being able to show ticket stacking (the CM could see my normal park ticket but not the MNSSHP ticket and I had to clear that up at Guest Relations), we pretty much had every booking recognised by the scanners.
My gripes came down to us being limited to 3 (we're a commando family and we would average about 8 - 10 FP- on the old system) and not being able to select FP+ for multiple parks (we tend to park hop). I'm glad to see that Disney is fixing both of these.

And no....you're not cheating. Much as I like WDW, DLR is the Disney destination of my heart. I definitely prefer DLR to WDW.

Ha Ha! Goofy as a measuring stick! :rotfl2: It seems to work well though. I sure noticed the difference with Alice. Katie might even be too tall to play her in the parks now. ;)

We have spent more time at WDW than DLR and probably consider WDW our "home" resort. But DLR is the park I love the most. MK just seems to be missing out on so much once you've been to DL. I think it's a little better now with the Fantasyland expansion, but it still comes up a little short overall in my opinion.

I'm sort of holding back on my opinion of the announced changes to FP+ until I hear some real world reports back from the parks. Just in the last couple days people have said they were told they could schedule a 4th FP after using their other 3, but would have to wait through the kiosk line. Most of them didn't bother getting in line since the line there was as long as the line to the attraction they wanted to do.

They all look so cute!!!!AWWWW! I have that dress in the first picture!...Well Claire does :thumbsup2
LOL, I thought you might like that dress. :) It seems a lifetime ago Katie was wearing that.

I think the tree is beautiful!

Great character pics at Goofy's Kitchen! And love all the flashback photos as well :)

I Love the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family so I think that was a great way to end your night!

I really loved having the 25 days of Christmas on while we were there. It was part of our Disney Christmas bubble. :)

Deal!

Btw, just to echo the other PP's: your photos are top notch. The one of Katie on the cover page of the autograph book- that's the one in a 1000 captures we parents spend all of that time hoping to get--- really special :thumbsup2

Thanks clsteve! :goodvibes

I love that photo of Katie too. I still remember taking it. We were in Adventureland waiting to meet Jasmine and Aladdin for the first time ever. She was just passing the time waiting for them to come out. Flashback to December 2004:

A First Meeting with Jasmine and Aladdin by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Super cute flashback pictures. I like how you said the boys were still playing along then ;) Now that we went to Universal, I think my son has found his "home"...now how to get him back to Disney!

I have never been to Sanibel, I will have to work that into a trip soon!

Thanks ArwenMarie! It's fun digging up some of the old photos. And it forces me to upload them to Flickr to post, giving me another backup.

We haven't been to Universal in a while, but are really considering giving it some love soon. How old is your son?

I'm sure he'd love Sanibel. My 3 kids seldom agree on ANYTHING! :rotfl2: But they do all love Sanibel.

Thanks ArwenMarie! It's fun digging up some of the old photos. And it forces me to upload them to Flickr to post, giving me another backup.

We haven't been to Universal in a while, but are really considering giving it some love soon. How old is your son?

I'm sure he'd love Sanibel. My 3 kids seldom agree on ANYTHING! :rotfl2: But they do all love Sanibel.

Always good to keep up with the backups!

DS is 12 and I have a DD who is 8. Universal is great in its own way. With the Express Pass, it's just plain fun.

I am going to have work Sanibel in next year. I've never been to a Gulf Coast beach.

I'm so glad for two things:

That you shared the past GK photos because seeing others kids grow up too makes me feel oddly less sad about mine doing so and wondering where time went. And seeing the little happy faces that look much older now is just fun anyway. Cute, cute, cute. Like mini-me's! Apostrophe is prob wrong but mes looks weird!

And that even more people are now seeing your fab Sanibel TR and photos, my daughter Sydney LOVED all the sealife you captured and instantly wanted to go there. She was so excited to book and do the Lido Key kayaking trip (inland waterway, minimal current, low wind- easy for most part). Someday we will get farther south to see for ourselves.

But for now I will dream of heading west to DLR in the summer or fall... And enjoy your report and tips!

Sydnerella's Mama

I spend a lot of time on our vacations taking photos. I love being able to go back later and relive some of those moments. :goodvibes

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed seeing the sealife we captured. It seems like each trip to Sanibel takes on its own character. This last trip was certainly our best, because of the tropical storm.

Another trip that comes to mind was in March 2007. They had just experienced a red tide and this is how we found our typically pristine beach:

Red Tide by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Piles of Seashells by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Along with all that muck came piles of seashells to sift through.

We totally use characters as measuring sticks. I can see how many Tigger-stripes DD has grown each time because we try to take the same photo each trip! And now our DS17 is taller than Tigger!

PHXscuba

LOL on measuring against Tigger's stripes. :tigger:

I hope you scrapbook and can do a page with all those photos! :cool1:

Enjoying your TR. Katie is adorable and your boys are cute too! I think I'm changing our trip from WDW to DL this Sept. So I'm anxious to hear about your trip We've never been to DL before. Thanks for sharing.
Joan

Hi Joan! :welcome:

Everyone should visit Walt's original park at least once. I hope you have a great time. I promise I have park photos almost ready to go. Lots of DL knowledge around over here, so ask away if you have questions.

Luvin all the photos from Goofy's kitchen! Character selfies sounds like a fun idea :)

That wasn't even my favorite selfie. That one's still to come. :scratchin It wasn't exactly with a character.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter