We’ll blame the Force: The UnDisney family on their 5th cruise - SWDAS (Eastern) Jan 28-Feb 4, 2017

Haha I think your son is going for the world record in owning light sabers :rotfl2:

I love that he is so into the pin trading,that's awesome! My girls have no interest in it so we've never done it.

Glad you finally went to a mixology, even if you didn't get toasted :rotfl:for us it's a good $20 spent on a nice afternoon buzz:drinking1

We skipped almost all of the shows on the Fantasy this trip as well except for the first night (when we came in late) and Aladdin. We found that skipping the shows meant for a very quiet ship to roam (and shop!) while everyone was either eating or being entertained!

Was the lobby oppressively crowded for this? On our cruise it was almost unbearable and I don't mind crowds. I'm trying to figure out if it was a fluke or it's always like that.

Yay!!!! I'll be very interested to hear these details.

The lobby had its moments during pin trading, but it wasn't too bad once the trading started, actually- as in, it was crowded, but not oppressively so, a concept I get 100%! We just waited back by the elevators (as in, I remember we were right up against the wall, staying out of the way), which meant we were where we needed to be to get to the officers.

Haha I think your son is going for the world record in owning light sabers :rotfl2:

I love that he is so into the pin trading,that's awesome! My girls have no interest in it so we've never done it.

Glad you finally went to a mixology, even if you didn't get toasted :rotfl:for us it's a good $20 spent on a nice afternoon buzz:drinking1

We skipped almost all of the shows on the Fantasy this trip as well except for the first night (when we came in late) and Aladdin. We found that skipping the shows meant for a very quiet ship to roam (and shop!) while everyone was either eating or being entertained!

At home, we have a rule that noisy toys (this includes light sabers) have to be in the basement, so I don't notice them here so much. In a cabin on a cruise... oh my!

It took a few years for him to get into trading- when he was 6, he was horrified that you would GIVE AWAY something precious. :) Thus we got the 'traders' from e-bay, and then things started looking up.

Wait until you hear what we did on day 4 re: shows and meals ... REBELS.

And then.... OH THE HAPPINESS!!! (It opens up too - beyond thrilling!)

This required much very excited chattering for the next 30 minutes.

From one Star Wars geek to another I gasped when I saw what the secret pin was. NICE.

and this was belongs to Ezra someone-or-other and turns into a gun too. Ick, but what do I know?

That would be Ezra Bridger from Star Wars Rebels. If he has seen the complete season and you're in the mood for more chatter, ask him about the return of one of the classic characters toward the end of the season. ONLY ask this if he's caught up, otherwise it's a spoiler and I don't want to ruin it for him.

Apparently, you can never have too many wands,

Of course not! DD wants a Harry Potter birthday this year, so we're using bamboo (for it's hollow center) and adding in special "cores" before painting and sealing them. Then we're going to blindfold the kids and have the wand choose them at the party. She's very excited.

For some reason I am having trouble viewing the photos. It says they are not found. :( I'm dying to know what the secret pin is!!!

For some reason I am having trouble viewing the photos. It says they are not found. :( I'm dying to know what the secret pin is!!!

I am having trouble too, not that I don't find just as much enjoyment in reading your TR. I even stalked he photo site and it says the same thing.

By the way I just finished your Alaska TR- I was happily surprised to find out you were working on this one, I was as happy as when your reading a new book and realize there is already another book in the series out!

Can't wait to hear the rest.

From one Star Wars geek to another I gasped when I saw what the secret pin was. NICE.

Well, I'm glad you got to see it before Photobucket got annoyed with my photos for some reason... bizarre! I'm still working on that. Thus the delays.

See above- I'm sorry! Not sure why Photobucket says my photos were deleted. They weren't!

So am I ....I thought maybe I was the only one.

Sorry again.

I am having trouble too, not that I don't find just as much enjoyment in reading your TR. I even stalked he photo site and it says the same thing.

By the way I just finished your Alaska TR- I was happily surprised to find out you were working on this one, I was as happy as when your reading a new book and realize there is already another book in the series out!

Can't wait to hear the rest.

Thanks! and again ... sorry! I am trying to please the photobucket gods... or I may need to find another option.

Stay tuned!

Day 4 - Tortola - and some very unique Baths

While I try to fight with my photo issue, I thought I'd get the text up here about day 4. In addition to photo frustration, my workplace is in the midst of a big move (it's not pretty) and we just survived the great end of season ice-show, requiring about 10,000 additional rehearsals (give or take), thus my screeching to a halt of a review. However, things have settled a bit, so let's see if I can get us onto some islands already.

DH had been delegated to "sort out Tortola" and he did a great job getting us to and from the Baths without the help of any rodents. I was happy enough to just follow instructions (mostly) for the day.

What are the Baths? From a reliable source (cough cough cough ... Wikipedia!) - it's a beach area, but with all kinds of "piles of boulders on the beach. The boulders form natural tidal pools, tunnels, arches, and scenic grottoes that are open to the sea. The largest boulders are about 40 feet (12 m) long." Yep- they're immense. And We Love Rocks in our house. Well, DH and Conor love rocks, and I go along with it.

There are DCL Port Adventures that you can do, but we had our last Port Adventure in Alaska, we swore, so we did this one on our own. DH found lots of info on-line, including on (ahem) other boards- and it's really simple.

So- with that...

Step 1: Get up early enough to not rush - at about 7:00 a.m. in our case. We were generally ready the night before (swim gear ready to don, backpacks packed, sun screen at the ready), so it was a pretty easy morning, especially since we pre-ordered breakfast the night before and ate on the veranda (supplemented with coffee of course). I will note here I was very glad we all had our swimsuits on (in my case, under my shorts/top) for when we got to the actual Baths. We breakfasted and got ready for the day, and were ready to disembark shortly after they called all ashore. I'll note here that really good hiking sandals that can get wet are essential (we all have Keens). We got through the line up painlessly (having nabbed our beach towels first), and were on shore at 8:15 or so.

Voila how we do breakfast on these days.

IMG_9522.jpg

Step 2: We had a short (10 minute?) walk to the pier where the ferries run- easy and straightforward. DH was on the ball- so he bought us return tickets with Speedy's (one of 2 companies, I think?) to Virgin Gorda - the island where the Baths are located, which included transportation on the other end to the Baths. We stuck our bracelets on, and waited for about 30 minutes (DH doesn't like to be late...) in the waiting area, gazing agog at the real estate magazines.

Step 3: We boarded the ferry at 9:00 a.m. - and relaxed up on the top deck- enjoying the views.

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9545.jpg

This took about 30 minutes or so.

Step 4: We disembarked at Virgin Gorda, and followed directions to a bunch of open air taxis. There was about a 15 minute wait here, due to all the traffic, but it was fine. Then it's about another 10-15 minute drive to the top of the Baths. It's not exactly picturesque so no photos. :)

Step 5: We paid to go to the Baths- and started hiking. Here is where Conor stopped being grumpy- he loves a good hike.

So- you start by doing down if you're doing the actual cool grottos, tidal pools, etc- which I recommend, but ONLY if you are up for some adventure and are not averse to getting wet, going down ladders, and squeezing through some small-ish spaces, in the dark. We do love this stuff, but I realize it's not for everyone- so fair warning. Basically- picture a wet, rocky play structure, with some tight squeezes, and you've got the Baths. Conor has never met a play structure he doesn't like, and if you add water, rocks, ladders, and ropes, well, it's just amaze-balls.

But first, you walk down and see some cool cacti along the path until you get to the water. Conor likes to take photos of nature, so he did. A lot. The signage isn't great, but we kept heading down to the water, and ended up, suddenly at the cool grottos.

IMG_9546.jpg

We don't have many photos of the grottos themselves, because it was all hands on deck (and thus no hands on cell phones or cameras) in order to climb up and down rocks in the water. It's not deep at all - at most, it was up to my thighs, usually much less so, but you will be walking through water (thus the need for good sandals).

DH did go back with Conor a bit later and got a few photos...

P1310122.jpg

P1310125.jpg

Step 6:
Collapse on beach, feeling VERY VIRTUOUS for your rather adventurous morning. At least, I collapsed. Conor was ready and raring to go, and loved playing in the waves. DH meandered a bit but did more of the collapsing for sure. It did rain ... for a whole 10 minutes, and then it passed.

IMG_9553.jpg
P1310064.jpg

Mostly, we just hung out. I admired the big rocks. The sand isn't exactly powder soft, but, hey, we're Canadian, any sand in the winter is good for us. We hung my shorts up on the trees to dry out and it was windy enough that this worked well.

Big awesome rocks.

IMG_9590.jpg

At one point, we were invaded by the stickered folks- people from 2 different cruises (ours included) who were being herded sheep-like to their short time on the beach. They then left. I continued to ponder the rocks as they left, feeling superior, for not having to rush.

Finally- at about 11:30 or so, we decided to head back up, in order to eat lunch.

(Note- there are bathrooms, and a snack place, and you can get some souvenir t-shirts. There is a place to wash your feet - handy- and not much else, but it's fine for us. There may have been more things but I didn't notice them. DH states there are lockers- but we didn't use them.)

Step 7: What goes down, must go up, it seems, so we had to wander up to the top again ... but up is much easier than down, ironically. (No caves.) It's still up, but it's not bad at all if you take your time.

This led us to the restaurant at the top - there are also a lot of little shops and a pool, and, bizarrely, Conor wanted to swim in the pool... so we let him. It's small, but hey, much less crowded than those on the ship, so why not? (It's free.)

Lunch was pretty good- mostly seafood of the fried variety, but yummy. We perused the shops and bought a few souvenirs, and then waited for what seemed like a long time for the taxi, but I think we were all just exhausted from the morning's fun.

Finally- the taxi arrived, in plenty of time for the 3:30 p.m. ferry departure, which would get us back in plenty of time for our 5:45 all aboard.

Step 8/9/10: Basically we reversed 1, 2 and 3 (so 3, 2, and 1....!) and got back to the ship by 4:30 or so (we were slowed down by the need to buy an ice cream).

So- that's it. I forget how much it all cost, but it was WAY less than what we would have paid on DCL, and we avoided most line-ups, and hassles, and schedules.

Next post... on board, after our wild excitement on shore. And more photos. I hope. Maybe. We'll see.

Last edited:
The pictures in this installment do show, and it looks like you're adding more right now.
Always a pleasure to read you.

Day 4- wrapping up in an anticlimactic fashion.

We were drooping by the time we returned to our cabin. Tellingly, all Conor wanted to do was to sit and read. I wanted to lie and sleep. Not sure what DH wanted as I so very focused on the napping part of things.

Conor really wanted to see Shawn Farquhar that night - the magician he had seen a bit on night 1. We realized there was no way he (or I) could go to supper and then stay up to see the show, so we decided to to skip MDR for the first time ever (except when going to Palo or Remy), and ordered in room service.

(We were diligent enough to phone and let them know that we would not be coming. Ever polite are we!)

We managed to revive enough to head to the show- which was fantastic. Shawn is Canadian, which led to an extra thrill for the boy. He is still talking about the show, and Shawn's super-cheesy jokes to this day.

We even had enough energy to peek at the Pirate Party on deck 11 for a bit... but, contrary to the days of old (when Conor was 4), it was not the highlight of the day for us. :)

We then all agreed to go to bed early, and we did.

And with that ... good night! Tomorrow- I hope - more photos (reviving those that disappeared) and possibly we'll get to St. Thomas.

Sigh.

Greetings Disboardians. I feel honour-bound to report on our (man this is embarrassing) 5th foray onto a DCL cruise.

For those who do not know us- I dubbed us the UnDisney Family back in 2013 when we ventured onto the Fantasy for an Eastern Caribbean trip at the strong suggestion of a friend. At that point, none of us (parents or child) had ever been to any Disney-ish thing- land or sea- ever.

As noted in that TR, we had a great time, but thought we would not be back on the Mouse Boat.

Ahem. We were wrong. VERY WRONG. That mouse is has some serious super-powers, I tell you.

To make a long story short (long stories in TR noted in my signature!), we subsequently did as follows:

a) A 4-night on the Dream in 2014 because, well, there was this conference in Orlando, you see, and my best friend was going to Dream along with us with her kiddos…

b) A 7-night Western Caribbean on the Magic in 2015 because, well, I was too busy to find us a new resort and because, well, there was this deal for Canadian residents …. and...

c) A 7-night Alaskan route in 2015 (yes, that’s 2 in 2015 – I know) on the Wonder because, well, Alaska, and on-board booking, and flights on points mostly. (Best vacation EVER.)

So that (hangs head in shame) is a freakin’ Grand Slam. A 100% unintentional Slam, I promise you, but a slam nonetheless.

And now, we have completed a Star Wars Day at Sea Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy (Eastern itinerary). How on earth did that happen?

I blame the Force. Or something like it anyway.

Before I reveal the detailed answers to this imponderable question, let me reintroduce the UnDisney Family.

First- we have Conor, now aged 8.5 going on 45 some days, who first set foot on the Fantasy in 2013 at the age of 4-and-a-half. He loves DCL, and still hates most Disney movies. He has decided that some characters are OK, but not the purpose of his trip. He still loathes Frozen (except Olaf).

He does, though, LOVE Star Wars. He received a Star Wars Lego set when he was 5, and he was hooked. He now owns (from the looks of my basement) most Star Wars Lego much of which he has purchased with his own money from his careful management of his allowance.

Exhibit A: Jedi boy- looking fierce, 3 years ago now at Halloween.

Next, we have DH. He is older than 8 (say 40 years or so), and has just completed a graduate degree as a grown-up, so he deserves a reward. He is a non-Disney guy, but is very fond of DCL (once we decide to go) due to the food, the tastings, the fact that the kiddo loves the clubs on the ship, the good coffee and the general relaxation/park your planning brain aspect once we’re on-board. He is also a lifelong (just about) Star Wars fan.

Finally, we have me. I am also older than 8, but younger than DH. I work in health care and I generally work a lot over the holiday period, so I’m well and truly ready for a break at the end of January. I am neither a Disney fan nor a Star Wars fan but I’m outnumbered. (The 17.5 year old cat doesn’t appear to care one way or another but this does not help me during supper conversation.)

I am in awe of DCL smarts (or “Big Mouse” as I call him/them), and I appreciate how these smarts allow me to have a great vacation. I cringe (sorry) at most of the Princesses (and am grateful I have a boy, I’ll be honest), and crowds, and schedules, so I pack my trusty Kobo (Canadian Kindle), know all the quiet places to find on the ships, and am very grateful to the Rainforest room for escape purposes. I’m the researcher/planner in the family, and DH is good about being the guy I delegate stuff to.

We live in medium-sized-town Ontario, Canada, so we are ready for a break from winter by the time the end of January rolls around, though Conor and I at least enjoy the white stuff.

So- with all that, I’ll end this post, and in the next one, I’ll explain how we

I love your TRs! **insert eating popcorn.gif here**

We do love this stuff, but I realize it's not for everyone- so fair warning.

I think DD would like this and I'd be game to check it out, but I'm sure no one else in the family would have any interest. Perhaps we will consider snorkeling instead.

I watched the random chickens/roosters that live there wander about

This makes me smile. I have no idea why.

We realized there was no way he (or I) could go to supper and then stay up to see the show, so we decided to to skip MDR for the first time ever (except when going to Palo or Remy), and ordered in room service.

Excellent choice. Once you've done all the MDRs, I think a change is nice just because it's a change.

How did the ice snow go?

We have yet to do any excursions that are not through DCL, but one day we shall brave it on our own :thumbsup2

Love your photos (yes I can see them all!) I knew from reading previous trip reports that when we went to Tortola we would NOT be doing the Baths because we would have two very grumpy/whiny girls to contend with. Or one of them would be and the other would tolerate it lol I hope to return to Tortola at some point and do the Baths when they are a bit older. The excursion we chose was ok but not fabulous. Still, an ok excursion in Tortola beats a dreary cold/wet/snowy day in Vancouver any day :cool1:

I think DD would like this and I'd be game to check it out, but I'm sure no one else in the family would have any interest. Perhaps we will consider snorkeling instead.

This makes me smile. I have no idea why.

Excellent choice. Once you've done all the MDRs, I think a change is nice just because it's a change.

How did the ice snow go?

The Baths is definitely not an excursion I'd want to do if anyone was unsure about it - it was great for us though!

The ice show was great. Conor loved skating in the opening number for the first time with the bigger kids and (gasp) the 3 other boys in the club (ratio on the ice 4 boys to 49 girls). The other boys were all in the 12-13 year age, not necessarily known for sophisticated social skills, and yet were super-nice and great with the kiddo. We took a brief break (5 days) and are back at it with spring skating on Tuesday.

Thanks!

We have yet to do any excursions that are not through DCL, but one day we shall brave it on our own :thumbsup2

Love your photos (yes I can see them all!) I knew from reading previous trip reports that when we went to Tortola we would NOT be doing the Baths because we would have two very grumpy/whiny girls to contend with. Or one of them would be and the other would tolerate it lol I hope to return to Tortola at some point and do the Baths when they are a bit older. The excursion we chose was ok but not fabulous. Still, an ok excursion in Tortola beats a dreary cold/wet/snowy day in Vancouver any day :cool1:

The new photos seem fine, but so were the ones I posted initially in this TR before they all went AWOL- I can't even see them now. :( However, I will fix them because it will drive me nuts until I do...!

Conor's happy places on earth are on a skating rink and outside with nature/rocks/water/sand (though forests will do him well). Having said that, there is no way he could have managed it even last year.

But yes- even the bit of rain we had didn't bother us much!

The other boys were all in the 12-13 year age, not necessarily known for sophisticated social skills, and yet were super-nice and great with the kiddo.

I'm usually impressed by how well boys do with kids who are quite a bit younger than they are. I know my students are always fantastic with my daughter. Now, with each other and kids close to their own age, they are a hot mess.

Day 5 - St. Thomas -version 2.0

We had been to St. Thomas on the Fantasy before (it sounds SOOO weird to be saying that), so we knew it would be easy to do our own thing and be able to avoid the paddles of power like the proverbial plague. We looked at a few options, but ultimately decided (correctly as it turns out) that day 4 would be rather adventurous, so we might want a chill out day on day 5, as, we will all recall, we are on vacation...

Thus, off we went to Magen's Bay.

We didn't quite mandate the early morning regimen of the day before (no ferry to catch) - so we had a more leisurely breakfast at Cabanas (with good coffee from you-know-where), got into our swim stuff again, sun-screened up, and disembarked at 9:15 or so.

This is usually the point where we enjoy being Disney-free. We had passed folks sitting in lounges, looking bored. We passed people festooned with stickers and wrist bands standing in long lines, looking hot and bored. We try not to feel superior, as that would not be nice, but, well, it does sneak in sometimes... remember - we were those people not too long ago.

We walked off the dock, and said: "Magen's Bay please" (we are Canadian - so we are polite) to the nice man there, and he pointed us to a taxi, and we got on it, and within 5 minutes, we were on our way to the beach.

Driving in St. Thomas is not for the faint of heart- much up and down, and steep curves - like many Caribbean islands, but we try to just focus on the scenery, and it was only about 10-15 minutes. Breakfast stayed down :)

St. Thomas was my research project (it took me about, um, 10 minutes to source out this info... that's why I gave Tortola to DH ... because I Am Smart).

Here's the scoop:
  1. You get off the ship and get a taxi as noted above.
  2. You get off the taxi and you find a spot on this AMAZING beach.
  3. You send someone else (DH) off to rent 2 beach chairs, while watching the child frolic in the most amazing water.
  4. You lounge.
  5. When you are done lounging, you return your chairs, and return to where the taxi dropped you off, and get back on a taxi and return to port.
Seriously- it's that easy. It wasn't even crowded at 9:30 a.m. (perhaps not a surprise?). We had no trouble finding a spot we liked very close to where we were dropped off , with shade, and I think the hardest thing (according to DH) was dragging the chairs over to our spot.

There is a snack bar - I know we got some pizza to share for lunch, and it was expensive (for pizza) but decent- did the trick anyway. There were change rooms and bathrooms, which were OK, according to DH.

Seriously though- if you are thinking of going rogue and abandoning Big Mouse for once- this is an easy one to try. And once again, way, way, way less expensive than the official Port Adventure.

Doing it on your own means you arrive when you want (before the masses) and you leave when you want- huge bonus for us. Things started to get busy at about 1:00 or so (when more of the official excursions arrived), so we decided to leave.

And with that, I (I hope!) give you photos. It was just about perfection- and until 1:00 p.m. really not at all crowded, as you will see.

Conor's nearly private beach (it's a rough life for sure)

IMG_9592.jpg

Doing a spiral (skating term for the uninitiated) on the sand to send to his coach for her birthday. (Seriously though- still not crowded)

IMG_9602.jpg

Not crowded ... and amazingly beautiful.

IMG_9608.jpg

I think we spent about 3.5 hours on the beach, and that was about right for us. Even as it got more crowded, it wasn't overwhelming though, but I suppose we left before peak hours hit. Because antisocial. :)

Back on board, we had more lunch (read: Conor needed more lunch) and then DH went off to see if there was anything in Duty Free that he needed (I question the word 'need', but I shut up, because marriage).

Guess what Conor and I did .... ? (Note the latest Star Wars shirt- the blue one from the day before was one as well- we continue the streak).

IMG_9620.JPG

Somewhere in there, we apparently needed a rest... and I *finally* got a good porthole photo. Only takes me 5 cruises...

IMG_9625.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was spent in unproductive and frivolous splendor. Conor swam a bit when the pools weren't crowded. We delivered a few more FEs as we weren't quite done. I tortured the child into doing a bit of homework and writing some postcards. We fed Conor supper up on Deck 11, as he would be spending supper at the Lab, as his parents were abandoning him to go to Remy again.

We parental units ensured we met Remy's supper dress code, and we dropped the kiddo off ... and I'll leave off here and pick up in the next post, as I'm working this Easter Monday, so off I must go!

Last edited:
The pictures in this installment do show, and it looks like you're adding more right now.
Always a pleasure to read you.

Thanks! And we'll see if they stay...

I'm usually impressed by how well boys do with kids who are quite a bit younger than they are. I know my students are always fantastic with my daughter. Now, with each other and kids close to their own age, they are a hot mess.

Hot mess sounds just about right...! :)

We are going to "The Baths" next month on The Magic. Our stay is short only till 2:45, so I won't risk going on our own, but many people say that's the best way. I hope we can get some enjoyment with the crowds. From What I see we are the only ship in port that day.
Thanks for the water shoe tip!

Departure day! (OK - departure day only if you count driving to Toronto...)

Thursday morning arrived and I was officially on vacation. Our plan was for Conor to go to school as usual and, provided the weather agreed, we would pick him up at 3:00 (end of the day) and hit the road for Toronto, ideally with him all worn out from school/friends/etc.

A few days before, I had learned that one of the gurus in my field (who also happens to be a great speaker) would be coming to speak at my institution at 7:45 a.m. on my first day of vacation. I elected to start off vacation by going to hear him speak because #GeekAmI . He was spectacular, so I stayed for breakfast and another talk. (In case you had any delusions about how hip I am.)

I returned home all wired and excited, and annoyed DH to no end by chattering away about said guru. Finally, I settled into the final packing stages .. and discovered that my new suitcase (replacement for one with busted wheels) was messing up The System. It was just a bit bigger and a bit heavier, and this meant I was way off on my packing as it weighed way too much more than my 50lb allotment. Eek!

We do not panic since we are not flying out until tomorrow morning. We do our best, revisit a few things, move a few heavy things to carry-on and (sadly) plan on another stage of the great luggage rearrangement in a hotel room. Hmph.

Regardless, I was able to cross off the last things on my list (unplug non-essential things, leave out medication schedule for geriatric-cat, triple check things like passports and bags, and on it goes), and we headed off to get the kiddo, his homework (entirely manageable), and to say good-bye to legions (it seemed) of friends at school.

Bandwagon jumpers we are not

Some folks are late to the Star Wars scene and that's totally fine. However, this is not, so to speak, our first rodeo.

Exhibit A) We realized while packing that, completely unintentionally, Conor could wear a different Star Wars shirt every day on our trip (not just the cruise part of things). I had honestly not realized he had this many t-shirts that were Star Wars-y - but, well, he did.

We obviously took this as a sign of how he should be dressed on vacation. :chewy:

Here we are at a not-very-exciting rest stop, visiting the washrooms and getting a snack, posing with cheesy Canadiana, wearing Star Wars outfit #1 - the ever exciting track suit. This is (I kid you not) the second version he has of this splendid attire - he outgrew the smaller size and had loved it so much I was relieved to find it in the next size up. Phew. It has shiny gold lettering on the arms and the pants. Snazzy.

IMG_9376.jpg

Stay tuned for 8 (I think) more t-shirts... and that is not counting PJs, or the actual SWDAS attire.

Airport hotel - how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Our drive was uneventful and we even found a decent parking spot at the hotel - above ground, but c'est la vie. Checking in was painless and they had a roll-away cot for Conor (dubbed, in a previous TR, as a 'prince-sized' bed by the young man). We basically did a dump and run to go and eat, and then Conor and I walked about to get me to my 10,000 steps (bonus of airport hotels) and to tire him out as that wasn't happening fast enough.

I then had to face harsh reality, and rearrange all of our luggage. We mandated that Conor have a bath (to get him out of the way to be perfectly honest- you can send the parents of the year award to our home address anytime) and a great exchange transpired. I jettisoned a number of things that were filed under "nice to have". Small but heavy-ish things went into carry-on luggage so long as they passed the carry-on rules. Many things shifted between our 3 bags. Cursing under my breath did *not* happen ... much.

Finally, I got Big Purple (new luggage) down to 48 lbs, after basically totally repacking. And I realized that due to my unexpected discovery of Big Purple's size, I had forgotten my last item on my list... socks. Fortunately, these were not too essential for the next 24 hours. I still managed to have out what we needed for bedtime, and for the plane the next day. I felt vaguely vindicated.

We instituted our usual pre-vacation breakfast plan - order 1 room service breakfast ahead of time, with extra coffee & toast, so that we can nibble and organize ourselves for the day without rushing/stressing about breakfast. While the cost is stupidly outrageous in general for this sort of thing, it gets much less painful when you realize that by just adding a bit of extra toast 3 people can have a reasonably-sized breakfast in the room.

Conor, as planned, crashed within about 1 minute of head-pillow contact. I followed fairly soon afterwards and DH retreated to grab a beer to recover from the great packing debacle of 2017.

Next up .... Orlando.
Hello! Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the TR thus far (I never doubted you lol), but I am unable to view the pics. Even when I click on the link that takes me to Photobucket.

Help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter