WDW with service dog; tell me all about your experience!

I checked the IAADP site allready. Doesn't look like any of our national organisations are linked, but that's not a big deal. Praise internet for the possibility to connect so easily allover the world. I'll end up joining soon, I reckon.

When I got my first active wheelchair it was like getting to know a whole new world, and now with the SD in my very near future it feels the same way. Good feeling, I must say. :grouphug:

Well, maybe you can tell your school about IAADP and the conference - could be they don't know about it 'cause the conference hasn't ever been outside of the US before.

Well, the title says it all really; I want to read all about others experience with taking their service dog to WDW.

We just came back from WDW. Both of my kids have SDs. They're also IAADP members.

Everything was wonderful. People were very nice. The dogs rode several rides. We went at a slower time of year, which I'd think would be best, due to the possible high heat in Florida. We went to Magic Kingdom, Epcott, Animal Kingdom, and MGM (OK, I know that's not what it's called anymore, but...). Since my hubby and I are chickens, we stayed with the dogs when the kids rode on the scarier rides. This wasn't a big deal as the kids are not all that brave either.

We went to Ohana's for breakfast. Pluto took off his dog collar, put it on Rebel, my DS's dog, and hid from my daughter. It was a wonderful interaction and a great experience for her. Pluto is her favorite character.

We stayed at the Polynesian. We had a great room. We were on the main floor towards the end of the complex. We were close to a potty place. The only issue we had were the ducks that camped outside the door. They didn't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the box. I mean, the dogs didn't seem to faze the birds. Thankfully, they are very well trained SDs.

Congratulations! I'll never forget the day that my SD organization found a match for me ( I was quite fortunate and only waited a few months, paying nothing) and my SD walked up the ramp to my home for our first greeting. Now I'm madly in love and she hasn't left my side for even a minute during the past 2 1/2 years we've been together. Please keep us posted as to when you receive your SD- I'm so excited for you to find a new world of independence via a SD.---Kathy ( and Skye)

OT- dclfun, the picture of your SD with Snow White in your sig is adorable!:goodvibes

Thank you! When I first got Skye I slowly introduced her to the characters since we're at WDW alot as we live only 30 min. away. She really had a "passion" for Snow White and I think unless I had told her "no" she'd have been in Snow White's lap and licking off all her makeup. Snow White was so gracious and I really appreciated the time she took to make Skye comfortable with someone who didn't look quite like the norm,lol. Skye also likes Pluto alot and if I let her interact she'll sit calmly and wait to be petted. Pluto is usually quite the charmer and will also "sit" when I tell Skye to "sit" and lots of other guests have photos I think of her offering Pluto her paw for a mutual paw-shake. Disney really is a magical place even for a hardworking SD!---Kathy

Thank you! When I first got Skye I slowly introduced her to the characters since we're at WDW alot as we live only 30 min. away. She really had a "passion" for Snow White and I think unless I had told her "no" she'd have been in Snow White's lap and licking off all her makeup. Snow White was so gracious and I really appreciated the time she took to make Skye comfortable with someone who didn't look quite like the norm,lol. Skye also likes Pluto alot and if I let her interact she'll sit calmly and wait to be petted. Pluto is usually quite the charmer and will also "sit" when I tell Skye to "sit" and lots of other guests have photos I think of her offering Pluto her paw for a mutual paw-shake. Disney really is a magical place even for a hardworking SD!---Kathy

AWWW! I didn't even think about Pluto! I bet that is a cute pic. Last time we went, we saw a family with a SD meeting Mickey. They got a pic of Mickey doing the "bad dog" finger shake at their SD. I swear, the dog had the cutest look on their face, like "who me?":rotfl:

Here are pics of our trip (last week) with my daughters SD. He rode *everything* he was allowed to ride. He didn't care for the teacups or Dumbo, but he did great! The only thing he didn't do so great with was seagulls. He had never seen them and well, he is a bird dog. We put him down and made him watch them awhile. We need a trip to the beach for some seagull training. He really loves birds *sigh*. Thats his *one* bad trait. He also sometimes wants to greet other dogs with one *woof*. His training team said this was fine as long as it was not excessive barking, etc. I don't care for it, but it does seem to be his nature and as long as its never dog agression thats ok I guess.

Pics
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v432/_kulali_/Disney08/

You can also read about our not-so-great experience checking into the POLY. Under the topic "leaving sat.... ??s" or something similar.

One other thing I did notice is that because her dog doesn't wear a harness and I am not blind (I handled the dog at disney because my daughter was simply too busy with everything going on and she is 4). He didn't love that I was handler and he was attached to me, but he can deal for a couple of days. He was still plenty close enough to alert at all times (except at night I walked him while daddy got her ready for bed). Anyway, I am not blind and he was not in a harness so we were asked a few times if he was a "seeing eye dog in training". Although it is clear his vest reads "MEDICAL ALERT SERVICE DOG" *shrug*.... oh and once we were asked "What is that?"

~Beth

Here are pics of our trip (last week) with my daughters SD. He rode *everything* he was allowed to ride. He didn't care for the teacups or Dumbo, but he did great!
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Really cute. I especially liked the dog with the Mickey Ears
You can also read about our not-so-great experience checking into the POLY. Under the topic "leaving sat.... ??s" or something similar.
Here's a Link to your other post you referred to.
One other thing I did notice is that because her dog doesn't wear a harness and I am not blind (I handled the dog at disney because my daughter was simply too busy with everything going on and she is 4). He didn't love that I was handler and he was attached to me, but he can deal for a couple of days. He was still plenty close enough to alert at all times (except at night I walked him while daddy got her ready for bed). Anyway, I am not blind and he was not in a harness so we were asked a few times if he was a "seeing eye dog in training". Although it is clear his vest reads "MEDICAL ALERT SERVICE DOG" *shrug*.... oh and once we were asked "What is that?"

~Beth
A lot of people still think of Seeing Eye Dogs as the only kind of Service Dogs that there are, so I guess the questions are rude, but not surprising.

I loved the picture but now cry because the dog is exactly like Bruce Speckles, my dad's dog. I have not seen a dog marked like him let alone quite like him. He was my Dads buddy and I kept him after dad died. You are blessed to have your dog.

Thanks for the pictures and info on your trip. My friends loved the picture of Dopey and the dog.

hugs
Laurie

Thanks for the great photos. Your daughter looks as though she was having a wonderful time! Did you find it difficult to access the break areas at MK? I have always found that park to be the worst in terms of SD break areas and needing to find a CM to move a barrier, etc. Also I didn't think SD's were allowed on Dumbo or the Teacups. I would never subject my SD to a spinning or elevated ride where she could get out of the ride vehicle in a panic but I'm glad yours tolerated those attractions. Mine has never tried to leave a ride vehicle but I'm sure if a dog became frightened or uncomfortable enough, instinct might take over. I really wouldn't have considered either of those attractions to be safe for a SD. Funny about the birds- Skye would have the same reaction with rabbits if I let her get away with it. A dog is a dog.----Kathy

Also I didn't think SD's were allowed on Dumbo or the Teacups. A dog is a dog.----Kathy
I did not think service dogs could go on ether ride but Disney web site only has restrictions for service dogs on

* Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
* Peter Pan's Flight
* Space Mountain
* Splash Mountain
* The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm

Maybe they revisited some of there restrictions?

I think the first time a SD becomes injured or ill on Dumbo or the Teacups ( what dog would like to be spun rapidly?) they'll revisit the restrictions which IMO should still be in place. ---Kathy

The first time on teacups he was antsy. When we went back 2 days later he was fine. Jumped right in, didn't hesitate. Dumbo is elevated. Elevation isn't an issue. Dumbo has the sunken floor and he layed on the floor. I don't think dumbo was the issue. The problem was my 6 yr old was making it "bounce" as much as he could. Peter Pan is elevated, but the floor is flat, not sunken. That is what causes the restriction. While fine on Dumbo I think being able to see on peter pan would have really upset him. Thankfully he is very very laid back and doesn't really become upset.

He really disliked the hats more than any of the rides ;).

As for the break areas.... I think Disney is COMPLETELY lacking in all parks for break areas. They should have 2 nice break areas in each park with a small fence and a flat level grass areas with even a bench. Dollywood is a much much smaller place and their break areas put Disney to shame.

Those pictures were great! I like the expressions on the kid's faces! (especially on the tea cup and with Minnie)

Skye also likes Pluto alot and if I let her interact she'll sit calmly and wait to be petted. Pluto is usually quite the charmer and will also "sit" when I tell Skye to "sit" and lots of other guests have photos I think of her offering Pluto her paw for a mutual paw-shake.

Pluto was wonderful to my daughter and her SD also. We were at Ohana and Pluto took off his collar, placed it on my daughter's SD, then ran away because he had no collar. He hid and my daughter went to find him. He ran from her a couple of times. He posed with my daughter. Posed with Rebel. When he saw us walking out he walked us out the door. When Katie made a comment about the tag on his collar (If found, please return to Mickey) he turned the tag over so we couldn't see it. This happened on our first morning at Disney so was a wonderful start to the vacation.

News, finally!!

Last thursday I had a visit from my contact at the dogschool and one of their dogtrainers. But way more important; one of their dogs. It was a visit to see if the dog and I would click and if all of us would be positive about maybe teaming the two of us up. Conclusion of that day? A team we will be!

It's a him, a blonde lab born on christmas eve 2005. His name? Xippe. It's a dog with a story and caractre, just like me. Unbeknownst to me, I've been having his picture in my home since beginning of this year. Talk about somethings are ment to be. One of the things they focussed on is lust for travel, which is a good thing. ;)

I was starting to become a bit worried about coming closer to my traveldate and not knowing anything yet, but according to the dogschool and Xippes trainer, it should be no problem at all to bring him along in december. They actually are very positive about doing it. We'll see. :)

Positive side of him being in training/with the trainer longer than average/needed is that we need less time to focus on that part of our teamtraining. And I must say, if I can take thursday as a predictor of the future; wow. He has some mnor points of attention but is very eager to work, very focussed on me and very skilled.

We'll be starting our teamtraining next month and he'll be moving in with me during that month also. Can't wait! :banana:

My father in law has a seeing eye dog. A golden retriever named Pride. He has taken Pride to Disneyland 3 times this December. Pride goes on some of the tamer rides and the staff are great about him. We take him to restaraunts all the time and he just sleeps under the table. Watch out for some of the people in the park that will reach out and think it is ok to pet the dog.

Thnx Ms Butterfly.

I find it a bit difficult to explain the pronounciation of the name, so bare with me!

X - just like the x in Texas (so "ks"-sound)
ip - ip, sounds same as "it" (short I-sound) but with a P at the end
pe - like "the", but starting with a P

So it's more or less like kszippuh.

Has anybody stayed at CBR before with a SD? Any specific dos and don'ts for that resort? I did CBR last year, but now it's like discovering it all over again. :)

And what about the weather in december? I know in september the concrete is very warm for a dogs paw, so I'll be getting Xippe some protective booties for next years trip. But what about december? Can it still hit the high eighties higher weatherwise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter