WDW while pregnant. What can't I do?

floridafam

DIS Veteran
I was reading over on allearsnet.com and it says expectant moms should not go on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Any experience with this?

Someone also posted a comment on there that said pregnant women should not go down water slides. I've never heard that.

Any advice?

Kilimanjaro Safari's is fine for the most part. If you don't want to be bumped around too much request the front row of seats. I'd probably skip it later on in pregnancy though....wouldn't be comfortable and might be enough to break the water bag if its already reached its limits! I did ride it during pregnancy several times...all in the first and second trimester.

As far as waterslides...I've also heard that pregnant women shouldn't ride them. They say there is the possibility for air to be forced up the birth canal, which can kill you. Then again, you may want to ask your midwife or ob if this is really true. Its not something I ever inquired about. I'm not a huge fan of waterslides anyway.

When I went to WDW at approx. 5 weeks pregnant I pretty much rode everything...figuring it would be entirely possible for me to not know I was pregnant at the time and with the baby the size of a grain of rice, he was pretty well protected. When I was at WDW during my second trimester (during 2 of my pregnancies) I just skipped the "thrill" rides. I still did Kilimanjaro. I think I skipped anything that had restraints that my belly would come into contact with too....like Kali River Rapids. The only other thing I rode that had a pregnancy warning I think was the Tomorrowland Speedway....and I had my dh ride in the car behind me so I knew I wouldn't get rear ended.

Most of the thrill rides probably wouldn't even hurt the baby...its the possibilty of being slammed hard into the restraints if anything goes less than perfectly during the ride. If they have to pull the emergency brakes on a fast ride its going to be a harder stop than on Winnie the Pooh.

Basically, use common sense and watch for warnings...also consult your pregnancy care provider. Also, I forgot to add....drink plenty of water and rest as you need to! Water is most important...dehydration can really mess you up during pregnancy!

Thanks! :flower1:

We're going to be mostly relaxing on this trip so I don't have too much to worry about. :wave:

I rode the safari at 15 weeks pregnant. i had no problems with it. We never made it to Tomorrowland Indy Speedway but I had planned on doing it. Everything else that had a warning I did not do. I have been told not to do water slides also. Have fun! There is still so much you can do.

With water slides there is also the possiblity of infection from water getting into the birth canal. Normal bathing and swimming are not problems. And no hot tubs- both infection and increased body temperature are the hazards there.

First Congrats!!!! A new baby how wonderful. Heed any ride restrictions - better safe than sorry. Drink lots of water (more than you think you need), take lots of breaks (get off those feet). Use this opportunity to see a WDW you nrmally wouldn't. See shows you'd usually pass on, really enjoy looking around. Really take your time exploring - different coutries in Epcot see all their shows,people watch, snack without guilt ( hey, Mickey bars have calcium). Just relax and enjoy and focus on all the fun things you'll do with your new little princess.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I went to WDW with DH in Sept when I was 27weeks pregnant. We really enjoyed ourselves because we knew it would be the last "couples" trip for awhile. As the PP said, we saw lots of thing we dont normally do..shows, exhibits, etc...so take time to enjoy those also. I did ride more than I thought I could but stayed away from the roller coasters. I also didnt do Splash Mtn because my OB said the way you sit in the log could cause problems if you knees go into your stomach so I stayed away from that one also. Other than that, I did all the slower rides and enjoyed myself.

It was hot when we were there, so make sure you stay hydrated. I carried a Brita bottle in a holder everywhere I went. We filled it with ice at every stop for food and I asked the concessions for ice alot of times--which is free. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes and rest when you need to. We would go in the am and come back to the room around early afternoon--take a snooze--and then went back for dinner and fireworks. It worked out nice. Enjoy yourself and have fun!

Stephanie

Thanks, everyone.

We've been moving so I haven't had time to read here. Gonna do that now.

Thanks again! :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter