WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi SueM, I use a scooter when at WDW due to back and hip issues. I have never gotten a DAS. (I know how the old system works because sometimes I travel with my nephew who has a DAS). Here is my question... over the years I have had Disney cast members at various attractions ask me if I had a DAS, when I would say no, they would tell me I should go to Guest relations and ask for one. Then they have done one of three things... send me thru the regular stand by lane, or send me thru the fast pass lane, or send me around to an "exit" to a cast member who assists my loading on the ride. The last two times I was there, Dec 2019 and April 2021, I had more and more cast members telling me to request a DAS. So my question for you is... should I get an appt to talk to someone about getting a DAS or not? I'm not sure I really qualify which is why I have not requested one so far. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Hi SueM, I use a scooter when at WDW due to back and hip issues. I have never gotten a DAS. (I know how the old system works because sometimes I travel with my nephew who has a DAS). Here is my question... over the years I have had Disney cast members at various attractions ask me if I had a DAS, when I would say no, they would tell me I should go to Guest relations and ask for one. Then they have done one of three things... send me thru the regular stand by lane, or send me thru the fast pass lane, or send me around to an "exit" to a cast member who assists my loading on the ride. The last two times I was there, Dec 2019 and April 2021, I had more and more cast members telling me to request a DAS. So my question for you is... should I get an appt to talk to someone about getting a DAS or not? I'm not sure I really qualify which is why I have not requested one so far. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
I know you were directing your question to Sue, but I'll throw in my two cents! I think it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone to find out if you qualify. You simply need to discuss with them what accommodations you need and they'll let you know. You don't lose anything by doing it except some time!

This is what WDW website says about guests using wheelchairs or ECVs:

« Other Considerations
A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction that is comparable to the current standby wait. If you’re a Guest who has mobility questions or concerns, please view Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities. »

In the DAS FAQs, the website restates the same information:
« If a Guest’s disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter, are they eligible to receive DAS?
No. A Guest whose disability requires them to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. If a Guest requires additional assistance, they should go to Guest Relations. »

So, depending on the attraction, without DAS you should have been sent thru the regular line or, if the regular line is not accessible, received a wheelchair return time.

If using the scooter in lines meets your needs, you would not need DAS. CMs at attractions may recommend it, but in the past, they sometimes didn’t even realize guests didn’t need DAS to a wheelchair or ECV in lines.

This is what the WDW website says about who DAS is and how it works

« What is Disability Access Service (DAS), and how does it work?
Disability Access Service (DAS) is designed to accommodate Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). The service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction. It does not provide immediate attraction access. »

Some people using a mobility device have multiple other disability related issues that prevent them from waiting in the regular lines.
My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy, which prevents her from walking, standing or transferring herself. She uses a wheelchair for those issues and if those were her only issues, she would not need DAS. She qualifies for DAS based on other issues that the wheelchair doesn’t address.
So, it really depends on whether or not your needs are met by using the scooter in lines.

I’ve been wondering something and I don’t think I’ve seen it asked before: what about stroller as a wheelchair? Do I still have to go to guest services to ask for it?

I’ve been wondering something and I don’t think I’ve seen it asked before: what about stroller as a wheelchair? Do I still have to go to guest services to ask for it?
Yes
According to the Disney Website Disability page:
« Strollers As Wheelchairs
Guests with disabilities—including those with a cognitive disability—who need to remain in a stroller while in an attraction queue should visit the Guest Relations Lobby at the theme parks in order to obtain the appropriate identifying tag. »

This specific language is new, from what I recall. I don’t remember ever seeing anyone post they got one from the CMs at the blue Guest Services umbrellas. Since the website specifies the Guest Relations Lobby, it sounds like tests the only place.

Yes
According to the Disney Website Disability page:
« Strollers As Wheelchairs
Guests with disabilities—including those with a cognitive disability—who need to remain in a stroller while in an attraction queue should visit the Guest Relations Lobby at the theme parks in order to obtain the appropriate identifying tag. »

This specific language is new, from what I recall. I don’t remember ever seeing anyone post they got one from the CMs at the blue Guest Services umbrellas. Since the website specifies the Guest Relations Lobby, it sounds like tests the only place.
Thanks! That red tag is as much a lifesaver for my family as the DAS itself, so I’ve been dying to know

This is what WDW website says about guests using wheelchairs or ECVs:

« Other Considerations
A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction that is comparable to the current standby wait. If you’re a Guest who has mobility questions or concerns, please view Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities. »

In the DAS FAQs, the website restates the same information:
« If a Guest’s disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter, are they eligible to receive DAS?
No. A Guest whose disability requires them to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. If a Guest requires additional assistance, they should go to Guest Relations. »

So, depending on the attraction, without DAS you should have been sent thru the regular line or, if the regular line is not accessible, received a wheelchair return time.

If using the scooter in lines meets your needs, you would not need DAS. CMs at attractions may recommend it, but in the past, they sometimes didn’t even realize guests didn’t need DAS to a wheelchair or ECV in lines.

This is what the WDW website says about who DAS is and how it works

« What is Disability Access Service (DAS), and how does it work?
Disability Access Service (DAS) is designed to accommodate Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). The service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction. It does not provide immediate attraction access. »

Some people using a mobility device have multiple other disability related issues that prevent them from waiting in the regular lines.
My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy, which prevents her from walking, standing or transferring herself. She uses a wheelchair for those issues and if those were her only issues, she would not need DAS. She qualifies for DAS based on other issues that the wheelchair doesn’t address.
So, it really depends on whether or not your needs are met by using the scooter in lines.
thank you

Question - I went through the pre-arrival DAS on video chat prior to 10/19/21 when Genie launched, my trip doesn't start until mid-November. In MDE, should I see the DAS Tile? I assumed it would show up for my first park day because that is when my DAS technically starts. But I saw someone else mention that it showed up right after they finished their chat and wasn't sure if others had already started to see the DAS tile popup and if I should contact them via chat again to get this corrected. Thanks!

Question - I went through the pre-arrival DAS on video chat prior to 10/19/21 when Genie launched, my trip doesn't start until mid-November. In MDE, should I see the DAS Tile? I assumed it would show up for my first park day because that is when my DAS technically starts. But I saw someone else mention that it showed up right after they finished their chat and wasn't sure if others had already started to see the DAS tile popup and if I should contact them via chat again to get this corrected. Thanks!
From what I’ve been seeing posted, people who preregistered for DAS with video chat have been able to see their DAS Advance Selections.
Reports have indicated they have not been able to see anything else in the app that indicates DAS has been registered for them.
People who have been at the parks and used DAS on their phone have said the tile and link to choose DAS Return Times has only shown up after they enter a park.

So if we are going for 8-9 days with annual passes and not staying on-site, we can only book 5 days of park reservations at a time. I was planning to just add a day at a time as we use the previous ones. But does this mean we would have to chat every day to make new advance DAS passes as we add days on?!?

So if we are going for 8-9 days with annual passes and not staying on-site, we can only book 5 days of park reservations at a time. I was planning to just add a day at a time as we use the previous ones. But does this mean we would have to chat every day to make new advance DAS passes as we add days on?!?
No one has posted about that exact situation that I have seen.
Right now, people have posted that if they did the video DAS registration they were able to call back and make DAS Advance Selections if some of their park reservations were greater than 30 days from the day they called. That would be similar to your situation with annual passes.
What we don’t know is whether this is temporary as the process is new or if it will continue.

Another question: Does anyone know if the DAS Advance selections are somehow tied to your resort or tickets -- or park reservations? Like, if you call in and pick things 30 days ahead of time then decide to stay offsite and cancel your room before arrival, will your DAS selections be ok as long as your park reservations stay intact?

Another question: Does anyone know if the DAS Advance selections are somehow tied to your resort or tickets -- or park reservations? Like, if you call in and pick things 30 days ahead of time then decide to stay offsite and cancel your room before arrival, will your DAS selections be ok as long as your park reservations stay intact?
You have to have valid admission and park reservations, so if you park reservations are canceled, I would expect your advance selections would be canceled as well. But you do not have to stay on property to get advance reservations, so if you are just changing from staying on site to offsite, I would think you would be OK as long as it doesn't affect your admission or park reservations.

But I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

You have to have valid admission and park reservations, so if you park reservations are canceled, I would expect your advance selections would be canceled as well. But you do not have to stay on property to get advance reservations, so if you are just changing from staying on site to offsite, I would think you would be OK as long as it doesn't affect your admission or park reservations.

But I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.
Thanks. I would assume that it's linked to park reservations, too, so as long as those stay, the advance selections should as well. We have APs.

Thanks. I would assume that it's linked to park reservations, too, so as long as those stay, the advance selections should as well. We have APs.
The DAS Advance Selections are tied to park reservations. I‘ve seen multiple reports that if the park reservation is cancelled/changes to a different park , the DAS Advance Selections tied to that reservation disappear.

My family has Annual Passes, but we are out of state DVC members. Because, we are staying at a WDW resort, we are able to make park reservations for each day of our stay. I don’t know what happens to park reservations for AP holders who make them for an onsite stay and then change to offsite. I don’t know if they stay or are decreased to the number an AP holder without a WDW resort can hold.

The DAS Advance Selections are tied to park reservations. I‘ve seen multiple reports that if the park reservation is cancelled/changes to a different park , the DAS Advance Selections tied to that reservation disappear.

My family has Annual Passes, but we are out of state DVC members. Because, we are staying at a WDW resort, we are able to make park reservations for each day of our stay. I don’t know what happens to park reservations for AP holders who make them for an onsite stay and then change to offsite. I don’t know if they stay or are decreased to the number an AP holder without a WDW resort can hold.
APs can have five park reservations on their AP and that's what I have, so I should be OK. But that is good info.

APs can have five park reservations on their AP and that's what I have, so I should be OK. But that is good info.
Thanks. I knew 5 were allowed, so sounds like you will have no issues. I don’t know what happens if someone had a larger number, like 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter