WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We finally gave in and cancelled our trip which had been scheduled to start 6/25. We were using DVC points, so we probably are just going to lose our points now, which kind of sucks (though I understand the availability issue with DVC points just piling up). Fortunately, Disney said they would give us a refund on our VAH tix for 6/26 (though I have not seen a confirmation or anything yet). We are not even rescheduling at the moment. Just not sure when we will be comfortable going there.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-from-chief-medical-officer-dr-pamela-hymel/Dear Guests,

As you may have heard at Disney’s Q2 FY20 Earnings Results Webcast, our CEO Bob Chapek announced that Shanghai Disney Resort will begin the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland on May 11 – an encouraging sign for Disney parks and retail locations all over the world. After so much time at home, I know many of you are eager to enjoy the magic of a Disney parks visit, and we can’t wait to welcome you back.

I’m fortunate to work with Disney’s extraordinarily talented team of health and safety experts who are some of the most experienced in the industry. Together, with our colleagues in operations, and local health and government authorities, we’re evaluating several new and enhanced safety measures to do our part towards helping us stay well while we work, stay, and play at a Disney resort and a Disney store. I’m also working closely with the US Travel Association on a set of guidelines the travel industry may tailor to their individual businesses to help demonstrate that safety of travelers is a top focus.

To that end, I want to share an update with you about our plans and considerations as we prepare for the reopening of our parks, resorts and stores. At Disney, we’re exploring:

• Phased reopening: We’re looking at all of our locations and how best to begin the reopening process, including a gradual reopening and/or partial reopening of certain locations. For example, the opening of retail and dining locations prior to the opening of our theme parks.
  • Physical distancing and capacity measures: As you can imagine, managing guest density in queues, restaurants, hotels, ride vehicles and other facilities throughout the park and across the resort is a major focus, as we implement physical distancing guidelines based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and appropriate government agencies. This will likely include implementation of guest capacity measures to comply with state and federal guidelines. We’re also exploring ways to use technology to aid us in these efforts, like with our Play Disney Parks App and through virtual queues at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
  • Cleanliness and sanitization: We’re planning increased cleaning and disinfection, determining where that should take place (for example, in high-traffic areas), and the cleaning products and processes we’ll use.
  • Screening and prevention support: We’ll follow guidance from the government and the medical community regarding enhanced screening procedures and prevention measures, including those related to personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings. Some measures, like adding hand sanitizers and hand washing stations across our resorts, have already been implemented.
  • Cast training: We’re further emphasizing our strong culture of health and safety amongst our cast members, and will continue to provide new training and reinforcement as we get closer to reopening.
These are just a few examples of the many areas we are developing plans for, so please keep an eye on our online channels, where we’ll provide more details as we confirm and begin to implement our plans. Given the constantly changing global health environment, these practices may evolve as we consider the latest guidance, but we will share more information with you as we look towards reopening.

In the meantime, our focus remains on the health and safety of the entire Disney community – including the wellbeing of the Cast Members who are caring for and securing our parks and resorts during the closure. We have already implemented a number of enhanced health and safety measures, such as increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfection in work areas, adjusting practices to promote physical distancing, and providing Cast with access to necessary PPE, including face coverings. We continue to learn from these experiences and will carry these lessons into reopening and beyond.

Finally, I want to recognize the medical professionals working to bring care and comfort in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. We will continue to do what we can to help support the medical community and our local communities during this time.

We’re looking forward to welcoming all of you back to our Disney parks, resorts and stores. Until we are together once again, we wish you and your families health, hope, and happiness.

Thank you,

During the Q2 call Bob Chapek was asked about face masks for Shanghai, he said masks will be required for cast and guest and that the only people who would not wear them would be face characters but their meet and greet will be done at a distance.
Remember this is for Shanghai and this has not been confirmed for US parks

Chapek said that for Shanghai they have dated tickets to control the amount of people going to the parks to control capacity, he said they are not sure they will use this same system for the US parks
Shanghai capacity is 80k and the government is capping it to begin with at 30% . Chapek said they will open with less than 24k to start the process and then increase as its possible to do so

Last edited:
Chapek said that for Shanghai they have dated tickets to control the amount of people going to the parks to control capacity, he said they are not sure they will use this same system for the US parks
Shanghai capacity is 80k and the government is capping it to begin with at 30% . Chapek said they will open with less than 24k to start the process and then increase as its possible to do so

Wonder if they uses date tickets what that means for ap holders. Obviously they want to control amount of people

And the call just ended. No opening date for WDW but I wasn't expecting that. They did say as you read in the DPB article that they are thinking of opening restaurants and stores before parks so DS might be opening this month. Some Starbucks employees have already been called back for the end of next week.
The guidelines provided by the doctor are pretty much what we had already had in mind, with the big question mark on masks, if they will be required for guests or not. For Shanghai they will but their culture is already used to that, so it's another wait and see

This information is great. Our reservation at AKL is from 6/1-6/8. We have a back up plan for Anna Maria Island in case Disney doesn't open on time. Our flights are also booked so overall this is a done deal, just not sure Disney will be part of the plan. Keeping fingers crossed that this will all come to fruition, but glad to have a plan B just in case!! I would love to know how many resort/ticket packages are booked for the first week, especially knowing that they will likely open to a limited number of guests.

And the call just ended. No opening date for WDW but I wasn't expecting that. They did say as you read in the DPB article that they are thinking of opening restaurants and stores before parks so DS might be opening this month. Some Starbucks employees have already been called back for the end of next week.
The guidelines provided by the doctor are pretty much what we had already had in mind, with the big question mark on masks, if they will be required for guests or not. For Shanghai they will but their culture is already used to that, so it's another wait and see

The fact that they are now selling masks in adult and child sizes on shopdisney.com to me strongly suggests they envision masks will be worn by guests in the US parks as well.

This information is great. Our reservation at AKL is from 6/1-6/8. We have a back up plan for Anna Maria Island in case Disney doesn't open on time. Our flights are also booked so overall this is a done deal, just not sure Disney will be part of the plan. Keeping fingers crossed that this will all come to fruition, but glad to have a plan B just in case!! I would love to know how many resort/ticket packages are booked for the first week, especially knowing that they will likely open to a limited number of guests.
that's the real question. As of right now the CM deal on 50% off rooms is still available to book for June so I'm guessing they have a lot of rooms available, now the real question is how many will keep reservations if the parks won't be open?

If disney opens travel restrictions should be lifted. One would hope. I plan on June 27 and I’m from upstate NY. I will be there is field Disney is open.
It would have to correspond with the state’s reopening phase. In Florida, nonessential travel is allowed in phase 2 which will be either at the time or before Disney Parks open. There may still be travel restrictions from states though. Currently travelers from NY, NJ, and CT have a 14-day required quarantine period when traveling to FL. We will have to see if that is lifted at phase 2 or beyond.

I certainly hope we get more than a weeks notice. I cannot wait until a week out to find out if we can go or not.
That’s on purpose IMO to assist in crowd control. I wouldn’t expect more than 2 weeks honestly

as for face masks, I don’t see WDW requiring it for guests like Shanghai for two main reasons - weather conditions/safety from not breathing properly as the mask restricts AND most people in China are used to wearing masks so it’s not uncommon but here in the US it is a “new thing”

Chapek's comment that they think they have enough domestic park pent-up demand to hit lower restricted park opening guest counts (I'm paraphrasing, not an exact quote) was interesting to me. Sort of reminded me of Iger's 'we don't need to advertise SWGE, people will just come' comments from awhile back (also paraphrasing there too), which some called out as being overconfident/out of touch.

Outside of the hardcore fans and those with already sunk costs such as APs and DVC, it will be interesting to see just how much pent-up demand there really is in the real world in the face of domestic and global travel cutbacks/restrictions, changes in discretionary spending preferences, and public perception of large gathering places.

Anyway - bordering OT for this thread, just struck me as rather confident (not that I was expecting anything less on an earnings conference call).

Regardless, I'm still game. I want to see what 25% typical capacity (or whatever the number actually ends up being) is like. 8-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter