WDW Commando Club

Wow... I was just looking at some of the current threads & noticed several posters expressing dismay over a change in park hours the week of Thanksgiving. I seems the parks are opening earlier & staying open later that week. The reason people are upset is because they booked pre-rope drop ADRs at CP & were looking forward to seeing Main Street empty, I have an 8:40 at CP on our last park day (2nd MK day). Originally the park was opening at 9, but as of today it's now opening at 8. I'm happy the extra time in the park but it is a little disappointing. Here's what the week is looking so far
11/23 ~ arrive at POR around 5pm, check in, dinner at the food court, swim, explore reality.
11/24 MK~ 8am-1am~ 9am BTMRR FP+, 1:10pm BOG FP, 2:25pm SM FP +, 8:25pm 7DMT FP+.
11/25 HS 9am-10pm ~ 9:20am TOT FP+, 11:10 ADR H&V, 12:45pm TSMM FP+, 2:25pm ST FP+.
11/26 AK~7am-8pm~9:20 Kali FP+, 10:45 EE FP+, 2:20 safari FP+, 6:15 Rainforest cafe ADR.
11/27~Epcot~9am-9pm~9:25 MS FP+, 10:25 TT FP +. 11:25 SE FP+, 1:10 ADR Teppen Edo, 6:30pm ADR , 6;45 ADR La Hacienda de San Angel.
11/28 MK-8am-12am~8:40 CP ADR, 9:40 story time with Belle FP+, 12;45 mermaid makeover at pirates league, 3 pm FOF parade FP+, 5:50 park fair ADR, 9:10 A&E FP+.
11/29 3am ME for 6am flight.

We are not doing park hopper & I don't believe there are any MVMCP that week. DD & I are traveling with my parents & sister (age 21). We'll be staying together some of the time & DD will also have some time off on our own. I have a lot of other things to do between FP & ADRs, but I'm typing this on my iPhone so that's all for now!

10 more days!!

Wow... I was just looking at some of the current threads & noticed several posters expressing dismay over a change in park hours the week of Thanksgiving. I seems the parks are opening earlier & staying open later that week. The reason people are upset is because they booked pre-rope drop ADRs at CP & were looking forward to seeing Main Street empty, I have an 8:40 at CP on our last park day (2nd MK day). Originally the park was opening at 9, but as of today it's now opening at 8. I'm happy the extra time in the park but it is a little disappointing.
!!

We've had that happen before. I'm thinking it was Epcot that changed and had an AM EMH. We had the 8:00 AM Akershus reservation, and it does mess with the plans. Usually, we go ride Soarin first standby with no line and then later that day with FP. We ended up keeping the ADR & missing the extra rides.

In hindsight, I wish I had cancelled or tried to change the ADR to a later time. Which would have meant another change to dinner ADR. But, even walking from BWV, it is still too early to get up on vacation and then lose that extra hour advantage.

With Thanksgiving week, it will be difficult to change ADRs. Good luck and have a great trip.

We've had that happen before. I'm thinking it was Epcot that changed and had an AM EMH. We had the 8:00 AM Akershus reservation, and it does mess with the plans. Usually, we go ride Soarin first standby with no line and then later that day with FP. We ended up keeping the ADR & missing the extra rides. In hindsight, I wish I had cancelled or tried to change the ADR to a later time. Which would have meant another change to dinner ADR. But, even walking from BWV, it is still too early to get up on vacation and then lose that extra hour advantage. With Thanksgiving week, it will be difficult to change ADRs. Good luck and have a great trip.
Thanks! I thought about dropping or changing the ADR, but thinking I'll keep it because we are looking forward to it. It will be our last day before going home & it will just be me & DD7 (parents & sis are "playing it by ear" that day). One ride I'd like to try is Peter Pan. We didn't get to it last trip & it wasn't a priority for a FP+. I'm wondering if we should go for it at 8am RD before heading to CP for the 8:40am ADR?
Also DD & I are really into pressed pennies ... Anyone else? She also has expressed some interest in pin trading..

She also has expressed some interest in pin trading..

I was able to buy 75 pins on ebay for less than $30 including shipping. I split them up between the 6 of us to trade or to keep. Buying in bulk like that made it really affordable and gave each person enough to trade and hopefully find several that each person likes. I already know of one or two in my group that I want to keep! ;)

I was able to buy 75 pins on ebay for less than $30 including shipping. I split them up between the 6 of us to trade or to keep. Buying in bulk like that made it really affordable and gave each person enough to trade and hopefully find several that each person likes. I already know of one or two in my group that I want to keep! ;)
Wow that's really awesome! I've heard it can be a costly hobby!

Mickey (mute), Minnie, and Goofy...the talking one is at MK

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I hadn't heard any changes. We did the talking Mickey for the first time and really had fun with it. I wasn't sure if they were going to make those changes at all the parks.

Thanks! I thought about dropping or changing the ADR, but thinking I'll keep it because we are looking forward to it. It will be our last day before going home & it will just be me & DD7 (parents & sis are "playing it by ear" that day). One ride I'd like to try is Peter Pan. We didn't get to it last trip & it wasn't a priority for a FP+. I'm wondering if we should go for it at 8am RD before heading to CP for the 8:40am ADR?
Also DD & I are really into pressed pennies ... Anyone else? She also has expressed some interest in pin trading..

That sounds fun on the last day. I've never been then and am not sure what the crowd level would be. In my solid commando days, I would make that ride and get back to CP. Now, I go the more leisurely pace when I walk up Main Street.

Sounds like a great deal. I collect pins, but don't trade them. I haven't counted in awhile, but probably have a 100 or sol. And, they definitely cost more than $30 for all of them. :crazy2:

I guess some get a t-shirt on each visit. I get a few pins I really like.

Can I join the fun?

Evidence:
Last trip I had a spreadsheet populated with if/then formulas so that if I took one ride our, it automatically recalculated a new ideal schedule for us

This trip my planning spreadsheet has 41 tabs. One of them is so big and detailed I've named that tab "me...being ridiculous"

The husband has taken to setting the timer on his phone for 10 minutes any time I start talking about Disney. He says it's just too much information for him to process otherwise.

I made said husband sign a piece of paper relinquishing all plan-changing rights (as he learned last trip what happens when you "just wing it" at Disney)

I love the anticipation and planning almost as much as the trip. We go hardcore from rope drop but do take an afternoon nap at the resort each day (and then back for more hardcore park touring until after close-we wait til busses have taken first few loads)

My best tip is cross-referencing all rides/attractions with backup attractions/rides. So, for example, if at HS, the wait for Star Tours is too long for our liking, I have a ranked mental list of what to do as backup (ranked by proximity, likely wait time, and overall priority). I have most if these memorized. But just in case, I print out a shrunken down version and take it with me to the park (along with the other applicable planning pages from our planning binder for that day)

My other tip is to actively plan in time for free choice-or the illusion of it-whenever possible. While my family knows I plan with their priorities in mind, they are much more spontaneous and like feeling like they are taking things as they come. So sometimes I'll act surprised if we come across a character and hide that part on my planning page that says exactly when/where to find that character :-)

I hadn't heard any changes. We did the talking Mickey for the first time and really had fun with it. I wasn't sure if they were going to make those changes at all the parks. That sounds fun on the last day. I've never been then and am not sure what the crowd level would be. In my solid commando days, I would make that ride and get back to CP. Now, I go the more leisurely pace when I walk up Main Street. Sounds like a great deal. I collect pins, but don't trade them. I haven't counted in awhile, but probably have a 100 or sol. And, they definitely cost more than $30 for all of them. :crazy2: I guess some get a t-shirt on each visit. I get a few pins I really like.

The day after Thanksgiving is supposed to be less crowded at MK on Thanksgiving & then Epcot on Friday for the candlelight processional .... We shall see!

The day after Thanksgiving is supposed to be less crowded at MK on Thanksgiving & then Epcot on Friday for the candlelight processional .... We shall see!

What I meant to say is that most people go to MK on Thanksgiving & Epcot the day after .. Lol... We are going to do the opposite, but then lots of other people could have the same idea!!

Can I join the fun?

Evidence:
Last trip I had a spreadsheet populated with if/then formulas so that if I took one ride our, it automatically recalculated a new ideal schedule for us

I made said husband sign a piece of paper relinquishing all plan-changing rights (as he learned last trip what happens when you "just wing it" at Disney)
:-)

Welcome. Our leader will be around to give you a number. The spread sheet is a great idea, and I always like the idea of the back-up plan. If a line is too long, move on and return. Making your husband sign a paper relinquishing rights? Wow, you are taking no prisoners.

What I meant to say is that most people go to MK on Thanksgiving & Epcot the day after .. Lol... We are going to do the opposite, but then lots of other people could have the same idea!!

I followed you. Let us know how it works out.

Can I join the fun?

Evidence:

This trip my planning spreadsheet has 41 tabs. One of them is so big and detailed I've named that tab "me...being ridiculous"

The husband has taken to setting the timer on his phone for 10 minutes any time I start talking about Disney. He says it's just too much information for him to process otherwise.

I love the anticipation and planning almost as much as the trip. We go hardcore from rope drop but do take an afternoon nap at the resort each day (and then back for more hardcore park touring until after close-we wait til busses have taken first few loads)

My best tip is cross-referencing all rides/attractions with backup attractions/rides. So, for example, if at HS, the wait for Star Tours is too long for our liking, I have a ranked mental list of what to do as backup (ranked by proximity, likely wait time, and overall priority). I have most if these memorized. But just in case, I print out a shrunken down version and take it with me to the park (along with the other applicable planning pages from our planning binder for that day)

My other tip is to actively plan in time for free choice-or the illusion of it-whenever possible. While my family knows I plan with their priorities in mind, they are much more spontaneous and like feeling like they are taking things as they come. So sometimes I'll act surprised if we come across a character and hide that part on my planning page that says exactly when/where to find that character :-)

:welcome: You are member #275:cool1: I to am a believer of having a back up list:thumbsup2, you never know what your going to encounter during the day, this also helps prevent the deer in headlights look:eek:

Since binders and spreadsheets have been the talk the last couple of days, Yes I also have my own version, it is a pocket memo book, with just about anything I would need to know from park hours, show times, character M&Gs, and even Bus Stop #'s to get wherever we need to get to:yay:, plus of course any ADR's and FP+s and plans for the day:good vibes

Now does everything get followed the way planned:confused3, Almost never:confused3, Something always seems to get pushed back or ahead, added, This is why having a plan with some backups is important for the just in case, and if everything goes smoothly you might complete your daily plan along with some of the backups:woohoo:

Wow... I was just looking at some of the current threads & noticed several posters expressing dismay over a change in park hours the week of Thanksgiving. I seems the parks are opening earlier & staying open later that week. The reason people are upset is because they booked pre-rope drop ADRs at CP & were looking forward to seeing Main Street empty, I have an 8:40 at CP on our last park day (2nd MK day). Originally the park was opening at 9, but as of today it's now opening at 8. I'm happy the extra time in the park but it is a little disappointing. Here's what the week is looking so far
11/23 ~ arrive at POR around 5pm, check in, dinner at the food court, swim, explore reality.
11/24 MK~ 8am-1am~ 9am BTMRR FP+, 1:10pm BOG FP, 2:25pm SM FP +, 8:25pm 7DMT FP+.
11/25 HS 9am-10pm ~ 9:20am TOT FP+, 11:10 ADR H&V, 12:45pm TSMM FP+, 2:25pm ST FP+.
11/26 AK~7am-8pm~9:20 Kali FP+, 10:45 EE FP+, 2:20 safari FP+, 6:15 Rainforest cafe ADR.
11/27~Epcot~9am-9pm~9:25 MS FP+, 10:25 TT FP +. 11:25 SE FP+, 1:10 ADR Teppen Edo, 6:30pm ADR , 6;45 ADR La Hacienda de San Angel.
11/28 MK-8am-12am~8:40 CP ADR, 9:40 story time with Belle FP+, 12;45 mermaid makeover at pirates league, 3 pm FOF parade FP+, 5:50 park fair ADR, 9:10 A&E FP+.
11/29 3am ME for 6am flight.

We are not doing park hopper & I don't believe there are any MVMCP that week. DD & I are traveling with my parents & sister (age 21). We'll be staying together some of the time & DD will also have some time off on our own. I have a lot of other things to do between FP & ADRs, but I'm typing this on my iPhone so that's all for now!

10 more days!!

:thumbsup2, You got all 4 parks in with 2 days at MK. On your 1st day and probably your AK day (since it usually closes early) you can explore the resorts, boardwalk, DTD or just relax:thumbsup2

There is a website that gives you all the locations and designs of all the current press penny & quarter machines on WDW property it is presscoins.com :thumbsup2

Right now I've got the weekend free, as DH and the Kids went to visit my MIL in the Gulf Islands. I'm stuck taking care of the zoo. I've got my DS11's Cinnamon Conure on my hand wanting a neck scratch as we speak, as she's really tame. You can flip her on your back in your hand and give her a neck scratch and she's fine with it. Still saving for the WDW trip, and staying the course. I'm still trying to decide if I want to head to Australia for 10 days in 2018 solo. With 3 flights, and travelling for 24 hrs, i'ts a bit daunting. I've got some penfriends who live in Perth I'm thinking about paying a visit to. Problem is I'm debating between Australia solo, or DL for 6 days for the family in 2018. Problem is that the trips are so far in advance, I've got too much time to think about it. I'll make the decision after the WDW trip. Have a great weekend everyone!

Trish

Australia, I would love to go there and go on Safari, but it's really expensive and way too long of a flight for me, but if you can swing it I would go there, you know your probably going to go to DL again, but Australia could be once in a life time:confused3

Mickey (mute), Minnie, and Goofy...the talking one is at MK

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hope your having a GREAT Time:goodvibes

According to my calculations it would be: YVR to LAX (a 3 hr flight), LAX to either Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne ( a 16 1/2 hr flight), then one of the cities mentioned to Perth (a 4 1/2 hr flght). Not including going through customs in USA and Australia, layovers between flights and the time difference between the 2 countries:scared1::scared1::scared1:. Basically 24 hrs in the air. I've been penfriends with a couple of women in Perth for close to 10 years. I'm at a crossroads, as to wether to continue to be friends with them, and like them enough to fly down to visit them, or end the friendships if I feel that realistically I know I'll never be able to go there. I've more or less decided to go down south and visit them in Aussieland, but am not ruling out a DL trip or another trip somewhere with the family. I won't make a decision until after the trip to WDW in 2017. All I know is that I'm keeping my options open, and know I'll be flying somewhere in 2018, the destination is yet to be determined. If I decide on Aussieland, then I'll be booking that trip through a good TA, as the time differences confuse:confused3:confused3 the heck out of me, especially when booking hotels in Perth.

DD & I went to see big hero 6 last night ... Excellent movie! Looking forward to meeting Baymax at HS (I was a little disappointed when I heard that he replaced Wreck It Ralph!!).

I found some pins (lot of 10, no duplicates) & Elsa/Anna lanyard on Amazon prime so DD can try the pin trading. My sister who is coming with us is into the pins also & has a good accumulation from previous trips.

So this is my commando question for the day is this ... Is it a bad idea to do Tom Sawyer island & the riverboat in the morning when it is (hopefully) less crowded? My mom wants to do these 2 attractions (not a priority for me, but want her to have fun !!). We were planning to do frontier land, adventure land & liberty square before 1:10 ADR/FP. We need to keep moving in order to accomplish this & I feel like these 2 take up more time... Would it be better to come back to these later or is that too much zig zagging ??

BTW.. My mom said that she is thrilled that I'm taking over the trip planning as she found it stressful when she had to do it when we were kids!

A week from now we'll be at POR. Can't wait!!

DD & I went to see big hero 6 last night ... Excellent movie! Looking forward to meeting Baymax at HS (I was a little disappointed when I heard that he replaced Wreck It Ralph!!).

I found some pins (lot of 10, no duplicates) & Elsa/Anna lanyard on Amazon prime so DD can try the pin trading. My sister who is coming with us is into the pins also & has a good accumulation from previous trips.

So this is my commando question for the day is this ... Is it a bad idea to do Tom Sawyer island & the riverboat in the morning when it is (hopefully) less crowded? My mom wants to do these 2 attractions (not a priority for me, but want her to have fun !!). We were planning to do frontier land, adventure land & liberty square before 1:10 ADR/FP. We need to keep moving in order to accomplish this & I feel like these 2 take up more time... Would it be better to come back to these later or is that too much zig zagging ??

BTW.. My mom said that she is thrilled that I'm taking over the trip planning as she found it stressful when she had to do it when we were kids!

A week from now we'll be at POR. Can't wait!!

My son loved Big Hero 6 and can not wait to go to the M&G:cool2:

I keep saying I'm going to buy a lot of pins off ebay, but never get around to it, I always seem to end up buying a 6pk set and a few extras while we are there, seem like it always comes to at least a $100 bill, I really got to get some off ebay:scratching

Me personally I would do TS Island and The Riverboat in the afternoon, my reasoning is that since The Riverboat can handle a large amount of guests, and TS Island you can walk around at your own pace. While a ride will have a longer wait time by the afternoon:confused3. But no matter what you decide to do or when the most important thing is that you have FUN:thumbsup2

We Have A New Thread - WDW Commando Club 2 - Magic Bands & FP+ Oh My

Please use this thread from now on since this thread will be closed shortly:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts