WDW Commando Club 2 - Magic Bands & FP+ Oh My

We've been priced out of going to WDW:eek:. At the end of June Westjet's package prices were in the range of what they've been for the past 1 1/2 yrs. For some reason, greed comes to mind, 1 1/2 weeks before I'm ready to book and pay for our trip with them they double the prices of their hotel packages across the board. Not just the values but all the way up to the Deluxe hotels. Air Canada's prices are much better than Westjet's but still out of our price range. We are still going on a family vacation in Jan, but are debating between DL, Alaska Cruise and Waikiki. Hawaii, is looking like the winner, as it's cheaper than a cruise. DS 13 has very conservative views on how women should dress. Where he get's this from we've got no idea as we accept all for who they are. It's worth the price of going to Hawaii just to see his expression when he see's a Hula dance. It's funny, yesterday I went on You Tube and called him into my office just as I put a video of a Hula Dance on. Never seen that kid escape my office that fast:laughing:. He refused to look at it, claiming the women were too scantily dressed. Just need to wait to see if DH can get the time off work for vacation, which won't be a problem. Even for my solo trip next year, I'm thinking of Hawaii, as for the price of 5 days at DL, I can go to Hawaii for $400 cheaper for 7 days. I have been loyal to Westjet, as I've had good experiences with them in the past flying. However, it's looking like the next family and solo trip's we'll be going with Air Canada, as while they are slightly more expensive, their flights are alot better than Westjet.

Sorry to hear it. Sadly, our Airport in town has only one flight to WDW, and that is Allegiant. They offer those low fly deals $49 one way, and then load it with fees. I can deal with that, however, on Spring and Fall Break, that price goes up to $449. Since it is one airport, they can do whatever they want. And before anyone goes all "supply and demand" economics, that is just theory in the classroom and not out in the real world where there is corporate price fixing (which is why gasoline is the same price everywhere). That is why we still make the 13 hour drive. :scared1::eek::scared1:

It is funny your 13 year old doesn't want to see scantily clad women. My 14 year old daughter is going through a feral hormone stage right now and some days are funny, some are sad, and some are run for cover. :lmao:

Hi Commandos,

Well I'm back in full commando mode. Just went from 0 trips to WDW since my solo trip NOV.2014!!!!!! to fully booked for April 2017. but wait I need to update you all on whats happened in the last year.

I am now officially a grandma! Last year my DD (Lil'Mudduck) told me see was expecting in June 2016 (shock and surprised ) and whats the first thing I planned "Thats great we'll take the newest Mudduck to WDW in Nov.2016 - with the rest of my "stolen" grandkids-aka Walkerducks"

Then in Jan 2016 we received bad news from the Dr. that the baby had Gastroschisis (bowels outside the body). We decided the cancel the Nov.2016 trip because of all the new challenges we faced. Lilah was born 6 weeks premature, on April 29/16. This began a 4 1/2 months stay at SickKids Hospital in Toronto. After 2 major surgeries, g-tubes, IV nutrition, meds etc. her mom & dad were able to bring her home mid Sept. She still has medical issues but she is very healthy, happy, beautiful.

Now the good part:

So the new little family was going to go on a cruise that Lilahs dad earned as a bonus for Feb.17, but after considering that medical stuff about taking a baby on a cruise, he decided that he could take them to WDW (using his bonus trip) which will be the safest for Lilah and we (the grandparents) could tag along! So we are going for Lilahs 1st Birthday - April 2017!

This was all decided yesterday. Today I booked ADR at Cinderella’s Royal table on Lilahs actual birthday!

Hi Commandos,

Well I'm back in full commando mode. Just went from 0 trips to WDW since my solo trip NOV.2014!!!!!! to fully booked for April 2017. but wait I need to update you all on whats happened in the last year.

I am now officially a grandma! Last year my DD (Lil'Mudduck) told me see was expecting in June 2016 (shock and surprised ) and whats the first thing I planned "Thats great we'll take the newest Mudduck to WDW in Nov.2016 - with the rest of my "stolen" grandkids-aka Walkerducks"

Then in Jan 2016 we received bad news from the Dr. that the baby had Gastroschisis (bowels outside the body). We decided the cancel the Nov.2016 trip because of all the new challenges we faced. Lilah was born 6 weeks premature, on April 29/16. This began a 4 1/2 months stay at SickKids Hospital in Toronto. After 2 major surgeries, g-tubes, IV nutrition, meds etc. her mom & dad were able to bring her home mid Sept. She still has medical issues but she is very healthy, happy, beautiful.

Now the good part:

So the new little family was going to go on a cruise that Lilahs dad earned as a bonus for Feb.17, but after considering that medical stuff about taking a baby on a cruise, he decided that he could take them to WDW (using his bonus trip) which will be the safest for Lilah and we (the grandparents) could tag along! So we are going for Lilahs 1st Birthday - April 2017!

This was all decided yesterday. Today I booked ADR at Cinderella’s Royal table on Lilahs actual birthday!

Congrats on the grandchild and what an ordeal. So glad to hear the baby is doing well. Have a great 1st grandchild Disney trip.

Thanks, you've gone in April before, right? How does the weather and crowds compare to Fall/Nov. timing?

Thanks, you've gone in April before, right? How does the weather and crowds compare to Fall/Nov. timing?

Mixed results. First time was great with really low crowd levels. Last time was way more crowded, but we picked parks all wrong. Usually, we go with the strategy of NOT going to the park with EMH. This time, we decided to add extra park days and I didn't plan it out well. Fall has gotten way crowded with the MNSSHP and F&W in October. I hear there is a week in November that is before Jersey week that us supposed to be lower crowds.

Hey guys! I don't know how many of you are around, but I miss all of you! I'm coming home in a couple of weeks and have been doing the browsing and searching bit on the boards but haven't posted much lately. I didn't really get the chance to post before my last trip and since then have been dealing with some nasty surgery issues and a bunch of family traumas that have kept me from getting back. But finally I get to be where my heart is and I couldn't be more excited or nervous! I am worried none of the old strategies are going to work with the new systems and I have been having issues finding what I want to on the threads. I need my trip planning help! Has anyone else noticed that the threads seem different than before in topics and info? I had to do a serious search to find this thread so I hope some of you are still around to tell me where I should head to so I can be with my "kind" hahaha :rotfl:

Hey guys! I don't know how many of you are around, but I miss all of you! I'm coming home in a couple of weeks and have been doing the browsing and searching bit on the boards but haven't posted much lately. I didn't really get the chance to post before my last trip and since then have been dealing with some nasty surgery issues and a bunch of family traumas that have kept me from getting back. But finally I get to be where my heart is and I couldn't be more excited or nervous! I am worried none of the old strategies are going to work with the new systems and I have been having issues finding what I want to on the threads. I need my trip planning help! Has anyone else noticed that the threads seem different than before in topics and info? I had to do a serious search to find this thread so I hope some of you are still around to tell me where I should head to so I can be with my "kind" hahaha :rotfl:

There are a few of around. The the new boards don't always let you know when someone posts to a thread. A lot of people have left for the FB groups.

As for strategies, mine are to try for that park opening stand-by ride, and then do your three FPs to your three favorite rides. After you book your last FP, then you can add more FPs. But, if you use FP for 9 PM fireworks, then you cannot get extra FPs until after 9. After you use your 3rd FP, while you're in the queue, use your phone app and book the 4th FP. Repeat. That strategy has worked best at MK because there is so much available. The FPs will eventually run out. So, ride early and eat late after FPs are gone and crowds start to clear.

Sorry to hear about a surgery and family issues, and glad things are better for a trip to wdw.

There are a few of around. The the new boards don't always let you know when someone posts to a thread. A lot of people have left for the FB groups.

As for strategies, mine are to try for that park opening stand-by ride, and then do your three FPs to your three favorite rides. After you book your last FP, then you can add more FPs. But, if you use FP for 9 PM fireworks, then you cannot get extra FPs until after 9. After you use your 3rd FP, while you're in the queue, use your phone app and book the 4th FP. Repeat. That strategy has worked best at MK because there is so much available. The FPs will eventually run out. So, ride early and eat late after FPs are gone and crowds start to clear.

Sorry to hear about a surgery and family issues, and glad things are better for a trip to wdw.
Sounds like a trip to find facebook groups are in my future! haha. Yeah the new FP system is going to be interesting for me since it changes the way I do things a bit. Some of the things I really wanted I couldn't get til evening and looking at fantasmic had me scratching my head. Great to be able to do it but not so great that it vetos everything else out since it is so late. Thanks again and it is always good to hear from you! Between facebook and what I can only imagine will become a somewhat odd bit of stalking the disney dads forums my plans just got more interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!