WDW before Cruise Transportation question . . .

KrisannB

DIS Veteran
ok need some adivice - we will be at WDW the days leading up to our next cruise at a WDW resort. We will be using DCL transportation to the port. I need som input/experiences about the following:

Can we/has any ever done this and if so how would it work - take the ME transportation BACK to MCO the day of the cruise to catch the early bus to port?

If we catch the bus from the WDW resort, can we check into the cruise at the resort? Does this save us time at the port, therefore making it a worthwhile to not get to port till later (I know the bus from the resorts do not get you there till 1 or 2.

OR our 3rd option - stay at WDW for 2 nights, we are doing Candlelight processional and doing Epcot on Friday night and after that take the ME back to MCO and stay the night in the Hyatt and do DCL transportation saturday morning.

Thanks for any input.

We've never taken the DCL transfers so I can't help with those questions.

I did want to say that if getting to the port early is important to you why not rent a car? Budget has an office in Downtown Disney. They will pick you up at your resort and bring you back to the office to pick up our car. Then you can drive to the port (making a grocery/water stop along the way if you want to), one adult can drop off the family & luggage and then return the car. The other adult can check everybody in while you are waiting for the driver to return.

I only suggest this because going all the way back to the airport to catch the bus (or to stay overnight at the Hyatt beforehand) is a bit of running around and the drive to the port couldn't be easier. Plus it will be less expensive than the DCL transfers.

Just a thought.

(If you do this make sure the person checking in has the driver's passport or birth certificate while the driver keeps his/her photo id to get back into the terminal.)

We did a land/sea package back in April. There is a DCL check-in desk at the lodge that can give you more info. If your's is a land/sea package, you will have to check-in with DCL desk to go over paperwork. They mainly checked to make sure we had all necessary papers for the cruise.

You have two tranport options.
First, you will be packed with your luggage in your room. You get a door hanger so Dis knows to pick up your stuff and send it to the cruise.

Options:
Get picked up at your hotel. We stayed at POFQ and the pick up time was 12:30 or so. Too much time to stay at the hotel but not enough time to hit a park.

Our second option was early open and B-fast at AK. They have a bag check for anything you want to carry on to the ship, then 1:00 - 1:30 catch a bus from AK to port. You have to pre-book that option.

Do as much checking in for the cruise as you can at your hotel.
We got to the ship and just had to check the kids in for the clubs. It took 5minutes and we were on the ship.

If you booked a land/sea combination package, you have the options from IM Grumpy above.

If you booked your land portion separately from your sea, you have more choices. If you booked separately, you will need to do 2 check ins--one at the resort, one at port (If booked as a land/sea package, you'll only check in once). We found it cheaper to do a Budget rental than to use DCL transfers, and you will have complete control of your time situation. Drop off at the port is quick and easy--drop Mom, kids, and luggage with the porters, then Dad goes to return the rental car while Mom checks in for the cruise. Dad hops the shuttle back to port and the vacation starts.

As to taking ME back to MCO--not good idea. First, since you are not boarding a plane, they will discourage this. Also, you will lose the baggage handling portion of the ME deal. They'll put your bags on the bus, but you'll get them back at MCO, go to the ME/Cruise bus desk and check in again for the DCL bus, etc. ME wants you on a bus 3 hours before your "flight," so you'll be leaving earlier than you'd like. Personally, it sounds like a big hassle. I'd do the car!

Okay--I also have a question now--We are leaving on the Wonder on 12/30 but a spending the night before at AKL. Will I get picked up at AKL or can I arrange for a pick up at AK?? I have not booked my transfers yet, but will in the next few weeks. Thanks.

Okay--I also have a question now--We are leaving on the Wonder on 12/30 but a spending the night before at AKL. Will I get picked up at AKL or can I arrange for a pick up at AK?? I have not booked my transfers yet, but will in the next few weeks. Thanks.

If you go to the thread I linked you to above, it answers this question.:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!