WDW Amazing Race for adults?

Edgehopper

Mouseketeer
I've seen lots of threads about Disney scavenger hunts or Amazing Race-style events aimed at kids (e.g., family with multiple kids splits up mom and dad with the kids to run the puzzle quest-type race). But if I can make the trip happen that I'm hoping for, I expect I'll have a group of adult, childless couples that would enjoy an Amazing Race kind of game through the parks, with a little higher difficulty level and possibly with more interesting food and drinks to throw in. So I came up with the route and clues below.

But I could use some help! Any comments on what I have, or suggestions for better ideas, are always welcome. But in particular, I can't figure out a good Roadblock for the DHS leg, and I need more weird World Showcase snack choices for one side of the Epcot Detour (particularly if anyone knows of unusual packaged foods in the stores rather than at the counter service restaurants). Also, my Epcot Roadblock has the potential to be mostly about waiting in lines, which isn't that much fun--does anyone with knowledge of the Future World post-show attractions and/or Innoventions have any for fun things to make people do?

And of course anyone who wants to try to organize something like this for their family or friends is welcome to use any of the ideas here.

MK Area leg:

Route info from Hotel: Start your day by going to see the biggest little star in the galaxy, direct from Yew Nork City (that's not a typo!) (Tomorrowland Terrace, by Sonny Eclipse).

Team Roadblock: Both teammates must work together on this roadblock. Ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, score over X points combined, and take a picture of the scoreboard to prove it!

Detour: Act or Speak

Act: Go to the Enchanted Tales With Belle attraction, and one team member must play a part, while the other must take video of their acting. Return to Pinocchio's Village Haus and show the video to receive your next clue.

Speak: Go to the Hall of Presidents. Write down or memorize the first two sentences of Barack Obama's speech, return to Pinocchio's Village Haus, and recite them correctly to receive the next clue.

Route Info: You can't get a drink in the Magic Kingdom this early, but take a short ride on Disney's iconic method of transportation to where you can drink out of a pineapple, for the first Pit Stop (Monorail to Polynesian for the bar).

Epcot Leg:

Route Info from Polynesian: You'll be travelling all around the world later, but first head to where you can sample the world's soft drinks. (Club Cool)

Team Roadblock: Second Star to the Right

There are 3 rides in Future World in which you can fly. One is gentle but has a long line. One is very intense but usually has a shorter line. And the third may have the shortest line, but may not be that obvious. Ride one, and either take a picture of your ride photo or some other proof that you rode it. Both teammates must ride. When you're finished, show the picture to the person waiting at the International Gateway for your next clue.

Or

Roadblock: Experience the Future!

Something with the post-shows in Future World--hard to figure out.

Detour: Sightsee or Snack
Decide whether you want to find some of the hidden spots in the World Showcase or try the most unusual tastes in the World Showcase.

Sightsee: All World tourists need pictures of their trip! Get pictures of yourself with the following backgrounds and items:

A Christmas Pickle
A quotation from Ayn Rand
The Terra Cotta Warriors
Lesser known Disney characters Jose Carioca and Panchito Pistoles
The Nejjarine Fountain
A hedge maze
Canada's hidden waterfall

When you're done, head to the African Outpost for your next clue.

Snack: Try some of the most unusual snacks and drinks the World Showcase has to offer! Make sure to get pictures of faces after you try them.

Beverly, a soft drink at Club Cool.
A shot of Mezcal at Mexico.
[Insert bizarre Japanese packaged food from Mitsukoshi]
[fill in more here]

Route Info: After running two legs of the race, you'll need a refreshing drink. Head to where you can get a crepe and Epcot's best alcoholic slush to check in at the Pit Stop. (By the France Grand Marnier slush stand, of course).

Leg 3: DHS leg.

Route Info from France: Take a pleasant boat ride to the next location, where you can pick up the next clue by crates scheduled to ship to Tara Planation, Bialystock & Bloom Theatrical Producers, and Xanadu Compound. (The crates next to Min & Bill's Dockside Diner).

Detour: Create or Solve

Create: At DHS, you're the star! Or the animator, or the director. Both teammates must try their creative hands at the following places:

Draw a character at the Animation Academy.
Create a sound track for an animated movie at the Sound Stage
Do your best actor impressions with photo ops on a Star Wars speeder,

Solve: Some things at DHS are just wrong. Figure out what they are and take a picture:

A subway station that doesn't really exist.
A Scrabble game that didn't follow the rules.
A Statue of Liberty with a non-human Lady Liberty
A lion that's actually a dog.

When you've got pictures of all of them, check in at a coffee shop that used to on Ellen DeGeneres's sitcom for your next clue. (The Writer's Stop)

Roadblock: ?

Route Info: Wrap up your day at the most accurately named Pit Stop, by DHS's mechanic shop for, if you wish, a traffic light margarita (The stand near Lights, Motors, Action).

This looks like sooo much fun! But who will be giving the clues and stuff? That is what seems like a lot of work :/

This looks like sooo much fun! But who will be giving the clues and stuff? That is what seems like a lot of work :/

My assumption is that my wife and I will have to do the organizing/clue-giving, and some of it will be over the phone rather than in person (especially if a team gets 2 stops ahead of another team, or gets lost). But generally it'll be an alternating kind of thing--e.g., I hand out the starting Route Info cards to the group at the hotel, instruct them to give me a 15 minute head start so they don't see where I'm going, have my wife already set up at Tomorrowland Terrace while I head to Buzz Lightyear, and when everyone gets past TT, she heads to Village Haus to set up for the next challenge; when everyone gets past Buzz Lightyear, I head to the Polynesian to set up for the Pit Stop. Work, but I enjoy running games.

This looks like a BRILLIANT way for a group of adults to spend a day. Especially for a group of WDW vets. Talk about finding a new way of keeping the parks fresh and interesting. Great job, and I hope you'll keep us posted on how your plans shape up and how the actual race goes!

It's been a while since we last stopped to look at the pre-packaged food offerings at Mituskoshi, but they usually have some very unusual (to us) items. Hopefully someone who is there now can give you some great advice.

I hope you can come up with an idea for your DHS roadblock. Sorry, I've got nuthin.

Sooo....ummm...can I tag along on your trip? :rolleyes1

Anyway, I did a little Googling for interesting options at Mitsukoshi in Japan and found this:

packaged snacks

"extreme" candy

I'm thinking the little dried crabs are gonna be the biggest "extreme" bang for your buck :rotfl:

Good luck!

Do all your friends know the answers to the clues?
I'm fairly WDW-savvy and I don't know some of them. Would they be able to look up the answer on a smartphone?

I second the vote for dried crabs in Japan.

Future World short-line things might include:
-The game at the end of Mission Space (they don't have to ride MS, they could go in the exit and get to the game faster)
-Visiting the manatees in the Seas Pavilion (because Manatees are awesome)

Do all your friends know the answers to the clues?
I'm fairly WDW-savvy and I don't know some of them. Would they be able to look up the answer on a smartphone?

I second the vote for dried crabs in Japan.

Future World short-line things might include:
-The game at the end of Mission Space (they don't have to ride MS, they could go in the exit and get to the game faster)
-Visiting the manatees in the Seas Pavilion (because Manatees are awesome)

Dried crabs it is! Still need other examples of crazy things to try in other countries (there has to be enough to make it take a similar amount of time to the Sightseeing challenge). Odd-seeming drinks are OK too--maybe a shot of Aquavit at Norway? But it's not supposed to be things that are obviously tasty--nothing challenging about having a Karamell-Kuche caramel-covered cookie.

My expectation with difficult clues is that they can always ask a cast member, or if they have to they have cell phones. Which clues do you think are too difficult? The ones I think may be a little on the tricky side are:

MK: The Sonny Eclipse clue, but that should be very easy to Google if necessary.

Epcot: The quotation from Ayn Rand (It's front and center at the American Adventure pavilion, just go straight through the front door--and it should be easy to guess than it would be in the American Adventure pavilion somewhere), and the Nejjarine Fountain (fairly easy to guess it's in Morocco, and I'd bet a cast member can point you to it once you get there).

DHS: These are all supposed to be puzzle-ish, and I'd bet you can guess at least three of the items' general locations without exact knowledge of what you're looking for.

The trick with the Epcot post-ride stuff is that it's supposed to be somewhat challenging--a score to beat, a puzzle to solve, an unusual thing to do, etc. (but not something where they need to rely on luck to be picked--e.g., "ask Crush a question" or "Get a taste of a massive wave on the Pearl Harbor set.") What can I have them do with the manatees other than look at them? Is there something cool and interactive to do in The Seas' post-show? Wasn't there something weird to touch in that lab area by Turtle Talk?

For the DHS roadblock--my problem is that I don't want two scavenger-hunt type challenges in the same park. I was thinking of a Roadblock looking for movie scenes and props hidden throughout the prop (like Eddie Valiant's office from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), but that seems too similar to the Detour Solve option. If I could find another Detour option, that would work too.

OMG, I am crying from jealousy! Why doesn't anyone I know do fun stuff like this!! I was accused of being a little crazy on last trip...maybe I can do a fundraiser and get sponsors so that I can join in..we have no trips planned, hoping for 2014...

Hi, my name is $%#& and I like Disney World...

What fun! For some of your Epcot Roadblocks you could have them got to the Great Piggy Bank Adventure and require them to achieve their goal, or e-mail you a Runtime video from the IBM exhibit. (I'm assuming this is still there. I haven't been since IBM unveiled its new exhibit). Depending on crowds and the comfort level of your group with simulators and the sensation of going upside down, you could require they go to Sum of All Thrills and achieve a certain level of thrill points.

In Japan Poky is good snack food to require or they could get what my daughter calls bubble soda. (I can't recall the name of it at the moment.) It is a soda with a marble in the cap that you have to push into the bottle to drink the soda. Both Poky and bubble soda are available in the Mitsukoshi store, and the soda you can also get from one of the kiosks outside. Maybe the Poky too.

This isn't weird, but we had the hardest time finding these treats- In France they have these little chocolates that you can buy for something like 50 cents. If I hadn't read about them on the DIS I would have never known they were there. Even then we had to ask where they were.

This is a really cool idea. Wish I knew some other people who could do the race with me & DW. :earsboy:

You get bonus points for your creativity. I love this idea and too wish I was travelling with your group. Great job and have fun!!

This looks really fun. My main concern would be the time frame. How long were you expecting this to take?

This looks really fun. My main concern would be the time frame. How long were you expecting this to take?

I was hoping I could fit it into a day assuming that DHS has PM EMH. The MK leg should be about 2.5-3.5 hours, Epcot about 4.5-6, and DHS another 3 or so.

Edgehopper said:
I've seen lots of threads about Disney scavenger hunts or Amazing Race-style events aimed at kids (e.g., family with multiple kids splits up mom and dad with the kids to run the puzzle quest-type race). But if I can make the trip happen that I'm hoping for, I expect I'll have a group of adult, childless couples that would enjoy an Amazing Race kind of game through the parks, with a little higher difficulty level and possibly with more interesting food and drinks to throw in. So I came up with the route and clues below.

But I could use some help! Any comments on what I have, or suggestions for better ideas, are always welcome. But in particular, I can't figure out a good Roadblock for the DHS leg, and I need more weird World Showcase snack choices for one side of the Epcot Detour (particularly if anyone knows of unusual packaged foods in the stores rather than at the counter service restaurants). Also, my Epcot Roadblock has the potential to be mostly about waiting in lines, which isn't that much fun--does anyone with knowledge of the Future World post-show attractions and/or Innoventions have any for fun things to make people do?

And of course anyone who wants to try to organize something like this for their family or friends is welcome to use any of the ideas here.

MK Area leg:

Route info from Hotel: Start your day by going to see the biggest little star in the galaxy, direct from Yew Nork City (that's not a typo!) (Tomorrowland Terrace, by Sonny Eclipse).

Team Roadblock: Both teammates must work together on this roadblock. Ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, score over X points combined, and take a picture of the scoreboard to prove it!

Detour: Act or Speak

Act: Go to the Enchanted Tales With Belle attraction, and one team member must play a part, while the other must take video of their acting. Return to Pinocchio's Village Haus and show the video to receive your next clue.

Speak: Go to the Hall of Presidents. Write down or memorize the first two sentences of Barack Obama's speech, return to Pinocchio's Village Haus, and recite them correctly to receive the next clue.

Route Info: You can't get a drink in the Magic Kingdom this early, but take a short ride on Disney's iconic method of transportation to where you can drink out of a pineapple, for the first Pit Stop (Monorail to Polynesian for the bar).

Epcot Leg:

Route Info from Polynesian: You'll be travelling all around the world later, but first head to where you can sample the world's soft drinks. (Club Cool)

Team Roadblock: Second Star to the Right

There are 3 rides in Future World in which you can fly. One is gentle but has a long line. One is very intense but usually has a shorter line. And the third may have the shortest line, but may not be that obvious. Ride one, and either take a picture of your ride photo or some other proof that you rode it. Both teammates must ride. When you're finished, show the picture to the person waiting at the International Gateway for your next clue.

Or

Roadblock: Experience the Future!

Something with the post-shows in Future World--hard to figure out.

Detour: Sightsee or Snack
Decide whether you want to find some of the hidden spots in the World Showcase or try the most unusual tastes in the World Showcase.

Sightsee: All World tourists need pictures of their trip! Get pictures of yourself with the following backgrounds and items:

A Christmas Pickle
A quotation from Ayn Rand
The Terra Cotta Warriors
Lesser known Disney characters Jose Carioca and Panchito Pistoles
The Nejjarine Fountain
A hedge maze
Canada's hidden waterfall

Snack: Try some of the most unusual snacks and drinks the World Showcase has to offer! Make sure to get pictures of faces after you try them.

Beverly, a soft drink at Club Cool.
A shot of Mezcal at Mexico.
[Insert bizarre Japanese packaged food from Mitsukoshi]
[fill in more here]

Route Info: After running two legs of the race, you'll need a refreshing drink. Head to where you can get a crepe and Epcot's best alcoholic slush to check in at the Pit Stop. (By the France Grand Marnier slush stand, of course).

Leg 3: DHS leg.

Route Info from France: Take a pleasant boat ride to the next location, where you can pick up the next clue by crates scheduled to ship to Tara Planation, Bialystock & Bloom Theatrical Producers, and Xanadu Compound. (The crates next to Min & Bill's Dockside Diner).

Detour: Create or Solve

Create: At DHS, you're the star! Or the animator, or the director. Both teammates must try their creative hands at the following places:

Draw a character at the Animation Academy.
Create a sound track for an animated movie at the Sound Stage
Do your best actor impressions with photo ops on a Star Wars speeder,

Solve: Some things at DHS are just wrong. Figure out what they are and take a picture:

A subway station that doesn't really exist.
A Scrabble game that didn't follow the rules.
A Statue of Liberty with a non-human Lady Liberty
A lion that's actually a dog.

When you've got pictures of all of them, check in at a coffee shop that used to on Ellen DeGeneres's sitcom for your next clue. (The Writer's Stop)

Roadblock: ?

Route Info: Wrap up your day at the most accurately named Pit Stop, by DHS's mechanic shop for, if you wish, a traffic light margarita (The stand near Lights, Motors, Action).

This is the most wonderful post I have ever seen on here. Thank you! Its a must do for our ex-cast member reunion in august. :)

Awesome! Amazing! Totally fabulous!!

You need someone to video tape this whole thing. Lol i would watch it!!!

For Epcot, I know you said weird foods, but I thought is there an abnormally large meal??? Yknow like the kitchen sink at the beach club. It could be fun to factor that in somehow. Just a thought. :)

dzaharchuk said:
OMG, I am crying from jealousy! Why doesn't anyone I know do fun stuff like this!!

Agreed! I'm green with envy. My friends are lame in comparison.

OP, have you considered going into business? People would sign up for challenges like this. Maybe trophies and gift cards as prizes.

This is a much more cool business model than the pixie event thing I've read about. Of course you'd have to change the name. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts