water in POTC boats still an issue! (small rant)

I understand it's annoying, but at the same point you're going to dry off at some point. This isn't the end of the world. You are at Disney, an experience many families do not get.

It's really more of a pick your battles kind of thing.

if i were to bring 2 sets of walking shoes i may not mind but i'm going from friday morning to sunday morning and packing carry on only and only bringing the shoes on my feet.
i guess i have already picked my battle because i'm not going on in order to save my shoes lol

You did not used to get wet on PoTC. And to say that it is a boat ride so you should expect to get soaked is ridiculous. That is like saying you should expect to get soaked on Small World, Jungle Cruise,El Rio de Tiempo, the new Frozen Ride, and Living with the Land.

We got soaked with our then 13-month old and I was livid. We weren't expecting it and we have been on the ride many times. Her first haircut certificate was ruined.

Last week we rode and clearly stated we didn't want to be in the front row. We sat in the third row and the floor was wet, but. I standing water. I was smart enough this time to shield my daughter during the drop and pick my feet up, so only a small strip of my thigh got wet.

I'm skipping it in February. Don't want to be wet when it's likely not that hot out and especially not if I'm wearing socks and sneakers. No biggie for me as it's not a fav but a mild disappointment.

I haven't read the thread in it's entirety, but we have never encountered this issue- ten trips to Disney, with the last being a month ago. Not saying it's not happening! Just wondering how we've been lucky the last few trips!

Last edited:
I was in MK on Halloween. have ridden POC probably 50 times. We we loaded in a very full boat, there was 4 of us in the front row. We got to the drop and the boat stopped, for like at least 15 minutes, then finally let us drop. We were soaked from the neck down. The ride then stopped, and we had to wait for CM's to push boats around wearing Cabella Fishing Waders, until we were in a position to evacuate. All in all, I think we used up about 1.5 hours of our day. They gave us a few fast passes.... but the only thing we wanted to do was go back to the room and change our clothes. I know I'll never sit in the first row again!

This sounds yucky and is a real departure from the POTC we've enjoyed in the past. I don't like getting soaked in the park, especially in winter (love Splash Mtn, but we know what to expect & wear ponchos). Don't know if we'll poncho POTC or just skip it- always liked it but not a top favorite. Bummer- hope Disney addresses the problem. It's supposed to be a relaxing, scenic ride, not a thrill 'n' spill.

We experienced similar issues earlier this month. My daughter and our tour guide were sitting in row 1, he on the left side, and he was soaked from the waist down. The left side of my daughter's dress was drenched. This boat also had standing water when we got into it and everyone walked off with soaked feet. Every little bump meant the water already in the boat would pour over our feet.

I've experienced a few drops of water on POTC, maybe even one of my lower legs wet. But never close to enough to say anyone would get soaked. When I think of soaked I think of Kali.

We ride Pirates every time we go and have yet to see anyone get more than a little bit of water. Your chances of staying dry are far better than being soaked. It's a slight possibility, but I think it's foolish for anyone to avoid the ride because they think they'll be soaking wet.

There is water in the ride. I don't understand how anyone can expect to not get water on them? It makes no sense. Complaints to GS because of the physics of water on a BOAT ride?
In all of my trips to Disney World and DIsneyland, I have *never* gotten so wet on Pirates that I was soaked for hours after riding. Until our trip to Disneyland 2 weeks ago. The amount of water that came up into the boat was entirely different than any other experience I've ever had on Pirates. I had water up to just below my shoulders, and my pants were soaked. It took 6 *hours* to completely dry out.

Expect a little splash? Sure. That's all we ever used to get on Pirates. What's happening now is entirely different than what it used to be. There is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I've experienced a few drops of water on POTC, maybe even one of my lower legs wet. But never close to enough to say anyone would get soaked. When I think of soaked I think of Kali.

We ride Pirates every time we go and have yet to see anyone get more than a little bit of water. Your chances of staying dry are far better than being soaked. It's a slight possibility, but I think it's foolish for anyone to avoid the ride because they think they'll be soaking wet.

We have been making annual trips to WDW for over 20 years & ridden Pirates several times each trip. We never got stuck or had more than a few drops of water on us until the last year. Both have happened to us within the last year. We will make an educated decision about the risk to our comfort & enjoyment of the ride thanks to the reports of current & recent guests & our own recent experience. Nothing FOOLISH about it.

Have you ridden POTC recently?

I would have said that until our DLR trip. We got significantly wet on both rides through POTC. The first time was wet enough that my camera got wet through my shirt (I had put it under my shirt as we went down the first drop). The second time was what I described already above. And we hadn't heard the reports of this being a problem at DLR before our trip - though there are other reports on the DLR board of this happening recently there as well (as well as reports of new boats entering the fleet there too).

At this point I would not take an infant on this ride, and I would always ask to be in the back and wouldn't ride if I weren't OK getting wet. I wasn't expecting to get Splash Mtn. wet, and it wasn't really appreciated.

Then I'll be foolish next month. Thanks.

We rode MK POTC last week and I got soaked. There was at least 1 inch of water in the boat. At the bottom of the drop, water poured in on me. I was sitting second row from the back. It really would not have been a problem, except for the fact that it was 10PM and 57 degrees outside. I had to go back to the hotel because I was wet and cold.

There is water in the ride. I don't understand how anyone can expect to not get water on them? It makes no sense. Complaints to GS because of the physics of water on a BOAT ride?

Next time you ride Living With the Land I'm going to wait at the exit and dump a huge bucket of water in your lap. You won't complain because it is a water ride. Right?

yes it's a water ride in the sense that the thing you sit on moves through water (as compared with a flying elephant or omnimoving doombuggy) but it's not a water ride in the sense that rider should expect to get wet (like splash or Kali)

Last edited:
Then I'll be foolish next month. Thanks.

I am also considering being foolish next week as well. I will wait and see how cold it is before I get on POTC. I have absolutely no desire to prance around the MK after dark soaking wet if the temps drop. I actually do not want to get soaked at all.

I am also considering being foolish next week as well. I will wait and see how cold it is before I get on POTC. I have absolutely no desire to prance around the MK after dark soaking wet if the temps drop. I actually do not want to get soaked at all.
But would you prance around if you were warm and dry? o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter