Walt Disney World is not mobility impairment friendly!! If you're disabled, Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is common for restaurants to stop taking orders a half hour before close so that they have time to make your food and you have time to eat before they close.

no it's not. if they did they wouldn't stay open. believe me those restaurants wouldn't last very long beyond the gates of epcot.

I'm very sorry your experience was less than magical. However, I'm trying to understand a few things.

1) Did you not have a handicap placard for your car? If you don't have one, then the CM was correct in telling you your car could be towed if you parked in a handicapped space. That's the law. A note from a doctor isn't sufficient. You perceived the CM as "threatening" to have your car towed, but he would have been simply doing his job which is to make sure that the cars parked in the handicapped spaces have the appropriate placards or plates that indicate they are allowed there.

2) Did you research ahead of time what rides would necessitate a transfer? There's tons of information here and at allears.net, as well as in guidebooks, that you might have found helpful in preparing you for touring the parks with a disability. A stop at Guest Services could have also been helpful because they can provide you with a pamphlet that could have assisted you in knowing which rides would be more accomodating. A trip to Disney parks goes more smoothly with research and planning, whether the guest is disabled or not.

3) You really tried to get to all 4 major parks in one day? :scared1: As an adult without disabilities, I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself if I was so rushed to make it to all 4 parks in one day. I have a special needs daughter, and there's no way I could press her to do 4 parks in one day without it being a complete disaster.

4) The fact that Via Napoli stops seating at 8:30 is in no way connected to your having a disability or not. Again, a little research ahead of time would have been helpful. And I'm not sure why you still left rather than staying to watch Illuminations. If you had gotten seated at Via Napoli at 8:30, you would have missed Illuminations anyway. Since you didn't get seated, why not stop and see the show that you had been looking forward to?

I wish I could feel more sympathetic to your situation, but it seems there were many things that you want to blame Disney for that were within your own control.

I'm very sorry your experience was less than magical. However, I'm trying to understand a few things.

1) Did you not have a handicap placard for your car? If you don't have one, then the CM was correct in telling you your car could be towed if you parked in a handicapped space. That's the law. A note from a doctor isn't sufficient. You perceived the CM as "threatening" to have your car towed, but he would have been simply doing his job which is to make sure that the cars parked in the handicapped spaces have the appropriate placards or plates that indicate they are allowed there.

2) Did you research ahead of time what rides would necessitate a transfer? There's tons of information here and at allears.net, as well as in guidebooks, that you might have found helpful in preparing you for touring the parks with a disability. A stop at Guest Services could have also been helpful because they can provide you with a pamphlet that could have assisted you in knowing which rides would be more accomodating. A trip to Disney parks goes more smoothly with research and planning, whether the guest is disabled or not.

3) You really tried to get to all 4 major parks in one day? :scared1: As an adult without disabilities, I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself if I was so rushed to make it to all 4 parks in one day. I have a special needs daughter, and there's no way I could press her to do 4 parks in one day without it being a complete disaster.

4) The fact that Via Napoli stops seating at 8:30 is in no way connected to your having a disability or not. Again, a little research ahead of time would have been helpful. And I'm not sure why you still left rather than staying to watch Illuminations. If you had gotten seated at Via Napoli at 8:30, you would have missed Illuminations anyway. Since you didn't get seated, why not stop and see the show that you had been looking forward to?

I wish I could feel more sympathetic to your situation, but it seems there were many things that you want to blame Disney for that were within your own control.

at the parks they have designated medical parking that is a few rows beyond the handicap section, we were not allowed to park there.

I had everything you describe before we left and got a wheelchair access card when we 1st arrived. I budgeted just enough time to do everything I knew was possible ar 3 of 4 parks.

if you point out where any website states that all restaurants close a half hour before they close the park I'll be impressed.

I'm sorry I can't afford more than 1 day at the parks and wanted 1 last horrah.

Will have to agree with the statement Universal and Sea World both accomadate the disabled much better thatn WDW. We have decided that regardless if we go back is of no concern to WDW as thousands of newbies will. and so the World goes on

I can speak that none of what occured in regards to you happened to us.

I took my mom to WDW 5 times last year and we're leaving in 12 days to go again. She is in a scooter when we are there, cannot walk more than 2-3 steps due to needing knee replacement, and cannot bend her knee to transfer.

She loves Disney because of how they can treat her like a normal person. We go to usually 1-2 parks per day to pace ourselves. I help her get in and out of rides. We have a system and it works. For example, on Pirate's...I place our bags on the seat, have her stand while I get in, I then help her guide her bad knee in first and then she'll step in carefully. It typically takes me all of my strength to help her bend her knee to get out of the boat. I've had CM's help me by holding her arm, encouraging. We know to ride the "boat" rides in the early morning or evening while everyone else is on other rides.

We've stopped the ride at Haunted, Buzz. We've riden Buzz three times in a row because she loved it that much and they were accommodating. Granted, it was not during a peak time and park attendance was very low.

As for the meals...Via Napoli is operated by an operating Participant, NOT DISNEY. I find the CM's at that restaurant very un-accommodating when it's just me by myself, let alone with anyone else.

As for the parking, we do not park in handicap anyway because my mom uses a scooter. She can scooter her way to the monorail and I can walk.

The buses.... I second what someone else said about the marquee being incorrect. I never rely on those anymore.

My mom called me today and said "I'm beyond excited to go to Disney in 12 days! I decided that I won't do anything that requires a lot of physical activity for the three days prior so my leg is good to roll! By the way, can we meet Mickey first thing?"

She loves it and I love Disney even more because they let her have fun while accommodating her.

no it's not. if they did they wouldn't stay open. believe me those restaurants wouldn't last very long beyond the gates of epcot.

Yes it is. It is a completely reasonable to request that you not arrive too close to close. Just because it is outside of your experience does not mean it is uncommon. They probably didn't list it on the website because social norms are supposed to be common knowledge and, again, because it's fairly common. Not only that, but it is rude to expect that someone will remain open after they are supposed to be closed to accommodate you, even if you're running late. It happens sometimes when people are feeling lenient, but it is rude to demand it. Always.

ETA: Please stop attacking everyone who does not agree with you. I know you're frustrated, believe me, I understand. I fight every day to get the accommodations I need to make it through my day, but the way to deal with it isn't snapping at people for the mere offense of not agreeing with you or, heaven forbid, having had a different experience than you.

No. It is possible to get a walkup

Not always. I have seen quite a few reports and had personal experience where they turned away walkups. The only way to guarantee getting in would be to have an ADR.

OP, you can get as mad as you want, but the point is that Via Napoli stops seating at 8:30PM. I don't see the huge deal in it. They told you the rules and stuck by them. You wanted them to bend the rules for you. When they didn't, you cried it was unfair.

Also, unless you have a HA plate or tag, there is no promise for special parking.

Most of your post had nothing to do with being disabled. It had to do with little things you got upset about. It was about some people keeping to the rules instead of bending them. Honestly, from what YOU stated, there is little to nothing there that shows Disney is not friendly to those with disabilities.

I am sorry you had a rotten experience for your last hurrah at Disney World. That really sucks. :( Our own recent Disney experience was almost all positive in regards to disabilities, but I am very sorry that what you experienced was not.

I am glad that your experience at Universal was better, we also experienced the very best service from the staff there. It was wonderful.

dantracyjr said:
if you point out where any website states that all restaurants close a half hour before they close the park I'll be impressed.
No website states that because it's a false assumption on your part.
You discovered at 8:35 PM that Via Napoli stops seating at 8:30 PM. You stayed there for an undisclosed length of time arguing with the hostess instead of opting for one of the many other table service or counter service restaurants in World Showcase. Assuming facts not in evidence. :sad2:

Hindsight being what it is, if you'd taken the boat between DHS and Epcot, you would have been delivered to the International Gateway entrance. Not only would this have cut out that ten minute or whatever run - but you would have started earlier, probably, since the boat wouldnt have passed by the dock; and the wheelchair wouldn't have had to be secured.

Most of the restaurants I have worked in seat a half hour beyond their closing time because you can't provide excellent service by turning people away. This is the first time I have ever experienced a restaurant closing a half hour early than what was posted. And they all closed early.

Keep in mind there are differences between a restaurant in a theme park and anywhere else. They have to close at a certain time as they need to have all guest out of the park so they can bring in the maintenance crews to get the park ready for the next day. Often that will mean driving trucks and other vehicles around the paths.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

On the completely opposite side of the coin my paraplegic brother who cannot walk at all moved to Florida to work full time at the Walt Disney World Resort. because of how accessible it is and the way he gets treated. He literally changed his life around because of the way Disney handles his mobility "impairment".

Since this is a discussion forum I just thought I'd provide the complete opposite experience because it exists! :goodvibes:):flower3:

And as others have noted, I would contact the Petina Restaurant Group with your Via Napoli concern as it is not owned and operated by the Disney Company.

I'm so sorry, it stinks when you spend so much money and are disappointed. I have read on this board about adult wish trips, maybe you could look into that for you and your fiancé. :goodvibes

Sorry you were disappointed but I have to agree with a good amount of the other posters that a great deal of what you encountered wasn't Disney's fault.

I had everything you describe before we left and got a wheelchair access card when we 1st arrived.
What is a "wheelchair access card"? If you are talking about a Guest Assistance Card you do not need one if you are in a wheelchair or ECV or even using a cane.

The medical parking is patrolled by the Orange County Sheriff's Office. They are very happy to write $250 tickets for any vehicle parked in medical parking without either a disabled plate or hang tag. A few years ago I forgot to hang my tag and got a ticket, but since I was able to show that I did have a tag my fine was reduced to only $20 for failure to display. And a plate/tag from any State, Canadian Province, or country is accepted by the Sheriff's Office. A doctor's note has not legal standing.

So, probably not want you want to hear but I don't think your letter--in which you threaten Disney that you are going to post it on every disabled website, etc. -- will get you anywhere. You "may" have encountered some Cast Members with responses you deemed rude, but I don't think the ADA prohibits "rude"---otherwise it sounds to me like you tried to jam too much into one day.

4 parks in one day. In fact, At both MK, AK and Epcot the OP went not just into each park, but to basically the back of each of them.

I'm surprised the OP got that much done in a day. Crowds must have been very low.'

I agree with the rest of your sentiments in this post. Aside from the Haunted experience, the rest doesn't seem to have anything to do with being disabled. The bus passing by... could be for any number of reasons. I was once at the resort waiting for a bus and as it pulled it, the sign changed. I was upset but I seriously doubt it had anything to do anything other than reassignment from bus HQ.

100% correct about parking in a State marked handicapped parking spot. The CM would have been allowing the OP to break the law by parking in one of those spots (assuming the OP didn't have the placard, which is sounds like he didn't).

For the OP,

I'm sorry you had a bad day. Unfortunately bad days can happen to anyone.

It sounds like you got a lot done and unfortunately lost control at the end. As you admit, you threw a "tantrum".

I wish you luck.

Will have to agree with the statement Universal and Sea World both accomadate the disabled much better thatn WDW.

That I won't agree with. To our experience Universal was way less wheelchair-friendly than WDW. We think WDW is one of the most wheelchair-friendly places, perhaps on the planet. Second only to DCL :goodvibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter